Fill Out Your Profile to share more about you. Learn more...

MRI Finds BC at Earlier Stage Than Mammos in High-Risk Women

Options
2»

Comments

• jons_girl
    jons_girl Member Posts: 444
    edited December 2020
    Options

I know there are people on this forum from Canada I think. So I’m surprised nobody responded to your post.

I would think they’d have a study like that I’m canada?? The study is in Seattle. Could you fly to Seattle to join the study? They are still recruiting I think.

My DWI/MRI is next wk. Yes I’ve heard of abbreviated MRI supposedly as a good option for breast cancer diagnostics too. I think they are studying abbreviated MRI for another possible option for breast cancer diagnostics too.

Sure hope they find other diagnostics for those of us with dense tissue. Would be great to have lots of diagnostic options for the 40% of us with dense tissue.

• kbl
    kbl Member Posts: 2,699
    edited December 2020
    Options

Jons_girl, I’ve never been in a clinical trial, so I’m curious. Do you have to have the DWI in Washington? I have occult de novo Stage IV breast cancer, they never found the cancer in my breast. It’s lobular. my oldest brother just this week was diagnosed with ductal. I have dense breasts and so does my daughter, who I’m most concerned for. I’d like more information on this for her sake. We have no genetic link. Thank you.

• jons_girl
    edited December 2020
    Options

KBL:

The cohort main study is in Seattle To be in the study your daughter would just need to have her dr refer to Seattle cancer care alliance for a screening Mri She could fly there if she doesn’t live near Seattle. If your interested I can give you the name and contact info of the lady who’s in charge there Its easy to get referral for the screening mri Your daughter should more than qualify because of you having breast cancer (1st degree relative with breast cancer) My daughter qualifies and now has yearly diagnostic checks She hasn’t had mri yet but I would think might have mri at some point

Wow thank you for sharing a bit of your story. Have you been to www.areyoudense.org ? There are many stories there of women like ourselves with dense tissue who’s cancers were missed. What diagnostics did you have? They missed mine even tho I felt tumor, diagnostic 3d mammo missed it. But because I (and they) felt my tumor, they did a ultrasound which showed everything (tumor and bloodsource to tumor). But I know with lobular it isn’t easy to see on diagnostic. Did mri see it? Sorry for questions.

I’m so sorry to hear your brother has been dx with breast cancer too. My maternal Gma had breast cancer twice and Mets. My maternal aunt had breast cancer dx just before my dx. My mom has had biopsies but no cancer. She still has dense breast tissue.I did gene test and nothing positive either.

• kbl
    edited December 2020
    Options

I started to write my story here, but it was just too long. Lol. I private messaged you. Thank you so much.

• jons_girl
    edited December 2020
    Options

Thank for private messaging!

• kbl
    edited December 2020
    Options

You’re welcome. We will stay in touch for sure.

• jons_girl
    edited February 2021
    Options

kbl:

How are you doing?

• kbl
    edited February 2021
    Options

Hi, Jons_girl. Thank you for asking. I’m doing well. Had a rough week last week with nausea and no energy, but my thyroid was off again. Got a higher dosage of thyroid med, and I feel much better this week.

How are you doing

• jons_girl
    edited March 2021
    Options

Hi KBL:

Sorry for my delayed response. I am glad you are doing well! Sorry to hear about your rough week! I am glad the higher dosage of thyroid med helped!

I am doing well. The MRI I had in Dec is good. And I will have ultrasound in May. My Iron level is wonky. So I may be having a iron infusion. For some reason my iron isn't being absorbed in my body. I have high iron stores but my body isn't uptaking it. My ferritin is a little on the low side. Joint pain still...but nobody knows why. I am not on hormone blocker so it isn't that.

• moth
    moth Member Posts: 3,293
    edited March 2021
    Options

sasamat, I'm not aware of a BC MRI trial but there's a tomosynthesis trial recruiting in Vancouver

http://www.canadiancancertrials.ca/Trial/Default.a...

you can search on that site for more trials

• kbl
    edited March 2021
    Options

Jons_girl, no worries at all. We all get so busy. I hope you can get relief for your iron issues. That probably makes your energy level not so great. As for the joint pain, very strange, and I hope you can figure out what’s causing it.

• sasamat
    sasamat Member Posts: 43
    edited March 2021
    Options

Thanks @moth! That is very interesting. Unfortunately, it looks like I would not be eligible at this point because my next mammogram has to be diagnostic (not screening) and I've had a screening mammogram in the last 11 months. But maybe others in Vancouver can take advantage.

It looks like I will get an MRI after all, due to the overall risk situation. I have a diagnostic mammo this month and, once that gets interpreted and hopefully doesn't require immediate follow up, the MRI will be scheduled for the fall, around the same time as an ultrasound.

• jons_girl
    edited March 2021
    Options

KBL:thank you💐have a wonderful day! Hope all is going ok for you. Sending a hug your way.

• kbl
    edited March 2021
    Options

Hugs back to you. It’s a rainy, relaxing day. Sometimes they’re so nice to just sit back and relax.

• jons_girl
    edited March 2021
    Options

oh I agree. I hope you had a great day! I think spring has hit the west coast.