Come join others currently navigating treatment in our weekly Zoom Meetup! Register here: Tuesdays, 1pm ET.
Fill Out Your Profile to share more about you. Learn more...

Chemo Starting August 2019

Options

Comments

• in2earth
    in2earth Member Posts: 32
    Options

@ontarget- thanks for mentioning ! I do feel the heartrate going down & I'm feeling more normal now on day 6 !

@houseofkards- I'm dose dense! The actual infusion went really good, AC made me sick 2x during the infusion & that freaked me out, like I have bad ptsd now from that situation. I have NO idea why they said no steroids (oops should of asked why before) I was happy at first not to take them because they made me so hungry/gain weight, but now I want them. The taxol wasn't horrible, I was just super depressed / shocked at how bad I felt compared to AC. I also think most of the pain was from the neul

• Sportymom
    Sportymom Member Posts: 40
    Options

Have not posted in a while. Not many on my regimen either. I am hoping I am fine but I have noticed that my resting heart rate has climbed since I started the FEC. I think part of it may be anxiety as I had a bad week last week and my anxiety shot up plus I was feeling more depressed. Not sure if any of this is from chemo or the Zoladex. Cannot be certain.

Anyway, going to get my bloods done this morning so I can hopefully have my chemo on Friday. The anxiety is pretty bad right now. My household is sick and I have a bit of a cough but I cannot be sure what it is from as my dog also got sprayed by a skunk last weekend and it could be irritated because if that as I have no other symptoms. Depressing to note that I have pulled most of my rib intercostal muscles from the intense vacuuming last weekend to clean up the smell (after laying baking soda on the carpets). Well that is my rant.

• OnTarget
    OnTarget Member Posts: 124
    Options

Hi Sportymom- Sorry things are stressful right now! I hope you get cleared for your chemo on Friday! I hope next week is better and stink free!

• GoMama
    GoMama Member Posts: 47
    Options

I got last-minute approval for the Abraxane from the new insurance Wednesday morning and went on with treatment as scheduled that afternoon. So far no rash, no itching. I did not get the Cytoxan, so the PA and I are wondering if that caused the reaction. I took the last of the steroids to treat the rash Tuesday morning, though, so it may be too early to relax. I'll email the MO on Sunday, by which time I should either be itching or breathe a sigh of relief.

• OnTarget
    Options

GoMama- That's great! I'm so glad you didn't have a reaction this time! Fingers crossed that you stay itch free!

• OnTarget
    Options

Today was my last chemo treatment! Yay!!!!!

Nothing special to report other than that good news!

• Autumngal24
    Autumngal24 Member Posts: 14
    Options

OnTarget - Congrats! That's such an exciting milestone!

• HouseOfKards
    HouseOfKards Member Posts: 9
    Options

Congratulations, OnTarget!! What a day that must be! Hope you start feeling your normal self again very soon!

I have my last "red devil" (AC) infusion tomorrow and will be halfway through chemo. I'm excited about that milestone. I'll start dose dense Taxol in 2 weeks. Most medical professionals say that the Taxol is "easier" than AC, but I've heard/read from many patients that Taxol is harder in some ways. In the spirit of "everybody is different," I'll just have to wait and see...

• OnTarget
    Options

Thanks ladies!

Congrats HouseOfKards! I hope you rock the Taxol!!!

• in2earth
    Options

How exciting to finish @Ontarget !!! I bet you are so happy, you did great !

• GoMama
    Options

Congratulations, OnTarget! Woot woot!

• elc75
    elc75 Member Posts: 13
    Options

Hope everyone is doing alright! I had my last AC 2 weeks ago and my first T wasyesterday. I’m hoping the SE’s will be a bit more manageable for the next 12 weeks because the AC really kicked my ass. I’m starting to get anticipatory nausea when I what into the clinic - it’s the smell that gets me! Yesterday we walked in and I immediately ran out and threw up in the mulch. Nasty I know. My doc advised taking Ativan an hour before and then he can put some in my IV as well. I got some in the IV and it was super - I felt like I had a couple glasses of wine in me and I even managed to get a little nap in. And no pukey gross feelings at all!

I’m feeling ok today so I guess I’ll see what the week brings. It’s been 3 months since my diagnosis and I’ve decided that I really need to focus on making myself happy and not being so consumed with all things cancer. That’s definitely easier said that done so wish me luck!

• OnTarget
    Options

elc- that sounds awful, I'm so glad you were able to figure out a med that makes you feel ok! Good luck with changing focus! I've been less and less cancer focused lately and it is making me pretty happy!

• Sportymom
    Options

I know my FEC chemo is different from most others but has anyone experienced being breathless upon exertion, like after climbing stairs? I used to walk my dog every day and swim a few times per week and now cannot since my third cycle. This is really causing me to be really down as my brain is leaping to worse case scenarios.

• kamboka
    kamboka Member Posts: 1,053
    Options
    1. Sportymom: You might check to see if you are anemic. I became severely anemic and presented with similar symptoms as you.
  • Sportymom
    Options

Thanks Kamboka. My bloodwork was fine going into the third cycle so I am not sure that is it. I appreciate the feedback. This whole thing is really dcary

• in2earth
    Options

@sportymom I felt the same way on my 1st Taxol 3 weeks ago. The whole reality of what this was doing to my body really started freaking me out. I tried to combat this with just trying to accept I needed to rest more than I wanted & that it will be over soon. Hopefully your doctor can give some insight too

• in2earth
    Options

@elc Omg I know the smell issue was so bad for me with most of AC. I hate the smell of the thing they use to clean your port. AH. I had IV compazine for my last Taxol and it helped so much. Taxol has some muscle pain pretty bad for me as neulasta starts and for another day but nothing else to bad. Hope it goes better for you

• Sportymom
    Options

@in2earth Thanks so much for the response. I was starting to think that I’m crazy. I will definitely mention to my MO when I see him next. I guess poisoning the body really does a number on us. I was doing so well before this and thought I could continue doing a well but I think I was truly naive.

• OnTarget
    Options

Sportymom, I have had the same issue with breathlessness or a pounding heart from climbing stairs on TC.

My blood work also looks fine.

I feel like the doc is looking for something in the blood to be wrong, but mine is pretty normal. I also get fatigue and a fever that is usually in the mid 99's starting day 2 after chemo. This time my temp went up to 101.4 one evening. I didn't call into the clinic because the fever has happened every time and I think it is just my body's reaction to either chemo or Neulasta. Tylenol brings it down, and the fever lasts from day 2 to day 3 or 4.

My breathing/pounding heart are worst during my fever days and then it gradually gets better over time.

You aren't alone!! :)

• summersday
    summersday Member Posts: 28
    Options

You're definitely not alone! I've just finished my 6 rounds of FEC-T and being out of breath with a pounding heart on climbing the stairs is quite normal I think! It could be anemia but if your HB count is over 100 you shouldn't have severe symptoms. You've also got to remember that your whole body is under immense strain at the moment. It will get better and provided there is no pain associated with the increased heart rate or breathlessness, you're probably ok. For me, if feels like I've put on a ton of weight (even though I've only put on a bit) and when I walk, it's like I'm dragging my legs through mud. I know it's scary but our bodies are incredibly resilient and flexible and will continue to repair themselves despite the onslaught of chemo. You will exercise again - just allow your body the time to heal.

If it helps, I ramped up on eating red meat after my 4th cycle as my HB count was dropping lower and lower with each round. I would only really eat red meat a couple of times a month usually. I also have a protein shake every day along with lots of low fat, high protein foods and my blood counts for my last round (hemoglobin, white blood cells and neutrophils) were all significantly higher than the previous 3. If I could recommend anything, it would be upping your protein intake as our bodies need it not only to make white blood cells but also to repair the damage done to our tissue and muscle by the chemo.

Hang on in there - you're going to be just fine!

xx

• GoMama
    Options

Summersday "dragging my legs through mud" is a very appropriate description--I usually tell my friends I feel like my bones have turned to lead. I think it will take some time to regain our strength, ladies. We're used to being strong for ourselves and others, we need to give ourselves a break.

• Sportymom
    Options

@OnTarget Thanks so much for sharing your experience. It really does help to know that I am not alone, although I wouldn’t wish this on anyone. Although mine has still not gotten better I am hopeful. It also doesn’t help that my intercostal muscles were pulled prior to receiving this infusion cycle.

@summersday Thanks so much for your input. I guess I am forgetting to give myself a break in all this. I expected naively to fly through this cycle since my first two were so easy. I don’t have any pain when I am out of breath but as I told OnTarget, I am uncomfortable when trying to sleep due to the pain associated with my pulled intercostal muscles. That has me scared to bits as well as my mind shoots to the darkest places. I will head your advice and take more protein and eat more red meat. I do find eating hard as I have very little appetite but will push through it. Funnily enough and come to think of it I have stopped drinking Boost this past cycle which I was doing before so maybe the lack of continual protein has something to do with it.

Thanks everyone for providing their thoughts. You really give me hope. Hugs to everyone. I will try and get some sleep as well.

• Sportymom
    Options

@GoMama Thanks to you as well. It is fantasti to know the ladies on here are so comfirting

• summersday
    summersday Member Posts: 28
    Options

Sportymom - you are stronger than you think, remember that. FEC is notorious for causing nausea and a lack of appetite so don't beat yourself up about not being able to each much. I was on really strong anti-emetics (Emend) and I was lucky enough to have never felt sick once. Intercostal muscles are such a pain when you pull them as you can't really rest them! In fact, you might not have pulled them at all. Muscle pain is a common side effect too (as I'm sure you know) and it can affect any muscle in the body. I had a sore muscle in my jaw of all places on my 3rd round. My oncologist looked puzzled when I told him and then just shrugged and said it would probably go away......which it did.

I am an anxiety and depression sufferer too and am currently on medication for it. My doctor gave me mirtazapine which not only controls my anxiety but also gives me an appetite (I stop eating when I get stressed and anxious) and helps me sleep. Perhaps you could ask your MO about this? It's really helped me. But I completely understand the fear of every new side effect or every extra 0.1 degree on the thermometer. If it helps, I found that it does get better. I learned to manage the side effects and to push the dark thoughts to the back of my mind because they served no purpose other than to make me feel awful. I didn't deserve that and neither do you.

My MIL told me about her friend whose 96 year old mother got breast cancer and was put on FEC-T. She is now 97, cancer free and still bouncing around! 96!! Chemo is tough but we're tougher.........

xx

• Ezzie
    Ezzie Member Posts: 13
    Options

Hi Everyone - I got my last TC chemo yesterday. Excited that this is the last one, but I will feel more celebratory on Monday or Tues when all the symptoms are subsiding. But still, it was a milestone.

Next I have surgery to re- insert an expander (my expander got infected in July and had to be removed.) So, more steps to go, but gosh I am glad to have this behind me.

@ontarget - congrats to you too.

Glad to have this community to share and hear from.

• OnTarget
    Options

Yay Ezzie!! Congrats!!

• GoMama
    Options

yay Ezzie!

I wish I had a target end date but maybe I'll find out next week when I see my MO.

• flowerkid
    flowerkid Member Posts: 83
    Options

Ezzie - glad to hear your last chemo!

So I am going to have 4th chemo next week. Hair on head long gone.

My eyebrows are starting to fall out. I had a breakdown today about everything , precipitated by discovery of missing eyebrows. I wear eyeglasses so that helps hide them a little bit so far.

My question is: how do I deal with eyebrows missing in piecemeal ..they don't fall out all at once. If all were gone I would try the eyebrow wigs. Or at least draw them in.

Thanks for help!

• Toadism
    Toadism Member Posts: 10
    Options

@flowerkid I’m in the same place with the eyebrows, having some missing pieces and getting very thin. Went to Ulta and purchased the Benefit brand Gimme Brow and the eye brow pencil. So far I love it, never used eyebrow makeup before. It is a learning process for the. The gimme brow is like a mascara for the eyebrows then you fill in what you need with the pencil. Hope this helps.

On my way to my last infusion!!! Hooray!!