Come join others currently navigating treatment in our weekly Zoom Meetup! Register here: Tuesdays, 1pm ET.
Fill Out Your Profile to share more about you. Learn more...

June 2019 Surgery Support Group

Options

Comments

• Shadow63
    Shadow63 Member Posts: 11
    Options

Thank you. I'm relaxing now.

• Yndorian
    Yndorian Member Posts: 236
    Options

Shadow: Happy for you! Enjoy your relax. HUGS

• Yndorian
    Options

Tomorrow I'll be hospitalized to have the surgery. I don't know if the surgery will be tomorrow or the day after tomorrow. I'm so freaking nervous!!!ScaredScaredScaredBawling

• Scottiemom11
    Scottiemom11 Member Posts: 1,072
    Options

Yndorian,

Hugs to you. Keep us updated. I am currently at my pre-Op. Time has flown by but not quickly enough for me. I am counting the days.

Scottie

• Scottiemom11
    Options

Yndorian,

Hugs to you. Keep us updated. I am currently at my pre-Op. Time has flown by but not quickly enough for me. I am counting the days.

Scottie

• teaka123
    teaka123 Member Posts: 29
    Options

All,

My nipple sparing mastectomy (left breast) was this past Monday (6/3). Happy to report back that everything went well and I am feeling very good.

Sentinel node removal was a concern for me, but only one node was removed. Today, I am having no discomfort under my arm or with any movement of the the arm. I'm making certain to move in an effort to stave off Lymphedema.

I have a nerve blocker that hangs from a bag and am taking Tylenol and Aleve. As the nerve blocker winds down I should be able to just use the Tylenol. The nerve blocker does its job well and I am not in any pain. In fact, I can say I have not had any pain only a dull ache from the surgical site on the breast and under the arm during the first 24 hours.

Had my first look at the breast this morning when we had to readjust a cotton pad that slipped up. My breast looked deflated, but much better than the image my mind conjured up. I did not have the emotional weeping moment I anticipated. I am hopeful that things will continue to go well and I will have the DIEP procedure. Seeing my breast this morning I thought "we can fix that". I think having the DIEP plan in mind helped.

If anyone has any questions about my procedure day I will be happy to answer them while it is all fresh in my mind.

We are stronger together.

• Scottiemom11
    Options

myusername, it's good to hear that you are doing so well. I did not realize they had a continuous nerve blocker. Is it through an IV?

I will bilateral nerve blocks placed during my surgery as I did last time. They are definitely a plus but mine only lasted for a day or so.

Take care,

Scottie

• happyperidot
    happyperidot Member Posts: 19
    Options

Welp, I finally got my date, and it's not in June. It's July 8. Oh well. I'll join that thread when it's open.

Best of luck to everyone going this month. I'll be thinking of you.

• Scottiemom11
    Options

Happy,

Glad to hear that you have your date and now have a little more time to get ready. We'd love to have you hang out with us until the July board starts up.

Hugs

Scottie

• Yndorian
    Options

Well, I'm back home. I couldn't have my surgery because there was no anesthesiologist. They will reprogram my date SickTiredSickTiredSickTired

Kelly: I'm glad that you have your date. I wish you the best😘

• ipenelope
    ipenelope Member Posts: 233
    Options

yndorian- I'm sorry your surgery has to be rescheduled!! That really sucks! I hope it is soon and you don't have to wait very long!

Happyperidot- yay that you have your date! I know when I was waiting to find out when things were going to happen was the worst!! Once i knew the time went by quickly. I hope for you it is the same!!

I hope everyone is doing good!!

~Katie💗

• Yndorian
    Options

Thank you, Katie. It was very frustrating

• Yndorian
    Options

Katie: by the way, how are you doing with your surgery? Did you have any problem with your armpit clearing? Are you completely recovery yet? I'm having the "full thing" too. I thing that your experience can be helpful here.😘

• countdooku
    countdooku Member Posts: 26
    Options

Joining in.  Scheduled for a mastectomy on 6/19.  My right breast turned to the Dark Side of the Force so instead of a double lumpectomy in that breast, I'm opting for them to just take the whole dang thing.  It's also scheduled for my daughter's 13th birthday, which really sucks.  But I told my husband that he has to bring cake and pizza to the hospital and we'll have all of the nurses sing Happy Birthday to the kiddo.

• Scottiemom11
    Options

Welcome Countdooku,

Hugs to you! I like you username and analogy. Also, you get major kuddos for coming up with a plan for your daughter's birthday.

Yndorian,

Sorry to hear that your surgery was postponed. Sending good vibes for getting rescheduled very soon. I know this must be terribly frustrating for you. Hugs to you as well.

Scottie

• ipenelope
    Options

Yndorian- My BMX actually went good. I had all my lymph nodes removed on my left underarm as the cancer spread... but thankfully not far enough to need radiation. Unlike some people and what was recommended, nurses make the worst patients, I moved my arm from the beginning and didn't necessarily do the trex arms. My left side underarm took took longer to get decent feeling back.

The foobs are mostly healed which is good because my 2nd surgery is a week from today. I was lucky and didn't have any negative issues after surgery other than needing 3 drains for 3 weeks. I had prepectoral spacers placed. I would say though to you ladies with surgery coming up, talk to your PS about massaging scar tissue as I have some hard scar tissue that is tender with massaging.

I wish all you ladies lots of luck with your surgeries!! Thoughts with you all!!

~Katie💗

• Yndorian
    Options

Katie: thanks for your advices and for joining us in this thread. Your experience is very helpful as a pacient and as a nurse! I will have rads, it was on the table from the beginning. I'm trying to go through this step by step. HUGS😘

• teaka123
    Options

Scottiemom11,

I had the Onq pump (aka ON-Q Pain Relief System) which administered a local anesthetic very slowly to the site of the mastectomy. It lasted about 3 days (including surgery day). It came in a small black bag that was worn much like the drain. A long very thin plastic tube went in the mastectomy area. Once the bulb was emptied we were able to pull the tubing out - it was like a very long piece of spaghetti. Seemed to work really well for me.

I can't wait to have this ace bandage off!

Monday will be my post-op appointment.

• Yndorian
    Options

Myusername: good luck with your monday appointment!

This morning they confirmed me that my surgery will be next tuesday. I will keep my fingers crossed!

HUGS

• wheatscapes
    wheatscapes Member Posts: 48
    Options

Hey everyone - I am four days post BMX and reconstruction (tissue expander), and doing great. The surgery went well. Took about six hours. I woke with pain managed well, spent one night in the hospital and was discharged home the next day. Oral pain meds have managed my pain, with an occasional benzo for muscle spasms. My boobs look like they did when I was 25, size-wise! (Yay!) I have four drains that I empty three times a day; I log the amt of fluidand call into plastic surgeon.

And best of all: Final path report states zero lymph node involvement, clear margins, no evidence of disease in right breast! I am thanking God and know I am very, very blessed. They took one lymph node from right armpit; two from left.

I know this may sound strange, but I feel better physically than I did before surgery. The achy joints, extreme fatigue and depression that was plaguing me for months is gone 🤷🏻 I will take it!

• Yndorian
    Options

Wheatscape: Congratulations, I'm happy for you! Now is time to recovery, it sounds like you are doing well! Remember: t rex arms for a few days 💪💪💪

HUGS!

• Scottiemom11
    Options

Wheatscapes,

So glad to hear that you are blessed with such a great path report and that you are doing so well post surgery. 25yo boobs are a plus.

Take care,

Scottie

• teaka123
    Options

Wheatscape,

Wonderful news and glad to hear how well you are feeling!

• teaka123
    Options

Yndorian, Sending lots of positive energy to make certain you have an anesthesiologist on Tuesday!

I was glad to have a chance to speak to the anesthesiologist before my surgery. I told her that I had surgery following a car accident a few years ago and I had heard the surgical team talking and that for months following the surgery I was in a brain fog - no concentration. The anesthesiologist I had this past Monday said she would give me an "old gentleman's cocktail". Don't know exactly what it was, but I bounced right back and had no nausea.

• Yndorian
    Options

Teaka: Thank you for your positive energy, it is so neccesary! I don't know what is that old gentleman's cocktail but if it worked for you I will ask for it! I don't wanna be awake at the surgery!

I'm glad you did it well!

HUGS

• ipenelope
    Options

Yndorian good luck next Tuesday!! We'll be thinking about you and sending healing thoughts your way!!

Wheatscape congratulations on a good patho report and that you are feeling so good after your surgery, and well 25 yo breasts is great lol!!

I hope everyone else is doing good!!

~Katie💗

• countdooku
    countdooku Member Posts: 26
    Options

I am getting things squared away for my mastectomy on 6/19. Submitted an FMLA/Short Term Disability request with HR at work. My boss has been very supportive and said not to worry about work while I'm out, so that's been a relief. I need to buy a wedge pillow and probably a body pillow, I think. I also bought a few supplies:

• gloves - for when DH helps me with the drains & changing gauze for incisions, etc.
    • some more antibacterial soap
    • some more Clorox wipes
    • Colace stool softener
    • some alcohol wipes from the 1st aid section of the grocery store
    • online, I ordered a front-closure bra from this Anaono shop
    • as well as one of their robes with a drain belt
    I also need to go buy a couple of button-up tops because the only ones I have are long sleeved and are for work. And it's summer time, so I need something flowy and cooler.

I'm not planning on packing a whole bunch of stuff for the hospital. I might leave my cell phone at home and my purse, too. And maybe just bring a small overnight bag with the clothes I'm going to go home in along with a hat, toothbrush, and toothpaste.

• teaka123
    Options

countdooku,

I found a padded sheepskin seat belt cover, a blanket and/or small pillow for breast protection helpful for car rides.

I have not been carrying a purse, but gave my husband my id and insurance card,

A plastic basket to hold medical type supplies - keeping on the bathroom counter, but it can be moved.

In case you have a breathing tube during surgery having some hard candy or cough drop to suck on helps if you have a bit of a sore throat afterwards.

Bright painted toenails made me happy,

Be Well.

• NJgirl2018
    NJgirl2018 Member Posts: 4
    Options

My excisional biopsy was on Friday and went pretty well. I am still having quite a bit of pain and trying to keep my boob as squished in a sports bra as possible. I got a peek at it when I took the bandages off yesterday and it is quite bruised but as my husband said "it still looks like a boob"! Just resting and rotating ice pack on/off as possible...going to take a half day today so that I can get home to an ice pack. :) I hope everyone's surgeries are healing well!

• Yndorian
    Options

NJgirl: I'm glad that you are doing well and you're still having a "like a boob" boob! HUGS