Come join others currently navigating treatment in our weekly Zoom Meetup! Register here: Tuesdays, 1pm ET.
Fill Out Your Profile to share more about you. Learn more...

Chemo starting December 2018

Options

Comments

• countca04
    countca04 Member Posts: 33
    Options

I started Chemo Dec 17 and now have had 3 rounds. I have found that two days after the worse side effects, nausea, constipation and just feeling like staying in bed. I try to do stretching each morning, at least 10 minutes to get me up and moving. I do things and stop and rest....thats the key not to push yourself. Prunes, laxatives help for the constipation.

Did not feel any bone pain from the Neulasta. No sores in my mouth, but brush my teeth often like 5 times a day.

For some reason, a piece of multigrain bread and tuna I can stomach well. Haven't had any urges for my usual coffee drinking so stick to teas with some honey for taste.

It's been okay and its always those few days after that are the worse.

I'm new on this site and wish all of us the best as we all try to get through this process.

AC T Chemo ends May 1 2019.....looking forward to it.....

• Flower216
    Flower216 Member Posts: 87
    Options

Castigame….thank you for your encouraging words. It was good timing for me!!! I had round three last week, and the bone pain from the nuelasta  was overwhelming for a few days. Yesterday, I told my hubby that I think I am going to opt out for the fourth and final treatment.....and instead of fighting me, he said "fine but you need to call your doctor yourself". Well, I was able to get out of bed today, and am still slightly achy, but yes...I will go through with #4.

countca..glad you had a pretty uneventful week.

Angie...you look great....BUT isn't your head cold??? I am in frigid new jersey and not only is my head cold (even in the house), my neck is cold too! How do bald men do it???? 

Got a question..the other day the nurse said that I must wear slippers around the house, not just socks. I didn't question it at the time, but am now wondering...why? Any ideas???

I do hope when we finish our treatments we will try to keep this board going....I love the bond we have!!!

• AngieInAmsterdam
    AngieInAmsterdam Member Posts: 120
    Options

Welcome countca04. It’s no fun to go through this process, but glad that you’ve found our group. It’s great to have the support here. Definitely keeps me going, knowing that I’m not alone on this difficult journey.

Flower, true, I did find it kinda cold now and then. But when I would wear a beanie, I found it a bit too warm. Could be due to cold capping. Had it the previous 2 rounds, 4.5 hrs at 26 degrees F/ -3C. Guess I was used to the cold sensation. Though not doing cold capping any further. I’ve lost too much hair to care. Glad to hear you’re going to hang in there and stay tough for round 4! I know it’s not easy. I feel it too. But I know this too shall pass and think of why we do this for the long term.

Hope everyone is having a week with mild SE.

xx

• mcbaker
    mcbaker Member Posts: 1,803
    Options

I just borrowed a friend's shaver, and got rid of the rest of the fuzz and stray stuff. It is a relief. Ordered a set of patterns for headcoverings, and watched you-tube for several hours. I am NOT going to pay twenty dollars each to cover my head. I have a wig ordered, but need to call them back and find out what is going on with it.

Went to the audiologist and got new tubing. I complained about problems understanding with my hearing aids covered with headwraps, so she tweaked a few frequencies in the speech range. I'm getting better clarity. If she had turned up the entire profile, I would have had more problems with feedback. My HA's are getting too wimpy for my loss. My onco said that Taxol is rarely associated with hearing loss, and the audi said that the one which really causes problems is Carboplatin (?SP--definitely not in my treatment plan). We decided to go for a full audiogram when this is hopefully all over with-- there might be enough further loss to qualify me for new HA's with bluetooth capability!!

I may need to take a chemo vacation-- this neuropathy has me frustrated. I did do a lot better with my walking-stick, and moved them to just inside the door, instead of behind it. Put my name on them in case chem brain intrudes. But my bloodwork this morning looked reasonably good to my uneducated eye

• BeckyJL
    BeckyJL Member Posts: 81
    Options

Welcome Count, sounds like you're about where I am too. My food of choice these days is instant low sugar (brown) oatmeal with a spoonful of peanut butter in it. Weird, I know. I can almost taste the peanut butter and it actually tastes, mostly, like peanut butter. It's warm, easy texture and filling. Perfect food for the week after a treatment for me.

Angie, I have the hat on/hat off bit too. Head gets cold, head gets hot.

Yesterday was a bit rough. Got up, walked the dog 2 miles - I've skipped the last few days because of bitter cold. Cold wasn't bad, but I got fatigued very, very quickly. Went to work, taught- that was fine, but it exhausted me. Then the bone aches increased. My teeth hurt. I still don't understand how my teeth can ache. So I came home and napped, which I never do, I'm a horrible napper. Stomach's a little off too. This was day 4 after the Friday chemo. Seems for me, that's the magic day of yuck. Monday wasn't great, but Tuesday was worse.

Good news, still wasn't as bad as that first round where I forgot to take the Claritin right away and had horrific bone pain and massive headaches. But this fatigue, whew. Just going up and down my stairs at home makes my legs feel jello like today too.

More good news - we got so much ice, my college cancelled all morning classes so I don't have to go in and teach today!! WHhooohooo, it's an all day pj/sweats day for me!

I've done 3/4 of my treatments now. I'm planning a trip to Ft. Lauderdale 3 weeks after the last one to see my son before I start radiation. The idea of sitting on a beach in the sun is helping me get through this, I hope you all have some happy, warm, comfortable thought to hold onto today too. Stay strong, stay positive, and if you can't do those, then just hang in there.

• kber
    kber Member Posts: 243
    Options

Becky - I get the motivation of sitting on a beach or just having something to look forward to! I finished my last AC and am starting Taxol in a week and a half. I hear the cumulative effects of Taxol can be tiring, but I'm hoping the nausea is less!

Anyway, 4 weeks after I am due to finish Taxol, I am planning on flying cross country to watch my son graduate from college - it's keeping me focused on Life After Chemo!

• lilliangish
    lilliangish Member Posts: 54
    Options

Flower, regarding your question about why they are telling you to wear slippers instead of socks. My two guesses are - slippers are better protection against neuropathy and accidental cuts to your feet which could cause infection. I read somewhere to always wear my slippers while on chemo, especially if you have hardwood floors. Hard floors can be hard on feet, and lead to neuropathy. And when I was reading about avoiding infections, the American Cancer Society said to take good care of your feet because cuts and germs can lead to infections. Just guesses on my part. And I realize not all slippers equal - my daughter gave me some from Old Navy that are cute, but have like 0 foot support and 0 tread on the bottom. My Ugg slippers though....heaven!

Day 10 of third round and I'm finally feeling fairly normal again. Spoke at length to NP about what happened on day 2 and that we need to do something different because I was really really sick with infection or whatever. She was starting to think it was an allergic reaction, but was going to consult with the team and they'd be ready for my final round on Feb 4th. Maybe add Benadryl and/or additional steroids.

I did learn that unlike the rule where you must start chemo by a certain date after surgery, there is no exact date to start radiation. So, after my last round and I'm feeling better, I'm going to take a break and plan something fun too.

• AngieInAmsterdam
    Options

Good morning everyone,

I’m not sure if my body is learning how to handle these toxins, but I’m feeling quite normal after round 3. The 1st round really hit me hard! But it feels as though my body has adjusted to each treatment cycle. I’m almost daring to go to the gym, but won’t press my luck.

Becky, I agree with taking Claritin for bone pain. I had not done so for round 2, and was paralyzed from head to chest. Was ready for it this time after Neulasta shot yesterday and am feeling fine today.

I’m in total agreement with you, kber, and Lillian about taking a vacay after chemotherapy! We definitely deserve a getaway after all of this! I missed out of going to Tunisia last week with my teammates. My MO was adamant about me not going in case of emergency. Which I completely understand. Health comes first.

Hope everyone is doing well this week!

xx

• mcbaker
    Options

I think they are thinking of putting me on steroids for the whole week. This manic-depression has got to stop.

• BeckyJL
    Options

Angie, glad you had a good round three. Mine went south yesterday, bone pain, extreme fatigue. Not quite as achy this morning so going to go to work and teach my one class then home to crash I expect.

But I have to ask, teammates? What kind of team are you on? Sports? Work? Terribly curious.

• AngieInAmsterdam
    Options

Becky,

I’m sorry to hear you’re experiencing bone pain and extreme fatigue. I admire your strength! You’re at work and teaching class! That must add to some fatigue giving so much of yourself to your students.

Allowing ourselves time to heal and recover from chemo treatment is necessary. Hope you’re able to rest and relax a bit after teaching class.

I play golf at a high national level in the Netherlands. Our team usually travel to a warmer country to train preseason. Usually we go somewhere in Europe. But this year the technical commission decided on a more exotic location. They practiced and trained hard, but also got to go sight seeing on camelback riding along the beach. I would have really loved that right about now! But first, let’s get back to good health!

Hang in there these next couple of days! We can endure this!

xx

• BeckyJL
    Options

Here's one to make you go "Really?!" Just got back from my weekly blood draw - WBC at 1, neutrophils extremely low as well, anemic - all pretty standard. So I'm basically at my most immun suppressed, vulnerable to infection, whatever. Go home, open my email and there's one from my college. Apparently, there's an active case of chicken pox on campus and I may have been exposed. Yeah, that's what I need. Chicken pox or shingles. lol

• nanette7fl
    nanette7fl Member Posts: 412
    Options

OMG Becky!! Really?!?! I hope and pray you WON'T be getting the pox!!

• mcbaker
    Options

Scary-- Can your doctor do anything about that-- isn't there a transfusion of blood components that are supposed to amp up immuno-suppressed people? are you going to have to switch to teaching everything from home?

• BeckyJL
    Options

No, it's all good, probably. The nuelasta will kick in by Sunday and my immune system will be amped up. I don't teach tomorrow so as long as I don't currently have the chicken pox, I should be fine. We think. I hope. I talked to our administration and it doesn't look like the infected person has been in my classroom. Lol, it's, pardon the language, nothing but a FML moment that actually made me laugh. I mean seriously. Chicken pox?!

• mcbaker
    Options

I hear the Neulasta SE's are nasty, but it is a God-send for those who need it. I have a friend whose hubby is an emergency-room doctor, and he brings home all sorts of bugs. I's scared of catching something from her, but I guess I ought to take some chances.

• Flower216
    Options

Hi!

Lillian....yes, love those ugg slippers! I actually treated myself to a new pair (they were on sale for end of season). So comfy!!

Becky....chicken pox-sounds like a cruel joke. At least you are with college students, not the preschoolers I worked with. I LOVED my job but the classroom was like working in a germ infested box.

Anxious...did you decide to do 4 or 6 rounds ?

I was talking to a neighbor today, whose cousin just started treatment. She is having chemo and radiation simultaneously. I never heard of that before. I did try to ask a few questions, but she didn't really know any details.

I wound up with bone pain for five days (three days I stayed in bed-ouch). I called the nurse just to ask how long this could last....and she ended the conversation by saying "if you had it this bad for 3rd treatment -it probably will be more intense for the fourth". Cant wait!! But the nueslasta does its job!!!

A beach sounds great right now!!! 

• kber
    kber Member Posts: 243
    Options

I seem to have dodged a bullet with the nuelesta side effects. Mild achiness in my lower back at the most, but hardly anything to write home about. And my blood counts have been good, so it's working.

I'm done with that now, and looking forward to (if that's the right phrase) taxol starting next week.

• BeckyJL
    Options

Kber, glad you dodged that bone pain bullet! (It really sucks) Good luck with the upcoming treatments, I hope you remain SE free!

Flower, 3 seemed a bit worse, pain wise, than 2 (though again, not as bad as 1 when I forgot to take the Claritin). So I'm apprehensive about 4 also. But I've decided not to worry. Not much I can do to change what will happen, doing all I can so why borrow trouble, right? I've not heard of simultaneous chemo and radiation either. That just sounds like no fun whatsoever.

Angie, so cool you are an elite golfer. I love golf, but I'm a hack, at best. I like to play 9 holes and consider it a nice long walk to lunch, lol. Sorry you had to miss Tunisia, sounds amazing. This whole thing stinks, the cancer, the SEs , and the missing out. I'm hoping it's all just temporary for all of us! Come summer, you'll be back out there swinging the clubs, crushing those drives and chipping it in! (And I'll duff along to luncheon ;-) )

• AngieInAmsterdam
    Options

Kber, great to hear that SE are manageable. Hoping Taxol will be mild on you next week as well.

Flower, wishing you a gentler round 4. We all deserve a milder round at least once!

Lillian, good luck with final round 4! Fingers crossed that there are no allergic reactions.

Becky, no wonder the extreme fatigue! Hopefully Neulasta is kicking in to get your immune system back up! Love the way you golf 😊 some days it really is just a long walk to lunch 😂. But even then, I’m very much looking forward to when I can get back out there and maybe duff a few as well! With a new perspective now, instead of being angry, I’ll definitely laugh it off!

Haven’t heard much from our other fellow December group, hope you’re all well. Check in and let us know how you’re doing.

Here’s to a wonderful and restful weekend.

xx

• anx789
    anx789 Member Posts: 233
    Options

Flower - I’m leaning towards TCx6 because my tumor is grade 3, very aggressive, although my hubby wants me to stop at 4. I still have to discuss with MO the benefits of 6 cycle, the only reason I’m seeing in the internet is that TC x 6 is comparable to AC+T, which is the most strongest chemo for BC.

So far #3 is the easiest when it comes with SE for me but took me a little longer to recover, an extra 3 days to feel 100% normal. #4 will be 2/5/19. I’d like to think it will be the final one but I think I’m to chicken to go against MO recommendations.

Have great weekend fellow warriors!

• Christine1975
    Christine1975 Member Posts: 23
    Options

Good morning, beautiful warriors! How is everyone doing this week? I've loved reading your updates! I had round 3 of T/C yesterday and all went well! Because I'd had an allergic reaction to the Taxotere on Round 2, they loaded me up with extra Benedryl and Steroids this time. It was much better. I discussed my nausea with my MO and told her that Zofran triggered migraines and she put me on Lorazepam for the nausea. I've never had this drug before. Has anyone else? The brand name is Ativan I think. The pharmacist acted kind of weird about it when I picked it up. She called it a "narcotic" and said she'd never heard of using it for chemo-related nausea. I looked it up when I got home and it is NOT a narcotic at all - it's a benzo-something. Anyway, it made me feel kind of weird, like the pharmacist was accusing me of trying to get some controlled substance. Not what i needed after a day spent in the chemo chair. But, oh well. In the big picture, things continue to go well for me. I don't post as often as I would like because I'm still working (I teach and do consulting at a community college) and keeping up with raising 3 boys. I always have the best intentions of posting, but as soon as I start reading and laying on the couch, I crash! I'm sure you can all relate.

I'm sending all of you huge hugs for a restful, relaxing, and minimal SE weekend! This board is amazing and I can't thank you enough for all the support! We've got this, ladies!!!

• mcbaker
    Options

Lorazepam is a benzodiazepine. It can be addictive. It is in the same class as Valium. Don't let the pharm get to you. They are under a lot of justified stress because of the rampant drug problems.

• nanette7fl
    nanette7fl Member Posts: 412
    Options

I was on benzodiazepine for a while (pre bc) for insomnia. But due to interactions with my antidepressant I had to stop. I liked it because I could fall asleep and stay asleep.

Don't let the pharmacist freak you out....some times I think they think they are gods. Mine is great and when I have questions he'll find a min to talk to me. He knows I have a variety of issues physically and never questions my Dr. He has in occasion told me "Nanette please don't take this with med b..." hey at least he's concerned. I had to have him add my chemo meds just so he knows in case there is something prescribed to me that could cause problems

• lilliangish
    Options

I’ve been taking lorazepam at bedtime since September for anxiety. I hardly feel the effects but it definitely helps with anxiety. It is also used by oncologists for chemo nausea so the pharmacist needs more education in this area.

My Mo said he will stop the prescription 30 days after chemo ends as it is addictive. There’s a tapering off process if you’ve been taking it awhile consistently

• Christine1975
    Christine1975 Member Posts: 23
    Options

Thank you gals so much! I feel so much better about the lorazepam now!!! I knew I could count on you awesome ladies!!! Hugs to you all!!!

• anx789
    anx789 Member Posts: 233
    Options

My doctor gave me Ativan and Xanax at the beginning of this journey for anxiety and help me sleep. It is addictive so I only use it when really necessary.

• lilliangish
    Options

Hi there,

My MO said he is going to use Taxol instead of Taxotere for my last round, as they think I had a hypersensitive/allergic reaction to Taxotere. He is also going to use prednisone as the steroid instead of decadron. And then they are going to put Benadryl in the pre-infusion bag and I’ll take it for a few days after infusion. Lots of changes.

I’m a little nervous about the taxol. I know many take it weekly but this would be a three week dose.

Would appreciate any feedback on taxol.

• Flower216
    Options

Lillian...I had to swap out the taxotere for abraxane due to severe allergic reaction.. The only SE from abraxane I had was extreme tiredness...its the neulasta that I find tough. Good luck!!

I have a question....If you are out and run into an old co-worker, or a friend (not a close one) who does not know of your diagnosis, and they approach you to hug and/or kiss you, how do you handle this. I usually tell them what I am going through, even though I really don't want to give that much info. I really am curious on your thoughts!

Have an easy day!!

• BeckyJL
    Options

Flower, I had this exact scenario today. Went to brunch with two friends (snow day!) and ran into another friend of us all, though not that close. She hugged my two friends and then went to hug me and I just put out a hand and said "Sorry, no hugs for me." with a smile. Wished her well and we all separated. She looked a little confused but I think she'll figure it out when she processes the hat and no hair bit. If not, I still don't think it was rude. I'm not one who really likes hugs anyway and no one is entitled to hug me. I'm friendly, I smile, what more do they want? A few people who've wanted to shake hands I just say "Not shaking hands right now, but how about an elbow bump? " They smile and look at me strangely, some bump, some just laugh. But I don't think anyone really cares whether they shake my hand or give me a superficial hug. So, IMO, do what you want. And if you do it with a big smile, people aren't offended. Perhaps confused, but not offended. That's my two cents worth.