Fill Out Your Profile to share more about you. Learn more...

MBC and Your Job -- whats your story?

Options
13»

Comments

• newday123
    newday123 Member Posts: 35
    edited July 2021
    Options

HI Sadiesservant, thanks for sharing. I did not know this journey isn't a straight line and didn't know you could go into remission! That is wonderful, I'm so happy for you. Yes, I hear you, it would be great to get a bit of "retirement" years but its hard to make these decisions.

Everyone,
    Is your work place more recently requiring everyone go back to the office. If you're on chemo continuously, has your employer allow you to work from home? Or did you have to leave your job and find another one? Or, because of little choice, you had to go into the work place with your mask and hope you don't get Covid?

I'm trying to figure out what I should do. I've assumed that being on chemo continuously will increase my chance of getting very sick if I got covid even though I've had 2 doses of vaccines. It's important that I don't get an infection.
    Any thoughts on this would be much appreciated.

• aprilgirl1
    aprilgirl1 Member Posts: 757
    edited July 2021
    Options

Sadiesservant - I am in the same quandary. I sell real estate and work a lot. Real Estate agents are self employed so I do not have any corporate long term disability or HR policies to assist me (my husband's employer carriers our medical benefits, thankfully!). I am fortunate 19 months with my stage IV dx that I have responded well to Ibrance/fulvestrant and feel good. However, like Sadie wrote, I would like a couple years of retirement while I feel ok (vs waiting until I have progression and don't feel great). I need to have a meeting with our financial planner to see "when" I can retire or at least slow down. I work with a real estate partner so would need to either split that up or we would both have to agree to take on less clients (less money). It is complicated!

NewDay123 - I do work with people and have a private office in an office but have felt safe from Covid - initially in 2020 we closed the office and all worked from home - however, to list homes and tour clients, we do have to meet with people (much more limited meetings, no open houses etc.). I am not on chemo but Ibrance does impact my white blood counts at times. I have been careful and am relieved that I have not been sick and have not contracted Covid (have also had the vaccine). I don't want any illness to interfere with my cancer meds, for sure. Talk to your oncologist and see what they recommend based on the chemo that you are on. I think most employers would want to be flexible if possible and allow you to work from home.