Come join others currently navigating treatment in our weekly Zoom Meetup! Register here: Tuesdays, 1pm ET.
Fill Out Your Profile to share more about you. Learn more...

Starting Radiation October 2019

Options

Comments

• petite1
    petite1 Member Posts: 2,200
    Options

I hope so, Kamboka. I have a "My Pillow" mattress top and love it.

• kamboka
    kamboka Member Posts: 1,053
    Options

petite1: I bought some kind of bamboo mattress pad to go over my regular mattress pad. The 3 inch 'expensive' mattress topper I had was too soft. I have 10 pillows and not one is comfortable. I just bought the last two over the weekend. I might try the MyPillow next. Do you have one of them?

• petite1
    Options

Hi, Kamboka. I have 2 my pillows and so does my husband. He loves them, but just a pillow to me. The topper is wonderful for me.

• mocame
    mocame Member Posts: 554
    Options

I've heard good things about MyPillow but I've never used them. I hope you can get some sleep soon!

• kamboka
    Options

I'm going to go out and buy two MyPillows this weekend. The local Bed Bath and Beyond is going out of business and has sales. I was in there last weekend and say the pillows. It couldn't hurt to try. If it doesn't work, I'll just have added two more pillows to my 10 pillow collection.

• petite1
    Options

I hope they work. When you order online, they need your size, how you sleep, etc. to send the correct pillow. I guess there might be a chart or something in the store. My husband has big firm pillows and mine are smaller and flat. He loves his. Mine are just OK.

• kamboka
    Options

I decided to order online instead of going to the store. They are coming from Walmart and are called classic firm. I'll see next week when they arrive. It might be another two to add to my pillow collection. :)

• petite1
    Options

I probably would have slept ok, but weird nightmares woke me up twice. Not sure if it was Arimidex or Publix fried chicken.

• mocame
    Options

So I had to schedule an appointment next week with my BS. Found a small lump on my breast and I'm going to get it checked out. It just showed up about a week ago. There was another one near it that had popped up a couple days later but that one has gone down some since then. This one hasn't changed. It's small, about the size of a grain of rice. Hopefully nothing, but I worry. Ugh!

• kamboka
    Options

mocame: That the unaffected breast, correct? When was the last mammogram for that breast? I think this is why my second opinion MO said she likes to have the mammogram exactly one year after diagnosis regardless of when we finish radiation. I've been told it would be six months after rads. I hope it's nothing serious. What day is your appointment? I have my quarterly MO appointment on Wednesday. I'm going to push for mammogram, bone scan, chest xray and heart echo. Let's see what I get.

I hope you don't worry too much this weekend. The odds are in our favor.

petite1: It's probably the chicken. :) Now you have me craving some.

• mocame
    Options

Actually the lump is on the cancer side. I had a bmx with my first dx so I don't get mammograms anymore. I was examined a month ago by my RO's PA and everything was fine. Literally showed up a week ago. It's small and I'm hoping it's nothing but I can't find any information about lumps that show up after radiation without it mentioning recurrence. I've already had 1 recurrence...I don't even want to consider it being another one. Praying it's something I haven't heard or read about yet.

Petite1 - My vote is for the chicken also. :)

• kamboka
    Options

mocame: I'm hoping it's just some fatty necrosis. If it's on your radiated side, it could also just be some kind of inflammation. On my radiated side, my old scars- from a previous reduction--are bulging and what seems like stretch marks have also bulged. I have a hard time distinguishing my lumps as both my breasts feel lumpy. I suppose it's easier for you to feel abnormalities since you've had the bmx. I do hope it's nothing as I understand completely about what kind of mental havoc that would cause. It's almost like we lived through the last year on adrenaline, got our treatment and though we were normal. We don't want to go back to adrenaline!

• petite1
    Options

mocame, Hopefully it is changing breast tissue from radiation and surgery. I get hard lumps around the scar. They seem to come and go, so I think it might be fluid and or part of the healing. I do pray it works out to be nothing to worry about.

• kamboka
    Options

mocame: Did you see your doctor yet? If so, how did it go?

petite1: How are you?

I saw the PA for the MO today for my three month visit. She says that they will not do the mammogram till later this year and the bone scan every two years. They did not even do labwork. The breast surgeon is not very communcative and her office never told me to schedule a follow up. I asked the PA what was the purpose of my coming in every three months if I don't see the MO, get no labs, no scans. She did say she will give me a antidepressant to try to help with the flashes/sweats. I am having O2 de-saturation again--twice this week it's been in the low 80s. She said I'd have to get a pulmonogist to order a chest x-ray. I wanted a script for my Ambien but she says it's my PCP who does that. It is way too much compartmentalization in medicine nowadays. What a wasted trip. However, I did like the PA. It was the first time I had met her and she did take a lot of time to listen and explain things. She is booking me for a 'survivorship' session with her. I asked why they didn't do that right after I finished radiation and if I had not brought this up, might never has known that I was supposed to schedule that appointment.

• TeriJ
    TeriJ Member Posts: 44
    Options

well, today was day 2 of 19 radiation tx’s. Did any of you feel your arm hair stand up and an electric feeling like a static shock during radiation? I have both times. And, I’m not an emotional person and I have been crying off and on all night since I got home from radiation. I’m a wreck!! I expected radiation to be no big deal, but it’s all surreal and I can’t help but think “what am I doing to myself?” I know it’s supposed to kill the rogue cancer cells but I’m just having a really tough night. I guess I’m going to go to bed early. Tomorrow is a new day. I’ll go lube up my skin and take a melatonin. I hope I’m not this emotional for the next month! Can’t wait for the AI meds to start....not

• mocame
    Options

TeriJ - I didn't have the electric feeling with my radiation but I did get teary and emotional on my first and last treatment. The first treatment because the reality of my recurrence hit and the last one because I made it through radiation. Cancer is a big emotional rollercoaster. Tears are normal. :)

Well, I met with my BS today. I showed her the 3 lumps I had found. She was not concerned about the smallest one. It looked like a raised hair follicle...kind of like when you get goosebumps. The other two were larger. She said none of them, when she looked at them, immediately thought they looked like cancer. She said if it was a normal patient, she wouldn't be concerned about them. BUT, since it's me and my history, she is a little more concerned. She said I can either wait and watch them or have a punch biopsy of one of them. I chose the biopsy. Unfortunately, she couldn't get me in until 2/11. I meet with my new MO next week and my BS will have her look at them too and see what she thinks. My BS is meeting with my new MO today and will talk with her. My BS says that my new MO is great, so that's good news. I, on the other hand, am an emotional wreck right now.

• petite1
    Options

TeriJ, My first weekend after radiation I thought I was going to die. I could not get out of bed and when I did I was dizzy. My husband had to help me back. It ended up I was dehydrated and had a urinary infection. I didn't have electric shock feelings, but sometimes very tired and cold. Drink lots of fluids. Walk everyday. Take care of yourself.

mocame, Praying about your biopsy. I had something like a pimple show up on breast. I left off Aquaphor for a couple of days and it seems to be clearing up.

Kamboka, O2 in 80's. WOW. Are they putting you on oxygen? My follow up with MO was the 16th. They did labs. I don't go back until April 16. I need to get mamo and bone scan before I go. He wants my PCP to order them due to insurance. I have finished the awful chemo skin cream on my face and now starting on my arms. The Dermatologist says I should be cleared up by the end of March. We will be having Mom's service the first weekend in April. No one wants to have it in the snow. I did finally get someone to do an estate sale and probate is crawling along.

• kamboka
    Options

TeriJ: Sorry you are having those weird feelings. Perhaps it's anxiety and will settle down as you get in the routine of rads. I must admit that out of all my treatment experiences last year, rads was the best. I didn't have any side effects and the team were the best. I felt sad at the end as I would not see these folks daily again. Any yes, aren't we all so happy to be on AIs. :)

mocame; I didn't know you were getting a new MO. I do hope you like that person and it's a good fit for you. I like my MO but can't understand why they won't do anything in the quarterly visits. I can't depend on my PCP as she gets booked up six months out. I'm keeping my fingers crossed that the bumps are not anything serious. You'll know if a few weeks. I know it will feel like forever before the 11th comes.

petite1: It's taking so long to get rid of those skin problems from rads. Since you finished your face, does that mean, it got cleared up? My skin is itchy and will turn bright red in a heart beat--i'm olive complected but I think it's just the winter weather. I'm sure you will feel better and have some closure after you do your mom's services. Working on the estate and probate can be stressful as well. At Christmas time, my mom and I went to meet with a funeral home. We didn't make our plans but let him know we'd be using him. I thought I'd be sad about that but we both 'enjoyed' our outing. We even went to a few cemeteries to try to find a place we liked. I've been working on a chart with all my assets so I can give to my brother and sister. I realized that many of my accounts are online only so how would they know how to get things.

By the way, I saw a cardiologist today and he did the ECHO. Everything looks good, he said. Next is trying to get my chest x-ray. I worry more about having something like pneumonitis from chemo/rads than the heart.

• TeriJ
    TeriJ Member Posts: 44
    Options

Mocame, kamboka, and petite, thank you all for your comforting info. I had two days of crying but I’m Me now. I didn’t wear my watch or jewelry and applied lotion to my dry arms prior to rads today and I had less feeling during treatment.

Mocame: I hope your biopsy turns out negative. I’m sorry you are having to deal with this and I hope you have a better day tomorrow.

Petite: I hope your skin issues clear up soon.

Kamboka: I hope you don’t have pneumoniitis and that you get that sorted out.

TGIF everyone.

• kamboka
    Options

TeriJ: Glad you got a little relief with the lotion. Hoping that next week goes better for you. Before you know it, your 19 sessions will be over.

• petite1
    Options

Not sure what happened to my post it fell off. My current skin issues are not from the Rad, but the Dermatologist. LOL

• kamboka
    Options

It's always something! Hope the next area clears up.

• petite1
    Options

TeriJ, Anymore strange feelings during RAD?

Kamboka, I did pre-need planning and pre-paid when I was about 62. I figured it would be easier for those left behind. I am not planning to use it anytime soon.

Mocame, any changes?

• mocame
    Options

Hello, petite1 - No. No changes. I have my bone density scan and meeting with my new MO on Wednesday. She is going to look at the lumps too and I will try and get an opinion from her. I want to call my BS and ask for 2 of the lumps to be biopsied instead of just one. It's for my peace of mind. I don't know if it's the meds, my busy work schedule, or just the possibility of another recurrence, but I have been down in the dumps the past few days. At work I just don't really want to talk to anybody and want to just get my work done. I've even started going through my house this past weekend and getting rid of things. I actually was thinking about the possibility of this being the start of the end and what do I want to leave with my kids and what funeral arrangements do I want. I know these lumps may be nothing. But if it is cancer again, this would be the 3rd time and my brain is just going there.

Enough about me...You have had a lot of your plate too? How are you?

TeriJ - How is radiation going?

Kamboka - How are you doing? Do you have your chest x-ray scheduled yet?

• kamboka
    Options

mocame: It's not unusual to "go there" especially when there is a possibility of a recurrence. However, I'm sorry you are having to go through this but hopeful that Wednesday and after the biopsies, you will get a reprieve. One thing to note. Your AI might also be causing some of the 'down in the dumps' feelings. I am feeling depressed about the possibility of having to go years feeling so bad (flashes, joint pain, etc.). I wasn't depressed at all the entire 2019 even iwth chemo, surgery and rads. Work is not fun and I'm almost in tears a few times during the day. I have a dream of just going to work and then quitting. Of course, in this scenario, I have enough money to live off of and have great health insurance. Until that happens, I guess I'll just have to take the anti-depressant and keep on working.

petite1: Maybe my next step will be the pre-need. I'd like to also plan my services--for when that time comes--but I'm a procrastinator. :)

• mocame
    Options

Kamboka, it might be the drugs because I can relate to the work issues and tears lately. If only we were independently wealthy with great health insurance! LOL! I'm like you and need to keep working because our health insurance, and paying for treatment, relies on me. Besides work, how are YOU doing? :)

• kamboka
    Options

I left work early today as I am having bouts of shortness of breath and O2 de-saturation again. I got another doctor to order my chest x-ray but it was for another hospital that not as close as where I usually go. I paid Uber and went. You never know when you'll get the results and I'll have to follow up in a few days. I was up again last night or rather early this morning for hours. I just feel so exhausted. My MO ordered Celexa to try to help with the hot flashes but possible side effects are hot flashes, joint pains, fatigue, depression--all the things I'm trying to get rid of.

mocame: tomorrow is your appointment, right. I'll be on standby to hear what they have to say.

• mocame
    Options

Yes, I meet with my new MO tomorrow and she is supposed to look at the lumps. I also have my bone density test tomorrow before meeting her.

Kamboka - I'm so sorry you are going through this! I don't know anything about O2 desaturation but it sounds scary. I hope you can get some rest soon. It's funny that they give you medication for side effects that have the same side effects. LOL. It all comes down to each person reacting to each medication differently. Please let us know what the results of your chest x-ray is.

• petite1
    Options

Kamboka, Did you get the results?

mocambe, I go to the PCP in the morning. Need mamo, bone scan, and time for colonoscopy. yuck

• mocame
    Options

I had my bone density test this afternoon and just saw my results online. So, from what I can figure out, my spine is in the normal range but I may have osteopenia in both hips. After the bone density test, I saw my new MO today and I really like her! She looked at my lumps and said that she would be surprised if they turned out to be cancer. We will see. She said that due to my recurrence history, I should stay on the Arimidex for AT LEAST 10 years. Ugh! She offered to give me a prescription for Effexor for the hot flashes but I said I wanted to wait and see if they, along with the hair loss, get better over the next couple months. She also suggested I get my ovaries out and was thrilled that I already had a consultation scheduled with a specific surgeon on Monday. She said he is very good, which is what I had already heard from a couple people. I'm supposed to get in to see my PCP to check my thyroid again. She said it could be contributing to my SEs. So, overall, it was a good appointment!

Petite! - Fun times! LOL! Why is it that those tests come again so quickly!

Kamboka - How are you feeling today?