Come join others currently navigating treatment in our weekly Zoom Meetup! Register here: Tuesdays, 1pm ET.
Fill Out Your Profile to share more about you. Learn more...

June 2019 Surgery Support Group

Options

Comments

• Scottiemom11
    Scottiemom11 Member Posts: 1,072
    Options

Yndorian,

Sending gentle, healing vibes for tomorrow and throughout this week.

Countdooku - glad to hear you have great support from your work. And kudos on your preparation. I am sooo not prepared. Will have to rely on Amazon. I need button tops for my return to work and have no time to shop.

NJgirl - hugs to you. Sending healing vibes.

I'm counting the work days - 4 more. . .

Scottie

• countdooku
    countdooku Member Posts: 26
    Options

I got genetic test results back.  They checked for 32 gene mutations for breast, pancreatic, and prostate cancer.  I tested positive for the ATM gene mutation.  Breast surgeon has recommended bilateral mastectomy instead of single mastectomy or lumpectomy+radiation, so that's what I'm going to do.  I will also likely need to get an upper endoscopic pancreatic ultrasound within the next year.  That actually freaks me out more than the breast cancer does.

• Xtra
    Xtra Member Posts: 10
    Options

Hello! First time posting. My mammogram with ABUS was May 7, and the whirlwind is taking me to surgery on 6/19. I was offered a lumpectomy, but I'm having a skin- and nipple-sparing BMX with immediate direct to implants. I have a 1.8 cm stage 1, grade 1, ER+ 95%/PR+99% HER2 negative IDC in my right breast @11:00, close to the surface of the skin, and they saw something else suspicious on the pre-op MRI, but since I'm having the mastectomy, the doc said we're taking it out anyway, so no need to biopsy now and my clinical stage doesn't change. I don't have the genetics results back yet. I'm really scared about the nodes and the possibility of cancer being in them. My doc said there is a 15% - 20% possibility of cancer spreading. There was no evidence on the MRI, and my cancer is slow-moving, but I think the worst. I dread the doctor telling my husband bad news and him having to tell me when I awaken. Also, my doc said if I didn’t have enough skin, he would have to put an expander in me. I’m hoping I have enough skin!

I've been achy in my affected breast and I'm sore in my neck and back, which makes me more anxious because I immediately think the cancer is spreading, when in reality, I'm so tense, I know it's my muscles, but I need to calm down. I almost broke down when they had to do a chest x-ray because I was afraid they were going to find more cancer (x-ray was clear) After surgery, I am going to have 4 400cc drains, the huge ones, as big as grapefruits, so a lot of those nifty gadgets they sell to hide the drains won’t fit, but some do. If I could have the surgery today, I would. I want this out of me.

This board has been so helpful to me. Thank you to all of you. I can read all the articles in the world, but coming on here and reading about women with my same diagnosis, and what happened to them truly calms me. If I am able to help anyone, I want to do it!

• Scottiemom11
    Options

Xtra,

Welcome and Hugs. I meant to respond last night but yesterday and last night got away from me.

I know how hard it can be not to worry. Try to spend the next few days relaxing and collecting everything you need including comfort items. I still rely on my total body pillow for sleeping and propping up in bed to read or watch videos.

Take care and I am so glad you have found such great support on these boards.

Scottie

Revision Reconstruction with capsulectomy and new implants on 6/17

• countdooku
    Options

Had pre-op appointment with the reconstructive plastic surgeon in preparation for next Wed's bilateral mastectomy + expander/reconstruction surgery. Husband went with this time, so he had all of his questions answered. :-) They're not saving either nipple. On the cancerous breast, 1 of the tumors is too close to the nipple to make saving it worthwhile. I told the plastic surgeon that I don't care one way or another because I'm more focused on ensuring the cancer is gone and can't come back. The nurse showed me some examples of what the nipple tattoos look like...they're very realistic looking. From far away, you really can't tell the difference from the real thing.

Stupid insurance requires a prior authorization before I can pick up my post-surgical camisole...so stupid because that apparently can take up to 10 days. Well, it was 7 calendar days in between my 2nd mammogram and when my 1st biopsy happened and they figured out how to get the prior auth done & approved in that time frame.

Plastic surgeon gave me prescriptions for Hibiclens & an antibacterial gel to start using starting tomorrow. Hibiclens is to wash with daily in the shower. The other prescription is to put a thin layer on the inside of my nose in preparation for the breathing tube for the surgery.

• Yndorian
    Yndorian Member Posts: 236
    Options

Hi! I'm at home. My surgery went pretty well ( my drain never worked so they was draining my boob manually) beside this, the pain is very tolerable. Tomorrow morning back to the hospital for my drained. Then I have to go every other day. The biopsy of the nodes will back in a month. Sending hugs to all the ladies here

• Scottiemom11
    Options

Yndorian,

Hugs and healing vibes. Glad went well except the drain. Sorry you have to spend time going back and forth. Hoping you get lots of rest in between.

Countdooku,

I got my tats after my last surgery. Insurance paid for them. They are realistic and no bra needed even with tank tops. Oh course I'm guessing I will have to get them redone after I recover from Monday's round.

Wishing all a restful weekend.

Scottie

• countdooku
    Options

Yndorian - glad your surgery went well! What a hassle to have to go back to the hospital, though, for the drain.

• jenni0102
    jenni0102 Member Posts: 13
    Options

Hi all! I have my lumpectomy scheduled for June 25th. They plan on removing 1-3 lymph nodes as well to test to make sure the cancer has not spread. Does anyone have any advice or tips for post surgery? Things to wear? What to expect? Any words of wisdom would be greatly appreciated! Prayers for you sll

• Yndorian
    Options

Thank you countdooku and scottie!

• Yndorian
    Options

Jenny, how many days are you going to stay at hospital?

• jenni0102
    Options

Yndorian-they day it should just be day surgery.

• Yndorian
    Options

Jenny, I was at hospital for 4 days, so I took a lot of stuff with me. Now I'm at home. I'm wearing a suportive sport bra with a sponge between my boob and the bra, to avoid seroma. I have hunging on my arm with a scarf, and doing trex arm. There is not much pain, so I'm taking tylenol. It is just to be patient and not move your arm. Wet towels to clean yourself until you can take a bath. Someone else has to clean and cook of course. You take it easy.

I send you a HUGH

• jenni0102
    Options

Wow! 4 Days?!?! I hope that is not the case for me just because that is not what they told me to expect. Did you know that going in?

Thanks for the advice on after surgery! I appreciate it! I hope you continue to heal! Hugs to you

• Scottiemom11
    Options

Hi Ladies

I am 1-day and counting. . . trying to get all my "ducks in a row". It's not easy to prepare.

These are my go to pillows for surgery. Total body pillow and large wedge.

Hugs,

Scottie

• jenni0102
    Options

Hugs to you, Scottiemom! Praying all goes well for you

• Yndorian
    Options

Jenny don't worry. 4 days is the standard here in Argentina, because they let you go without drains. I suppose you will be in for just 1 day, as they told you.

Scottie: those pillows looks very comfortables! I wish you the best for your monday surgery.

HUGS

• Stelladog
    Stelladog Member Posts: 1
    Options

Thanks for your post. I am waiting for my left side mastectomysurgery on June 26 and it was nice to hear that you are doing well. I am going to have an expander so I heard this causes more discomfort but hoping to do as well as you post surgery.

• Yndorian
    Options

Stelladog: Hi! I heard the same about the expanders, but I think that the discomfort can be related with the amount of nodes they take out too. Maybe they just take your sentinel node. I wish you doing well!

HUGS

• Scottiemom11
    Options

rrshannon,

Hugs and prayers for your surgery tommorrow. I feel like the time has flown by buy I am sooo ready to be done with mine.

Yndorian and Jenni, thank you. Just praying that my surgery works this time.

Scottie

• rrshannon
    rrshannon Member Posts: 59
    Options

Thanks Scottiemom11 ready to get this done Andy praying not to have any complications this time. It’s been a busy time leading up to this next surgery and I tried to destress this weekend to prepare my body and mind mentally. Hope everyone is doing well. I will spend some time catching up on everyone’s post while I recover.

• DCmom22
    DCmom22 Member Posts: 12
    Options

Hi, all - First post here. I'm scheduled for a unilateral mastectomy with DIEP flap reconstruction on the 25th. My biggest concern right now is that I had genetic testing last Friday and am not sure the results will be back before surgery (though the genetics counselor is trying to push the lab). I don't want to go through all this only to learn that I carry a genetic mutation that would have made a prophylactic mastectomy on the other side wise. That's the main source of anxiety right now--but maybe I'm just blocking out thoughts of the surgery itself.

• ucfknights
    ucfknights Member Posts: 91
    Options

hi girls! I was wondering, after chemo how long is the waiting before surgery is scheduled?

• Yndorian
    Options

Hi DCmom, welcome. Crossed fingers for that results before surgery! HUGS

Hi Ucfknights! My MO said that the ideal is 40 days after chemo +/- . I have had mine 43 days after chemo, but I think each case is different. HUGS!

• Yndorian
    Options

Scottie: thinking about you. Eveything will be fine. HUGS!

• Yndorian
    Options

Rrshannon: Sending good vibrations to you! HUGS

• moderators
    moderators Posts: 7,981
    Options

Dear DCmom22,

Welcome to the BCO community. We are so glad that you reached out here to share your story with our members. Please keep us posted on what you learn and how things go. We look forward to seeing you around the boards.

The Mods

• countdooku
    Options

Our immediate family went on a brief out of town trip this past weekend to spend some time with extended family before my surgery on this Wednesday. We had a nice time. I feel emotionally and mentally ready for surgery day. Ready for the double mastectomy. Ready for the cancer to go bye bye. Kids & husband are ready, too.

• ipenelope
    ipenelope Member Posts: 233
    Options

Wishing all you ladies the best of your upcoming surgeries!! I had my exchange surgery this past Thursday so I'm kinda in your group. Thoughts with you all!!

Keep kicking cancer's arse!!!🥊🥊🥊🥊

~Katie💗

• Scottiemom11
    Options

Good Morning All,

Thank you for all tbe good thoughts!!!

My surgery went well but I now have two new incisions under my foobs. My centerline scars were used for my BMx and both my 2nd and 3rd exchange surgeries. When I joked yesterday with my surgeon fhat he was about to cut through my very realistic nipple tats he told me that the centerline skin is too thin for another round. So I now have Lucky 7 scars (including sides and nodes).

I have intercostal nerve blocks that help the pain but I have been moving around too much last night and this morning so I am now in my pillow nest T-Rexing and trying to up my liquids intake.

Shannon - hope your surgery went great and that you are comfortable and getting lots of rest. Healing Hugs!

Katie (IPenelope) - you are very much a part of this board. Hope you are recovering well and keep posting with us. This is my 4th surgery board and all of them have help with my recoveries. You are sooo right, we are all kicking cancer's arse!

Countdooku - Glad to hear that you feel ready now and had a bit of a getaway trip. Sending hugs and healing vibes for tomorrow. How long will you stay in hospital?

DCmom- Welcome and hugs to you! I had my genetic testing after my BMx for my daughter's sake. I would suggest posting a question under the testing and/or surgery catergories and you will likely find great support from others who have the same/similar concerns.

Jenni0102 - I wore a loose tank top to all of my surgeries (except BMx) with large button up shirts to coverup a bit more after. Basically clothes that DH could help me with after. I have always had a surgery bra or compression wraps put on in surgery.

Xtra - Hugs to you. The wait can be very hard so I am sending lots of hugs. When is your surgery scheduled?

Scottie

Bilateral capsulectomy with exchange of implants 6/17