Come join others currently navigating treatment in our weekly Zoom Meetup! Register here: Tuesdays, 1pm ET.
Fill Out Your Profile to share more about you. Learn more...

Radiation December 2018

Options

Comments

• hdmom
    hdmom Member Posts: 8
    Options

imageI am 43, pre-menopausal so the plan has been Tamoxifen. I’ve been through the wringer with antidepressants over the last 24 years and there have been a few that worked for a short while. Cymbalta has been the only one that has helped my fibromyalgia as well as kept the suicidality at bay, though that hasn’t been the case for the last few months, even before the BC diagnosis. I was on Effexor for a few years and it worked well, until it didn’t, and coming off that is a long and slow process. Celexa worked briefly but wasn’t very effective. Just got a response from my MO that I would need to switch to Effexor or Celexa. 🤦🏻♀️

I guess I will start looking into alternatives to Tamoxifen so I can prepare for an appointment with him. I’m quite overweight and chronically “malnourished” (I can explain if you’re interested), so that usually factors into any medical decisions that get made. Just feels like yet again there is not an easy way to deal with my needs..

• hdmom
    hdmom Member Posts: 8
    Options

Yay the pic went through! That is my furball Oliver. He was a rescue several years ago

• Highlyblessed
    Highlyblessed Member Posts: 7
    Options

Hi guys its me again quick question has anyone had radiation done to the lymph nodes in your chest ( mammory lymph nodes) ?

• nomaddd
    nomaddd Member Posts: 37
    Options

Hi Hdmom,

I am also 43 and have been on zoloft for the last 20 years for OCD. My MO will most likely put me on Lupron + AI vs Tamox when my rads finish, not only because of zoloft but also the fact that the combination seems to work better than tamox (and I might have some blood clot issues). Especially if you've had suicidal thoughts, and cymbalta worked well for you, you might ask to be put on Lupron (for ovarian function suppression) and an arometese inhibitor. Of course these come with their own side effects but this is the reality we live in now

• dani444
    dani444 Member Posts: 215
    Options

Highlyblessed- I am getting rads to my intramammary nodes. Also I am joining Wised in flipping off your doctor. I am sorry you are stuck with her, she sounds like a total jerk. I hope the meds calm your nerves.

hdmom- glad you were able to get the picture to post, Oliver is so fluffy!!

Spoonie- The itching was a little less today! I am trying to take it easy at work, but I have guilt when I feel I am not pulling my weight. My coworkers are very supportive so that helps. I am just plain wore out some nights. I really just want my energy back. LOL. So, holy crap on that broken rib. That is crazy, that is a painful healing process that does speak to how much pain you deal with daily. I must say you are a badass. oh, and the spritzing.... maybe that is what lessened the itching, I spritzed three times, as directed :)

• pebblesv
    pebblesv Member Posts: 486
    Options

Highlyblessed - yes for me the radiation also targeted my lymph nodes. If you have specific questions let me know and I can try and answer! What I can say is that because lymph nodes were targeted too, the radiation area went further up towards my neck than I was aware so I didn't lotion there as well as I did everywhere else and that's where I got a couple radiation burns as a result. So definitely make sure the lotioning covers breast to clavicle to the back as well just cuz the rays shoot through.

Also I don't want to scare you with the term radiation burns, they look and feel like scratches (honestly I thought it might have appeared b/c Domino likes to sit on my shoulder and I thought she accidentally scratched me) and are healed already now, one week after the last session. Also I had no other major side effects. My skin never burned, only tanned, and despite a very full schedule of 30 zaps I didn't really get fatigued. But that was prob because I was allowed to bring Domino with me too!

How I LOVE all the fur baby photos and that our paw family pics kicked off a trend! Waving a paw hello to Oliver and Ms Ari and Ms Gypsy and Martin and more!

Hdmom and Nomadd - I'm also 43 so hello to our DX at 43 club. I'll be on tamoxifen as I don't take anything else right now. It sounds like there are other options for you and good to know regardless as our pre-menopausal options seem pretty limited. No onc has brought it up but I've also read about Raloxifene for pre-menopausal women?

Dani - yesterday it felt great to get back to work and today that all deflated with a regular and hard work day lol. I also worked late. I think you and I need to remind ourselves to take it easy when we can as we are still fighting a very big thing!

Spoonie - I’m so glad you insisted on the bone scan, to think your MO almost didn’t do it! Just goes to show that you are trusting your instincts and have been right again and again on your own body and needs and reactions. So sorry about the fractured rib on top of everything else. At least you know now. Is there a next step from here?

Your fur babies are adorable BTW. Such cute fluffs! Ms Gypsy and Domino are kind of coordinated in their markings lol!

Wised - I second you on the everyone should have an emotional support animal!

Ghostie13 - yes 5 is a herd and yes please post pics! We call our “paw family” our “pack”.

Cherryi3 - the radiation therapists told me the boosts are gentler than the main rads so I think if you’ve been fine up until now, you will continue to be fine. It’s weird with a machine arm that’s so much closer to your breast but also a lot faster. I was pretty fine before the final boosts and stayed fine.

Lplibrarygirl - I think this is a good time to pull the cancer card with your husband and get a dog. 🐶 Or surprise him with a puppy for Christmas that is really for you lol! He won’t be able to resist the in person cuteness.

Purplecat - I’m cracking up at your aside in parenthesis! Also after stopping to ponder, FYI my nipple is also not the same as before, I’m hoping it gets to normal at some point. And I’m glad you like the pup photos! More below!

Salamandra - so impressed that you ride your bike everyday! My radiologist did not want me to take tamoxifen at the same time as radiation even though the onc said it was OK, weird how our docs have different recos for us! Could you stop tamoxifen while you complete radiation and see if the heartburn stops? That way you could isolate it. I feel like I had a lot more asthma during rads even though my radiologist kept assuring me it couldn’t be. Granted I’m near where all the CA fires were so could have been air quality too.

Egregious - are you done today? Is there a congrats in store?

WorryThePooh, Tigerlily, and others still in the midst of rads - wishing you all as smooth a ride as possible Lotion and hydrate and stay upbeat! Almost there!

Today’s paw update - little smiley Domino looked not so pleased with my going back to work after accompanying me everywhere during rads. Just look at that face! I think dogs “know” - this is in the morning while I’m getting ready for work:

Compared to this bundle of joy when I come home after work!

• Highlyblessed
    Highlyblessed Member Posts: 7
    Options

Thank you PEBBLES V for the reassurance I was just wondering because when the biopsied my underarm lymph nodes in surgery they said everything was clear on that note but I would need radiation on my chest wall only because the 3cm tumor was laying on a chest muscle. But yesterday at radiation I noticed they were remarking my chest area higher than they did at simulation so I asked why and the tech said oh we just want to throw the book at this thing. I was just as confused as ever. But anyway another day another session hope all you ladies have a wonderful day hope GODS GRACE AND MERCY prevail on all of you love you guys you make me feel like im not alone anymore

• purplecat
    purplecat Member Posts: 226
    Options

Love back to you, Highlyblessed! I agree: it helps a lot to be able to check in with women going through the same thing. We're here for you!

DOMINO!!! <3

• egregious
    egregious Member Posts: 145
    Options

One more to go. Tomorrow is the day.

Gentle hugs and extra good things for all here.

• dani444
    Options

Highlyblessed- I think I was sleep posting as I had just gotten off work :) So my response wasn't actually thorough. I am getting rads to my chest wall, axillary, sub clavicular, and intramammary nodes. I was also told to lotion up as far back as I can reach, that it will definitely reach my back. They did IMRT planning which minimizes the dosing to surrounding tissues. My RO told me the reasoning for him targeting the intramammary nodes was we have no way of knowing if the part of my breast that had the tumor drained to those nodes as well. He told me that is possible. Sounds like they are covering all the bases with you!

Pebbles- Did you feel extra tired after that longer work day? I know I do need to give myself a break. You are right, we just had major surgery, healed , then onto rads. I suppose I should not expect to feel 100% yet. I just worry about letting down my coworkers, especially during a rough shift. And my pup seems to know when I am going to work too! He pouts around when he sees me putting on my scrubs. But he gets a break because my dad lets him out when I work, and I am sure gives into his demands for treats!!

Spoonie- I am wondering if you had any feeling of tightness during your rads? You got red fast! I laughed at the boob lasagna comment.

Ghostie- Are you done today? or do you have one more? I hope your fatigue lifts quickly.

egregious- So glad , one more!!!!!!!! Do any of you have a bell or did you ring the bell at the end? They have one hanging outside the treatment room at my center.

I hope everyone is having a good day!

• Tigerlily318
    Tigerlily318 Member Posts: 115
    Options

Salamandra, the study I was referring to is the TAILORx study from June:

https://www.cancer.gov/news-events/press-releases/...

Spoonie, I can't imagine that you've been walking around with a broken rib. You must be one tough chick! (and I mean that in the best possible way!)

• ghostie13
    ghostie13 Member Posts: 39
    Options

I'm done!! Yay!!! Tired as hell after the drive but so glad this step is over. Now to decide about the AI's....

• egregious
    Options

Ghostie, YOU DID IT!!!! Hooray!!!!!!!!!!image

• salamandra
    salamandra Member Posts: 736
    Options

Whoo, yay Ghostie!

Taking a page from Domino's book, here is what Kali thinks about the idea of leaving a nice cozy warm bed on a cold day to go all the way across town to get invisible rays pointed at you:

For some reason she looks pretty serious in most pictures, even though she is not a very serious cat.

This afternoon I felt like my irradiated breast was in the tropics while the other one was on a ski slope. I put one of their gel patches on, and it helps a bit.

I think I have five more days of regular radiation, and then I start the boosts. And I'm excited to meet a fellow BCO sister after treatment tomorrow!

• Spoonie77
    Spoonie77 Member Posts: 532
    Options

How is everyone doing today? Anyone finish up this afternoon? Who finishes this week?

CONGRATS GHOSTIE!!!!! Whooooohoooo so happy for you! Bet you are excited to not have to in tomorrow! :) (and by the way, yes 5 cats = a herd! So made me laugh!)

Good luck tomorrow on your last treatment Egregious! You're almost there! :)

Sorry if I'm missing a post or three, trying to sneak in here and type fast (thanks to a job long ago I type about 100 words/min!) Been a crazy day and am exhausted.

Dani - Glad I could pass along a laugh. :) Here's where the "boob lasagna" comes from. I was able to check that off of my Bucket List, cuz we all know, it's high up there on everyones! <rolls eyes> https://community.breastcancer.org/forum/70/topics... (Oct 22 post) And yeah, I had tightness starting from the first week, despite having seen Cancer Rehab PRIOR to starting and them giving me stretches and such to do prior and during RADs. I can't imagine how bad things would have been if I hadn't have had that already going. Glad your itching has subsided a bit, or at least down to a low roar, as my dad would say.

Just an FYI to everyone - met with my PT again today. She said now that I'm at the 6-8 week mark out from RADs, this is when "most" people start to begin feeling a tightening of their pecs and affected muscle groups. I'm just a zebra so I started on the trail early. LOL. But she did point out that even if a person had little to NO SE's during their RADs that they still could have tightness and cording show up out of nowhere. Soooo moral of the story is, if around that time, you start feeling tightening/cording contact your RO asap so you can get to PT, if you're not already in PT to begin with. If anyone is interested, let me know, and I will repost stretches that PT gave me that helped.

Oh, and if ya'll can skip out on the RADs Fibrosis you'll thank me! It SUCKS! When I was at PT today, she said "hey, the "spaghetti" noodle have really done a great job of reducing your breast lymphedema, so now we can really start working on your adhesions, cording, and RADs fibrosis.". (by the way what is with all of my things referencing pasta????!! ) Word to the wise.....IT FREAKIN HURTS to work on that stuff. OMG. I was sore before from the minimal work we were able to do prior to this visit, but YIKES, it brought some tears to my eyes today. But no pain, no gain, unfortunately when it comes to fibrosis.

CherryI3 - Ari is a Maine Coon. Close to a Ragdoll. :) She's super smart and because having been disable for a few years I've had time on my hands, I used clicker-training on her. Same you'd use on a dog. She (my cat, people, my cat!!!) can now give me high-fives, gives kisses, sits up and begs, and in general sits and comes when called. People are amazed and call me the "cat whisperer". She's my baby and I spoil her wayyyyy too much.

HDMom - Oliver looks so precious! Big smile.

Pebbles - Thanks for being my cheering section! Regarding next step. I'm being referred to Rheum to figure out why I have fractured rib in the first place. They think it may be related to the rest of my chronic health issues & bone density. Also, I see Neurology in 3 weeks to figure out what is causing some of my neuropathy that isn't neuropathy, at least according to my latest EMG. Le Sigh. So many doctors..... Have you heard back from yours about your liver testing? Fingers crossed that you have. If not, perhaps he is doing research and it may be a good sign?

Wised - Nope, no parties unfortunately, just a random fractured rib from who knows what. If I'm gonna party, I'll be sure to send out invites to everyone, no worries! In regards to your question about an AI or an alternative to Tamoxifen for me from my MO. The only thing she said would be appropriate for me, given my age and being pre-meno, if didn't choose Tamox, was to medically suppress and/or remove them via surgery. Maybe she mentioned an AI at some point but I honestly can't remember. My naturopath and Infectious Disease docs do not want me to do either of those things given my labs and bacterial load (Lyme, Babesia, Erlichiosis, and EBV). Maybe a few months down the road that may change. IDK. I'm in the process of seeking out a second opinion MO since I'm not too keen on the way she handled things when I saw her last. Was quite upsetting. Will see what the new MO has to say and go from there.

Hugs and healing and waves to all!

• dani444
    Options

Ghoastie- SOOOO EXCITED FOR YOU!!! You rocked it!!!!!!

Spoonie- so the reason I asked about the tightness was because I feel a tightness in my chest muscle, and right at the front of my armpit (not a good description I know) so maybe I should email my PT. I Mentioned it to one of the techs but she said it was too early for the rads to be causing it. I guess I don’t know if it’s normal or a problem.

• Spoonie77
    Options

Dani - IMO, nothing is TOO soon for SEs. Everyone is different and some don't have any, some have tons. Some start on Day One, some start only after RADs is finished. Never know. So, I'd err on the side of caution. Better to be proactive than reactive, especially when it comes to pain. Where I felt it tremendously was right in the front of my L armpit. Basically where the muscle from my pec runs along the front side of my armpit and also along the muscle from the outside /rib area of pec up thru the center of my armpit. I would definitely call your PT and let them know and go from there. Good luck!

• purplecat
    Options

Yay Ghostie!!! You did it!!!!!

• ghostie13
    Options

thanks everyone! 😀

Tomorrow I will try to get individual pics of the herd....don't feel like moving right now and I don't have anywhere to go tomorrow!!

I can't believe how excited I am to just stay home....

• pebblesv
    pebblesv Member Posts: 486
    Options

OMG Kali! That is quite the look. Domino agrees. @Salamandra LOVE that photo.

HighlyBlessed - glad it was helpful! What they said/did with you sounds very similar to my case. When I had the radiation 'scratches' the doc and nurses said, "Oh that's from the radiation." and I asked how can that be, and they said that they decided to get some of the periphery nodes just to "get it all" and yes, throw the book at everything. I was thinking, "Thanks, could have told me earlier so I could have lotioned that spot too..." - at least you know during, so lotion away!

Dani - yes and no! For better or worse, when I was working from home during radiation, I actually worked longer nights because the work is right there in front of you and with a 2.5 to 3 hour chunk out of my day to drive to/from radiation treatment and get treated, plus many Hallmark movie channel and Gilmore Girls distractions LOL, I didn't get a lot done during the day and ended up making up for it at night. So actually, now that I'm back in the office, I'm ironically a bit more balanced. I leave my work at work when I leave the office, and I'm back to a 20 minute instead of a 1 hour commute. That said, I fell asleep last night in front of the TV with my husband and I definitely feel like I could use several full nights sleeps to 'catch up'.

Spoonie - What a mystery! Hope you start to get some answers, of course I think you will discover those answers yourself LOL. And this is interesting... I have NOT heard back from my MO yet. :-O Hmmmm.... BUT I met with my Primary Care Provider this morning and she actually really supports an integrated approach and is all about nutrition and exercise, and SHE ordered the liver enzyme panel and other things that can be measured with a simple blood test for me. And we came up with a plan to monitor all the other things together while I take tamoxifen! So I think there's a lot in us being our own advocates and finding the support where we can on the plan and path we choose. I'm glad I did not rely SOLELY on my MO, and have this PCP meeting set up.

Purplecat - Domino sends many many paw kisses back. Oh wait, she is still licking. Hang on... OK I distracted her with food!

Huge congrats to ghostie for being DONE and early congrats to egregious as well!! Domino says HURRAH and Tucker says time to relax!

• Raysal
    Raysal Member Posts: 8
    Options

First rads session done! 19 to go..

My RO told me its now 20 and not 25 as she initially mentioned.. 15 of regular rads and 5 boosts.

Since yesterdays simulation my armpits been feeling weird and getting a tingling feeling. Hope im not startign SE early.

Heres to wishing everybody a smooth sailing and recovery!

• DeeDeeT
    DeeDeeT Member Posts: 17
    Options

Hi ladies! I'm starting today. Finally. I had my simulation last week and my markings are about to wash off, so it's a good thing!

I just really want to thank you all for sharing your stories here, because it has helped me so much to know what to expect and to look for, etc. . . . I know I would not feel as ready if it wasn't for these boards.

My RO have me the option of just waiting until after the holidays, but I just wanted to put this behind me as soon as I could. So, here I go!

• egregious
    Options

DeeDeeT, hope things go well for you in your first session. First is by far the longest as they do a lot of repeat measuring and checking and marking. Pretty soon they will be short sessions and you'll be on your way. Bring cream with you to your treatments and put on right afterwards.

Raysal, way to go on having your first one behind you! How did it go? That's mighty sweet that they shortened the number from 25 to 20. Tingling might be from holding your arms over your head for that long first session. It's good to do chest and shoulder stretching exercises to keep things loose.

Thanks all for your good wishes. My VERY LAST RAD will be in 6 hours. I am so ready. Sillyoldrabbit, sending good thoughts for you as we both cross the finish line today.

• DeeBB
    DeeBB Member Posts: 71
    Options

CONGRATS to everyone that is done with radiation or close to it!! Just thought I would drop by, today was number 14 of 20, getting closer, 2 more regular and the last 4 will be boost. I think my poor boob is very angry at me, it is now extremely red and tender not unbearable but it does wake me up once in awhile at night. Think tonight I will take Ibuprofen or something before going to bed. Instead of wearing a bra I've just been wearing undershirts, tank top or a thin very soft tshirt, that seems to help some. I'm pretty small up top and right now I'm thankful for that. Work probably wouldn't appreciate that I'm not wearing a bra but honestly you can't tell.

Dani: I also have a tightness and sensitivity, like in my pec muscle and in front of my armpit.

DeeDee, hope things go well for you and I don't blame you for just wanting to get it over with.

Hope everyone enjoys their holiday and best of luck to everyone!!! One day at a time

• purplecat
    Options

Hope it went well, DeeDeeT!

DeeBB and Dani, I have some tightness in those same spots, just like I did after the SNB surgery. I was afraid that would never go away, and then it did, and now it's baaaaack. Hoping it will clear up again once this radiation is done.

Raysel, how wonderful to have fewer treatments than expected! That's a whole week you don't have to do!

How many of us are doing breath holds? I'm starting a new thread about breath-holding. Thought sharing our experiences might be helpful for new members and others who feel apprehensive about it. Here it is:

https://community.breastcancer.org/forum/70/topics...

• Spoonie77
    Options

PurpleCat -- I'll stop on over to your breath hold thread. That's what I went through in RADs. Glad to help if I can. :)

Egregious -- Hope today went amazing! Time to celebrate in your honor....<holding a beer, shhhhh>.....cheers and congrats!!!

• purplecat
    Options

Happy dances for egregious and sillyoldrabbit!

• egregious
    Options

I AM FINISHED

• wised
    wised Member Posts: 184
    Options

Yay to everyone finishing rads!

• ghostie13
    Options

Conrats egregious!!! Doesn't it feel good to be finished??!