Come join others currently navigating treatment in our weekly Zoom Meetup! Register here: Tuesdays, 1pm ET.
Fill Out Your Profile to share more about you. Learn more...

Starting Radiation October 2019

Options

Comments

• kamboka
    kamboka Member Posts: 1,053
    Options

mocame, I did try melatonin a few months ago and had a reaction similar to the one I had with CBD. It made me jittery and I couldn't sleep.

Petite1: is the dermatologist sure it's cancer without the biopsy. Surprised they would start the chemo meds without knowing.

My work laptop died this week. The replacement died yesterday. Now all I have is my kindle so my messages might be short until I can get a keyboard.

• Togethertolearn
    Togethertolearn Member Posts: 224
    Options

petite1 Maybe you could call your oncology navigator/nurse, (or whatever those fabulous people are called where you are), and ask him/her their opinion on the skin spot? You can't be the first patient of theirs to have a similar issue, I'm thinking.

• petite1
    petite1 Member Posts: 2,200
    Options

Togethertolearn, I do have a navigator and will check with her. Since I am freckled, I can't tell what spots to be the stuff on. If it is OK to freeze it on the side with missing lymph nodes, I will.

Kambok, Too bad about the sleeplessness. I keep having bad dreams. I am not sure if it is because of my emotions or from the hormonal therapy. She calls the spots precancerous. In the past, I have had a squamous cell spot and a basal cell spot. She did biopsy those.

• TeriJ
    TeriJ Member Posts: 44
    Options

Hello everyone,

I’ve been reading through your posts and there are so many. There is a lot of helpful information. I’m preparing to begin rads later this month and am wondering what you recommend as far as cream to apply to help with my skin. I’ve started stretching exercises as my incisions allow, and am doing some strengthening as well. My lumpectomy was three weeks ago and I’m waiting on Oncotype results. I appreciate each of you and these forums for giving me so much information. However, I do find it to be very overwhelming. I’m sure many of you are very happy to be nearing the end of your course of rads or to be finished with them!
    Thank you for your help.

Teri

• mocame
    mocame Member Posts: 554
    Options

TeriJ - Hello! Your dx is very similar to my 2nd and most recent dx. How many sessions are you having? I had 30 sessions (25 regular radiation and 5 boosts). My RO nurse told me I could use Aveeno or Eucerin lotions and Aquaphor and to apply them at least 2 times a day. Do not apply lotions within 4 hours of radiation treatment. I used Aveeno during the day and Aquaphor at night for a total of 4 times. I applied the lotions after my shower in the morning (6:00AMish), 10:00 AM at work, 3:00-4:00PM immediately after the session when I was getting dressed, and then Aquaphor when I getting ready for bed (8:30PMish). That schedule worked well for me. I used hydrocortisone cream on any itchy spots and Neosporin on any spots that had peeled or when I had scratched some skin off accidently. Those should be applied OVER TOP the lotion. My RO's PA told me that applying 4 times a day is probably why my skin faired so well.

If you have any other questions, please let us know! Best wishes!

• petite1
    Options

TeriJ, Aquaphor was the best for me. My skin got pretty bad by the time I was ready for the 5 boost treatments. I used Aquaphor 2x a day. It ruins your clothes, but saves your skin.

• TeriJ
    Options

Thank you mocame and petite! I will have 15 plus the 5 boosts. I’m so dreading it. I’m a tennis player and was hoping to be able to play during rads, but from the sound of it, running and swinging a racquet might be out of the question. I’ll grab some Aquaphor and have Aveeno. I might start now with applying as I live in Colorado and my skin is already dry as can be. Do you ladies apply the creams to your back also? I’m assuming breast, armpit, and surrounding areas, but I wonder about my back opposite my treated breast. Mocame, thank you for the details. Very helpful. I have only met preliminarily with my RO once so I don’t have any details other than 4 wks of treatment. Do they also radiate your armpit? My node was negative, but I am a grade 2 so they Did take sentinel node.
    Have a nice Monday

• mocame
    Options

TeriJ - I did have my armpit area radiated but that was because they took out lymph nodes during my first dx. Since they already took them out the 1st time, this time they just radiated that area. That was my worst area because it doesn't get as much air and gets lots of friction from arm movement. Not everyone gets their armpit area radiated. If they do radiate your armpit area, make sure you try and keep your arm away from your body (looks awkward sometimes) and give it plenty of air. I walked around my house in a cami and kept my arm propped up so it was away from my body if I was watching tv.

I didn't have hardly any burning until I was about 3 weeks in and kept exercising during the whole 6 weeks of radiation. I would ask your RO about the possibility of playing tennis. When I exercised, the only time I didn't use my arms much was during the worst time of the arm pit area burn. It felt like my skin was about to crack open. Once it started to peel, that area was looser and I had more range of motion without the feeling of tightness.

I hope that helps. Let us know when you start.

• thisiknow
    thisiknow Member Posts: 88
    Options

TeriJ ...I had 16 Rad treatments plus 4 Boosts to the scars only (not to nodes). So that's 20 in all and I had virtually nothing to worry about. I had a little itching off and on the last couple of weeks but really nothing bothersome. On the last day of regular rads I got a little rash across the middle of my chest but it was gone within 3 days. I don't think I really needed any lotion at all but the only thing I used was some pure Aloe because my RO said to use it (twice a day). I had gotten all the lotions mentioned here but didn't need them. For me, Rads was easy-peasy but part of that was because although I got the same dose of those getting 33 treatments, I got it in 20 so didn't get all the negative effects one can expect with longer treatment. Good luck I hope you do well!

Let us know!

• Togethertolearn
    Togethertolearn Member Posts: 224
    Options

TeriJ ... I used plain Cetaphil but squirted it on super thick (only at night without rubbing it in at all, then covered with plastic wrap (so wrap laid on top of layer of lotion) it kept my breast moist all night. I started doing the same right after radiation the last week and a half of radiation too. I had no issues on my breast skin at all, for me this process worked amazingly with my skin: I never even peeled or burned, the most was a little red in color.

• TeriJ
    Options

Thank you all so much!! I am very hopeful I will breeze through it like thisiknow and together.., but am now prepared for anything that comes. I got the lotion today and even found a cool spray on Aquaphor. I’m going to try and just stay positive because I believe in mind over matter. And, well, letting the negative creep in doesn’t seem to do any good.

Tomorrow is my first full week back to work. I hope all of you have a nice week and I’ll keep you in my thoughts and prayers.

Thank you again for the useful information and for your support.
    ter

• kamboka
    Options

TeriJ: don't worry. Radiation was like a piece of cake for me. I did 30 sessions. I had three areas -- clavicle, underarm and breast. I used my own concoction of coconut oil with calendula oil. I had no problems until I finished. A lot of my skin peeled around the breast but it didn't hurt. The exercises will help. I was doing PT/OR weekly.

• thisiknow
    thisiknow Member Posts: 88
    Options

Remember, we don't know about our long-term Rad effects yet, which can happen at a year or more.. One of my docs even ordered an Echocardiogram because "radiation can damage the heart" she told me.

• TeriJ
    Options

Thisiknow: that is certainly a big worry. It seems like each Dr in their specialty is focused on getting rid of the cancer, which is great, but still there are risks. And I realize they are weighing the risks but we need to know all about those as well. Making informed decisions one day at a time is our job.

In the meantime, my feet have never been so soft (and slippery) now that I have Aquaphor! 😉

• kamboka
    Options

TeriJ: I had hand and foot syndrome due to taxotere. Palms of hand and soles of feet peeled. They were so sore but now they are so pink and smooth. I guess I had an expensive and painful exfoliation.

Thisiknow: yes, it would be long term problems. If you had left side radiation, the 'red devil's and some AIs, we need to keep an eye on heart function.

• petite1
    Options

TeriJ, They did not radiate my armpit, but it did peel closest to the wound site. It tanned on the other side closest to my back. It is still tan and the peeled area is very white. I was pretty active through radiation, except for a couple of Saturdays. Aquaphor works great. I use it on my feet and old lady hands. It keeps them soft. I still use it on my post radiation breast. During radiation it did put it on the other breast to protect it. My worse skin time was at the very end, but I made it, as we all did, and you will too.

• kamboka
    Options

petite1: How are you doing 'emotionally'? Were you able to get your mom's affairs in order? Sorry it took me so long to ask you. I've not had my computer for over a week and was just using a phone to check and write messages during that time. I got the new computer today so I'm back in business.

• TeriJ
    Options

kamboka: that is quite an exfoliation!

Petite1: You are right, I will make it through just like all of you. I’m so sorry about your mother. My thoughts and prayers are with you.

• petite1
    Options

Kamboka, I am hanging in there. It certainly is draining. I had a couple of meltdowns, but that seems to be passing. I am trying to stay focused on the tasks at hand.

My affected side is tingling today, arm, ribs and breast. I have an appointment with the MO next week

• kamboka
    Options

petite1: Time doesn't heal but it makes things bearable. Is your appointment a special one or your regular check up? My three month one is at the end of the month. Maybe it's your nerves trying to come back alive. I forget sometimes that a large area on my side is numb since it doesn't bother me at this time.

TeriJ: Yep, I loved the exfoliation. The only good thing coming from my taxane treatments. :) I do have the foot neuropathy to thank taxane for everyday.

• petite1
    Options

Kamboka. It is not tingling this morning. Yay. It is just a follow up appointment.

• kamboka
    Options

petite1: Everyday with no tingling is a good day!

• kamboka
    Options

petite1: Have you had your doctor's appointment? If so, hope things went well.

I'm in the middle of mattress woos. I gave away my old mattress on Saturday because I bought another mattress in a box that I though would be nice and firm. Turns out, it was too cushy. I called Amazon Sunday and they have agreed to come pick it up this Friday. That means I need another mattress. So today, I went to a 'real' store and laid on a few. I found one that seems firm enough. They will be delivering it on Thursday. I am having more insomnia with the medication. The CPAP is not helping. Night sweats are not helping. My PCP refuses to give me Ambien even though she only allowed me 30-60 a year. That's the only thing that gets me about three good hours of sleep. Let's hope this mattress works out.

• mocame
    Options

Kamboka - I'm sorry you are having sleeping issues. That's tough. I'm really tired from the night sweats and I think I get more than 3 hours in between all the tossing, turning, and throwing off/on the covers. You must be exhausted. Your PCP doesn't have any other suggestions of something you can take? Hopefully your new mattress will help. Are you exercising at all? I went from being a person who is really cold ALL the time (I wear 2 or 3 layers in our house in the winter) to wearing 3/4 length sleeve tops to work and a cami to bed at night...in the middle of winter! My family doesn't know what to think. My hot flashes have improved the past 2 days and nights. I didn't do anything different so I'm not sure why they are better. I did hear some people say that their hot flashes/night sweats leveled off after a little bit and were more doable. I'm hoping that is the case with me. Let us know how you make out with the new mattress.

• petite1
    Options

Kamboka, The derm said I need to do the chemo cream. First, 2 weeks on my face, then 4 weeks on my arms. So I will look like I have been boiled in oil for about 6 weeks. This, too will pass.

• kamboka
    Options

mocame: I was LOL reading your description of trying to sleep. It's the same for me. I'm wearing cotton everything. the new mattress comes tomorrow. I'm keeping my fingers crossed. Some days are not as bad as others so I hope we both get some relief. I'm just dreading summer when I can't take off any more clothes.

petite1: At least your boiled oil situation happens in the winter. I can't imagine it being hot outside with all that oil. I've had to stop puttin on my ccocnut/calendula oil concortion at night since it just cause more night sweating.

• petite1
    Options

Good morning ladies. I guess I don't have the hot flashes as much as you two, because I am older, LOL I does not sound pleasant.

• kamboka
    Options

petite1: I am 60 so I'm the oldest. :) A few years ago, I started taking bioidentical hormones for the hot flashes, depression and low libido d/t menopause. It really worked and I was feeling good. No more tossing bed linen on and off all night d/t night sweats. Now, they are milking every little bit of estrogen from me. My ER/PR was almost 100%. I hope you are spared the flashes.

• petite1
    Options

Kamboka, I am 66 and did have hot flashes for about 15 - 20 years. I am glad this hormone therapy is not giving me any. I used to hate it when I was working, get one and start turning red and dripping with sweat. I remember sitting in a meeting, sweating to death. I got up from the chair and left a wet spot on the seat. I am sure my co-workers thought I wet my pants. So glad that is over!

• kamboka
    Options

petite1; I hope you continue not to have any flashes. During my 'regular' menopause, I had night sweats but not really many hot flashes during the day. So, this is new to me. I hope it passes quickly. I have my new mattress, a new pad, new pillows--let's see if I can get any more sleep than usual.