Come join others currently navigating treatment in our weekly Zoom Meetup! Register here: Tuesdays, 1pm ET.
Fill Out Your Profile to share more about you. Learn more...

Radiation October 2018

Options

Comments

• Spoonie77
    Spoonie77 Member Posts: 532
    Options

Thanks ladies. How are ya'll doing now that RADs is finished? Hope you are seeing daily improvement. :)

I wish my SEs where improving. Sadly, they seem to be getting worse.

Full treatments ended 10 days ago. Boosts ended 5 days ago. Guess I have to call my RO on Monday and see if I need to come in. My treated breast is really starting to firm up and will not "jiggle" at all. Up until this week, both breasts would act like each other in jiggliness. Skin is tightening up too, despite putting on 3-4 applications of my rxd creams and staying super hydrated. And I now have twinges and sharp pain in my treated armpit, looks like my lymph nodes there are swollen more than usual and very hot. Hope it's not an infection....

Am pretty depressed by all this and the rest of the SEs --> the redness is back to increasing for some reason, I'm bruising on my cleavage side of the treated breast (unknown reason, maybe swelling from boost area? I really don't know!) and my skin is starting to peel off AGAIN. Le Sigh.

I just want to start feeling back to my normal self. I want this stuff to start healing. Frustrated.

• Frog-on-the-lilypad
    Options

Congrats on finishing rads Mwlimelight. I believe you will be done today. I am sorry if the dates dont add up. I am in NZ and its monday morning here.

Thankyou Egregious.

Spoonie, glad to know I am not the only one with sharp stabbing pains. Mine is at the boost area. Skin has become dry and all the pores look enlarged. I was holding up good skinwise until the second last day of rads.

Yesterday was a good day. I could enjoy our spring weather, outdoors. Did not do anything ambitious, but I had the energy to make plans and follow through.

Stay warm everyone and drink lots of water

• Dreamers1989
    Dreamers1989 Member Posts: 19
    Options

hello my rads-sisters!

Hope everyone had a lovely weekend:) Just got out of the shower and noticed pore enlargement also but in addition to that it almost looks like the hair follicles are burnt or freckled? Is this normal? For the ladies who have completed rads, does this go back to looking like it did before. Other than this the skin does look pinkish and breast is tender but nothing unmanageable :). Seeing RO tomorrow for weekly check in

• Spoonie77
    Options

Dreamers -- I had multiple SEs since the first week of my RADs. One of them was significant pore enlargement and extreme swelling/redness in the treated breast. It's normal for some, I'd say, but not most. Many here seemed to have no to little SEs through their treatments. I'm sorry you're dealing with that. I was told living in my compression bras, 24/7, through treatment would help minimize/reduce the swelling and pore enlargement (they look sunken in). It was the only way I could tolerate the pain and heaviness in my breast anyway, well that and the pain rx I eventually was given when it got to be too much. Hang in there. When you see your team & RO be sure to tell them/show them what's going on and ask what steps you can do to prevent this from worsening and be proactive for yourself. Good luck!

• GreenHarbor
    GreenHarbor Member Posts: 187
    Options

Dreamers, I developed what looked like pimples. When I asked the radiation nurse, she said that they were in fact hair follicles that got zapped. I’m 6 days after my final treatment, and mine are already healing.

My skin has continued to look tannish and I do have some swelling and internal soreness. I have a small seroma (been there since surgery); I will be happy when that absorbs. My worst side effect is fatigue. I notice it all day, but more so in the afternoons. I wish I had pushed myself more to get some exercise as I hear that helps. I’m doing what I can and being gentle with myself. Still keeping up with the calendula cream twice a day. Wishing you all an easy week!

• mwlimelite
    mwlimelite Member Posts: 34
    Options

Thank you, Frog! How cool that we are all here bonding across continents, thanks to the magic of the interwebs.

I am officially done! I got a diploma and lots of hugs. :) I brought in a thank you card and gift basket full of "healthy" chocolate and treats for my team to thank them for taking such good care of me. I will not miss going in there every day, even though I will miss seeing those ladies.

SE-wise, I can't complain. Since the boosts started last week, my breast is starting to feel squishy again instead of firm like it was for a while with the swelling that I had. I've been doing the wing exercises and stretches which feels like it's helping. It'll be interesting to see once the swelling goes down, if it gets even smaller like they say can happen with rads.I will echo what Spoonie said about the compression. I had to start wearing a sports bra again soon after starting rads, due to swelling and it seems like this kept it in check.

I do still have pain zingers and shivers (with cold temps) now and then, from surgery which I know will take a while to resolve. My skin is a little bit tan but not red, a little itchy but manageable. THANK YOU "MY GIRLS" CREAM!!! The only irritated part is the skin on my nipple that has been finely peeling little by little. I also have the "freckly" look which is confirmed to be zapped hair follicles. Funny, the only place I didn't apply the cream was in the armpit, which is definitely drier and much darker, more affected by the whole experience. I didn't know the armpit would be affected so I didn't lube up that far! LOL

This afternoon I see my MO again for more details on the next phase.... Tamoxifen.

Best wishes to all my October rads sisters! Stay positive and keep your eye on the prize! Today during my last session I pictured myself with my husband, both of us healthy at some ripe old age.

XOXO

• egregious
    egregious Member Posts: 145
    Options

Hey mwlimelite,

Congratulations on finishing!

Woohoo! Good luck going forward.

• Me2018
    Me2018 Member Posts: 12
    Options

Yeah Monday...

I completed my last boost this morning. Happy face. I had 34 treatments and 10 boosts over 22 days (2x/day radiation). SE wise - not horrible. I am red and sore on my treatment area, and VERY tired, but really can't complain too much.

I wish us all quick recoveries for the upcoming Holiday season.

• domzie30218
    domzie30218 Member Posts: 47
    Options

Hi Ladies,

I'm on my 25th treatment today, 3 more to go and then 5 boosts. My skin is getting quite irritated especially on my armpit where the creases are. I also have dots all over my boob which my RO also said were zapped hair follicles. Recently, I've also experienced some sharp sudden pains, very small areas, almost like someone is stabbing me with a safety pin. I was doing so well for four weeks and then last week, BAM! I'm hoping my skin holds up and my implant does not get extracapsular contracture. My RO ok'ed supplements for me as long as they are not antioxidants. Wishing you all a swift and uneventful recovery!

• Dreamers1989
    Options

does anyone know if the zapped hair follicles will look normal again after rads :/

• palesa2018
    palesa2018 Member Posts: 58
    Options

congratulations mwlimelite and me2018 on completing rads!! Wishing you all the best with the next phase of treatment!

Dreamers1989, the hair follicles do get back to normal and the skin renews. Two weeks out I can see a very big improvement with my skin, a layer coming off and new skin coming in

• Sidalee
    Sidalee Member Posts: 113
    Options

Hi Ladies, congratulations to everyone that is finishing up, I hope most are feeling better. Spoonie, still thinking about you girl, have you called your RO to have them take a look? I am so sorry this has been so tough for you.

I finished rads on Friday and I rang the bell while my doctor and techs clapped for me. Yesterday was my first Monday that I didn't have to go, what a great feeling. I'm still really tired despite walking at least 30 mins x 6 days per week the whole time I was receiving tx. I am pretty red around the edges of the rads field especially on and just above my collarbone, but overall my skin is doing really well. I am still wearing the Mepitel Film for now. My RO told me I could take it off anytime, but I can see the little red dots on the skin underneath and it seems logical to just leave it on for now. I'll probably just let it peel off mostly on it's own and just cut away the excess. My throat still hurts if I try to swallow anything very dry or too big of a bite. I will see my RO for a follow-up in about 4 weeks.

Hang in there everybody, please keep us posted on your progress!

• Frog-on-the-lilypad
    Options

Sidalee, my RO recommended to keep the mepitel on for at least one more week then its my choice. Like you I have also decided to keep trimming the edges. She also mentioned that if and when I decide to take the Mepitel off to do it in the shower gently. The skin underneath is sensitive.

I am 1 week past radiation. Fatigue is getting better.

Thankyou Palesa and Green Harbour for sharing your experience. Right now my left breast looks quite batterred.

Congrats Me 2018 on fiishig rads, you go girl. Domzie hang in there. How are you holding up Mwlimelight and Spoonie and egregrious?

InnaB, I hope you are having a restful week. Have not see you in either this thread or the April chemo.

• egregious
    Options

Hi Frog,

Glad your fatigue is getting better.

They *finally* decided no sentinel lymph node surgery so I can get the radiation simulation scheduled. So hopefully actually getting post-lumpectomy treatment soon. I'm over on the new November radiation group and hope to be more than just an observer this month!

• mwlimelite
    Options

Frog, I'm holding up well. It was nice not to have to go to the hospital this AM before work! I have been extra tired the past few evenings and sleeping a lot. But I really can't complain.

Glad to hear your fatigue is improving! Keep up the good work, all!

• Spoonie77
    Options

Hi everyone - Have some good news to report. LOL, finally right?! :)

Welp, 16 days after my "normal" RADs txts finished, and a 9 days since my boosts ended, I can finally say that my skin is on the mend!!!! Wooooot!

I'm still peeling, still pink (but hey it's NOT red and angry rectangle anymore!!), still sore, still living 24/7 in my compression bras to manage the swelling, still lathering on the rx creams and lotions, BUT I'm making progress! I'm off of the antibiotics that kept infection away due to my skin loss. New pink skin has appeared under the areas that were raw, my nipple included! At this rate, maybe in less than 2 weeks I can say I'm just a little tan! That would be awesome! Fingers crossed!

Now if I could get my mental health under control -- ugggh the switch from Cymbalta to Pristiq in order to possibly start Tamoxifen (still on the fence about it due to my QOL) has been awful -- I'd be batting 2 for 2! ;)

Hoping the rest of you ladies continue to heal and move on from the RADs SEs. Congrats to everyone who I didn't get the chance to say congrats to as of yet! We are all stronger than we think!

Hugs to all! Keep healing and keep living life!

• Sidalee
    Sidalee Member Posts: 113
    Options

Outstanding news, Spoonie! So glad to hear that things are improving :)

• mwlimelite
    Options

Spoonie, that's fantastic news! Thanks for the update and keep fighting the good fight!

Hugs back!

• journeyforward
    journeyforward Member Posts: 32
    Options

Hi everyone,

I finished my 8 of 21 RADS today. I'm doing well, so far.

I remember before starting the RADS, asking my RO nurse about vitamin C supplements and there was no mention of me stopping taking during radiation due to interference of absorption of radiation. What evidence shows that Vitamin C supplements interfere with radiation absorption? Are there studies that show it is contra-indicated? If so, somebody please share. Thanks.

• egregious
    Options

Hi journeyforward,

There's also a November radiation discussion, maybe we'll see you over there.

Good luck on your treatment.

• Spoonie77
    Options

JourneyForward --> This might help explain why ...

https://www.breastcancer.org/treatment/radiation/types/ext/expect/vitamins

http://www.ascopost.com/issues/july-25-2014/avoiding-antioxidant-drug-interactions-during-cancer-treatment/

(the 2nd link has links to studies to support the avoidance of antioxidants)

• GreenHarbor
    Options

Glad to hear from you, Spoonie!! It’s great to learn that some of your side effects are easing up. My skin is tan, with one small pink/itchy area. It hasn’t gotten worse. I’m keeping up with the calendula cream, with OTC cortisone cream for the itch part. I’m still feeling the fatigue. Wishing you all continued healing!

• journeyforward
    Options

Thank you for sending the articles and I will discuss this further with my RO on Monday. The second article was published July 2014, information about cancer is changing rapidly.

• Frog-on-the-lilypad
    Options

12 days post radiation, not much fatigue. I took off the mepitel. The skin was all dry underneath but bounced back with cream after a few hours. Looks tanned. Underside of the breast is peeling. Still in bra 24/7 as that helps with pain or irritation.

Hope you all ae doing good and feeling better.

• GreenHarbor
    Options

I’m 13 days post rads. The fatigue seems to be lifting finally - today was the first day I felt like “me”. My skin’s looking better. I ran out of calendula cream this morning, which I’m taking as an omen. ;-) I’ll switch to a regular moisturizer for a few more days. Wishing you all continued healing

• journeyforward
    Options

Well, I spoke with my RO about anti-oxidant supplements. He said as long as I am not taking high dosages of anti-oxidants I will be fine to take Vitamin C at 500 mg daily.

• Dreamers1989
    Options

Finished radiation!! I’m ecstatic to be finishing even though my boob is raw and red and sore. So greatful to the radiology staff at Princess Margaret for their excellent care. My partner is in wine so we brought a bunch for them to say thank you. My parents, brother and childhood best friends were there to watch me ring the bell. Was an overwhelming moment.

Thank you to all the ladies on this thread for sharing your stories. For those of you who also underwent chemo im in awe of your bravery and strength and commitment to this extremely challenging treatment. God bless all of you.

Will fill that tamox in a couple weeks.

• egregious
    Options

Way to go, Dreamers!

Congratulations! Best of luck on your tamox.

• InnaB2018
    InnaB2018 Member Posts: 766
    Options

And I am done!

• Spoonie77
    Options

Way to go Dreamers and Innna!!! Congrats on being done and over with this part of your journey!

Wishing you both speedy healing!

((((healing hugs to all who need a bit extra))))