Fill Out Your Profile to share more about you. Learn more...

20 years old and scared...

Options
2»

Comments

• ella111
    ella111 Member Posts: 11
    edited March 2019
    Options

Thank you everyone!! Your support and kind words have helped me so much through this process☺

• purplecat
    purplecat Member Posts: 226
    edited March 2019
    Options

I'm so glad the first one was benign! Please keep us posted on the 2nd one.

• ella111
    ella111 Member Posts: 11
    edited March 2019
    Options

Hello!! I'm back again! Quick question:

My lumpectomy is scheduled for April 22nd, and I was told by my doctor I can chose between general anesthesia or local anesthetics with sedation. I usually try to avoid general anesthesia when possible- but I'd rather not be super uncomfortable or in pain during the procedure either.

Anyone have experiance with a lumpectomy without general anesthesia? I'm sure the sedation will have me pretty out of it anyways. Thinking it'll probably be perfectly fine- but just wanted to see if anyone has had a different experiance.

• KBeee
    KBeee Member Posts: 695
    edited March 2019
    Options

I did not have my lumpectomy with that sedation (because it was not offered....I would have chosen that if I had an option), but I did have a few other minor surgeries that way and I prefer it because you bounce back much faster mentally. With general, I am groggy for a week!

• jkl2017
    jkl2017 Member Posts: 279
    edited January 2020
    Options

Ella, I had my first lumpectomy (years ago) with what my doctor referred to as “milk of amnesia" & it was a breeze. I could feel enough to know where the surgeon was working but there was absolutely no pain or discomfort. Recovery was quick and easy plus there's no possibility of the nausea, etc that can result from sedation. Do whatever makes you feel more comfortable but don't fear having the general!

• santabarbarian
    santabarbarian Member Posts: 2,310
    edited March 2019
    Options

Talk to the anesthesiologist. Certain drugs are better or worse for safety, and they can lay out advantages and disadvantages.

• salamandra
    salamandra Member Posts: 736
    edited March 2019
    Options

I had my lumpectomy with sedation. It wasn't presented to me as a choice, just what the anesthesiologist explained the morning of the surgery.

I didn't have any discomfort or pain, it was fine. Never had general anesthesia so I can't really compare.