Come join others currently navigating treatment in our weekly Zoom Meetup! Register here: Tuesdays, 1pm ET.
Fill Out Your Profile to share more about you. Learn more...

Chemo starting January 2019

Comments

• Skygirl44
    Skygirl44 Member Posts: 8

Hello Ladies round 2 was Thursday much better for me this time around. Nausea is being held pretty good and I have found just eating small protein bites throughout the day does wonders.(it’s when my stomach is empty I’m queasy) No bone pain either thank goodness the Claritin is working (it better be since I have to give myself those silly granix shots myselfWinking. ) Trying to keep up with my walking on my good days and hope to adventure back to the gym this week and start some yoga again. My arm is pretty good now after all those nodes were taken.

Hope everyone is doing well this week and with minimal SE’s.-Be your own kind of beautiful Heart

• Mncteach
    Mncteach Member Posts: 241

Jenkins00- good luck tomorrow... I am starting to come back to normal after my first. I’m not as nauseous and have found work around sand food that I like. My DH is making me potato pancakes and a friend egg for every meal today. It has really hit the spot! For those who already survived this part— does it get easier as the week goes along, am going to try to work but have no idea if I’ll be able to

• gkidsnana
    gkidsnana Member Posts: 13

good luck Jenkins00 with round 2 . I have found round 2 tougher for me, tomorrow is 1 week out from second round and 1 week before round 3. Waiting for another prescription for nausea to be filled as it’s been quite bad at night. Sleep would be good that is not done reclining. My neulasta shot has given me same aches as first time and been managed with Claritin and Tylenol.

Good luck everyone on few side effects

• JES_in_LA
    JES_in_LA Member Posts: 8

Today my hair is starting to fall out. I thought I was prepared for it but I guess not. I had my hair cut somewhat shorter but it is still 3 or 4 inches long. Too late to cut it shorter? This is what I have feared most from chemo- stupid I know but that is where I am. My hair was the one thing I liked about myself....this sucks.

• kaylie57410
    kaylie57410 Member Posts: 117
    Oh girl- is not stupid at all! our hair is such a huge part of our identity and to lose it strips away our privacy to the outside world as to what is going on--My whole life have been complimented on my red hair and to think of losing it too when getting breast cancer was out of my control was more devastating to me than the Dx-- I did cold cap with Penguin Caps and saved 75- 80 % of my hair - made all the difference for me emotionally in coping. No one knew what was happening- was how I wanted it save a few family members and close trusted friends- I am now almost a year and a half post chemo and feel back to normal--other then the occasional middle of the nite worry fest about a recurrence down the road- is all a crap shoot for sure- going day by day, week by week and month by month--agree what you are going thru does suck big time -but it WILL pass and your hair will grow back--this time next year you will have a head of shortish , cute probably curly hair--cry your tears when needed -take a breath-and have faith--hugs,Kaylie
  • rrshannon
    rrshannon Member Posts: 59

Round 2 is coming this Friday. I have been feeling pretty good my fatigue just dealing with all the hair coming out. My scalp is very itchy and I think it is red and irratated. I had cut my hair pretty short with the back portion shaves which has been nice, tomorrow my adult kids come in the morning and I am going to have my three kids shave the rest. Tired of cleaning up all the hair every including my food. Yuck. I have been doing my own modified Keto for the last couple of months but had a few extra cheat meals this weekend before I start my mimicking fasting this week. The last time I had chemo I actually enjoyed the ease of not having hair though it was summer and a lovely break from the heat. This time I have a lot of beanies to keep my head warm.

• Kathy03
    Kathy03 Member Posts: 44

My round 2 was supposed to be this Friday, but now I’m delayed at least a week until I’ve recovered enough from my gall bladder surgery. Ugh, I hate the delay, I just want to keep going and get my 6 cycles done!

My hair started thinning significantly while I was in the hospital. I had an appointment with my stylist for tomorrow evening, but it was falling out so much today (and it’s long!) that I had my husband cut it for me. I’m glad to get that done, though it is strange to look in the mirror. I guess I’ll get used to it, right now all I see is “cancer patient”. I’m so glad I got my wig before this started.

• twiggyOR
    twiggyOR Member Posts: 246

Hi ladies, I've been lurking all month. I was diagnosed with MBC on December 3rd and started THP on January 14 every three weeks. Next round is tomorrow. I previously had TCHP in 2015.

Hair, hair, hair.....when I had chemo in 2015 losing my hair was BY FAR the hardest thing ever. I started shedding on day 12 and shed heavily by day 16 when I was forced to buzz it. The trauma from that was severe and I cried a lot. This time I chose to buzz to 3/4 inch on day 12. It was still hard but the worrying about when was over. Kind of like ripping off the bandaid. Even with just 3/4" hair I have hair everywhere as it's falling out. And oh how my hair follicles hurt.

HYDRATION - be sure to drink your fluids. I had terrible mouth sores and did not get adequate fluid intake. As a result I ended up with blood clotting in my arm. HYDRATION is very important!

Good luck to all of you and I pray we all the best results possible from treatment.

• Mgm0712
    Mgm0712 Member Posts: 12

Hi Ladies. Round 2 has been a little rougher on me. I am on day 6 and havent had a meal since since day 3. Just small bites. It's almost like pregnancy food aversions, but it's all food, not just some. I hope I turn a corner tomorrow. I have never slept so much in my entire life.

Eye twitch... anyone else? It is driving me crazy.

• Jenkins00
    Jenkins00 Member Posts: 99

Mgm0712. - I had some food aversions after the first round but I also had thrush. Sorry to hear this. I guess protein shakes are probably out too? No eye twitch as of now.

I had round two today. Went well, only one small issue was at the end of the Cytoxan I had an itchy throat. Went away as soon as the nurse started the flush. MO is having me reduce my steroid to one pill on infusion day because of flushing. MO also added Prevacid because I get some nausea and GI cramping with the steroid. This is to prevent gastritis.

Good luck and minimal SE’s for all!

• Mgm0712

**follow-up... eye twitch** (It is both eyes... in numerous spots) Nurse said could be SE from compozine and to switch to zofran. My sister then told me that compozine gave her strange reaction in her face... not twitching but made her face have muscle spasms that made it contort. She cant take it anyone. Interesting

• Vermontski
    Vermontski Member Posts: 3

I am 5 treatments in of weekly Taxol and my hair is starting to shed significantly. I am cold capping and will stick with it, but it’s upsetting. Silly question-if some percentage of your hair falls out and the other doesn’t-does the hair that fell out grow back as the curly chemo hair? Does all your hair grow back differently?

I have had muscle twitches in my face for the last two weeks-most the 2/3rd days after chemo. Don’t take compazine so for me, it’s not that. Anyone else have that?

• Jenkins00

Try doing search on the board about eye twitching. I believe I've seen it mentioned in previous Chemo groups. Have you tried eye drops for dry eyes?

• Ruffian188
    Ruffian188 Member Posts: 11

Plugged into chemo #2 right now. Lost my hair yesterday. Still have eyebrows and lashes.

• Jenkins00

Ruffian188 - Love the pic!

Hope everyone is doing well and having minimal SE's.

• piperkay
    piperkay Member Posts: 132

Hi all,

This is my first post after lurking for a month or so getting my bearings. I was diagnosed - for official insurance purposes! - on November 15, though I didn't actually find out myself until the Tuesday before Thanksgiving with a telephone call. Bummer for sure. My husband and I were getting together with my parents and two sisters for the holiday, but we decided not to tell anyone until I had a "plan." That was hard, but I knew that they would have so many questions I would be unable to answer at that point, that it would make me feel even worse. When I finally did tell them after seeing the surgeon, I knew I had made the right decision even though I had to tell everyone except one sister over the phone, which was not ideal.

Anyway, fast forward a bit to lumpectomy on December 10. Good news in that the tumor was confirmed to be just a tiny bit bigger than the ultrasound had suggested at 8mm, clear margins, and no lymph node involvement. (Though the lymph node story is a little more complicated overall...) I then had a port installed on January 14, and had my first chemo on January 17 - cytoxan and taxotere. To my surprise, I really had no noticeable side effects at all in the way of nausea, etc., and spent the weekend pretending I didn't have cancer. - jk. However, by my follow up with my MO the following week, I was dehydrated to the point where she thought initially I'd need a fluid infusion right then and there. But I promised solemnly to drink massive amounts of water from then on, and she let me go home.

Side Effect Prevention/Reduction

I credit the lack of nausea and other SEs like bone pain from the Neulasta to taking my nausea meds religiously and to taking Claritin for 3 days after the treatment as recommended by the nurse. I also apparently avoided any neuropathy by keeping my fingernails in an ice bath during the taxotere infusion. This was the MO's suggestion. She had me wear a medium weight pair of surgical gloves so my skin wasn't direct contact with the ice water. It was uncomfortable for the first few minutes, but I took my hands out of the water briefly when it got bad, but eventually I think they just got numb and it didn't bother me the rest of the hour. Having a nice warm blanket and seat warmers in the chair really helped! For the next round, I'm going to try some ice gel slippers for my feet...

Since then, I've experienced some other SEs like a very runny nose - which I found out from reading these posts IS a side effect and not just me! I've also just started noticing my hair coming out. (Looks like I'm right on schedule there with Ruffian188 although I don't know how long ago your first round was.) They are very small hairs, though, because on 1/22 my sister took me out for a ritual buzz cut. (Everyone says I have such a beautiful head?!?!) So now we're planning to get the rest shaved off ASAP. I've indulged in a shopping spree of sorts ordering all kinds of different hats and scarves. I must say, this retail therapy part is fun, though it could get rather expensive so I'm trying to buy things that I can wear even when the hair grows back!

Tomorrow I have my second treatment and I hope it goes as well.

By the way, as to Jenkins00's post about eye-twitching, I have that too!!! Really just started a few days ago. I haven't tried to do anything about it yet because I've had it in the past - pre-BC - and chalked it up to tiredness/lack of sleep based on things I'd read. It may be the same now, or maybe not. Could also be related to the dehydration issue.

If you've gotten this far, I thank and admire you for your long attention span!

Wishing us all better health and hope!

• JES_in_LA
    JES_in_LA Member Posts: 8

Can you tell me more about Cold Capping? I have seen some but since I am going for week 4 treatment tomorrow is it too late for me? I still have most of my hair and it looks okay.

• Vermontski
    Vermontski Member Posts: 3

does anyone else have acne with chemo and has anyone found anything that helps?

• Mgm0712

So... I haven't tried drops, but will. When I take an atavan, usually at night to help me sleep, it seems to slow down. Maybe I can be drinking more water.

By the way... hows everyone's eyebrows doing? I feel mine have thinned in the past few days. I had my 2nd treatment 1 week ago today

• Nanomom11
    Nanomom11 Member Posts: 27

Hi everybody. I am almost a week out from my second round and seem to be doing ok. Better than the first go around, but I have also had eye twitches and kinda like vision jumping. My MO put me on extra steroids after first chemo and my nurse said maybe it was the steroids causing it. I have also developed major hot flashes! I am pre menopausal so maybe something is changing. Anyone else with hot flashes?

My hair is pretty much gone and I also feel like my eyebrows are thinning so I have been shopping for eyebrow wiglets! I will be ready when they go. There was a lady at the wig shop I used that said sea breeze was good for head and face breakouts but if I remember from my younger days it can sting a little. I just used dove sensitive soap and Aveeno calming cream when developed a little bit of acne

Good luck on everyone’s next go around.

• Jenkins00

Welcome PiperKay. I hope your second round went well.

Jes In LA - Have you looked on previous boards about cold capping? I don't know much about it.

I've had acne pre BC and use a mild cleanser like Cetaphil. I also use a toner or astringent but an alcohol free one because alcohol can dry your skin out. The I use an oil free moisturizer like Clean and Clear dual free moisturizer.

My eyebrows seem to be okay but I just had my second treatment on Monday. Never heard of eyebrow wiglets?!

Yes, to hot flashes!

• Mncteach

Got head shaved today. Two wigs to play with as well

imageimageimage

• Kathy03

Mncteach, love the wigs. The first is fun, the second is absolutely perfect! It’s so flattering and I’d never know it’s a wig!

I shaved my crew cut yesterday too. Here’s my wig. I’ve also ordered a hairpiece to wear under hats, can’t wait to get that!

• Mncteach

Kathy 03- Love the wig!!!

• Jenkins00

Love the wigs ladies!! I'm not brave enough to post mine! Yet.....

So this gal developed oral thrush again! Ugh! MO prescribed me a fungal lozenge this time. Bone pain was better this time but fatigue hit harder. Still dealing with constipation this time too.

Hope everyone is doing well with SE's. Update us when you can! Hugs!

• MLAnne
    MLAnne Member Posts: 65

Okay, I will join in on the wig reveal.

Before (real hair)

After

Wig

• Mncteach

I love it! Thanks for sharing

• Kathy03

Very nice! I never paid much attention to wigs before, never realized how natural they look! You are evidence of that!! I know it helps my confidence knowing that I can go out in public and feel like myself.

• Jenkins00

Wow! All the wigs look great!

• Kstinekd
    Kstinekd Member Posts: 12

Wow those wigs look great!