Come join others currently navigating treatment in our weekly Zoom Meetup! Register here: Tuesdays, 1pm ET.
Fill Out Your Profile to share more about you. Learn more...

Post chemo hair styles.

Options
124»

Comments

• laurencl
    laurencl Member Posts: 203
    Options

I am about to start hormone treatment. I am almost 5 months post chemo and have stopped wearing my wig. Has anyone noticed changes in their hair on hormonal therapy?

• ipenelope
    ipenelope Member Posts: 233
    Options

Laurencl- I've been on hormone therapy since end of June and am just about 7 pfc and I haven't noticed any issues with my hair Ann's being on Tamoxifen.

I hope everyone is doing good!! Have a great Thanksgiving to all the stateside warriors!!

~Katie💗

• ingerp
    ingerp Member Posts: 1,514
    Options

Lauren—just anecdotally, it seems like Letrozole is the only AI I regularly read about hair impacts with. (I’ve been on Anastrozole for a year and haven’t noticed any.)

• cbk
    cbk Member Posts: 323
    Options

Margun

Just seeing your question. Haven't been on Boards lately. Yes my hair came in much darker than it was pre-chemo. I waited 51/2 months to color.

I first went back to my hairdresser and even though he hit it twice with color it seemed to repel the color. It looked an awful burnt orange color.

Took matters into my own hands and dyed with a friend using Naturtints ... love this product and still use to this day. Saving me a boatload and the color is super mild. You can't lift hair shade more than a couple of levels though so if you are looking tolift more , I'm not sure that product will work for you.

Hope you are growing well! I'm 2 years PFC and I still get super frustrated. My hair is a mass of curls which spring up and if they were straight my hair would be way past my shoulders ... but hey it's hair I'll take it!!

Good luck.

• ipenelope
    Options

I hope everyone is doing good!! Thought I would stop in and say hi. I'm about 7 1/2 months pfc and my hair is growing decently. Ive definitely got a good wave going on but am keeping it short so not the crazy curls. Have had it cut 2 different times to shape it. The color it's pretty much back you my pre-chemo color if not slightly lighter.

I hope everyone has a wonderful holiday season with family, friends and loved ones. Merry Christmas to those that celebrate Christmas!! Keep up the fight and the healing!!!

~Katie💗

• mountainmia
    mountainmia Member Posts: 857
    Options

Hi ipenelope! Thanks for the update, and merry Christmas to you, too.

I'm about 5.5 months PFC. My hair was slow coming back in and seems to be slow growing now, but it's come in with full coverage. It's probably just over an inch long and starting to show some wave. There might be a bit of actual curl going on in the back, but again it's pretty short so hard to tell.

People continually compliment me on it, which is nice in a way. But also I'd just as soon not have to respond to that and remember each time just WHY my hair is so frigging short.

My eyelashes and brows did come out again, though not as dramatically as they did 3 weeks PFC, since they weren't quite synced into the same schedule and also there was a ready supply to grow in right behind them. The lashes are short now, but fully filled in. My brows are a bit sparse. I use Benefit brand eyebrow powder to fill them in and they look great.

Looking into January, I'll need a good hair cut pretty soon. And I'm considering getting some teal highlights for fun. I've never spent much on hair care (and nothing at all for cuts since April!) so it might be time to indulge myself.

• dogmomrunner
    dogmomrunner Member Posts: 492
    Options

Hi everyone! I am almost 4 months out and my hair is about an inch long. The top is a bit longer. It's starting to curl up a bit. The color is darker than it was pre chemo and there's more gray. My hair pre chemo was just above the shoulder and very curly. I had to keep it longer so the weight would pull the curl out some. I plan on keeping it short for now. It's been so long since it was short, I'd forgotten how easy it was to deal with

• mountainmia
    Options

I need some "product" advice. My pre-cancer hair was shoulder length, naturally straight, fairly shiny, mid-brown. NOW it is a little more than an inch long, wavy of course, same color.

It is weird and wavy and fuzzy. I'm not ready to get it cut yet. The fuzziness of it makes it unruly and also a bit dull looking.

What hair products can be used to give it a little shape and shine? This is something I have NO experience with. Any advice will be appreciated.

• ingerp
    ingerp Member Posts: 1,514
    Options

I'm about 17 months PFC and while my hair has started to relax some and has some length, it's definitely not what it used to be. What I've been using is some kind of hair oil most days. I used to have pretty soft hair but it's definitely drier/scratchier. In fact, I've had a few color appointments the last six months (still no hair cut!), and at the last one, my hair lady suggested I get a deep conditioning the next time I'm there (<--not sure what that even is--never had it before). I don't have a particular brand to recommend--I use a variety. And if you don't use too much, your hair doesn't look greasy. (I keep thinking maybe on days I'm not going out I should maybe use a whole bunch? Or maybe some home hair masque treatment or something? That might help too.)

• dogmomrunner
    dogmomrunner Member Posts: 492
    Options

I had very curly hair prior to chemo so I can tell you what I used. Curly tends to be dry so I used conditioner after washing (washed it every day) and then I would mix up some leave in conditioner and a little bit of gel and use that to style. The leave in I used/use is Giovanni (I can find it online or at a Publix grocery store) and the gel could be anything that was non drying and for flexible hold. I never brushed especially once it was dry.

I hope that helps

• debal
    debal Member Posts: 600
    Options

hey ingerp, I know what you mean. I get a deep conditioner at the salon every 8 weeks when I go for color. Still no cut 19 months PFC. I actually leave with it wet in my hair (later appt) since I'm just going home. I only wash it every other day.

Oh, and duh. I use my real hair wig shampoo and conditioner. Very moisturing, parapen free and its easier to get the tangles out that are still very tight underneath.

I also will spray with argan oil once a week and air dry. A diffuser for the hairdryer definitely help my curls stsy soft and not dry and frizzy. I dry just enough to get dampness out. Good luck!

• BellasMomToo
    BellasMomToo Member Posts: 93
    Options

MountainMia: My normal hair is straight. For my 'chemo curls', I used Bumble and Bumble's "Don't blow it (H)air styler". There is a fine hair version and a thick hair version. I used the fine hair version. You can find it at Ulta or Sephora.

My chemo curls were never really tight or too dry. They were more like soft, loose curls. This B&B product made my hair look more controlled.

• mountainmia
    Options

Thanks for the ideas, Ingerp, DogMomRunner, DebAL, and BellasMomToo. Today I trimmed the "sideburns" slightly, which helped neaten up around my face. I'll look tomorrow to see if there is a gel or hair oil that calls to me. And then some time in January, an actual hair cut with an actual stylist, to reshape things.

Thanks again.

• laurencl
    laurencl Member Posts: 203
    Options

Just had mine colored and “cut” today....more like shaped up. 6 months post chemo. I had it colored in November after my last radiation treatment and ditched my wig that day. It is short....but it’s hair

• santabarbarian
    santabarbarian Member Posts: 2,310
    Options

I am 13 mos PFC, and though I had it cut once to shape it, since then then I've just trimmed the back myself to de-mullet it as it has grown longer. Back is blunt cut, past my earlobes by about 2" w/ layers growing out above that. My one year hair growth is about 6" on the parts that have not been cut. My hair is mostly back to its old consistency but a little more body and wave. It was formerly stick straight and baby fine - now there is a little more volume. Came in a dark iron grey that I have decided not to color because it looks ok.

Mia -- in the awkward no style months I mostly went with the slicked-back Miami Vice look. I use "got2Bglued" spiking glue (yellow tube). It's sticky going on but dries 'crisp'

My short hair style icon is Sharon Stone... she does a lot of slicked back or tousled looks.

• ipenelope
    Options

1 year ago today I buzzed my hair as it was starting to fall out and thought it would be better just getting rid of it. I very clearly remember sitting in the chair at the salon, with my kids wth me as the stylist buzzed my hair and we all cried. It seems like yesterday but also forever ago. Today im rocking a short, wavy pixie cut which I love!! Who would have thought!!

I hope everyone is doing good in 2020 and keep kicking cancer's ass!!!🥊🥊🥊

~Katie💗

• margun
    margun Member Posts: 385
    Options

is anyone on antihormonal pills experiencing hair thinning loss. What can be done to prevent it?