Fill Out Your Profile to share more about you. Learn more...

BiRads 5–could this be anything besides cancer?

Options
melmatt
melmatt Member Posts: 18
edited November 2019 in Waiting for Test Results

Just had a biopsy this morning. Radiology report says, “hypoechoic shadowing mass with spiculated/irregular margins, measuring approximately 8x5x7 mm”. It’s Bi-RADS 5. I’m 53. Radiologist thinks it’s cancer. Is there anything else it could be?

Thank you in advance for the help and support. This is absolutely terrifying

Comments

• melmatt
    edited April 2019
    Options

Forgot to add that I had a regular screening mammogram in August that showed nothing

• hapa
    hapa Member Posts: 613
    edited April 2019
    Options

Bi-rads 5s turn out to be cancer about 95% of the time. Hopefully it's nothing but you should prepare yourself for bad news. When do you get your biopsy results?

• ingerp
    ingerp Member Posts: 1,514
    edited April 2019
    Options

Try to stay calm but prepare yourself for a diagnosis. BC is very treatable, particularly when caught as early as yours. Take deep breaths, distract yourself while waiting for appointments, and know there is lots of sympathy/hand-holding on this site.

• melmatt
    edited April 2019
    Options

thank you—the waiting is awful. I’m supposed to get results on Thursday

• beesy_the_other_one
    beesy_the_other_one Member Posts: 170
    edited April 2019
    Options

Melmatt, you'll read it over and over, but you really are in the worst part--waiting. We are not just saying this! My radiologist did everything but use the word cancer to prepare me, and I was so grateful (I've often thought about going back to thank her and need to make the time). In my experience, most radiologists shy away from being so honest, and I understand why, but in a way, yours might have been helping you as mine did. Let us know when you hear.

• melmatt
    edited April 2019
    Options

Thanks Beesy—I agree, I’d much rather he be honest with me. I will definitely keep you guys posted. I feel like I am just floundering around trying to find something else that it might be, but it doesntsound likely. You guys are a great comfort. Just knowing that other people know exactly how I feel is a relief!

• moderators
    moderators Posts: 7,943
    edited April 2019
    Options

Hi MelMatt and welcome to Breastcancer.org,

We're so sorry you find yourself here, worrying, but we're really glad you've found us. As you can already see, our Community is an amazing source of information, advice, and support -- we're all here for you!

We're sending good thoughts for benign biopsy results, but know we are here for you no matter what! Please keep us posted with what you find out.

--The Mods

• melmatt
    edited April 2019
    Options

Thank you

• melmatt
    edited April 2019
    Options

You are all making me feel so much better already!Smile

• marie5890
    marie5890 Member Posts: 111
    edited April 2019
    Options

Melmatt,

Yes, this is the worse part. The waiting. Like other have said, prepare yourself for bad news, BUT know. It is treatable. To answer your question "can it be something else with a BIRAD5. The answer is, yes, there are a few other things that will mimic cancer on a mammo. We have seen that happen here on occasion (ie radial scar, fat necrosis,), but usually, it is cancer.

KEEP BREATHING. DONT DO any googling until you have more information. If you need to talk or vent or express fears, concerns etc., do it here, where the ladies can help you.

If you are the kind of person who would find it helpful to do *something* to feel a sense of control, here is a link to another part of the forum that will give you some practical advice on things you can do to prepare for what may lie ahead.

It's called "Just diagnosed-Get prepared"

• melmatt
    edited April 2019
    Options

Thanks Marie—it is soooo hard to stay off of google! The link you sent will be a much better use of my time—thank you so much. You guys are amazing!,Heart

• dani444
    dani444 Member Posts: 215
    edited May 2019
    Options

It really is hard to stay off google, but until you know the answers it may just lead to more anxiety. I completely understand the need to seek out answers! I too had a BIRADS 5 and I was just ready to get the call with the news over with! As everyone else has said the waiting really does suck. It gets easier when you can have a plan of action and know what you are dealing with. I wish you the best , I am sending you good thoughts as you wait.

• melmatt
    edited May 2019
    Options

Thanks Dani—I think at this point I’ll feel better when the waiting is over, no matter what the results! Told my husband I wish I could go to sleep now and wake up 5 minutes before they call on Thursday

• rrobin0200
    rrobin0200 Member Posts: 80
    edited May 2019
    Options

I totally agree, beesy. Although my Birads was a 4, my radiologist definitely prepared me. She said she was 90% sure it was something. I hated her at the time. Looking back, I hatedher bc I didn't like what she had to say. And hate is such a strong word. Now I love her.. her honesty, in retrospect, got me through it. I wrote her a thank you letter!

Melmatt, Birads 5 is definitely scary.. but.. I have seen a few on this board that have come back saying their Birads 5 was NOT cancer. It's slim, but it has happened.

We are here for you.

• alicebastable
    alicebastable Member Posts: 1,940
    edited May 2019
    Options

Well, my Birads was a 6. I was glad to know right off the bat. Maybe it's why I never got emotional about it, since I could get right into appointments and planning.

• dogmomrunner
    dogmomrunner Member Posts: 492
    edited May 2019
    Options

Hi Melmatt - I also had a Birads score of 5. I was officially diagnosed on April 24th with IDC/DCIS. It's still hard to wrap my head around this. But this board is very supportive and informative and BC is treatable. You will get through this. You are strong, you are invincible.

• melmatt
    edited May 2019
    Options

thank you—I really needed the boost that your reply gave me today. I was diagnosed with Invasive Lobular Carcinoma and LCIS. Grade 2 but won’t know stage until surgery. ER/PR +/HER2-. The waiting is by far the worst part so far. Still trying to process it all—thank you SO much for the encouragement—it came at the perfect time Heart

• Ladyofthelake
    Ladyofthelake Member Posts: 13
    edited May 2019
    Options

Sorry to hear you got the dreaded diagnosis. Hoping it's still in the early stages for you. I remember I had a BiRads score of 4 and the radiologist told me there were two areas she wanted to biopsy. Then she said even if the path report came back normal, she would order an MRI just to be sure. That pretty much told me she didn't think they would come back normal. While she didn't tell me outright she thought it was cancer, it helped me be more prepared for the bad news.

• dogmomrunner
    dogmomrunner Member Posts: 492
    edited May 2019
    Options

I'm sorry to hear that it came back as BC. It's hard to hear those words. As others have posted though, now you can focus on treatment. You have a goal. Have a glass of wine, a beer or an ice cream sundae. Treat yourself nice and prepare to do battle! Headphones Insert "Rocky" theme music

• lumpynurse80
    lumpynurse80 Member Posts: 1
    edited November 2019
    Options

I'm 39 years old and I went for an annual mammogram September 24th, by lunch they were calling to tell me that they had found something that needed further imaging. I went the following day for a 3D mammogram on my left breast followed by a an ultrasound. I have a nodule with spiculated borders on the posterior side of my breast at the 1 to 2 o'clock position, BiRAD score of 5. 30 minutes after the ultrasound they were calling to tell me that I needed to see a surgeon. The first surgeon I saw came in the room and the first thing he said was "You're gonna have a large scar. I have to make a large incision, there's nothing I can do about it." After leaving that appointment, which after waiting for over an hour he was with me for 5 minutes, I called my friend who is the department manager of the general surgery unit. I asked her who she would recommend and so I made an appointment with him. After seeing the 2nd surgeon who specializes in breast cancer, he said that he felt that they could do the biopsy with a needle either ultrasound or mammogram guided. So I go Wednesday for a repeat 3D mammogram and an ultrasound on the left breast followed by a biopsy. Its been 6 weeks since my original mammogram. I'm anxious and even though I am a nurse and I know what my treatment will entail I'm scared. I have 2 daughters that are 8 and 17. I need to be here for the long run with them. And if it is cancer, how do I tell my 8 year old without destroying her innocence. She still believes in Santa and she asked him for magical ice powers like Elsa for Christmas. I don't know how to explain it to her without scaring her. At this point she doesn't know anything. My 17 year old knows and she's old enough to understand. I'm hoping that Wednesday will be successful and that I can get a definite diagnosis quickly. The not knowing is driving me crazy.