Come join others currently navigating treatment in our weekly Zoom Meetup! Register here: Tuesdays, 1pm ET.
Fill Out Your Profile to share more about you. Learn more...

Chemo starting December 2018

Options

Comments

• AngieInAmsterdam
    AngieInAmsterdam Member Posts: 120
    Options

Good evening everyone,

Made it through round 2 of AC today with milder side effects thus far. Had asked the nursing staff to slow the cyclophosphamide drip and it’s made a huge difference. Less dizziness, headaches, and nausea. Although, still expecting side effects to increase perhaps on day 2 or 3.

Taste wise, still enjoy eating most everything. But right now sticking to the fast mimicking diet, so only tomato soup with cheese crackers and some peach yogurt. And lots of water.

Not much else to report. Feels nice to not be so exhausted. Hope you’re all doing well! Continue to stay hydrated! It’s good for our kidneys and bladder!

Lots of hugs

• lilliangish
    lilliangish Member Posts: 54
    Options

Angie in Amsterdam ~ sounds like you are doing well so far. Hope this second round goes well for you. And yay for H2O!

I haven't been able to solve for the headache problem in the first 8 days of the cycle. Regular pain meds don't seem to kill it, but when I sleep, I do feel better.

Saw my radiation oncologist today about the bone scan.......no evidence of metastasis. A clean bone scan!!! Since that crazy nurse tried to convince me on Christmas Eve that my cancer had spread to my back, the last 14 days have been an anxiety-filled nightmare for me. So relieved to hear the news. Now hopefully I can just focus on chemo. 3rd round starts Monday, and since I feel good now, I'm going to try and enjoy the next 5 days!

• AngieInAmsterdam
    Options

Hi LillianG,

Such great news to hear that bone scan came back clean! Sometimes the nurses are well intended, but they can also cause more worries at times. Either way, you now have a baseline bone scan to be reassured. It’s so hard to not feel overwhelmed by all this. But know that you’re in good hands, and the doctors/nurses have your best interest.

Yes, I too am constantly dealing with headaches. I take migraine meds, they help for a few hours. But trying not to overdo it. Don’t want to overwork liver so early in treatment.

Enjoy your next 5 days! If weather is permissible, a walk and fresh air will do wonders!

xx

• BeckyJL
    BeckyJL Member Posts: 81
    Options

Yea Lillian! Great news! Now I hope both you and Angie can get a handle on the headaches. You've tried more water and pain meds, have you tried increased caffeine? I know when my daughter first started having migraines, caffeine was something the doctor said might help. After that, I got nothing for you: wish I had a magic cure for all of this for all of us!

I've had two days of work and it's going fine. I have all the energy I need for my face to face class, and when it's done - I'm wiped. But that's ok, because I can go home and from the comfort of my big chair, in my sweats with my dog cuddled up next to me I can attack my online classes (or nap). My worries about energy weren't unfounded, but I think my solution is going to work just fine.

This second round, week two is going fine. Only real SE is the fatigue and mild headaches. I thought I was developing thrush, now I don't think so. When I thought I was, I brushed my teeth and extra time during the day and rinsed an extra time or two with the Biotene. My mouth routine is at morning and night 1. brush with colgate sensitive toothpaste, 2. brush with prevident 3. rinse with Biotene. So far, no sores, no thrush, no real problems except lack of taste. Starting to get a little taste back again. If it's like the first round, I should be able to taste a couple of days before the next infusion kills all taste again, lol.

Hope this helps alleviate some fears for those who are a week or two behind me in the schedule. For many of us, we can manage the SEs as we gain experience. The fatigue, well, that's something we just have to manage.

Fun thing, my sister in law who knitted me a bunch of hats, made a matching one for my dog! My dog absolutely hates it, but I got a cute pic of her in it.

• AngieInAmsterdam
    Options

Becky,

Love the matching woolly hats! You both look way too cute! Can imagine how wiped out you must be after 2 days of class. I’m drained from just showering, getting dressed, and throwing laundry into the washer. Though in my defense, I did just had 2nd treatment yesterday. Amazed that I’m actually awake and moving about.

Showered this morning and a handful of hair came off. It’s happening. Thought I was prepared for it. But now, it feels real. Chemo working it’s magic. Most likely heading to wig/hair salon over the weekend to shave it all off. Seems the cool capping isn’t really working for me.

This is today. Day 16 after 1st treatment. Expect by day 21 it will be gone.

• mcbaker
    mcbaker Member Posts: 1,803
    Options

I had my third, tomorrow is my fourth. I went to the local barber, who gave me a nice cut, but told me (mercilessly, as expected) that I have too many bald spots to display it. He was very gentle with the tender areas. This morning I wet my hands and rubbed them around and came away with hair all over my hands. I am hoping to have some left to peek out from under my hats, but no unrealistic expectations. I have knit four hats, bought one, made a kerchief, and bought fabric for another kerchief. Three of my knitted ones have buttons or pins for bling. Now I need to look at the Mary Kay catalog to address the reason why I need so much bling.

• nanette7fl
    nanette7fl Member Posts: 412
    Options

Mary and Angie sorry your beautiful locks are coming out. Soon you'll get to be part of Bald and Beautiful Club!

Angie and Becky I LOVE you photos so cute!

I'm finding the nubs or stubble a little bit annoying! But last night I found a wig cap that was in a donation box and hurray with it on my scarf didn't bug me this morning!! I guess I'll be braving razoring my head tonight in the shower... I'm so nervous about this 8-((

Yesterday i got a wonderful break from my 7yr old granddaughter. My neighbor (who was diagnosed stage 4 BC last winter) picked up my precious girl from school then took her fishing and to hangout with her daughter....then took her to McDonalds for dinner! This left me to deal with her 3 year old sister which was a piece of cake! I love my love in grandkids but chemo and hyper little girls just don't mix too well when dear old Nams (me) is worn out! Today my daughters bf is coming over to help me with the girls and I just might sen the 3 of them to the park.

Tomorrow is week #6 which is 1/2 way mark for me...ONLY 6 more to go!

• BeckyJL
    Options

Nanette, I've shaved a couple of times in the shower. Only advice, use a new razor! My hair in places keep growing, albeit very, very slowly. Just enough to recreate the velcro effect. I agree, it's very annoying. I'm starting to enjoy the wash and go freedom though. It makes getting ready in the morning a lot quicker and I use that time to sleep!!

MCBaker - so sorry. I know how difficult this is, but I predict when you bling it up, you'll continue to look fabulous and it will help you feel a bit better about it all. Be sure to post a pic of your favorite blinged out hat for us to admire!

Angie, so sorry to welcome you to the club. I don't think anyone is ever prepared for losing the hair, even though we all knew it was highly probable. I recommend retail therapy of hat shopping - you're beautiful and will rock what ever headgear you choose, or the bald look if you choose nothing at all.

Stay strong warriors!

• kber
    kber Member Posts: 243
    Options

HI - new to the forum but 6 weeks into AC chemo. This last round (#3) seriously kicked my butt this time! I have one more and then weekly Taxol for 12 sessions.

My MO (is that Main Oncologist?) is suggesting adding Carboplatin to the mix when we do Taxol. Any experience with that? My chemo has been pre-surgery and he's hoping for a pathological complete response.

• anx789
    anx789 Member Posts: 233
    Options

Last Monday, which is Day 12 after my second infusion I started getting a itchy red skin rash on my torso and back. Benadryl helps alleviate the symptoms but the rashes are not going away. My 3rd infusion is schedule next Tuesday, 1/15. I'm scared that this SE will get worst or MO might changed or stop treatment.

• MarnieMay
    MarnieMay Member Posts: 15
    Options

Anxious Lady - I had a rash show up on my thighs and MO said it was a yeast rash and common with my treatment. It was one pill for a week and another the next week if it hadn't cleared. The pill was called fluconazole. Your rash could be something simple like mine was.

Ladies, I am finding the stubble left on my head to be slightly upsetting. I knew my hair was falling out like mad. I felt like there was no options but to buzz it, and then after having done so, I haven't lost anything else. I almost feel like I gave in too soon. I don't want to bic razor it, if this is all I am going to lose. Shouldn't I just let it grow?

• mcbaker
    Options

My medical oncologist has a long string of letters after his name, but no MD. I think they are highly specialized technicians, with a streamlined education in a fast-growing field.I like the idea of retaining a bit of hair to peek out, and just cover the bald spots. But that is Taxol.

• BeckyJL
    Options

Marnie, I'm right there with you. But I have noticed there are spots where it is smooth so I'm guessing my head would have looked mangy: bald spots, thin spots, full hair spots. The thing is the stubble doesn't seem to be growing very fast, just enough to keep me at a near constant velcro effect. I razored it a week ago, and really, not much change in a week. In comparison, I cut my hubby's hair (he's bald except for a ring of hair, so I use the clippers almost as low as they can go about every 3 weeks). His hair grows perceptively a lot over the course of week. Mine doesn't feel like it has grown at all - just velcro level. Annoying.

And now, I noticed a missing patch of lower eyelashes on one eye. This really has me down, worried.

Kber - welcome to the club. Wish I had some advice for you but I'm on a different treatment. Besides, lol, when I ask I always get the "Well, everyone is different" response. But if you need some snark, humor or sarcasm - I'm your woman!

Anxiouslady - as if chemo wasn't bad enough on its own, we also get rashes, yeast infections, headaches, thrush et al. Some days I feel like laughing at the absurdity of this treatment - other days I feel like throwing things.

Today may just be a throwing things kind of day . . .

• mcbaker
    Options

I am going to have to do something about my brows. The hat is nice because it prevents my hair from moving around, therefore minimizing scalp pain. A specialized beautician also suggested putting a castor oil and olive oil poultice on it for a few hours. If you have already shaved, cant undo that. Someone mentioned Nair.

• AngieInAmsterdam
    Options

Hello ladies,

I finally took the plunge and shaved my head. Day 17 as expected, handful of hair cascaded down the drain as I showered this morning. The sight of it all was enough for me.

Didn’t think I was ready to go bald, but I did! And now I feel more empowered by it. Bald is beautiful!

Hope you’re all doing well and SE are mild and manageable.

xx

• Christine1975
    Christine1975 Member Posts: 23
    Options

Angie, you are BEAUTIFUL!!!!! You totally rock that look!!!

Hoping all you of are having a wonderful Friday and a great weekend ahead!!!!

• AngieInAmsterdam
    Options

Thanks Christine! You’re rocking it as well! Keep going strong!

xx

• lilliangish
    Options

Becky, LOVE the matching chemo caps with your dog. Haha! Mine wouldn't wear it long either.

I had thrush in my mouth and was given a prescription for fluconazole and food started tasting right in about a day and half. Had to remember not to take my pro-biotic pill until 4 hours after the thrush pill. My medicine cabinet is getting full. The staff at CVS are starting to recognize me and calling me by name. Like Norm at Cheers.

Anxiouslady, when I read about your rash, I thought yeast too. Hope you're doing ok!!

Love the new hair Angie. Bold and beautiful.

Welcome kber, MO is medical oncologist. No experience with your chemo, but wishing you well!

MCBaker, bling sounds fun!!

Shout out to everyone who is working and taking care of kids during chemo. You are amazing!!!

• nanette7fl
    Options

Hi everyone. Today is my day after chemo day..week 6 of 12. I'm feeling odd today...out of sorts... having trouble focusing on anything real long but I did manage to watch a movie while my 3 year old granddaughter took her nap. Is this the start of chemo brain?

Also I had terribly water eyes this morning I mean watery!!

So my RBC count is getting low which explains why I'm getting so winded. I walked the backyard fenceline today 1/8 acres looking for holes because my Rottie and a 3 month old puppy are escaping to the front porch. Breathing really hard by the time I hit the back door. I eat well but guess I need to hit those frozen fruits in my freeze. My chemo nurse didn't say anything about my blood just it all looks good.

Angie you look good honey

~Nanette

• mcbaker
    Options

Continuing on the post-chemo day phenomenon--

I was busy all day, but don't really know what I got done. Except a friend called me to tell me that her favorite store has coats for 30% off. Not much of a selection left, but she was willing to buy me one. I had been intending on going to Goodwill, but I couldn't turn down a deal like that.

Back story. I was living in a poor area of town ten years ago, and a neighbor died of an OD. Her sister gave me her leather jacket. I have been wearing it for years. Even had it dry cleaned. It was looking ratty, and holes were breaking out in the upper back, where it had been hung up.

So I got a new silvery white coat (washable), to go with my grey and silver hat. It has a nice hood, and feels warm, but enough room under for a hoodie to prevent real chills.

Once I got that, I made another scarf, this one a yard, with a flamboyant knot at the back. Multi-color batik.

Then I crashed, and woke up with a nosebleed.

• lilliangish
    Options

Nanette, I hope you are feeling better.

Mary, the coat, hat and scarf sound lovely! Warm and that's probably a good idea for January in Wisconsin.

My third chemo treatment is tomorrow morning. Trying to gear up mentally for the week to be strong. Kind of still tired from round 2 though and all that stupid nurse drama of wondering if I was stage IV for a few weeks. It is supposed to rain all week here in San Diego.

So....I'll be talking to no one but my brother tomorrow during treatment and maybe I'll let chemo run it's course this week while I sleep and listen to it rain. Sleep, hydrate, eat light, walk each day for 30 min...repeat as needed. I'm picturing a bear headed into her cave to Netflix and Chill for winter. :)

BTW, question for the group. The NP and infusion nurse is with me on each chemo treatment day. And then I see the NP a week after that to monitor blood and follow up. My MO has exited I guess until after chemo. How involved is your MO during chemo for you?

• anx789
    Options

Marnie, Becky, Lillian - it doesn’t seems like a yeast infection because it comes and go and it flares up. This Tuesday will be my 3rd infusion, it will be the first time my doctor will see the rash, I’m wondering what he will do.

• Flower216
    Flower216 Member Posts: 87
    Options

Lillian....I also have my third treatment this week (on Wednesday). I see my MO before each treatment. However, he said if he wasn't in one day-I would see the NP instead.  I do like the continuity of seeing the same person each time, but so far I had two different infusion nurses. Good luck to you!

Angie...you look great!!!!!

MC and Becky...I also noticed a thinning of my eyelashes and eyebrows. But its the lashes that bothers me-there's really nothing to do for it. Headcovers. com has fake eyebrows with human hair...I may have to look into that soon.

I am just so frustrated...my next treatment is wed.  At my last treatment, I had an allergic reaction to the taxotere, so my MO is changing it to abraxane, which is very expensive, and as of Friday, my insurance company has not yet approved it. UGH!

Everyone, try to have a good and easy week!!!

• mcbaker
    Options

I see my MO every three weeks. I think that coincides with the Herceptin. I got some eyebrow pencil yesterday. The improvement is impressive. My denim purse had to go, too. Got a backpack-style one that looks nice with the coat.

Is there any kind of eyedrops that reduces the stinging and burning that might be associated with minimal eyelashes?

• nanette7fl
    Options

Mary try to find an eye drop that is hydrating. Often when we lose our eye lashes our eyes dry out faster....at least that was my experience from not having eye lashes due to Vit D deficiency. At night I used to apply a hydrating gel which I found helped a lot. 

Flower sorry you had an allergic reaction to your treatment!! sending ((hugs)) and hoping your insurance company comes through for you in time. You might want to call them, some times it helps to call and stress the importance of having this medication change and remind them that your treatment is coming up SOON!

Anxious I hope your MO will be able to see the rash and treat it properly so that it goes away!

Lillian... thanks I am feeling better. I believe my RBC's may be up a little as I'm not feeling so exhausted today. I'm trying to consciously eat food high in protein (yogurts, cheese, more milk etc.) I do have to make DH and his friend a pot of beans and ham hocks (15 bean soup) and I'm planning on pulling out some of the beans for me before I add in those ham hocks. I don't mind eating the beans without meat, I used to love it with the ham hocks but without a gall bladder I just can't handle the grease any more! I'm feeling clearer and that is a great thing!! Feeling foggy really was difficult and I'll find out this week if it happens again if it is a temporary SE or some thing that's going to be more and more prevalent as the cumulative effects of Taxol....

Hoping everyone has a GREAT week!!

• BeckyJL
    Options

Third chemo on Friday. This week hasn't been so bad, I'd even say I mostly felt normal. Just a bit more tired and still can't taste anything much. Ice storm here today and all the schools are cancelled - except for my college. Tried to walk the dog but kept slipping and got afraid I'd fall and hurt myself!

Main worry this week is eyelashes. I've had a few on one side bottom lid come out leaving a gap there. Not too noticeable yet according to DH. But I'm worried about losing them, them never growing back, how do I put on fake eyelashes (never done it before in my entire life), and so on. If they go, I think that will be rougher on me than losing/shaving the hair on my head. Anyone else dealing with eyelashes?

Glad to hear mostly good news this week, but we've been kind of quiet. Thanks for the advice on hydrating gel Nanette. Anxious, how's the rash? Any better? Flower, good luck with the insurance.

Everyone else, finish the week strong! Or just finish it. Some weeks just getting through them is victory enough!

• anx789
    Options

Becky, thank you for asking, my rashes starts getting better when I took my pre med steroid on Monday, my 3rd infusion was yesterday, Tuesday. My MO did not lower Taxotere just told me to monitor and if comes back or get worst, he’ll prescribe steroids. I noticed couple of my eye lashes comes out today, too. Seems like this 3rd is the easiest so far, I’m not feeling sick or anything but can’t tell about what the next two weeks will bring.

Anybody taking Neupogen here? I’m getting 3 shots only, my WBC is still normal (5 as of Friday) but declining, I’m thinking of asking my MO to add one shot.

Have a great day everyone

• lilliangish
    Options

I had my 3rd round of treatment on Monday and was very badly sick on Tuesday. Seemed to be either an infection again like the 2nd round or an allergic reaction. I'm better today, but yesterday was pretty bad. Shaking, chills, heavy breathing, kind of out of it...slept 16 hours straight. When I called the triage nurse line, it took a while to get a call back, but they told me it was likely a reaction to the chemo and take the antibiotic for three days. I do feel better today. I will talk to them on my appointment on Monday about this, because it seems like a stronger infection than the last round...and I'm worried about the last round in three weeks. Almost went to ER yesterday. I don't think the second day should make me so sick. Perhaps I'm having an allergic reaction to the Taxotere like Flower. I will ask about that too so thank you for mentioning that Flower.

Well, perhaps the coming days will be easier now that I'm through 2nd day reaction.

My eyelashes are thinning. Odds are very strong they will come back sometime when chemo is over.

• Flower216
    Flower216 Member Posts: 87
    Options

Lillian...I am so sorry you had such a tough time. My allergic reaction happened less than five minutes after my taxotere IV started. They quickly stopped the IV, and administered high doses of benedryl and steroids, then flushed my system and within a half an hour, I felt better. (I was a very scary half hour though).  But I assume there are different allergic reactions that can happen. Please keep us updated with how you feel and what dr says on Monday.

Anxious...glad you are doing well. My eyelashes and eyebrows r thinning...and I am finding this harder than the hair loss.

Becky...I never used fake eyelashes (and don't know if I have patience to try to). I was hoping to take the American cancer society's look good -feel better class. Its now only being give online. I heard that they give good make up suggestions for the "issues" we have now.

I was supposed have treatment #3 today with the new drug, abraxan, replacing the taxotere, but it was postponed til tomorrow since we were waiting for insurance approval. Approval just came through, so now it will be interesting to see how new drug goes. 

Every day of this trip is a new adventure!!!!!!

• mcbaker
    Options

I finally found out why I have to go to the city for my weekly taxol. It is because they have better resources for dealing with anaphylaxis. I have many allergies, and there is no telling what the next one will be. I get massive amounts of benadryl and steroids before the taxol. Once I graduate to herceptin once every three weeks, I can get it in town. So eager for this to end.