Come join others currently navigating treatment in our weekly Zoom Meetup! Register here: Tuesdays, 1pm ET.
Fill Out Your Profile to share more about you. Learn more...

Starting Chemo in February 2019

Options

Comments

• laurencl
    laurencl Member Posts: 203
    Options

nondefined,

My MO told me that they will check all the way along to see that things are working. I don’t know about scans and all but I was lead to believe that they will be checking all the way along.

Lauren

• Pinky24
    Pinky24 Member Posts: 10
    Options

Loiswb, you and I are on the same schedule for AC. Will you have your last round April 4th also? I made reservations for Easter brunch, as I’m hoping to be feeling good by then. I already completed 12 rounds of Taxol, so my hair was already gone, but over the past 2 weeks I’ve lost my eyebrows and lashes, which is more upsetting to me than losing my hair was. I’m gearing up for round 3 this Thursday- thinking it shouldn’t be too bad; however I came down with a cold a few days ago, so I’m hoping to get over that first. The weather is getting nicer here, which makes everything easier. I think the AC is working for me, because my janky boob now feels almost exactly the same as my good one

Hugs and healing to everyone!

• santabarbarian
    santabarbarian Member Posts: 2,310
    Options

I think they skip scans if they can feel the lump softening or getting smaller. They will scan you if it is in doubt and they are not able to be tracked in less invasive ways.

• Kitkat8074
    Kitkat8074 Member Posts: 47
    Options

My MO said he would not do another scan until start of second phase of chemo toward the end.

• loiswb
    loiswb Member Posts: 86
    Options

Yes, notdefined, when I asked about that, my MO indicated that scans will be repeated after all chemo done before radiation started, I believe. But, in my case anyway, since last margins clear and last nodes taken were all negative, and initial CT and bone scan were normal, so there really won't be anyway to really see any difference? 

• Gonnabeatthis
    Gonnabeatthis Member Posts: 57
    Options

Has anyone had changes in their vision? I’m on TCHP and I’ve noticed that my eyesight is blurry with some double vision. This is a new side effect and it’s preventing me from reading, my last escape! My distance vision is a okay for watching TV but I certainly don’t feel comfortable driving with this side effect. Still feeling pretty crappy from my treatment last week, hoping tomorrow is better.

• laurencl
    Options

I wear glasses full time and had trouble wearing my glasses for the first week. Felt dizzy with them on. The feeling did go away

• paloma1211
    paloma1211 Member Posts: 95
    Options

I’m also doing TCHP - going tomorrow for rd2. My vision definitely feels a little less clear. I wear glasses for distance, and I feel like I need them more than ever. Close up I’m still ok, but I’m right at the edge of needing “cheaters” anyway (I’m 48).

I’d love to hear about people’s hair loss. I get the feeling that everyone’s story is different, but I’m trying to get a handle on knowing what to expect.

My hair started shedding on day 17, and has continued through today. I got a super short haircut, but I’m deciding if I should just shave it all off. Or just wait and see if it keeps shedding. Has anyone had the experience of the shedding just coming to a halt? Or does it just keep going going going til it’s all gone?

I’m a massage therapist and am planning to wear my wig to work tonight. I got one to match my formerly just-above-my-shoulders length. I don’t want a bunch of questions from my clients about what happened to my hair...

• santabarbarian
    santabarbarian Member Posts: 2,310
    Options

I stopped shedding. But I looked like the cryptkeeper by that time. bald on top and sides thin but there. i cut it off at chin length so it couldl peek out of my caps and not look quite as obviously "chemo patient," which worked great till my eyebrows fell out (late in chemo). Never did lose all my hair. Then when the rest began to grow back in, I cut it to be even w the new growth. I had my Emma Gonzales moment then.

• Gonnabeatthis
    Options

I can wear my glasses, I am having dizzy/lightheaded/nausea but the double vision and blurry vision has been around for a few days now, Hoping it goes away as quickly as it started.

• Rozzy
    Rozzy Member Posts: 11
    Options

3rd round it Carboplatin and Taxotere was on Friday, I'm zapped. Fatigue, lost all taste, bone pain. This round seems much harder than the prior two. I'm hoping the taste will return soon, Wish it would today! Today is my 30th wedding anniversary and hubby bought our favorite strawberry cake! I'm going to try a bit later and hope to be able to enjoy a bite at least. Hope everyone isn't doing and feeling well this week so far

• Gonnabeatthis
    Options

Rozzy, sounds like you are a round ahead of me, but I get Herceptin and Perjeta as well.

Happy Anniversary! Very thoughtful husband! Can you freeze the cake until your taste comes back?

Hope you recover quickly!

• Rozzy
    Rozzy Member Posts: 11
    Options

Thanks Gonnabeatthis,

Good idea to freeze some of the cake till I can enjoy. I'll do that.

How are you doing with your treatments

• Notgivingup
    Notgivingup Member Posts: 143
    Options

Good Evening!

I am happy to say I am halfway done with chemo! Only 2 more to go. That being said, I think we got a handle on my hot flashes and fainting issues. I didn't faint this weekend which was great.

I have found that my electrolytes go crazy after getting chemo. So I now drink 32 ounces of Gatorade/Powerade a day for a couple days before chemo and will continue until Thursday. I also keep ice packs handy to help with the hot flashes. My husband made milkshakes each night and those might not be medically necessary, but they mentally made a difference to me.

I hope you all are doing well. Let's keep going forward. We got this!

• Kathy03
    Kathy03 Member Posts: 44
    Options

Yes to the blurry vision! It’s not to the point that I can’t drive or do normal activities, but it does bother me. And my left eye is constantly watery and teary.

My eyelashes and eyebrows are still there but significantly thinner. I’m dreading losing those, maybe even more than my hair! Guess I need to start looking into false lashes and brows and makeup tips for when that happens.

I’ll hit my halfway point with round 3 this Friday. Round 2 hasn’t been too bad after the first week or so, but seems like R3 hits lots of folks harder, so not sure what to expect.

Congrats to those reaching your halfway point and beyond! It’s a good reminder that we’ll get through this, and that makes the SE’s more bearable

• notdefined
    notdefined Member Posts: 267
    Options

Rozzy-Happy Anniversary!

Paloma1211-I was similar to you in that I cut my hair short, and then just started to see how much fall out.  I lasted about a week, and then just asked husband to buzz it.  It was itchy and just bugging me, so I got tired of the waiting game.  I didn't try any of the cold capping or anything.  

I noticed today that my thumb nail bottoms are blackish.  Does that mean I am going to lose my nails?  Is there anything I can do for them?  

• Mncteach
    Mncteach Member Posts: 241
    Options

my nail bottoms have been blackish for the last two rounds. MO wasn’t concerned just a side effect of low rbc and not getting good circulation.

• laurencl
    Options

Got my hair buzzed today . I put the wig on right away and don’t plan to look at myself for a while. I want to get better, and this is what we have to do, but it is hard.

Lauren

• notdefined
    Options

Good to know Mnteach. I got my test results today, and I think my rbc were on the low side.

Laurencl-I know what you mean. I was trying to preserve some kind of me, and refused to not be bald in front of my family. But I gave up on that. Wigs are so itchy and uncomfortable, and the scarves can be.

*Edited

AFM-crossing my fingers that my liver is in good shape for AC #3. If my results come back too high, my MO will switch me to AC every 3 weeks. I really just want to get this done.

Hope you are all doing okay with SE.

• paloma1211
    paloma1211 Member Posts: 95
    Options

yes, laurencl, putting on the wig for the first time was really weird. I went to work with it on, straight away, and I felt like an impostor. I’m buzzing the rest of mine off today, the shedding is getting too annoying. Deep breaths, we are all just getting through it to get it done.

Kathy03, someone recommended putting castor oil on the brows every day to help keep them in tact. I’ve been doing that, as well as putting tea tree oil on my finger and toe nail 2x a day. I’m about 3 weeks behind you, so I don’t know yet whether it will work, but might be worth a try

• notdefined
    Options

My test results came back and are thankfully within range.  I think this confirms that it was the water fasting that cause my results to spike rather than the chemo itself.  I am trying mimicking fasting this go around so hopefully that works out

Going in tomorrow, so kissing the next 3 days goodbye.  3 out of 4 here we go.

• loiswb
    loiswb Member Posts: 86
    Options

Glad I'm not getting the stuff causing the blurry vision, I have to read a computer at work! Plus I love reading.Had round 3 AC today. I was wondering about the eyebrows, mine look a bit thinner but still pretty good. My hair first started shedding at about day 12 and got worse and worse. Started wearing hats on day 19 (top was bald!)  I have a lot of gray but not totally so it was a weird mix/look! When I went to look at wigs on Day 21 she offered to shave it and it was so nice not to have hair everywhere all the time. Still have some stubble. I have been wearing hats to work, decided that an 8 hour day is too long to wear it, (the hats are itchy enough sometimes) Might wear my wig on Sunday for church. Probably should have worn it right away cuz now I am nervous. I sometimes go around at home in the evening with nothing on my head, it gets a bit sweaty and just need to breathe,. My family seems to handle it ok! HA. I have one more round AC and then start the weekly Taxol. Trying to figure out how best to schedule that with work, as supposedly it isn't as bad side effects as the AC. Happy Anniversary Rozzy! Hope you can enjoy your cake. The loss of taste and appetite is no fun but definitely could be worse. Good luck to everyone with treatment and hair issues! 

• margun
    margun Member Posts: 385
    Options

hi. I am diagnosed with her2 positive 3rd grade bc. I had my second ac chimo on march8. I have a dry cough after a few days which is still on. I have itchy throat Anyone had a similar effect and it is because of what. I contacted murs and she told me if it is dry do not worry whiteout explaining what is occurred. I am seeeing my ontologie to next week but I would like to if someone’s else had this after ac.

I am also terrified with the all stories I could find on internet about her2 positive. Any positive survival stories you cn tell to encourage us. This came unexpevted, no family story, no smoking no drinking and relatively young. I would like herring encouraging stories. Thank

M

• Pinky24
    Pinky24 Member Posts: 10
    Options

I’m a little disappointed today; I was all geared up for AC #3, but had to reschedule for next week due to a nasty cold I’ve been fighting for the past week. Trying to be patient, but I’m so anxious to be done with chemo. I started the first week of November and it’s been such a long winter!

Hang in there, everyone

• Mncteach
    Mncteach Member Posts: 241
    Options

Margun- I have had a dry cough with chemo. My MO and nurse said the same thing, as long as it’s dry and no fever, all is good!

Pinky— so sorry you had to delay again. That was my biggest fear, I now have a sore throat so hoping that won’t affect the start of my Taxol on Thursday

• margun
    Options

hi. I am diagnosed with Her2positive grade 3. Tumor size 15mm. I am scared what I find about this Her2positive. Apparanyis the most agressive with high recurrence. Any positive stories out there?

I had my nd ac treatment on March 8 and until now I have a dry cough mostly during the day. Nuts sais if there in no mucus no worries but anyone had this and what causes this?

Thanks

• IdRatherBeBoatin
    IdRatherBeBoatin Member Posts: 13
    Options

Margun,

Go to the Her2+ topics on this website. They will help you feel better. Although it is aggressive, we have great targeted treatment options that are responding really well. Truely, herceptin is a game changer!! I am actually thankful I am Her2+. I disagree with high recurrence. After 2 rounds of treatment, I can no longer feel my tumor. It is amazing! How far along are you in treatment? If you get a chance, you should complete your profile so we can further answer questions about your actual diagnosis.

Regarding the sore throat, cough.. this is pretty normal. Suck on cough drops, that helps me. Gargle with baking soda and salt water. Remember that chemo kills off the rapidly multiplying cells in you body, which includes cells in your mouth and mucous membranes, intestines etc. You should ask for more information from your oncologist about side effects of chemo, so you feel a little more prepared. We are happy to share our info and experiences on this website as well.

Best wishes to you, Boatin :)

• Kathy03
    Kathy03 Member Posts: 44
    Options

Paloma, thanks for the castor oil tip, I hadn’t heard that. My MO did mention tea tree oil for my nails, and since I just started getting lines and coloration, I’ll pick up some of that as well.

Pinky, sorry for your delay! I had a 3 week delay between rounds one and two, so I know it’s frustrating! Hope your cold gets better quickly so maybe this can be a productive week and not just a miserable one.

I’m in the chair getting infusion #3 now... so far so good. My infusions have all been rather uneventful, we’ll see what the next week brings. Scared

• margun
    Options

thanks Boaline for your answer I have 1.5cm Tumor in my right breast Her2positive grade 3. I am scheduled to have 4 Ac and 12 taxol with I think Herceptin. Then a surgery. After surgery no one told me what is scheduled because I think it depends how it will go.

On March 8 I had my 2nd ac and it was tougher than the 1st. On 2nd and 3rd days I felt heavy chest even I was lying down in my bed. The 1st week was really mostly in bed just doing a little things in the house to get moving.

This means the next round can be harder. Logically my body gets weaker with chimo.

Also I want to know if the ac is tougher that others I will be having:taxol Herceptin?

Thank

• beesy_the_other_one
    beesy_the_other_one Member Posts: 170
    Options

Boatin'--I am so excited to read you can no longer feel your tumor! That chemo / H&P are doing their jobs! This makes me so very happy! It took mine much longer to respond, but you are right to encourage Margun. I'm sorry you're finding yourself here, Margun, but Boatin' is right--HER2 positive tumors, while aggressive, generally respond well to treatment. Beware of googling, though, because what you may be reading could be old, and before these targeted therapies (Herceptin and Perjeta), HER2 positive women generally had the worst outcomes. The relatively small size of your tumor is a great advantage, along with the fact that they started chemo quickly. Boatin's tumor was large, and mine grew large right after diagnosis. My pathology report after surgery showed no cancer cells in the breast or nodes; they could only find evidence of a tumor bed and the clip placed at biopsy. Five weeks later, I'm still stunned that those drugs could have made such an impact.

Margun, don't assume that you will get weaker and weaker with each chemo. My doctor gave me a "loading dose" the first round and it knocked me down and good--apparently they do this because the tumor's never been exposed to chemo and it really affects it. I did not realize he'd given me more the first time until much later and thought like you did: if this cumulative, what will I be like by the end? But after round 2, it almost seemed like my body said, "Okay, they're going to poison me--I gotta deal with it." I'm not trying to say it was a cake walk, but it definitely got easier.

Rejoicing with you Boatin'--and looking forward to rejoicing with you very soon, Margun!