Come join others currently navigating treatment in our weekly Zoom Meetup! Register here: Tuesdays, 1pm ET.
Fill Out Your Profile to share more about you. Learn more...

Health concerns of Allergan Textured implants

Options

Comments

• Yaniza
    Yaniza Member Posts: 83
    Options

... when talking about reconstruction and implants it should be determined before any advice is given whether we're talking about a prepectoral placement or a subpectoral placement.

It makes a big difference.

• rmgrmg
    rmgrmg Member Posts: 26
    Options

kjtm, have you gotten your implants out yet and how did it go? I have textured implants and plan to get them out within a few weeks as I never felt comfortable with them and also with the risk of ALCL I am getting them out. Let me know how your surgery went!

• rmgrmg
    Options

I plan to get my textured Implants out within weeks. I am so glad your surgery went well and hoping the same for me. I am getting the complete capsulectomy with implant removal with a breast lift. I was wondering if they did rountinely do testing on textured implant capsule for ALCL, even if you don't have symptoms of ALCL or what was your experience? Thanks and take care! RMG

• rmgrmg
    Options

kjtm, have you gotten your implants out yet and how did it go? I have textured implants and may plan to get them out due to them being older, maybe a bit too large now for me and have some concerns too over BIA ALCL issues. Let me know how your surgery went!

• rmgrmg
    Options

I am looking at the FDA data and its as well as multiple links by Jamee on the topic and your risks are almost nothing for smooth implants, unless you get a textured implant, which could increase your risk to ALCL, even though it is left in for a short period for expansion it does increase your risk still of ALCL, according to the literature Jamee posteed...search and see.

• rmgrmg
    Options

I am looking at the FDA data and its as well as multiple links by Jamee on the topic and your risks are almost nothing for smooth implants, unless you get a textured implant, which could increase your risk to ALCL, even though it is left in for a short period for expansion it does increase your risk still of ALCL, according to the literature Jamee posteed...search and see.

• rmgrmg
    Options

• Sharon2010
    Sharon2010 Member Posts: 3
    Options

cross posting with another thread about this...

I am beyond happy to say that my pathology came back benign! I just had my Allergan 410s removed last week, with total capsulectomy. Finding out it was negative the day before my 45 birthday was the best birthday gift ever. I'm anxious to see what the FDA will determine next week at their meeting. Hopefully they will follow suit with Europe, and pull all textured implants from the US market.

I had them replaced with round, smooth, highly cohesive gel implants. The same level of cohesiveness as the 410s, but not anatomically shaped and textured.

• rmgrmg
    Options

Congrats and late HB. How was the exchange surgery for new implants in terms of tolerance and pain compared to the expander out to exchange surgery? That surgery was painful for me so I am wondering if me having capsulectomy with exchange of implants is easier?

• rmgrmg
    Options

The risk can be as high as 1/450 for allergan biocell textured implants according to the FDA yesterday in silverspring md see the fda live web cast and risk

• bc101
    bc101 Member Posts: 923
    Options

I was going to exchange my 5 year old Allergan 410s primarily because of pain and odd symptoms like random swelling, itching and lumps that come and go. Plus I haven't felt well since my exchange but I never attributed any of my symptoms to my breast implants. When I went in for a consult in 2017, my PS (and all other providers on my team) downplayed the risk of BIA-ALCL. She suggested we exchange the gummy bears for round smooth implants. I went away feeling like my concerns had all been swept under the rug. My PS suggested PT, acupuncture and massage. Nothing helped.

Fast forward 2 years and BIA-ALCL is all over the news. After watching the FDA hearings last week, my trust levels in the medical industry has fallen to a new low. I learned that the risks of all implants is an issue, not just the textured ones, due to the reaction of the body fighting a foreign object implanted. During the hearings, the use of ADM was also brought up as a concern, especially being used in conjunction with the implants. It's so hard to believe that anyone on the panel would turn a blind eye to the unknowns of these devices and the many stories of the women who were harmed by them, including being diagnosed with cancer after being implanted with both smooth and textured alike. Allergan 410s have been banned in 33 countries worldwide for further study, yet the U.S. doesn't follow suit. I just don't get it.

As a cancer survivor I find this unacceptable. I respect women's choice to have implants, but we need to be adequately informed of the risks. Any potentially harmful device should be removed from the market until they know more. And women who have them shouldn't have to read about it in the news. I'll be going to my PS again next month to discuss this issue and if I do anything, I'll go flat before I take another risk with my health.

• Yaniza
    Options

Does anyone know if the allergen 410 textured implants are only used in reconstructive surgeries or are they also used for breast augmentation?

Yaniza

• veggal
    veggal Member Posts: 261
    Options

They are used for both. 

• Yaniza
    Options

Do we know if there is a higher incidence of ALCL in reconstructive surgery patients than there is in people just enlarging their breasts?

• rmgrmg
    Options

No, risk would be the same I think unlless the cancer patients had some genetic markers that promote BIA ALCL that the general population doesn't, but I doubt it.

• beacher4209
    beacher4209 Member Posts: 259
    Options

There are lots of Breast Implant Illness FB sites out there. Do your research before you decide on implants.

• beacher4209
    beacher4209 Member Posts: 259
    Options

Yes Racheal have the testing when you explant

• beesie.is.out-of-office
    beesie.is.out-of-office Member Posts: 1,435
    Options

There is a lot of discussion about BIA-ALCL these days, and it does need to be investigated further and more thoroughly. For all of us who've already had breast cancer, the idea that we've put something in our bodies that could cause cancer is scary.

That said, the worst case scenario, which is the single doctor's experience at MSK (as per the chart above), puts the risk at 0.2%. Most other assessments put the risk at significantly less than that.

While some cases have been fatal, when caught early, BIA-ALCL can almost always be successfully treated with surgery alone. The problem in the past has been that with little-to-no awareness of this disease, no one was looking for it and it wasn't always caught early.

I've had textured implants for 13 years with no problems. I've been on this site for 13+ years and have seen lots of problems with implant reconstruction, but can't recall a single case of BIA-ALCL. Of course I don't read every post so maybe there's been 1 or 2 cases among the thousands of women who've had textured implants who've come through this site over the years.

If your textured implants are uncomfortable or if there are other reasons why you've considered removing them or replacing them, then this could be the reason the pushes you to have the surgery. But if you are happy with your reconstruction and have had no problems with your implants, step back and take the time to be fully informed. Remember that surgery has risks. Replacing implants that are functioning well could lead to new problems, whether with implant placement, comfort, rippling, or, as a PS told me, "maybe the next implant is a dud and fails after just a few years". Keep in mind that even in countries where these implants have been taken off the market pending further investigation, to my knowledge there are no recommendations that women who have already have textured implants should have them removed if the implants are not causing any problems.

Nobody wants to deal with BIA-ALCL. If you are worried, talk to your Plastic Surgeon. Make an informed decision that's right for you based on the facts, not the media hype.

• minustwo
    minustwo Member Posts: 13,092
    Options

Beesie - thanks for your summary & voice of reason. I've had my Allergan 410 implants for 8 years. I like the look. I like the feel. I have never had any problems (knock wood). I expect I'll get around to talking with my PS about an MRI later this year, but I'm with you. The numbers are small. Replacing something that is causing no problem makes no sense to me. Another surgery and possible attendant side effects isn't worth it to me.

• mantra
    mantra Member Posts: 189
    Options

it’s been a long time since I’ve posted. After a double mastectomy, gummy textured implants, numerous fat filling surgeries I considered it “done” when I reached that wonderful 5 year mark. With this new scare about texture I no longer feel secure. I basically had the double mastectomy to go above and beyond what was needed just to give me the sense of security I craved. Now I feel like I’ve taken a huge step backwards and making decisions I thought I was done with. Removal? New implants? What kind? When? Who? My tattoos were done in Baltimore and will I require to drive there for a touch up. Risks of new surgery? For me the surgery really affected my golf came and will new surgery affect it even more

Has anyone in Ontario had them replaced how long did it take from first appointment to actual surgery

• robinblessed54
    robinblessed54 Member Posts: 485
    Options

Beesie, well said! I have had my textured implants 4 years. I love them and as Minus Two said, no problems at all. I love the look, feel and the way they fit my body. I have no intention to revise. I don't believe the risk is great enough to worry. I too had nipple tattoos by a professional here in California. They were the cherry on the top! Everyone must do what they think best, just research it and get an opinion from a PS if need be.

Robin

• bc101
    bc101 Member Posts: 923
    Options

We all have to do what is right for ourselves. I've been reading about this issue and have decided to explant. I've had pain and swelling plus lots of other symptoms ever since my reconstruction over 5 years ago. For me, it just isn't worth the worry. Lymphoma or not, I think I may be one of the minorities out there whose body has worked hard to reject these foreign objects ever since implanting. Plus after hearing the FDA testimonies from both sides, the fact that France and Canada have banned these implants, and many doctors are no longer using them, leads me to believe there is enough to doubt the current stats. This is a new and growing problem, so the risks are unknown at this point. That's just my opinion, as I've said, you have to make your own mind and be able to sleep at night. I am hoping that my tests are negative, and that my other symptoms go away after surgery. We'll see....

***My PS said there is no scientific basis behind this scare....but I don't need a study to tell me there is something wrong with my body. I've read that implants were put on the market with no valid studies proving their safety. So my personal belief is that at this point, they should remove them from the market and prove that they are safe vs. keep them on the market and prove that they are dangerous (something that the surgeons and manufacturers will never do unless forced into it). It's backwards thinking, in my mind.

• niffer291
    niffer291 Member Posts: 2
    Options

Hi,

I too have the textured gummies and am considering having them taken out due to the concern. However, I am considering having a DIEP flap surgery and getting rid of implants all together. I have had my implants for about 9 years. I don't like the way they feel always cold, when I bend over a bit my chest looks so weird because of all the chest muscle they took out. I also have a tummy left over when I had my twins (14 years ago!!) So I have plenty of fat tissue to donate.

I am meeting with a surgeon today to discuss options.

Good luck to all of us and our decisions

• niffer291
    niffer291 Member Posts: 2
    Options

Hi,

I too have the textured gummies and am considering having them taken out due to the concern. However, I am considering having a DIEP flap surgery and getting rid of implants all together. I have had my implants for about 9 years. I don't like the way they feel always cold, when I bend over a bit my chest looks so weird because of all the chest muscle they took out. I also have a tummy left over when I had my twins (14 years ago!!) So I have plenty of fat tissue to donate.

I am meeting with a surgeon today to discuss options.

Good luck to all of us and our decisions

• mantra
    Options

I’ve had textured implants since approx 2010. I had a mastectomy and prophylactic mastectomy to come as close to guaranteeing to not have a recurrence as possibly can.Finding out my implants put me at risk for cancer and knowing they have stopped using them in France, Canada and I believe the US is enough to convince me to have them removed. I really thought this was all behind me. Now I’m back to having surgery and of course the need to make decisions on what should be my next step. I don’t want any reconstruction that will affect any more muscles. The loss of full use of my pec muscles has been a hard one to adjust to as I’ve lost the strength needed in some of the sports I play. So my decision is remove the implants and don’t reconstruct. (Dreading doing this because I will have a hard time accepting the new me) or go with smooth implants. I understand that risk of getting cancer is still a problem with smooth implants. What are others in this situation doing? I see my plastic surgeon in May

• Dogsneverlie
    Dogsneverlie Member Posts: 164
    Options

Hmmmmm….after reading all of this, I am a little concerned.  I met with a PS who is supposed to be AMAZING and she wants to use the textured implants on me, she did discuss the risks but feels there is not enough data to support not using them and she thinks they are the ones I should move to - radiation damage is sending me in for a third reconstructions and hopefully some fat grafting for shape to fix the radiated breast - it is pretty deformed.

• mantra
    Options

They have been banned in many countries recently. I know Canada is about to ban them. Europe has banned them. Personally I would not risk have them used as your implant and I would question any surgeon who is saying otherwise. I've had mine in for about 8 years. I have been out of country for 6 months but when I return next week I have already set up two consult appointments to discuss removal and possible replacement with ???. It's the replacement that is really making me anxious. I'm vacillating between going flat and having new implants. Going through another implant surgery with all the possible complications is really making me nervous. Plus implants are usually only good for 7-10 years. I also read that ALL implants can cause cancer. So I'm thinking "hey I had a double mastectomy so I wouldn't get cancer, so why am I replacing my implants with something that can cause cancer". It just isn't making sense. I absolutely love my implants. She did a fantastic job. I then had 3 d nipple tattoos that look absolutely real. It's devastating to have to remove them. If I go flat I will probably do a tattoo that resembles a bra. Still undecided.

• minustwo
    minustwo Member Posts: 13,092
    Options

I am NOT going to have mine replaced. I've had Allergan 410s since 2011. I chose implants in the first place for ease of pulling on clothes in the morning and going forward as close to normal as possible - so going flat was/is not an option for me. Nor was Lat or Tram surgery sensible due to my age & since I didn't have enough fat. I'm having no problems. I like how they look. I like how they feel. Unfortunately due to recurrent BC, I had to have ALND surgery 2 years after my reconstruction - so now I have lymphadema. I definitely don't want another surgery & recovery. I will monitor with appropriate imaging and watch & wait. Hopefully I won't be one of the few who end up with APL.

• beesie.is.out-of-office
    beesie.is.out-of-office Member Posts: 1,435
    Options

It is not true that most implants only last 7-10 years. According to the WebMD article, approx. 20% of women replace their implants within the first 10 years but some of this is by choice and not due to implant failure. Most sites say that implants last between 10 to 20 years but in reality many last much longer. So whether you need to replace your implants depends on luck (do you have a sturdy long lasting implant or not? do you develop capsular contraction or other problems or not? etc.) and age at the time that the implant is put in. Obviously the older you are when you have the implant put in, the less likely you'll ever need a replacement.

https://www.webmd.com/beauty/news/20110622/fda-silicone-breast-implants-dont-last-a-lifetime#1

http://m.marketwired.com/press-release/do-breast-implants-need-to-be-replaced-every-10-years-1991411.htm

One thing to keep in mind about going flat after having implants for many years is that the chest wall might not be flat. This is definitely something that anyone considering implant removal (without replacement) should ask a Plastic Surgeon about

• mantra
    Options

I have textured implants Allergan 410 and honestly have no idea what to do. Do I want to leave implants in that have been banned because they are causing cancer? I don’t think so because I had a double mastectomy so I wouldn’t get cancer. Ideally I would love to avoid having to put implants in altogether and be done with it. But the unknown results of what it will look like and how I will deal with the look is making me really hesitant. I have no desire to have Extensive surgery. My pec muscles being used for the implants have really affected the sports in my life and I don’t want surgery that will affect other muscles. So at this point it’s feels like my only options are leave the textured in or put in smooth implants and risk cancer or risk surgical complications.