Come join others currently navigating treatment in our weekly Zoom Meetup! Register here: Tuesdays, 1pm ET.
Fill Out Your Profile to share more about you. Learn more...

Chris Beat Cancer

Options

Comments

• WC3
    WC3 Member Posts: 658
    edited October 2018
    Options

Chemo came about from German chemical warfare during WWI...war has driven many technological innovations and advances in medicine.

I am not claiming that big pharma is entirely altruistic. I am just pointing out that the field of medical research as a whole is not entirely greed driven either.

You are correct that all cancers are unique. Even within a single tumor there can be variation of the genomes of the cells. I believe the most promising up and coming treatment for cancer, and perhaps even a cure, will come from immunotherapy.

• LiveWellToday
    LiveWellToday Member Posts: 2
    edited October 2018
    Options

There is a lot of talk about drugs here but little talk of radiation. I want to say that I really wish I had taken the natural approach. I got my surgery (bilateral mastectomy-stage IB) on June 6 of this year. I rushed into a very aggressive radiation because of micromets and two small foci of LVI. Most people think radiation is just a natural consequence of breast cancer. But it isn't. I was in the grey area--half the docs recommeding it and half against it. I was doing so well before radiation. Juicing, herbal Chinese medicine, supplments. All that is gone because my GI system is shot. My arm hurts and my TE hurts . If I could turn back time, I would trust my body and my gut rather than letting male ROs who never told me of the side effects who don't care about me to scare me into radiating my breast skin, chest wall, all lymph nodes. All on my left side. Lesson: Stick with drs you trust and trust yourself to heal (especially if you are in a grey area).

• edwards750
    edwards750 Member Posts: 1,568
    edited October 2018
    Options

I read the bio about the Wellness Warrior who was a promoter and advocate of the Gerson Method which is the 13 glasses or organic juice a day, 5 coffee enemas a day and a vegetarian diet. This is the method the lady you mentioned followed leading her to being NED after 5 years. Hey I’m happy for her she’s passed a milestone.

The lady dubbed the Wellness Warrior had a rare cancer and her mother had breast cancer. Both died from the disease despite their natural food and treatment lifestyle. Ironically she was an Australian living in Sydney.

As for testimonials I probably wouldn’t be swayed by those because most of the time they aren’t forthcoming with the whole story of their so called miracle cure.

To each her/his own but I for one am just not buying that propaganda. As for the poisons of chemo killing women I’m sure it has. There are no meds or treatment without risks. Hopefully in my lifetime they will discover one.

Diane

• Lantana70
    Lantana70 Member Posts: 14
    edited October 2018
    Options

Hey Diane,

I heard about that story. She a pretty u usual cancer and I am sorry she died.

All I can tell you is this, if the doctors gave me no hope, I'd turn to natural therapies 100%👍

• edwards750
    edited October 2018
    Options

Lantana - I might do the same.

Diane

• Lantana70
    edited October 2018
    Options

I not against conventional. In fact i grudgingly take tamoxifen even though I have terrible side effects. I do this because I have 3 young kids and I don't want to kick myself if I got a reccurance in the future.

However, I also take turmeric, vitamin C and I have cut back on meat and sugar. I just want to do all ican to look after myself. This has been the biggest wake up call for me.

Love to all

• WC3
    WC3 Member Posts: 658
    edited October 2018
    Options

Lantana70:

I'm glad at least something positive has come out of the cancer for you. My grandmother also changed her diet after her second breast cancer. I don't know it it helped anything as far as her breast cancer went but I think it probably did improve her quality of life compared to what it could have been.

• 1redgirl
    1redgirl Member Posts: 94
    edited October 2018
    Options
    Came upon this article on the Oprah website. Also watched two videos of her visiting this man. Her face tells it all. Pretty funny. Apparently blood makes her queasy. Anyway, there are some interesting nuggets in this article about changing one’s life and believing.

http://www.oprah.com/spirit/spiritual-healer-john-of-god-susan-casey/all
  • 1redgirl
    edited October 2018
    Options

This doctor gets it. Great video by a well educated man looking at both sides of the coin. Nothing weird, just acknowledgment of many things we simply do not understand with western medicine.

Also this.

https://m.youtube.com/watch?v=BwfE67Uf1EE

• 1redgirl
    edited October 2018
    Options
    listen to the 2nd interview as well. it is more recent I believe, plus the person doing the interviewing had an interesting experience.

IMO, this guy gets it. Because of his extensive medical training he is in the middle on this issue. He does say in this 2nd interview, he too found resistance to his awareness including his own wife and peers. It has been a life change for him. I would love to interview him. He has an Amish background which is interesting as well. So such a mix in his journey. BTW, I am surrounded by Amish. Because of riding my bike everywhere, I see things with the Amish I want to desperately ask them about. I also met a woman who had breast cancer 10 years ago. She had a mastectomy. Took chemo and hormone therapy. She is also very tied to her church. I asked her questions about her cancer, and interestingly she knows very little. I mean almost zero. She did as told. She does say the drugs permanently hurt her joints, but she is alive.
  • edwards750
    edited October 2018
    Options

I second that wrenn. I might consider it in addition to but never in lieu of. Too big of a gamble. I am always skeptical of these claims but I certainly don’t fault someone for going that route if they sochoose. Likewise I expect the same for the conventional route I took. Plead your case on its merits but not by criticizing others who don’t agree.

Diane

• 1redgirl
    edited October 2018
    Options
    This is the alternative section, NOT for those adamantly opposed to anything but conventional therapies. The rest of the board is dedicated to the conventional methods, which BTW, fail many as well. I know. My best friend died taking all those toxic drugs. I still never ever was negative about her decision. Not one single time. I was her biggest cheerleader. Resistance to alternative solutions is based in fear.

This doctor “gets it”, because his mind is free from fear. He recognizes he does not understand those that have defied the death sentences given to patients by the medical community. The medical community are not gods. They are humans that are flawed and equally fearful of what they do not understand.
  • sandcastle
    sandcastle Member Posts: 289
    edited October 2018
    Options

1redgirl....I AGREE, with you this is suppose to be a SAFE place for us to come too! Liz

• Lantana70
    edited October 2018
    Options

my sentiments exactly Redgirl!!! Perfectly worded

• Dhanno
    Dhanno Member Posts: 33
    edited October 2018
    Options

Bump for this thread ,Loved reading it

• meow13
    meow13 Member Posts: 1,363
    edited October 2018
    Options

I was told I was crazy for not doing chemo because my oncodx score was 34. Glad I didn't do it. I am open to less toxic treatments even if they are not conventional.

• divinemrsm
    divinemrsm Member Posts: 6,034
    edited October 2018
    Options

I was diagnosed stage four right out the gate in early 2011.

I did the big treatments that year (see my signature line) and I'm all for complimentary medicine. Upon educating myself, I began taking tumeric, vitamin D and fish oil. I upped my water and added more fruits and veggies to my diet.

For various reasons, I didn't exercise and eventually weighed 25 more pounds than I did prior to diagnosis. I eat something with sugar every day, I eat meat and ocassionally drink alcohol. At stage iv, I chose not to deprive myself of delicious food and some memorable meals as it felt like I'd be punishing myself. Nor could I throw myself in to juicing and enemas and such as it felt far too drastic. About a year ago, tho, I began a walking routine and lost 20 pounds over 6 months and am happy about that.

I'm not one who believes stress “causes" bc, but I'm a huge believer in eliminating stress as a healing method, and I cut as much out as I can. A big component of that is learning to put myself first and not feel guilty about it, learning to stand up for myself and learning to value my opinions and insights and to have confidence in my perspectives. This has been an ongoing process.

Also, very importantly, and I'm not sure the alternative/complimentary fields give this enough attention, but I started doing *more* of what I really wanted to do and less of what I didn't want and was doing out of obligation. I've learned to simplify chores and my household clutter. I speak up when others are crowding into my space and taking advantage of my time. I started traveling more and developed new hobbies like coin collecting.

It is in hindsight that I see how suppressed I was in so many areas of my life. I went around thinking life was good enough when in fact, I wanted more but did not allow myself to go after it. I was conditioned into being submissive.

A common statistic is that women with mbc live about 3 to 5 years after diagnosis. Yet, here I am, stable and living with metastatic breast cancer for almost 8 years.

It wouldn't have happened without conventional treatment. Tho I made adjustments in my life, I did not deprive myself of parts of my life that I still loved.

Radical Remission was an excellent book, and another great book along the same lines is Mind Over Medicine by Lissa Rankin MD. Also, The Blue Zones: 9 Lessons For Living Longer From the People Who’ve Lived the Longest is another book that’s very insightful.

• Lantana70
    edited October 2018
    Options

that is wonderful Divine Mrs M. Good on you for kicking cancer’s butt and living a good life.

I love good food and wine too and when I am down I imagine myself in the south of France tucking into a cheese platter alongside some good wine under the grape vines. This is what makes me truly happy!

Next year I plan to be kinder to myself in terms in taking in too much. Your post has once again reminded me we have to put ourselves first and not feel guilty about it.

• Vslush
    Vslush Member Posts: 117
    edited October 2018
    Options

Wish we had a "like" button for your post, Divine Mrs M! Everyone should live by your wisdom ☺️

• divinemrsm
    edited October 2018
    Options

Thanks, Lantana and Vslush, for your kind words.

I’m a huge skeptic, always questioning everything. I agree with the other skeptic posts here commenting on the Chris Beat Cancer book. But I’m getting the book from the library and will read it. It does impress me that he’s been 15 years cancer free, from what I can tell, after a stage 3c colon cancer diagnosis. Colon cancer is a bitch. To be that far along and pull out of it for that many years is an accomplishment, whether he did it with or without conventional treatment. And I’m surprised by my open mindedness, because I really do have a tendency to write something like this off.

I definitely am against any belief that we caused our own cancer. And I don’t think people should forego conventional treatment just because Chris beat it without drugs, ect. But I imagine especially those with colon cancer may find inspiration in his story. So I want to read up on what he has to say and any insights he offers. I’ll report back!

• edwards750
    edited October 2018
    Options

Just wondering how is this is an unsafe forum? None of the posts I've read have attacked anyone's decision unless skepticism is an attack. I'm not hyper sensitive about people criticizing the conventional route which is what I took.To each her own. Your body, your life.

Diane

• Mudpie
    Mudpie Member Posts: 1
    edited October 2018
    Options

Do you remember the special Vitamin C he talked about with one of the Dr's?

It had a special makeup and I forgot the name.

• sandcastle
    sandcastle Member Posts: 289
    edited October 2018
    Options

Under: Alternative Forum It says A Safe Judgement Free Place.....Liz

• divinemrsm
    edited October 2018
    Options

There are always going to be question marks about what works to heal bc as well as what causes bc. Many of us know of women who lived clean, healthy, active lifestyles and still were diagnosed with breast cancer,

The other side of that coin are the women who seem to defy odds by doing what would appear to be the wrong things and yet remain cancer free, never getting that dreaded diagnosis. My sister-in-law will be 66 in January. She has smoked like a chimney her whole adult life, yet has never had breast cancer or any other similar type of health issues. Yet I quit smoking over 30 years ago and was dx with mbc in my early 50s.

Another woman I know in her mid 50s—beautiful but obese. Drinks a lot. Has huge amounts of family and work related stress. Never had children. Each of these factors on their own are can allegedly increase the risk of bc. Yet she does not have it.

We all have personal examples of women like this.

• edwards750
    edited October 2018
    Options

I know women like that too who have defied the odds and have dodged BC. My oncologist told me they don’t know why some women draw the unlucky card.

In my case and my sister’s we can most likely point to our mother having BC. However, my oncologist also said 70% of BC cases are not genetically driven so we were part of the 30% who did. My sister has ILC and her’s came back year before last to her MX scar. At least it’s localized but still frightening of course. I’m 7 years out last August. I had IDC.

Regardless it is what it is. It just doesn’t seem fair but we all know life isn’t fair sometimes.

Diane

• ksusan
    ksusan Member Posts: 461
    edited October 2018
    Options

If we're using a standard of "it can recur, so you don't know until you're dead whether it was 'cured,'" then we need to apply the same standard and say, "some people did 'all the wrong things and didn't get it'... yet."

• snooky1954
    snooky1954 Member Posts: 850
    edited October 2018
    Options

Redgirl…….You are a women after my own heart. Bless you.  (Not that I don't love the rest of you) I didn't realize, until someone pointed it out that I was in the alternative forum.  Ladies, please, read everything, then use your own judgment.  Alternative, is not just all about food, there's so much more.  IMHO, breast cancer is a disease of civilization.  Plastics have flooded our bodies with zenoestrogen (sp?) feeding cancer growth, EMF's, (I now unplug all kitchen appliances when not in use) , GMO's (eat organic) red meat, most meats in the USA are unhealthy because of big-ag.  The way our food is farmed.  Canned food is dangerous.  Fluoride (yes we were lied to) and chlorine in our water. Our air quality. There's so much to learn.  Flying puts radiation in our bodies.  The numerous tests that drs. use flood our bodies with radiation.  A tumor (IMHO) is our body's way of protecting us. The body has  encapsulated the cells that will not self-destruct.  Biopsy's are dangerous because they seed cancer.  Our body's are sick so they became cancerous. Cancer is not the sickness, it's a systom.   Without finding the original cause of why we got cancer in the first place, it will always return..

Geesh, tired of typing.    Will post later and tell you my story. And no, I have not cured my own cancer  YET.  However, during the last 17 mos.  I have cured my anxiety, depression (was on meds for 40yrs) high blood pressure, my thyroid is working well again, and my bones are getting stronger. And, I am happier now than I have ever been in my life.

For me though, the biggest factor still has to be my walk with Christ. He leads, I follow.  SUe

• melissadallas
    melissadallas Member Posts: 929
    edited October 2018
    Options

Breast cancer is not a disease of civilization (from the American Cancer Society):

Oldest descriptions of cancer

Human beings and other animals have had cancer throughout recorded history. So it's no surprise that from the dawn of history people have written about cancer. Some of the earliest evidence of cancer is found among fossilized bone tumors, human mummies in ancient Egypt, and ancient manuscripts. Growths suggestive of the bone cancer called osteosarcomahave been seen in mummies. Bony skull destruction as seen in cancer of the head and neck has been found, too.

Our oldest description of cancer (although the word cancer was not used) was discovered in Egypt and dates back to about 3000 BC. It's called the Edwin Smith Papyrus and is a copy of part of an ancient Egyptian textbook on trauma surgery. It describes 8 cases of tumors or ulcers of the breast that were removed by cauterization with a tool called the fire drill. The writing says about the disease, "There is no treatment."

• snooky1954
    snooky1954 Member Posts: 850
    edited October 2018
    Options

Yes, of course there were a few cases of cancer in all ages. Although, I consider that the Egyptians had a high level of civilization, I had thought my meaning was clear. Cancer is the 2nd cause of death  behind heart disease and right ahead of physicans/hospitals.   I doubt that was the case in Egypt.  

• divinemrsm
    edited October 2018
    Options
    Here’s how I look at the saying, ‘some people did all the wrong things and didn’t get it....yet’:
    my SIL with a horrible smoking habit has lived almost 15 years longer without bc than I have; 15 years of a much more carefree life of which the carefree part was cut short for me. Similar with the other woman I mentioned who will soon be 60. We know clean living women in their 20s, 30s and 40s dealing with bc/mbc. By the time you are getting to age 65 and beyond, you will most likely be dealing with some health issues. I can look at others who lived up to their sixties and seventies who did wrong things and haven’t had repercussions.