Come join others currently navigating treatment in our weekly Zoom Meetup! Register here: Tuesdays, 1pm ET.
Fill Out Your Profile to share more about you. Learn more...

Starting Chemo in February 2019

Options

Comments

• HOPE012119
    HOPE012119 Member Posts: 19
    Options

It made me feel better to hear that driving isn’t necessary the same for folks as it was before treatment. Thanks for sharing Paloma Gonnabeatthis and Mncteach! I ended up giving my keys to my sister and she’s been driving the kids to school. I had to take some leave (without pay) from work this week because I couldn’t function. The meds make me so tired. But I feel too sick if I skip the meds. And I couldn’t stop crying. Probably because of fatigue and all the crazy chemicals and feelings of guilt for not catching my cancer sooner. I was unprepared for the emotional and mental toll that this treatment would take on me. I felt like we're expected to show how great we're living our life and doing our normal activities as we’re fighting our cancer battles. That line in my chemo orientation binder is emblazoned in my mind, “most people continue working through chemo”. I hoped to at least keep up with our bills ;). But I now recognize i need to adjust. And I'm trying to become more patient with myself and focus the stuff that's important to me. Like my husband and young kids. Chemo is no joke. And if I just get through it without accomplishing anything else for the next 3.5 months I’m still celebrating! And there will be time to pick up the pieces in the future

Thanks for sharing the magic mouthwash recipe, I’dratherbeboatin! Sorry to hear so many folks are suffering from mouth sores :(

Paloma I hope work went well! Hope you have time to recover!

Take care everyone :)

• laurencl
    laurencl Member Posts: 203
    Options

We all have our moments with all the same feelings. Hang in there!

Lauren

• paloma1211
    paloma1211 Member Posts: 95
    Options

If you can afford to stay away from your job, Hope, you should. Having a husband and a family is a job in itself. Your healing and self care are most important in this time. I truly hope you are feeling more like yourself very soon. Chemo is tough stuff, and it’s challenging to admit that our bodies are feeling the toll. My np said “you are going to have to listen to your body more than you’ve ever done before.” You got this, sister.

• santabarbarian
    santabarbarian Member Posts: 2,310
    Options

Hope,

I think it is healthy to give in to the reality of needing to slow down. One gentle thing I could do for myself was to rest and nap when I needed to and say no to all depleting, exhausting things. I am self employed. During the actual week of chemo I went very easy on myself and did not do much outside feed myself, exercise, and rest. The weeks between chemos were much better, and I could do more of my normal things.

You job right now is kick cancer's ass, take care of yourself, and love on your family.

Anything else can wait!

• Gonnabeatthis
    Gonnabeatthis Member Posts: 57
    Options

Hope,

I quit my part-time job before my surgery. I am very fortunate that I had that option, my sister was not. There are days during chemo week I can barely move off the sofa. I don’t know how anyone could work through this treatment. A good friend of mine, when he heard I wasn’t working said “Yes you are, you’re healing. That is a full time job”.

I hope you get some good days soon!

• Mncteach
    Mncteach Member Posts: 241
    Options

It is so wonderful to hear everyone talking about working and SE. I am working and that is the one thing I am doing. I am not sure how much longer I can keep it up as this week I have been having so much fatigue and being winded it's just not funny. I do not have kids (other than the ones at my job as a teacher) so I go home, put my feet up, and go to bed early. I am seeing a therapist who also facilitates our local cancer support group and he reminded me that while I am the type to feel guilty over everything I can't do, I need to remind myself and have others remind me that just working a full day is a win. Chemo is no joke and definitely not for wimps! Hope- I know what you mean about the line in the binder about working during treatment being emblazoned! I read that and my surgeon also said she recommends that her patients work during treatment and thought ok, piece of cake, I can do this! NOT!!!! In fact many in my cancer support group did not work during treatment.

• HOPE012119
    Options

Thank you Lauren, Paloma, Santabarbarian, Gonnabeatthis, and Mncteach! I wish I could give each of you a hug! I know you all are going through your own battles so I’m very grateful that you took the time and responded to my message (cry for help :-/)! I was feeling low again while trying to work this morning. But Your kinds words lifted me up! I felt the support from all of you and got it together enough to call the social worker at the hospital who talked me through some stuff. And now we got the ball rolling on the FMLA paper work.

May many good things come your way for the kindness you showed me! Xoxo

• Mncteach
    Options

Hug Hugs to you Hope and all our warrior friends! This is a battle and the more we can help and support each other the better

• loiswb
    loiswb Member Posts: 86
    Options

Trying again. My first attempt does not seem to have worked. (I'm not the most computer savvy!). Stumbled upon this site and group the other night. I just had my second round of chemo Thursday. Hasn't been as bad as I expected so far but still no fun. Now my hair is really falling out which is tough. Trying to work (though I took the day after treatment off) and still be there for my three teenage daughters as much as I can. Hoping to offer and receive support as we go through this journey together! 

• Kitkat8074
    Kitkat8074 Member Posts: 47
    Options

hello fellow fighters! I have joined the legion, as well. Started paclitaxel on 2/28/19. It’s a weekly regimen for 12 weeks, then start Doxorubicin & Cyclophosphamide every two weeks for 12 weeks.

No side effects so far with the Paclitaxel, but had a reaction during second round. Burning in chest, hard to breath, joint pain in left hip and lower back. Stopped treatment and was given steroids. Waited 30-45 minutes and started treatment again. All went smooth after that.

Planning on cutting my hair this week in anticipation of losing it. I’ll shave it once it starts thinning and falling out.

I am hopeful the nausea won’t be terrible but am ready when it does hit. Two different meds to take, overlapping if necessary.

I just wanted to reach out and say, WE GOT THIS!! Let’s kick cancers butt!!

• moderators
    moderators Posts: 8,067
    Options

Welcome, Kitkat8074! We're so glad you've joined our community, and we hope you find this to be a place of support as you continue with treatment. Best of luck with the rest of it, we're crossing our fingers for smooth sailing!

The Mods

• Mncteach
    Options

Welcome Lois and KitKat— sorry you are joining our group but glad you are here. Let us know if we can help with anything!

• Notgivingup
    Notgivingup Member Posts: 143
    Options

Good Morning Warriors

I have been laying low since my chemo on 2/21. I haven't been sick, just taking it easy. The only couple of things that knocked me were fainting, hot flashes, and having a gag reflex when eating. My MO knows about the fainting and hot flashes. I will also let her know about the gag reflex that happens when eating normal foods sometimes. I am getting ready for my 2nd round on Thursday. Cleaning the house and getting some foods ready for myself(my family will cook for themselves) in being done today.

I hope everyone is doing well and having little to no se. For those recovering from chemo: rest, drink plenty of water, go for a walk, and rest some more. To those heading to the chair this week, hoping you have no se.

Let's get this chemo done. There is definitely a light at the end of this chemo tunnel!

• Toni_S
    Toni_S Member Posts: 15
    Options

I thought I was doing ok with the side effects until days three and four. I was totally unprepared for how badly chemo kicked my butt. I was flat on my back for four days, could not eat any solid food, and could not get any relief with OTC meds. The anti nausea meds worked somewhat, I was still queasy most of the time. Like the worst flu of my life x 10.

It’s been over a week and I’m just now able to feel somewhat normal. Both my legs are still numb from my feet to my knees, although I think it’s getting better today.

Am I a big wimp or have others had a hard time with side effects? I am on TC and round 2 is next Thursday. I swear I’m having PTSD just thinking about it. I am in total awe of the ladies who are able to go to the gym, or go to work, or just get out of bed during chemo week. What am I doing wrong?

• santabarbarian
    Options

Toni you could give fasting mimicking a try. That helps a lot of people. Search the term on this site and you can find details.

• Pinky24
    Pinky24 Member Posts: 10
    Options

Well I made it through AC #2 last Thursday- only 2 more to go! I worked Friday but spent Saturday and Sunday mostly in bed. Today is pretty much a rest day too, then back to work tomorrow. Strangely, I found that I did not need the nausea meds this round. I took them Friday morning but then fell asleep Friday night without taking them, and decided to just skip them the rest of the weekend. I’ve had some heartburn but really not much nausea. I seriously cannot wait until this is all behind me. I’m really looking forward to doing things other than napping and baths. Hugs and healing to all of you!

• notdefined
    notdefined Member Posts: 267
    Options

I made it through AC no 2 as well.  I definitely felt more nauseous this go around, but it may be related to me not fasting.  I am not good with counting carbs or calories, so I gave myself a break.  I worked from home on day 3, but was definitely not at my top capacity.  Chemo days 1-2, I am mostly sleeping because of the anti-nausea meds.  Day 4 I felt more like myself, and forced myself to work out for 20 minutes.  Up until day 5 (today) I couldn't drink plain water.  I was craving root beer, V8 and Gatorade.  I also found that eating Pho made me feel better yesterday.  

I am now worried if the SE's are going to progressively get worse, or if they will be similar to this time if I don't fast.  I really just felt worse when my stomach was empty. My biggest concern is my liver, so I am trying to proactively eat or drink things that are known to help it. 

Hope you all are doing better with the SE's.  

• laurencl
    Options

Just throwing this out to the group. Has anyone tried anti anxiety medication? The anxiety of this experience and the accompanying life change is at times overwhelming. Just wondering.

Lauren

• tbush
    tbush Member Posts: 3
    Options

Hi, I'm new to the forum. I was recently diagnosed with breast cancer stage 3. I will begin chemo sometime in March. I'm in the process of reaching my doctor to confirm dates. My port was put in on Friday, March 8th. I'm not sure if the doctors are waiting for me to heal before starting treatment but I know the start of chemo is very near. I read an old post about the prep before chemo and I found that helpful. There is so much information that's it's overwhelming, so I've decided to take in what I can and I keep a an open mind.

• laurencl
    Options

Hi tbush!

Welcome! Your port should not take too long to heal. Most of us started the following week and did just fine. Don’t be afraid to follow up with your doctors and check on start dates. They know you want to get going so you can get this over with! This is a very overwhelming time for all of us, but we are all going through it too.

Lauren

• santabarbarian
    Options

Lauren, my MO gave me an Ativan scrip... I never used it because anxiety is not a large issue for me, and I was trying to be gentle on my liver, etc, having to detoxify so much GD chemo. But I assume it was given (without me asking) because so many people do have anxiety or have trouble sleeping. But I know others who found it useful.

• santabarbarian
    Options

Re port, there is a lidocaine cream you can as for that will numb it if the healing is still raw. Not every MO thinks to offer it.

• notdefined
    Options

Laurencl- I was given a prescription for Ativan to deal with anxiety too.  I am keeping it at bay, but it is nice to know I have it in case I need it. My biggest concern with that one is that it can become addictive, and I know I have addictive qualities --if not inherited.  I really have love meditation and have come to rely on that for my nerves.  Do what works best for you.

• Kathy03
    Kathy03 Member Posts: 44
    Options

The first time my port was accessed, it was the day after I got it. The second time was after a 6 week delay between rounds 1 and 2. Both times, I was nervous because it was first too soon, then too long. I had lidocaine cream both times and had NO issues at all, I could barely even feel it!I had assumed that lidocaine was standard protocol, I’d definitely ask about it if your MO doesn’t bring it up.

• HOPE012119
    Options

Hi, Lois, Kitkat, and Tbush! Welcome!

Lauren, I have tons of anxiety. And after the first round I was pretty sad and overwhelmed. I spoke with my MO at the checkup. I had presumed that she would prescribe anti anxiety meds but instead she suggested not fighting it. I found it helpful to hear that it was normal for cancer patients to have these emotions. I also spoke with the social worker at the hospital who was so helpful. She suggested rather than trying to jump back into work I should focus on giving myself some space after coming off the steroids to feel sad and tired instead of pushing myself to return to work. It really helped to talk some things out with her and I can see how meditation and exercise could help with these issues for me. Might try those suggestions someday. I hope you find something that helps yo. Good luck!

Toni, I’m in awe of those ladies that don’t miss a beat too! But I’m not one of them if it makes you feel any better! Hope it gets better!

• Kitkat8074
    Kitkat8074 Member Posts: 47
    Options

Hello Ladies,

Sorry to hear you are having anxiety issues. I did too at first before I started chemo. It’s eased up a lot after my 3rd round of battling Mike Tyson...lol. I have been referring to my current diagnosis as Mike Tyson since I found out I was going to have to have chemo. My first BC was so easy, I call it Little Bo Peep 😁

3rd round went well. Double up on benydral and steroids to counteract reactions. Started chemo meds slow and progressed to full on. No reactions and no side effects so far. I know that will change as I get further into this 6 month fight with Mike Tyson but happy for now that I have t had to change my daily life.

I go to work after treatment and rest on the weekends. Drink plenty of fluids, eat smaller meals more often to avoid that achy stomach feeling. Last night was my first bought of insomnia. I’ve been up since 2:30a and haven’t been able to sleep. Will discuss with MO at next appointment.

Still have my hair but appointment to cut it really short on Monday. It’s the only thing I feel I have control over right now.

Ladies, chemo is hard but won’t last forever! Think of all the positives you have in life, be grateful for family and friends who are there to support you through this journey. My journey has just started and a lot of you are further along than I am. Being positive beats the alternative, giving in to cancer.

My biggest fear is the unkown of after chemo. I will need a double mastectomy but unsure, at this time, as to which procedure will be best for me. I will meet with surgeon later in the year, after chemo, to discuss.

I am wishing you all soeedy recoveries after each round and praying for you all

• Gonnabeatthis
    Gonnabeatthis Member Posts: 57
    Options

Round 2 was Tuesday. Side effects kicked my butt! Felt okay on Wednesday, but by Thursday night I was wasted. Friday and today have been horrible as well. I think I’m finally turning the corner but it has been terrible, nausea, vomiting. constipation. A few times I almost passed out. Basically a wet rag on my forehead most of the time. Not much of an appetite but when I do eat I get terrible stomach pains. I’m hoping tomorrow is better. This was way worse than last time.

• loiswb
    loiswb Member Posts: 86
    Options

Hello, everyone. Hugs to all struggling with side effects. . Had Round 2 AC last Thursday (3/7). I feel the worst on Saturday. Just wiped out and don't want to move from the couch.. Poor appetite, poor taste, and had some weird diarrhea for 24 hours (not sure if it was from chemo or a random bug). Hair really started coming out on Friday or so, and have been wearing head covered since Tuesday. Had head shaved on Thursday and it is so much easier than hair everywhere all the time. Friday my coworkers had a "hat party" for me! I have so many different ones now. I also bought a wig. Not  planning to wear it a lot but wanted the option. My 14 yo daughter has a few milestone things this spring and I mostly got it for those so that I can look more normal in pictures. I will do AC round 3 this coming Thursday. 

• LizzieAG
    LizzieAG Member Posts: 32
    Options

Hi everyone,

Loiswb thanks for the update... I am right behind you. Had my first AC yesterday (3/15). Day 1-2 was ok, I’m flushed and a bit queasy at times but so far nausea meds keeping me ok... I am scared for what tomorrow will being, and anticipating and dreading the hair to start coming out. I have an appointment to shave it and get my wig fitted on about day 12, so before my second treatment. Also got my neuralsta shot inserted and went off today so dreading those side effects! Hope everyone is feeling well

• notdefined
    Options

I was wondering if those of you doing adjuvant chemo and on AC have plans with your MO at some point to check to see if the chemo is working?  I talked to my new MO, and he pretty much said they don't do any scans until the full regimen is completed?