Fill Out Your Profile to share more about you. Learn more...

For those of us with BMI over 35

Options
124»

Comments

• mistyeyes
    mistyeyes Member Posts: 570
    Options

Insideout2- Your post is a great motivator. I need to stop looking in the mirror to see if I am looking thinner and start judging myself on how I feel.

Oh Illimae, you went through a horrible time, you lost a lot of weigh- I plan on staying away from the starvation diet. lol Just rest up and build back your strength slowly.

• illimae
    illimae Member Posts: 5,577
    Options

exactly mistyeyes, worst diet ever. Effective but not recommended.

• Insideout2
    Insideout2 Member Posts: 108
    Options

Illidan That's awesome. Walking makes a difference. You are a strong person, with a journey in progress. Read your post this morning. You inspired me to get up and walk this morning. Thank you.

Hugs to all

Insideout2

• Fairydragonfly
    Fairydragonfly Member Posts: 132
    Options

Re: Noom

So I have been working on losing weight aNd since March I have dropped 75 lbs. I did four months of Noom. After three months I didn't find anything useful about it, but it did help me in the beginning. I am an emotional/stress eater and Noom has a strong focus on the mental aspects. Definitely try the two week trial to see if it is for you.

I'm also working with a weight management doctor who has made medication changes and a kinesiologist who is helping with exercise.

• mavericksmom
    mavericksmom Member Posts: 1,138
    Options

Sorry I have not kept up with this thread but keeping free of Covid consumed my life most of the time this past year. (I was able to get vaccinated buy my grandkids go back to school and are not old enough to be vaccinated, so the pressure is still there.)

Now I am once again having non-breast cancer health issues that are causing me to focus on weight again. Obesity really does make all health issues worse!

Illimae, hope you are doing well! Thinking about you and kicking myself because all I have to deal with is diet and exercise! You have gone through SO MUCH MORE!

I am focused on diet, eating more healthy (never really binged or ate a lot of junk food) and definitely watching portion size!

Trying to stay positive and focused in a crazy world! Hope to see more comments so we can support each other!

• illimae
    Options

Mavericksmom, hi there. I’m doing great, cancer is stable, two tiny spots in my brain, too small to treat, so they’re being watched. Nothing in my body and my single bone met is fully healed after radiation from a trial. DH and I are walking each morning mon-fri and I’m back to eating healthier and lower volume/calorie foods since I’ve gained back 20lbs. Still in a good place, just trying to keep it all in check.

• mavericksmom
    Options

illimae, your post just brightened my day! I am SO glad you are doing well! What a great attitude! You inspire me! Thank you for posting!

• Jetcat
    Jetcat Member Posts: 18
    Options

Hi ladies- i also have struggled to lose weight since menopause/hypothyroid issues that started in my 50’s. Just wanted to share that my PCP agreed to let me try Saxenda and it appears to be working. I’ve lost 7 lbs in 3 weeks - still 23 lbs more to go. It’s a daily injection (doesn’t hurt at all). It works by reducing your appetite so it’s easier to stay at 1,200 calories/day— it has something to do with leptin. It is the same as Ozempic but a higher dosage. The FDA has just approved Wegovy that is supposed to work the same or better and is a weekly injection.These meds are very expensive in the U.S. unless your insurance covers it which is too bad but it might be something for you to discuss with your doctor. Best wishes to all!

• illimae
    Options

Mavericksmom, yay, I’m happy my update gave your day a boost and hope you are doing well.

Jetcat, welcome and congrats on working towards your goal. A daily shot though, yikes, I’m a big needle phob.

Currently, we’re focused on walking and more plant based, finally. I’ve always been good with both but it took some artery blockage for the hubs to get onboard. But, all good here.

• mavericksmom
    Options

Hi illimae! Well, good thing I was already committed to a diet (like you, more plant based) because I had blood tests and it came back that I am pre-diabetic! It didn't upset me, it didn't change my "game plan" but it added another reason to make sure I AM successful!

My PCP did a blood test that is an indicator of heart failure and that one came back normal, but he still wants me to see my cardiologist. That is scheduled the end of Sept.

Jetcat, Way To Go!!!! Glad you came on board, keep us posted!

• farmgirl888
    farmgirl888 Member Posts: 14
    Options

On Wegovy now for 1 month - 10 lbs down. It's not supposed to really kick in for weight loss until a higher dose at 3 months. So far, so good...

If your insurance won't cover it try to get Ozempic.

• mavericksmom
    Options

Glad this topic is still going strong!

Update on my weight loss journey. Last August (2021) my doctor ordered blood tests and an A1C was one of them. Turns out I was/am pre-diabetic. It is odd how some things cause us to react differently, but the term pre-diabetic really hit me! My husband is diabetic. Not obese, possibly overweight but he looks normal weight. He is on two kinds of insulin =$$$ He tests his blood 4Xday! He also "plays with his insulin, adjusting it when he wants to eat sweets. For years he has done this, and for years I watched him pig out on sweets, only to adjust his insulin. I heard it can take 3-5 years to go from pre-diabetic to normal but I care about what I eat because of my fear of diabetes more strongly than I ever did about wanting to lose weight. Hopefully my diet choices will give me both!

I KNEW that testing my blood and giving myself insulin was not for me. I also knew that while I learned a lot during my year + at Weight Watchers years ago (gained back all I lost), dieting would not work for me. So, I made small changes to my diet. I limit the amount of wheat products I eat to 1-2 a week. I never eat after dinner (about 6:00 PM) I only eat sweets on special occassions (about once or less a month) and when I do, they are normal portions. They aren't the ridiculously small serving size on some products either. If I am going to limit my enjoyment, I want a "normal aka satisfying" portion. So I don't pig out, but I don't do tiny either! I try to walk more, more conscience of exercise and getting my steps in. I eat 3 meals and one snack a day. So far those changes have helped me lose, albeit ever so slowly, but it is definitely something I can live with. I watch what I eat, try to eat more vegetables and fruit but I only measure my morning oatmeal. I refuse to feel guilty if I want something sweet, but I also refuse to eat them when I don't crave them.

So far I have lost about 31 pounds.

• westiemom
    westiemom Member Posts: 86
    Options

I have the same problem. I can’t seem to lose weight. I am on Ibrance/Letrozole. I tried a year ago, limited my diet to 1000 calories but always being hungry, resentful & bitter wasn’t a good look on me 😃. And I always hear during my oncology visits to be mindful of my BMI (like I don’t know) but when I ask for help, they shy away from giving diet advice or medication. I met with an Optifast medical nutritionist but because I’m stage IV they said I do not qualify. For the most I eat healthy, baked, grilled, rarely fried food. . Fridays & Saturdays I will have a glass of wine with a piece of dark chocolate. I walk daily, do strength training a few days a week but I am in no way a hardcore fitness type but do try to stay active daily. Anyone heard of Plenity? Anyone try it? I’m at a loss, or is there a certain type of medical professional I need to see to help with weight loss?

• mavericksmom
    Options

One of the things I hated so much when I had my mastectomy and reconstruction in 2019 was having to expose my naked self to the plastic surgeon! I have ALWAYS hated my body, but that was the worst!

Now I am going to have to do it all over again! I am about 25 pounds lighter now but that isn't enough to make me feel better about a doctor, looking at my naked body! I know I have no choice, but it is like I am not only living a cancer nightmare again but feel publicly humiliated about the way my body looks! I wish I could hide away!

I have been diagnosed with breast cancer a THIRD time! This time in my only remaining breast! I am not thrilled about my upper body especially my lymphedema arm, but my lower body horrifies me! I don't want anyone to see that!

All I can do is continue to exercise and eat healthy. I wish I could do more. I wasn't expecting this, but who is?

At least I picked a new surgeon before I found out I have cancer! I know I will survive this, which is the most important thing, but I hate the thought of anyone seeing my thunder thighs and hippo hips!

On a positive side, I could be a poster woman for mammograms, as all three times my cancer was found early from a mammogram. I am trying so hard to stay positive about this. I was actually buying into what the breast surgeon, the one who denied me a double mastectomy in 2019, said, that I was free of cancer and the chance of getting cancer in my opposite breast was almost zero! Somehow, that isn't comforting when faced with cancer in the opposite breast just 3 years later!

Being BRCA negative doesn't mean you can't get cancer in both breasts, years apart! I am proof of that! I was negative for genetic defects in 39 genes including BRCA.

I hope everyone else is staying healthy and losing weight and gaining a better self-image! I wish I had started my healthy eating habits earlier, I wish I lost a lot more this past year, but unfortunately there is nothing I can do about it now.

So, I am preparing for the body shaming.

• sbelizabeth
    sbelizabeth Member Posts: 955
    Options

Mavericksmom, we all absolutely get it, but stop. Just stop. When your mind starts telling you you're ugly, fat, dumpy, unpleasant, or whatever other horrible adjectives might have popped into your head, think "DELETE. DELETE. DELETE."

I don't know if you're a spiritual person, but I personally believe there are malevolent beings whose goals are to wreck my peace. They would love to make me feel burdened and wretched. Tell them to go away. Rise above this. YOU ARE NOT ASHAMED. You are a beautiful, strong, dignified warrior.

And I bet you're plenty pissed about wanting a double mastectomy the first time and denied, only to be facing this crapalactic news right now. I'm sorry.

For this photo, you're holding the shield. The child is your self-worth. Protect her.

• mavericksmom
    Options

sbelizabrth, THANK YOU! You are right, but gosh it is hard. I was more than pissed at not getting what I wanted, but I realized being pissed wasn’t going to help me now. What is worse is that it wasn’t that long ago that I started thinking that surgeon was right and my chance of getting this again was zero!

Now I ABSOLUTELY know, BRCA positive might mean a higher risk for women, but no one told breast cancer to leave the BRCA negative women alone! I will never feel completely free of cancer, but in today’s world, I refused tobe afraid of it!

I am seriously going to have to work on liking my body.......