Fill Out Your Profile to share more about you. Learn more...

Axillary Lymph Node Dissection Dissection

Options
2»

Comments

• JanetMara
    JanetMara Member Posts: 147
    Options

I had 5 LYMPH NODES involved which were resolved after CHEMO but still my SURGEON did an ALND and after I recovered from surgery,she referred me to a PHYSICAL THERAPIST who had training in LYMPHEDEMA TREATMENT,composed of gentle rubbing/massage from tips of fingers down to the axilla and the other arm even if it didn't have surgery,from the tummy towards the heart and so far Thanks God,I don't have any lymphedema on L arm. I notice a slight swelling of the axilla only when I wear a prosthesis and a mastectomy bra,most of the time I do not wear one to avoid it. I try not to lift stuff with my L arm just to protect it.At times,the left arm/shoulder is tight but I just had to do exercises to loosen it up.

• JanetMara
    Options

I had 5 LYMPH NODES involved which were resolved after CHEMO but still my SURGEON did an ALND and after I recovered from surgery,she referred me to a PHYSICAL THERAPIST who had training in LYMPHEDEMA TREATMENT,composed of gentle rubbing/massage from tips of fingers down to the axilla and the other arm even if it didn't have surgery,from the tummy towards the heart and so far Thanks God,I don't have any lymphedema on L arm. I notice a slight swelling of the axilla only when I wear a prosthesis and a mastectomy bra,most of the time I do not wear one to avoid it. I try not to lift stuff with my L arm just to protect it.At times,the left arm/shoulder is tight but I just had to do exercises to loosen it up.From the time I got home,I always elevated my L arm whenever I sleep at night which really helped me a lot not to start a lymphedema.

• Yndorian
    Yndorian Member Posts: 236
    Options

I saw my SO this morning. I scheduled to have a ALDN too. She thinks she will take about 8/10 nodes, and then she said "but you won't even notice" When I mencioned my worry about LE she said that in the past LE was very common but now, with the new surgery techniques LE is very rare, except if I get some kind of traumatism or something in my arm. I don't know what to think

• castigame
    castigame Member Posts: 336
    Options

Yndorian,

I had 17 nodes w ALND and 2 from SNB removed. What helped me was a combination of physical therapies, lymphedema pump and sleeves. No more physical therapy needed. I used to use the pump daily now probably every other day. Wear sleeve 8 hrs a day sometimes forget to wear it. Last week or so I have not because I am on vacation but I have been walking 3 miles a day which helps quite a bit. I can honestly say lymphedema is very mild for me. You will be alright. I am on a chunky side btw.

P.S. the day after surgery your hand may be copper brown because of trauma but it will go away in a day or two.

• Yndorian
    Options

Thank you for your tips Mimi, I have been searching for those pumps ( probably I have to get some medication for my obsession with LE) I'm from Argentina, there are not. I really must to calm down myself, I don't even still got the surgery! But is good to know you are doing well!

• JanetMara
    Options

Yndorian--Trauma to the affected arm means if you get hurt,incur a wound,pricks and other injuries--so be very careful on that arm ,do not allow that affected arm for blood draws,blood pressure checks,when you are cooking,ensure that it won't be burned etc. After your surgery recovery,like I said if your surgeon does not refer you to PHYSICAL THERAPIST,make sure you ask for referral and they also refer you to have ARM sleeve,it's a compression stocking for the arm. Good luck,be brave..Start avoiding sugar as sugar feeds cancer,start on veggies if you can,raw veggies and fruits and avoid animal proteins.

• Yndorian
    Options

JANETMARA Thanks por the tips. I will do it all. I'm on my own with the LE therapist search. My docs doesn't know anyone. The sugar matter is a good advice too, to people in general and to cancer patients particullary. I think cancer is some kind of worm/fungus/virus, and sugar feed it