Come join others currently navigating treatment in our weekly Zoom Meetup! Register here: Tuesdays, 1pm ET.
Fill Out Your Profile to share more about you. Learn more...

Radiation October 2018

Options
15678911»

Comments

• RiRi11
    RiRi11 Member Posts: 70
    Options

Hi All and Happy New HEALTHY Year!!

I am popping in because I am wondering if any of you are experiencing pain. Oct 29th was my last treatment and lately I have a ton of breast pain and pain under my arm. Almost like the feeling of a pulled muscle. I did tell my RO at my follow up visit and they scheduled physical therapy. Hopefully that will help.

Also I have to say I am surprised at how well I am doing on Tamoxifen. I'm only having hot flashes.

Hope you all are well :)

• mwlimelite
    mwlimelite Member Posts: 34
    Options

Hi RiRi and all!

Thank you for posting this! I have been experiencing the same thing (last rad tx was 11/5). My soreness and swelling seems to come and go, getting better than suddenly getting a little worse again for no apparent reason. Nothing like it was during rads though, thankfully. My pecs and upper ab on that side (right below the breast) are very very tight. I try and do stretches every day to loosen them up, but if I miss even one day, it gets tight again. GRR. My RO said that the muscles get tight from rads, but I might also have some lingering cording from surgery, so I guess it's just a matter of keeping up with the stretches and hopefully eventually things will get back to normal. When I had my surgery follow up on 12/17, the nurse said that this is all normal and will go away with time, and recommended heat so I use a heating pad every night. PT will definitely help!

I'm kind of scared to jinx it, but I've been on Tamoxifen since 11/23 and have had no side effects whatsoever, except possibly a missed period (which was not a bad thing!).

HAPPY NEW YEAR to all my rads sisters! Amen to the healthy part!

• Dreamers1989
    Dreamers1989 Member Posts: 19
    Options

hey all! Same!!! Soreness now developing on the side of my breast and under my arm. Last rads was nov 12.

Some hot flashes here and there on tamox but I’m usually freezing so oddly enough the hot flashes are welcomed!

Gonna start swimming again to see if that helps loosen things up.

Happy new year!

• GreenHarbor
    GreenHarbor Member Posts: 187
    Options

So glad to hear from others in the same boat. I finished rads on 10/30, and in the last week or so have been having tightness in my armpit and under my breast, as well as random intermittent soreness throughout my breast, almost like I had right after surgery. I'm doing gentle stretches everyday, and will try adding heat as well (thanks for the tip, mwlimelite!). In happier news, the only side effect I've been having from the anastrazole are horrible hot flashes. They were affecting my sleep and overall quality of life, so my MO put me on a low dose of Effexor. Within a day or two, the hot flashes were less often, less intense, AND I began sleeping better. Wishing you all continued healing!

• InnaB2018
    InnaB2018 Member Posts: 766
    Options

I finished radiation on Nov. 12 and developed lymphedema in my right arm a few weeks later. I hate it all...

• palesa2018
    palesa2018 Member Posts: 58
    Options

Hi all, to a healthy 2019 indeed! I finished rads on 22 Oct and did experience tightness and random intermittent pain across the breast for weeks after that. I tried to keep up with stretches and can now say things feel more comfortable and looser. Because I had a BMX with implants below pec, my PS has kept me on Singulair for 3 months post rads to prevent capsular contracture which is worsened by rads. That has helped a lot.

Also doing well on Tamoxifen and Zoladex thankfully.

Best wishes to all.

• Dreamers1989
    Dreamers1989 Member Posts: 19
    Options

hello lovely ladies! Checking in to say hello and ask if any of you have the post radiation cough my RO said may arise a few months after radiation? At first I thought it was my old funky humidifier that was getting to me but that’s been off for two weeks and the cough is peristant. Like a tickle in my throat. Anyone else notice something similar. I guess it’s because the lung tissue may have been exposed. I’m seeing my RO feb 4. Will get more info.

• palesa2018
    palesa2018 Member Posts: 58
    Options

Hello Dreamers, no cough on my end. I did do a CT scan post radiation and it revealed some effect of radiation but I'm not experiencing symptoms . My skin has also cleared like it never happened. I still experience stiffness in the arm and I'm thinking about physiotherapy.

• CarolAnnieLumpLump
    CarolAnnieLumpLump Member Posts: 54
    Options

We had that clinger flu bug that lasts for weeks so it’s hard to tell. Hope it clears up for you soon. I am still so stinking tired! Not sure if it’s from rads or arimidex. I finished rads on November 29th

• mwlimelite
    Options

Greetings, gals from the October 2018 rads group! Happy 3 year survivorship anniversary!

I have been thinking a lot about this whole cancer experience (typically do from July-Nov) and remembering how important it was to have this community during that time. So I thought I'd reach out to see how you are doing.

The pandemic has been rough emotionally, but I have managed to stay healthy. Have slipped a little from my strict exercise, plant-based, goody goody 2 shoes regimen, but I suppose that happens over time. I'm still staying away from sugar, which is important because THAT is a slippery slope for me. I'm on Tamoxifen and knock on wood, still not feeling any major side effects. Starting to heal emotionally, little by little. Some of the PTSD from that year has subsided and I don't freak out every time I slip away from healthy habits anymore.

How about you? I don't even know if anyone is following this thread anymore, but thought it was worth a shot!

Gentle hugs,

Michelle

• GreenHarbor
    GreenHarbor Member Posts: 187
    Options

imageMichelle, thanks for posting! I can't believe it's been three years. Other than the initial diagnosis, rads was the most emotionally difficult for me. The support of the women on this thread made such a huge difference to me. I am thankful for you all

The pandemic has been stressful for sure, but I've remained healthy. I've been able to work from home, so feel fortunate about that. Health wise I'm doing great, with one exception. After 2 1/2 years on anastrazole, my bone density declined to *almost* osteoporosis. My MO switched me to tamoxifen, which I have been tolerating well.

Finally, here is a picture of my “pandemic puppy", Lucy. She's almost 1 1/2 now and is a Miniature Schnauzer. She's sassy, snuggly and incredibly smart. Sending you all love and hugs….

• mwlimelite
    Options

Green Harbor, I'm so glad to hear you are doing well and staying healthy! Thanks for the update. Lucy looks adorable and so snuggly! Cheers to many more positive reports from our sisters here.

Love and hugs!

Michelle

• domzie30218
    domzie30218 Member Posts: 47
    Options

Michelle,

Thanks for posting! This community has been so helpful when I was in the thick of it. I’ve been well and healthy, and over the last 3 years have gotten engaged, and now married! I can’t believe it’s been 3 years and at the same time, I can’t believe it was only 3 years ago. Love and sending good health to all our sisters here

• RiRi11
    RiRi11 Member Posts: 70
    Options

congratulations Domzie!! Happy to hear you are well and healthy. Sending love & light to all the sisters

• mwlimelite
    Options

Domzie, that is fantastic news! Congratulations and thanks for the update. Sending warm wishes to everyone and hoping for more updates as we enter year 4.