Come join others currently navigating treatment in our weekly Zoom Meetup! Register here: Tuesdays, 1pm ET.
Fill Out Your Profile to share more about you. Learn more...

Radiation April 2019

Options

Comments

• Freebee
    Freebee Member Posts: 58
    edited May 2019
    Options

I sleep when and wherever I can. Min 10 hours at night plus naps sometimes in the day.

I read that the post-rad fatigue continues for up to 4 weeks after treaand in some cases three months. End of summer (or sooner) we’ll be good as new!

• Carpediem56
    Carpediem56 Member Posts: 35
    edited May 2019
    Options

Anyone know if radiation an lead to skin cancer?

• piperkay
    piperkay Member Posts: 132
    edited May 2019
    Options

Greetings on Memorial Day, everyone!

I am 6 days out after 20 treatments, and although I am very dark red under my arm and somewhat less dark red on the breast, I am not peeling or having other adverse reaction besides a little bit of itching. Fingers crossed, I think I'm doing pretty good so far...

Good luck to those still going. Stay strong and stay hydrated!

• garnersuz77
    garnersuz77 Member Posts: 36
    edited May 2019
    Options

Hey carpediem! I have had 2 early stage melanomas so met with my derm to discuss skin cancer risk prior to starting radiation. She said no risk for melanoma but a risk for basal-cell (highly curable) 10-20 years down the road.

• jag51
    jag51 Member Posts: 10
    edited May 2019
    Options

Hello Ladies: I have completed week 1 of a 6 week round of rads. I also have male techs, they are very professional, though. At first I thought it was odd, I was wondering why are there so many MEN?? I don't likenot being allowed to shave, it makes me feel dirty somehow...

But I am wondering: Last month I had a bad cold right around April 18or so. I can feel another one coming on, barely a month after! Is there any evidence that radiation therapy can weaken the immune system?? A long shot, but just thought I'd ask.

• jessie123
    jessie123 Member Posts: 134
    edited May 2019
    Options

PiperKay --- you are having the same experience as I had -- no peeling or sores. I kept waiting, but luckily they never came. We made it through !!!!! My worst side effect was fatigue after the second week and for about two weeks after completion. I think it's going away now.

• Pommom1809
    Pommom1809 Member Posts: 161
    edited May 2019
    Options

I will see the radiation doctor this coming Friday. What happens at the first meeting with the doctor?

Doris

• Fritzmylove
    Fritzmylove Member Posts: 262
    edited May 2019
    Options

jag51, I wasn’t told that radiation affects the immune system by my RO, but since starting rads I’ve had the worst sore throat and cold I’ve had in a long time, and I developed SHINGLES. Yes, shingles. Right under my eye. My MO says it developed because of stress and all the cancer treatment I’ve been through since October of last year.

Doris, welcome to the radiation group!! Always good to see familiar names from our chemo month. My first appointment with my RO he went over how many treatments, the short term and long term SEs, and he looked at my breasts to make sure I wasn’t going to have to remove any of the saline from my tissue expanders to get clear access with the radiation machine. He also checked my range of motion and wrote a prescription for PT since I was only a few weeks out of surgery. My RO’s nurse was the one that really took the time after the appointment to go over exactly what to expect during treatment and how to care for my skin.

26/33 tomorrow, and over the weekend my skin under my arm started to blister. I hope it won’t cause any delays to treatment. It is pretty painful when I reach up, so having my arms above my head the last few treatments won’t be fun. Luckily I only have 3 more to the axilla, so that skin will be done soon. Then I’ll have 5 boosts to the mastectomy scar. My chest and breast are barely pink right now, so I hope it doesn’t get as bad as my underarm.

• annie60
    annie60 Member Posts: 295
    edited May 2019
    Options

Having my first radiation tomorrow. I dread it. I am having skin issues - itching from my head to my lower back. How am I going to stay still when it feels like ants are crawling on me?

Annie

• cassiecanada
    cassiecanada Member Posts: 101
    edited May 2019
    Options

Hi Annie- what is itch from?’

I recently finished radiation- and it

was really no issue at all- alot

depends on dose- how many grays total

are you receiving and what will be your

daily dose

• annie60
    annie60 Member Posts: 295
    edited May 2019
    Options

I'm not sure what the itch is coming from. My husband says my skin ( back and top of my head) are red - like a slight sunburn. I have 33 rads to do. I will talk to someone before we start tomorrow.

• Pommom1809
    Pommom1809 Member Posts: 161
    edited May 2019
    Options

Well, my breasts are already gone! They will be radiating my left breast so I will have to hold my breath during to protect my heart.

I thought I was done, then they dropped the radiation bomb on me. I was not happy to say the least

• Freebee
    edited May 2019
    Options

Hi Ladies,

I am 3 weeks out from 20 sessions. I had a terrible time and really did not want to go through with the ordeal in the first place. But I did. The healing is really, really fast. The radiated breast still feels a bit sensitive, but the skin is pink and healthy. So glad that’s over and done!

• Freebee
    edited May 2019
    Options

pommom - sorry to hear about the bombshell. I too had to hold my breath. I would often get dizzy toward the end of the session and would take my time getting up. The sessions were short thankfully - around15 min.

• Aadetoyin
    Aadetoyin Member Posts: 3
    edited May 2019
    Options

@Fritzmylove... pls what did you use for your sore throat. My throat is terribly sore that I can only take fluids. Even taking the fluids is so much hard work. Pls hel

• RosieRed
    RosieRed Member Posts: 209
    edited May 2019
    Options

pommom - same here. Originally thought I had to do chemo and surgery. At one of my last appointments with MO during chemo is when he sprung it on me that I might need radiation. After my BMX I met with the RO who recommended 28 rads. I was disappointed, but trudged through it. I am now 14 days post rads.

I also had radiation on my left side, but luckily didn't need to hold my breath.

• Fritzmylove
    edited May 2019
    Options

Aadetoyin, I didn’t take anything. Just soldiered through it. I did keep some cough drops with menthol by my bed to help me get to sleep. It cleared up in about 3 days. Hope yours goes away soon!

My RO prescribed Silvadene for the burns under my arm. You’re supposed to really cake it on, so I’m probably going to ruin a bunch of shirts until I heal. Guess I’ll be celebrating completing treatment by shopping for new tops! By this time tomorrow I’ll be done with regular rads, and will just have the 5 boosts to get through!

• ItsHandled444
    ItsHandled444 Member Posts: 41
    edited May 2019
    Options

So excited, last day of radiation today! 30 with 5 boosts, peeling and raw under my arm and boob but whatever it takes, right? My team was amazing, I told them I would miss seeing them every morning but not the radiation of course :) I got a little emotional and thanked them for what they do cause it's a really important job they have.

Hugs to everyone that has finished and those that are just starting!

• RosieRed
    edited May 2019
    Options

Yay, itshandled444!! Now let the healing begin!!!

• Cin17
    Cin17 Member Posts: 41
    edited June 2019
    Options

Finished number 19 of 25 yesterday. I'm burned and peeling. Mostly in the bolus area across my breast and underarm. But also up on my breastbone and neck which is not as red but terribly itchy. Very painful. Yes, the back of my shoulder is red too, like a mild sunburn for now. I spend afternoons lying in bed with my top off for relief. Does anyone have a recommendation for a dressing to use? No silvadene cream… yet. I didn't realize it ruins clothing. :(

• Cin17
    edited June 2019
    Options

Congratulations, ItsHandled444! Wishing you quick and complete healing.

• ItsHandled444
    edited June 2019
    Options

Cin17, I wear men's large black pocket T's with Aquaphor and a really thin piece of gauze and it works great. Not sure why but the Aquaphor does not go through the T-shirt as much it does on my other shirts, probably because they are a thick material. I know the gauze absorbs the lotions but if I leave the gauze on the skin still gets the lotion. Someone recommended plastic wrap but it stung as soon as I out it on so didn't work fer me.
    Hugs!

• jessie123
    jessie123 Member Posts: 134
    edited June 2019
    Options

Cin17 -- I also used Aquaphor -- just at night. It worked well. I did put a warm wash cloth on my breast before the Aquaphor to help with moisture.

• Cin17
    edited June 2019
    Options

Four more to go. They stopped using the bolus today, thank heavens. I noticed that I'm starting to bleed in places. Assuming this is “normal"?

• santabarbarian
    santabarbarian Member Posts: 2,310
    edited June 2019
    Options

Sadly, yes. Silvadene is good to glob on the places that are raw.

• ItsHandled444
    edited June 2019
    Options

1 week post rads and healing very well. No more raw skin! Continuing Aquaphor for the peeling and dry skin. Last few days random stabbing pain feels intensified, not sure if it's still surgery related, radiiation or both? How is everyone doing?

• RosieRed
    edited June 2019
    Options

itshandled444 - I’m glad that you are doing well. Keep on moisturizing!

I’m 3 weeks post rad and I’m amazed how good I look now. New healthy skin has replaced the red and peeling skin. I now look like I have a slight tan where the radiation was aimed. Still a little peeling left. I’m using Miaderm a couple times a day.

• Fritzmylove
    edited June 2019
    Options

Well, I'm done. The kids and I brought in a cookie cake for the team, and they each drew a pictures for them. We also brought 2 giant bags of candy for the receptionist who has been so sweet to the kids. She always has a bowl of candy on her desk for all the cancer patients, so we set her up for the next few weeks. My heart was pounding during treatment today for some reason. Probably because I'm more nervous than happy about being done with active treatment. Though my RO says the hormone therapy is still very good active treatment so that makes me feel a bit better. My chest is very red and itchy, but not painful, and my armpit is peeling a ton, and very tight feeling. I was all excited to finally have a day off tomorrow after 7 weeks of going to the hospital every day, but of course I got a text reminder that I have a follow-up appt with my BS. The life of a cancer patient.

• RosieRed
    edited June 2019
    Options

Yay, Fritz! Congrats on finishing rads. Enjoy your weekend

• edj3
    edj3 Member Posts: 1,579
    edited June 2019
    Options

Hurrah! So glad you're done :)