Come join others currently navigating treatment in our weekly Zoom Meetup! Register here: Tuesdays, 1pm ET.
Fill Out Your Profile to share more about you. Learn more...

Radiation October 2018

Options

Comments

• Sidalee
    Sidalee Member Posts: 113
    Options

Congratulations Dreamers and InnaB!

• mwlimelite
    mwlimelite Member Posts: 34
    Options

Big hugs to Dreamers and Inna for finishing the rads! Make sure to celebrate in some way!

I'm 7 days out. Trying to wait patiently for my radiated skin to peel off but it ain't happening as quickly as I'd like. Most of my nipple has peeled but the rest has not budged. Maybe it won't, who knows. Still using My Girls cream and Aquaphor which are soothing. Swelling is down maybe a little but hasn't really changed in the past week and I'm still pretty sore inside. Any other lumpectomy sisters feeling residual soreness in their affected breast?

• Spoonie77
    Spoonie77 Member Posts: 532
    Options

MWLimeLite - You're not alone. I felt that soreness and swelling for nearly 3 weeks after my reg RADs stopped (2 weeks after boosts). Just yesterday I was finally able to stop wearing my compression sports bras that I'd been living in 24/7 since day one of RADs in order to deal with the pain of being unsupported. No way I could wear an underwire, even if I wanted to! Haven't been able to wear one of them since surgery. One of these days, maybe by Christmas.

Hopefully in a week or so more you'll notice a dramatic difference. I really think it takes quite a bit for a tissues to realize they are no longer under attack. Hang in there!

• mwlimelite
    Options

Thanks, Spoonie! That is good to know. I'd love to get a massage but there's no way I could lay on my stomach!

Glad to hear it gets better!

• egregious
    egregious Member Posts: 145
    Options

Congratulations Inna!

Good luck in the future!

• GreenHarbor
    GreenHarbor Member Posts: 187
    Options

mwlimelite, I’m 2 weeks out from the end of treatments. During treatment, I had random twinges in my breast. The radiation nurse said it could be from surgery (nerve endings reconnecting), or from the radiation. I still get them occasionally, but less often and less painful. I was able to lie on my stomach at my yoga class last night. I haven’t tried an underwire bra on in a month or so; I may try this weekend and see. I have a seroma that’s shrunk a lot too. Everything has to heal. It’s hard to be patient, I know!

• mwlimelite
    Options

Thanks, Green Harbor! I definitely have those random twinges too. I'll try to be patient - good to know there's a light at the end of the tunnel. The good news is, I am back in my underwire bras and doing OK with that. :-)

• palesa2018
    palesa2018 Member Posts: 58
    Options

Congratulations Dreamers and Inns!!

• domzie30218
    domzie30218 Member Posts: 47
    Options

Ladies!!!! I'm done with rads! Finished 33/33 today! My skin is super angry but I am so happy about being done, I don't even mind it that much. Good luck to you all!

• GreenHarbor
    Options

Yay, Domzie!! Wishing us all healing skin and more energy! Gentle hugs to all....

• wised
    wised Member Posts: 184
    Options

Yeah Donzie! (My phone autocorrected to Fonzie) Smile

• Sidalee
    Sidalee Member Posts: 113
    Options

Congrats Domzie!

• Dreamers1989
    Dreamers1989 Member Posts: 19
    Options

4 days post final rad. Man my boob looks and feels awful. I think I was going through the motions to get through the treatments but only now digesting what happened and realizing how barbaric it is to just continuously burn the same body part day after day after day after day. Thrilled to be done but wondering if there may be some ptsd that comes of this! Anyone else feeling emotionally overwhelmed by this? any tips?

• Dreamers1989
    Options

.... and congrats Domzie!!!

• InnaB2018
    InnaB2018 Member Posts: 766
    Options

Congrats, Domzie

• GreenHarbor
    Options

Dreamers, I was lucky enough to have manageable physical side effects. I found radiation much harder emotionally. My daily routine was totally disrupted and each treatment was one more reminder that yes, I really do have breast cancer. What helped was getting back to my regular routine as soon as I felt like it, and plenty of rest. I’ve tried to view surgery, radiation and anastrazole as necessary tools to treat cancer, and to be grateful that I have them. Truthfully, that’s easier some days than others. Although, when I just typed “anastrazole”, I just had to type “ana” before auto fill took care of the rest. I think I’ll choose to view that as an LOL...

• egregious
    Options

Domzie - WOOHOO!

Best of luck to you in the future.

• egregious
    Options

Dreamers - happy for you that you finished your radiation. I have heard from others that the couple of weeks after rads can be rough for side effects as the body tries to return to normal.

Do you have hormone treatment coming up? Or are you finished with your treatment plan?

Gentle hug to you and to all who need encouragement.

• wised
    Options

Green harbor, my auto fill does that as well...

• wised
    Options

Dreamers, I agree with you... It seems like we should be further along in our evolution of cancer care than this slash/burn/poison tx. It's hard bc we realize that the tx affects EVERYTHING in order to kill a few rogue cells.

• wised
    Options

I am having my dry run on Sunday, and if all goes well, my RO will approve my first tx to follow immediately... I'm simultaneously thrilled and horrified. Srsly.

• Dreamers1989
    Options

thanks for the responses ladies :) ❤️

Egregious: yes ! Tamox starts week after next :) best wishes to you during your rads. I did not experience any side effects until my 17th of 20 treatments then boom suddenly the skin looked super upset

Currently using generous amounts of pro shield with non stick pads under my moms ultra comfy genie bras from the shopping channel haha. Got the salt water soaks twice a day also. They said the first two weeks it gets worse before better. Hope so cause I have a killer post breast cancer trip planned for December 15 haha

Love and warm hugs for you all

• wised
    Options

Dreamers, I love the idea of a post breast cancer tx trip! Where are you going? Also, how do you do a salt water soak and is it helping?

• Dreamers1989
    Options

Dwiseley-I’m going to Anguilla - a slice of heaven in the Caribbean :)

At night after I shower my partner soaks a soft cloth in saline solution and I lie back with some towels around me and she’ll rest the cloth on my chest and then do maybe like 3-4 rounds of fresh soaks. In the morning I’ll use the pre soaked gauze and place it on my breast. Very soothing. Few minutes. Then pat dry and slap on a boat load of pro shield

• wised
    Options

Dreamer, Anguilla sounds heavenly! Allow me a moment of intense envy!

I hadn't heard of saline therapy but it seems like it would be soothing! Thanks for the idea. I'm hoping that I won't get too burned, but I'm putting everything in my arsenal just in case!

• domzie30218
    domzie30218 Member Posts: 47
    Options

Thank you Ladies! It feels great to be done! Now here’s hoping the skin recovers soon. I’m peeling and blistering where they did my boosts, which happens to be at my mastectomy incision scars. I’ll start Tamoxifen on December 1st. Hoping to resume a normal life again. Hugs to you all

• GreenHarbor
    Options

I’ve been thinking a lot this Thanksgiving about gratitude. I have much to be grateful about this year: an early diagnosis, a great treatment team, wonderful family and friends. The women on this thread have a special place in my heart. It meant so much to have this group that was going through the same thing I was. Even if I didn’t post everyday, I was at least reading the posts to see how everyone was doing. The rads were really hard for me emotionally, and you all were a big part of what got me through it. I’m thinking of you all with love today, and sending each of you a hug. Happy Thanksgiving!!

• mwlimelite
    Options

Green Harbor,

Thank you for your post! I too felt Thanksgiving was extra special this year. I feel like I dodged a bullet and am very grateful. I agree 100% about this thread - you and all our October rads sisters really helped keep me going. Through the miracle of the interwebs, this intercontinental group of strong beautiful women all going through the same thing were able to connect. Thank you all for being out there and posting! Hugs back! Enjoy the holidays to the fullest this year!

• Dreamers1989
    Options

Happy thanksgiving from Canada! I studied in the US and miss my American thanksgiving traditions! echoing the ladies above. Thankful to be alive and thankful for this board and all the brave women I’ve come to know. May you be blessed with peace and good health:)

In boobie news. The rawness is giving way to new and soft skin which kinda sorta looks like my own. I can cuddle again with my partner without wincing so that’s been nice :) Still a ways to go but if any sisters out there are in pain or raw post rads I’m not even two full weeks out and feeling so much better. Keep the booby cleansed with salineand slathered with proshield (or whichever cream recommended to you) and all will be well soon.

Xoxo

• palesa2018
    palesa2018 Member Posts: 58
    Options

Hi everyone, so good to hear from you all. A month out of radiation and I'm finding it strange to not be on active treatment. I'm very grateful and not complaining at all! Just very strange to be carrying on with 'normal' life. Went for a swim today with the kids and had so much fun. On both tamoxifen and Zoladex now. So far so good. Skin also healed just a bit of discoloration and stiffness. I'm considering physiotherapy.

Hugs to you all!