Fill Out Your Profile to share more about you. Learn more...

Did you know this about where ILC recurs?

Options
2»

Comments

• ShetlandPony
    ShetlandPony Member Posts: 3,063
    Options

Faith, regarding which one trumps when you have both ILC and IDC — I remember one of the medical professionals who spoke at the first ILC Symosium in Pittsburgh said that with both, he would monitor/treat as ILC. I imagine that is because ILC may be more picky about treatment and can met to the usual places plus others.

• mavericksmom
    mavericksmom Member Posts: 1,147
    Options

Thank you Robinblessed!  I needed to hear that! ((((cyber hug)))) to all of you!

• meow13
    meow13 Member Posts: 1,363
    Options

Shetland, good to know I think I was given AI drugs mainly because I was menopausal also because I had 1 tumor ILC. My oncologist said his biggest concern was my pr being 0%. My er was 95%.

• rrshannon
    rrshannon Member Posts: 59
    Options

Interesting read. My first BC 15 years ago was ILC and I also had GI issues I had a precancerous polyp removed 3 years ago. I am now past do for my colonoscopy as they wouldn't let me do it during my chemo for my current IDC. Hoping to recover from my recent surgeries soon so that I can get my colonoscopy done. Also interesting to note I had precancer removed from endometrium and fallopian tube during my hysterectomy.

• ShetlandPony
    ShetlandPony Member Posts: 3,063
    Options

Rrshannon, with that history I would ask for a broad cancer panel of genetic testing, beyond just BRCA, one that includes Lynch genes among others.

Meow, I agree that an aromatase inhibitor was a good choice for you. Not only because it was ILC, but because negative PR can suggest resistance to Tamoxifen.

• mavericksmom
    Options

I had the entire fat pad removed due to a failed sentinel node biopsy when I was first diagnosed with breast cancer.

My question is, with my recent recurrence 15 years after first DX, what is my node status? None were removed this time because the whole pad was already removed

• meow13
    Options

Did they say what happened? Why did the biopsy fail?

• mavericksmom
    Options

hi Meow!  I don't know why it failed.  My breast surgeon never once told me that it could fail. That was in 2003. I had a 1 cm IDC.  Sentinel node biopsy was rather new at the time and when it failed, for whatever reason, my breast surgeon reverted to the gold standard which was removal of the entire fat pad. Mine contained 24 nodes.  I immediately got lymphedema in my left arm.

My medical oncologist at the time, whom I really liked, told me that when the pathologist removes the fat pad, they just cut the many nodes in half and check for cancer.  He said there is a much more thorough examination of sentinel nodes because there are only a few to look at. He told me that even though my nodes were found by the pathologist to be negative, that cancer could have been present but missed.

From what I read since, the hardness of the lymph node, makes me think that a pathologist has a suspicion even before examining the sample whether or not it is cancerous. Even so, they can't be sure until they look at it under a microscope. Again, that is just my feeling, I don't really know.  2003, while almost 20 years ago, seems like a life time ago.  So much has changed.  I had chemo because I was pre menopausal at the time and my cancer was a cm.  Back then, there was no OncotypeDx test. If the tumor was over a cm they recommended chemo.

Again, I am annoyed at my BS that did my recent mastectomy because when I asked the question about my node status, he just said to be sure to tell my MO that no nodes were removed. I only saw my MO once so far, but will see her again in June.  I don't remember if I even mentioned that to her. Since I went to a cancer hospital, not just a hospital with a cancer unit, I thought things like that would be in my report and that they would be highlighted somehow for the other doctors in the team to be aware of.  I guess I expected too much.

I am cancelling my appointment in July with the BS because, while he is a top rated surgeon and very nice to talk to, he completely dismissed my desire for a bilateral mastectomy and I felt pressured by him to do things his way.  Also, I know when I had breast cancer the first time I only had to follow up with either the MO or BS, not both.  I really like my MO even though I only saw her once so far, and I am still doing follow ups with my PS, or should I say, the PA from that dept. I don't know how much longer he will want to see me for follow up visits, but since I had problems with wound healing, I will keep seeing him until I am completely healed.

Again, I know there are other nodes in the area of the breast, but I don't know where the cancer would travel if there were no nodes in the arm pit?

The first time I had IDC, this time it was ILC and while not a lot larger, only 1.4cm, I am more concerned this time. They also found areas of LCIS in the mastectomy tissues. 

• meow13
    Options

Good for you, the choice should be yours not the BS. I am sorry to hear about the entire fat pad being removed especially when there was no cancer. It might be possible to have lymph node transplant surgery to correct any lymphedema. Not sure I completely trust any of my doctors. I am happy that I didn't have any complications. The only thing I might do differently if I could go back is taking the AI drugs.

• mavericksmom
    Options

I agree Meow, I too wish I had taken Tamoxifen that was offered to me in 2003*. That said, my BS in 2003 kept making a big deal about my tumor being so tiny. She kind of mocked me for having chemo because it was just 1 cm, but the MO had reasons to believe I should have it, and they made perfect sense to me

I’m actually glad you said you aren’t sure you trust your doctors because sometimes I wonder what is wrong with me that I feel that way about my BS.

• meow13
    Options

Always good to get another opinion.

• Texas357
    Texas357 Member Posts: 332
    Options

I lost confidence in two MOs, but loved my BS.

First MO was not interested in discussing any lifestyle or diet advice I had read on the American Cancer Society websites. He also didn't read my chart carefully before my visits.

Second MO was insisting on my getting annual chest x-rays just to monitor, even though that's not the recommended protocol and ILC is not as likely to recur in the lungs first. In fact, she's never discussed any of the information I found about ILC, which prompted me to start this thread. I had to find it on my own.

Twice, I've gotten one-size-fits-all approaches by my MOs. I just switched to MD Anderson's survivorship program. But we have to be our own advocates and continue to educate ourselves.

• robinblessed54
    robinblessed54 Member Posts: 485
    Options

Ladies, unfortunately ILC doesn’t get the funding it needs because it fades into the background with IDC. It is sneaky and is missed so often. Mine never showed on a mammo and a miracle of God was, I felt it! That just doesn’t happen normally. The radiologist said she couldn’t believe I felt it. I chose the BMX for that reason, get this stuff out of me and anything that could get it!

I have IBS-C and polyps so the intestinal aspect makes me nervous. Keep being vigilant and get the care we all deserve.

Robin

• mavericksmom
    Options

I have been on Femara one month, so far so good!Smile

Anyone know what kind of testing is appropriate for ILC?  I know mammogram, assuming  ultrasound too.  I can't have a breast MRI.  Kind of concerned that my "virtual colonoscopy," which is a special CT scan of the colon with same awful prep, showed two hazy areas in my mesentery.  Hope that isn't mets. I am going to ask my MO in June.

• BevJen
    BevJen Member Posts: 2,341
    Options

I'm not positive that the docs even know what tests are best for ILC -- or whether all radiologists even focus on the fact that ILC is sneaky and can image differently. Recently, I have had CT scans and nuclear full body bone scans; PET/CT scans (recommended by a doc at MD Anderson); and an abdominal MRI. The clearest for ILC mets was apparently the abdominal MRI with contrast -- some stuff showed up on that that had not shown up on the other tests, or that showed up more like "shadows" on the other tests. Not sure that any of them clearly show ILC that well. If anyone has any other ideas on scans, I'd like to hear them as well.

• mavericksmom
    Options

I have an appointment with my MO in June. I would like to go to it with a list of important questions and the one that concerns me the most is recurrence in the intestines and mesentery and how to screen for that other than colonoscopy.

Also, my ILC was not seen on my mammogram, only as an area of suspicion on ultrasound. I really want yearly ultrasounds of my right breast. I can’t have a breast MRI. It’s frustrating not to have standard routine testing specifically for lobular cancer.

• Cin17
    Cin17 Member Posts: 41
    Options

I met the radiologist who caught the ILC in my right breast when I had an ultrasound on my healthy left breast a couple weeks ago. She was surprised to find out it was cancerous, had thought it would be benign but was doing due diligence when she flagged it. Thank heavens!

Thank you for sharing the OP link, this is great information. Now, just need to find a way to spur more research into ILC

• GlobalGal
    GlobalGal Member Posts: 29
    Options

How about ILC in the neck lymph nodes and nowhere else?

Imagine my ENT surgeon's surprise at finding de novo metastatic breast breast cancer in my neck's 3 central lymph nodes following a complete thyroidectomy for papillary thyroid cancer (3/20/19). 

Since then, however, I've had no other diagnostic confirmation of breast cancer (PET scan, breast CT, MRI-guided breast biopsy, breast ultrasounds, 12 years of annual mammograms). Due to a scarcity of surgical lymph node tissue, only basic tests were run (no FISH or mutations identified); it "appears" to be lobular on the pathology report (which has been reviewed by several pathologists).

None of the doctors at our HMOs breast cancer center have ever seen this kind of presentation, nor have their colleagues consulted at larger cancer programs. 

So far, I am a "diagnostic enigma".

GlobalGal

Dx 3/2019, de novo stage IV metastatic
    breast cancer with metastases to 3 central lymph nodes in neck following
    complete thyroidectomy for papillary thyroid cancer WITH NO PRIMARY BREAST
    CANCER IDENTIFIED (so far) and NO OTHER METS (so far); diagnosed at age 65

ER+ (88%), PGR+(2%), HER2-equivocal (not enough remaining surgical
    lymph node tissue for FISH or mutations testing), KI67 borderline (15%)
    Type of Breast Cancer: "Possibly lobular" (ILC)

Surgery: None

Radiation Therapy: None

Chemotherapy: None

Targeted Therapy: None

Hormonal Therapy: 6/03/19 Anastrozole

Other Cancer Treatment: Radioiodine Treatment (RAI) for
    papillary thyroid cancer scheduled for June 19, 2019

Other Diagnosis: Severe osteoporosis prior to cancer diagnosis (treated
    with one-time Reclast infusion in 2017; improved bone status to osteopenia on
    12/18 bone scan)

• jessie123
    jessie123 Member Posts: 134
    Options

GlobalGal --- Oh, that is just terrible -- so scary!. I'm going to take your post to my surgeon when I see her on Tuesday. She performs just endocrine and breast surgery -- so has done many thyroid surgeries. She's at a teaching hospital and has been involved in clinical trials. I'll let you know what she says.

• GlobalGal
    GlobalGal Member Posts: 29
    Options

Thank you, Jessie! I would be very interested to hear what your surgeon has to say.

Kind regards,

GlobalGal

• jessie123
    jessie123 Member Posts: 134
    Options

GlobalGal -- I am so, so, so sorry -- I forgot to take your post to my surgeon. I had it out, but I get so nervous before visits I just forgot to put it into my purse. I'll see her again in mid July so will put the post into my car now so I won't forget it.

• robinblessed54
    Options

General question: I just got my results of my CA15-3 test. Had it 6 months ago and going in for MO appt in July. Mine keeps creeping up every time. I have gone from 20.6, 21.6 and now 22.9. I know I am within the range, but as you all know, you can't let it go sometimes. Sad

As we have all been discussing, I have intestinal problems and have had 7 pre-cancerous polyps removed 2 years ago. My MO says I worry too much. Well, I don't think she has walked in any of our shoes. :( Can any of you tell me what your scores are and how your MO handles it? I also have Monoclonal Gammopathy and have all kinds of tests for that every 6 months too. Oh the joy of cancer, the gift that keeps on giving.

Thanks,

Robin

• mtks
    mtks Member Posts: 61
    Options

I’m not sure where to post so I came here for direction and support.

I have had a bilateral mastectomy with reconstruction in 2010. 9 years ago.. In February of this year I felt in the shower a lump in my right breast area, by the top/sideof implant-close to pec muscle. Prior to this I have been so tired with some bone and muscle pain in my lower legs, mainly left. Then gradually other breast area, groin and neck. My oncologist ran a blood serum test-ANA MULTIPLEX W/REFLEX 11 AB CASCADE. ANA CHOICE (R) SCREEN POSITIVE. DNA (DS) ANTIBODY 52H He said i needed to see a Rheumatologist. After educating myself on this blood work, i find that some cancers are a result of this test. He insists to have rheumatologist check it out first. I have these symptoms: Very tired!, cough,generalized lymph node swelling, nausea, bone pain (NOT JOINT PAIN), headaches during the night that are similar to a BAD hangover with throat and neck pain, sweating at night, and now pain in my rib and above naval area. I sound like a mess. Anyone have any thoughts for me or experiencing similar issue

• light1candle
    light1candle Member Posts: 5
    Options

Hi mtks So sorry that you are feeling so bad right now. You are doing the absolute right thing getting that new lump checked out. I think you must be asking if your systemic symptoms may be related to a recurrence or spread of cancer and I have no answers for that. I do think your doc was right to refer you to a rheumatologist, however. As a lupus patient I know that a positive antinuclear antibody test (ANA test) is a common finding in many autoimmune illnesses, but can also appear in people without these diseases. But the fact that you had positive anti double-stranded DNA antibodies is even more telling - many lupus patients have these particular auto-antibodies and few people without autoimmune disease have them. Lupus and similar autoimmune disorders can cause many of the systemic symptoms that you describe so I think a consultation with a rheumatologist is likely a good idea. Also, you mentioned that you had implants? I am no expert on this, but I have read that some women experience autoimmune problems from their body's reaction to their implants.

• windingshores
    windingshores Member Posts: 160
    Options

I had an autoimmune reaction to my breast cancer, which is extremely rare and called "paraneoplastic syndrome." However, I already had a diagnosis of lupus. I would see a rheumatologist but docs should also be aware that an immune system with a predisposition to attacking itself, can react to cancer with elevated autoimmunity. The anti-DNA is much more significant than the ANA and is almost always associated with lupus, as far as I know.

• mtks
    mtks Member Posts: 61
    Options

Hi, Rheumatologist ruled out autoimmune diseases and sent me back to oncologist.. just wish i knew what test to ask for,,my oncologist uses the CEA tumor marker instead of the 15-3??what marker test does anyone’s dr use when ordering labs? Exhausted! Uf

• robinblessed54
    Options

My MO yses CA15-3