Come join others currently navigating treatment in our weekly Zoom Meetup! Register here: Tuesdays, 1pm ET.
Fill Out Your Profile to share more about you. Learn more...

Starting Radiation October 2019

Options

Comments

• Spoonie77
    Spoonie77 Member Posts: 532
    Options

Mocame -> the diagram was drawn by my RO for my treatments so it's not going to apply to yours except for in general terms of course. :)

What she had drawn out for me is that I would be getting four fields of radiation during my treatments. That meant when I was in the room on the table they ended up moving the machine four different times and I'd have four different breath holds while they treated me. Only one beam of radiation per time I believe.

The lines she Drew on the diagram there represent those different angles, not specifically of course because it's just a drawing but she was just trying to give me an idea of how the radiation works, how the machine positioning works, and a general overview of the process.

I'm not sure if any of that helps you but it helped me just to understand that the radiation was very pinpointed and that there was nothing that I could do to screw things up. The machines I was treated with started and stopped only when I was in a certain "gated"/predetermined set area fo Rads to be emitted. And that gate was determined by all of the data they input into the computers and the machines they planned and came up with the gate where it's safe for the radiation to be administered. That was the safe zone so to speak...where my lungs and heart were most out of that zone. And that's when they would tell me to take a breath in, in order to get me into my specific "gated" zone, then tell me to hold it and i would hold my breath for 7-20 secs and they would zap me, move the machine, zap, rinse and repeat.

• mocame
    mocame Member Posts: 554
    Options

Spoonie77 - Thank you for the explanation! I get it!

• kamboka
    kamboka Member Posts: 1,052
    Options

Starting the week with my 0800 appointment. It was so nice to have a weekend of sleeping later and no breath holding.

Hope everyone else has a great week.

Mocame: Good luck with your first session.

• mocame
    Options

1/30 now complete. I went to work and then had a genetics dr appt before my radiation. I had BRCA1&2 testing done when I had my first dx 11 years ago. It was negative but there still is more and more cancer showing up in my family. So there is more testing being done with BRCA then there was 11 years ago and more gene mutations have been found since. So I had to have that bloodwork done after the appt. The vein in my hand blew out and they had to try another vein in my hand. I have very small veins and they usually can only get the ones in my hand and now those veins have been stuck so many times lately... My hand is black and blue and red and sore.

The radiation treatment was uneventful. They put a bolus (?spelling) on me when doing the radiation. They said I would only have that on every other day. Does everyone have those for their radiation treatment? I can't say that I have heard of people talking about it here.

• kamboka
    Options

mocame: I cringed when I read about your vein problems. So sorry. It's such a shame that now, at least one arm is off limits.

How long will it take to get the genetics test back? If it's positive, will that mean anything in the near term?

I have a thingy that they sit on my stomach. The tech said it was to monitor my breathing. What is the purpose of the bolus?

• mocame
    Options

They said the genetics test results should come back in 1 to 3 weeks. If it comes back positive, I'll probably have my ovaries taken out. There are other cancers that are in my family...colon, prostate, pancreatic, and possibly uterine cancer so if anything like that comes back, it will mean closer monitoring of me.

I wasn't sure what the bolus is for but I found this article that mentions it: https://www.breastcancer.org/treatment/radiation/t...

• kamboka
    Options

mocame: Will keep my fingers crossed that it comes back negative.

I have two tattoos on either side of my stomach. I think they put something on them each time. I'll have to ask them what that is. It might be this bolus that we are discussing.

I see the doctor and NP on Mondays. The NP said my skin was holding up really well. I laughed and said "it's only the first week". I would hope the skin was holding up!

• mocame
    Options

The bolus is a white sheet of what looks like soft plastic. It is cold and sticky and shapes to the contour of the breast and whole radiated area. Also, a physicist was brought in to show them where to put the stickers that would measure the radiation dose. That felt a little awkward but probably just on my part. :)

• kamboka
    Options

I will ask them today how they are measuring the amount of radiation.

Two of my technicians are men and the doctor is also. I try not to think of the fact that we are all having a conversation with both my boobs hanging out. :)

• thisiknow
    thisiknow Member Posts: 88
    Options

This Aquaphor is mighty thick. I'd like to thin it down a bit with some Coconut oil. Does anybody know what's a good ratio of Aquaphor to Coconut? And can it be thinned enough to spray it?

• kamboka
    Options

thisiknow: I'm not sure about what that mixture would look like. I suppose you could test a little aquaphor with some drops of coconut oil to see the consistency. I have aquaphor but am choosing to use my own mixture of coconut oil with calendula oil. So far, it's oily but it goes away quicker than the aquaphor.

mocame: I asked the technician about the bolus. He said I wasn't using one. According to him, we are using a new generation machine that doesn't require it. He said the hospital had just purchased it last year so we could do the breath holding. He said the old machine did not have the capacity for the person to hold breath. Today was my weekly x-rays and it went really fast. My workload is increasing and I will need to get up earlier to start work. I'm thinking about changing my treatment time from 0800 to early afternoon. I'll see if they have an available slot for me then. Besides, the morning commute is wearing me out. There is less traffic on the train in the early afternoon.

• mocame
    Options

#3/30 done! They said today I shouldn't have any side effects for another 1 to 2 weeks.

Kamboka - I asked my techs today about the bolus. They said that since I'm not doing the breathing technique, the bolus keeps the radiation closer to the skin and not go deeper towards the organs. They only do it every other day. I was supposed to see my radiation oncologist today and wanted to ask about the chances of the radiation hitting my heart or lungs since I'm not doing the breath hold. I waited about a 1/2 hour to talk to the oncologist only to find out she wasn't in today and another oncologist was there and she couldn't talk to me about it since she didn't do my treatment plan. I have a great tech team, though. They are very friendly, they take me as soon as I get there, no matter how early (I haven't hit traffic the past 2 days. Woohoo!), and then get me out early too. Yay! I like how friendly everyone is. I'm already on first name basis with, the techs, the check-in staff, and some of the valet parking attendants. They have free valet parking for any patients of the Cancer Institute.

thisiknow - I agree that the Aquaphor is really thick. I put some on my fingers and work it around with my thumb and then applied it. Worked out fine then. I hope your treatments are going well!

• mpv459
    mpv459 Member Posts: 83
    Options

Saw my radiologist today.. Will not start until November 6th... Rats.

• kamboka
    Options

mocame: Congrats on getting started. You are 10% done. :) I think this journey makes one instant friends with many people we would not ordinarily be friends with.

I should be keeping up with my sessions. I think I'm #7/30.

Today I talked to the technicians about changing to the early afternoon. I think they have space but I told them I'd confirm tomorrow or Friday. If I do it, I'll start on Monday. I had my OT for pre-lymphedema and PT for back today. I think the stretches are helping me keep my range of motion. I'm glad I started.

• kamboka
    Options

mpv459: When did you hope to have started? Was the delay d/t the time out from chemo?

• thisiknow
    thisiknow Member Posts: 88
    Options

Kamboka and mocame... thanks for your imput on mixing the lotions with carrier oils. Any more opinions are welcome and wishing you guys all the best

My rads start date is 28 (Mon) and programmed as such in Settings, and not the 27th (Sun) which shows up below... don't know why the wrong date is showing or how that could even happen

• mocame
    Options

mpv459 - Sorry about the delay in rads. That's a bummer. Keep in the Sept and Oct rads threads and you should be a pro at knowing what is supposed to happen when you start. :)

Kamboka - Congrats on reach 25% done! I like the afternoon rads because I also need to work full-time and I'm more energetic in the morning than later in the afternoon. Then after rads is done, I can just go home. Traffic isn't good, though, for me in the afternoon but at least I know I don't have to deal with that and then go back to work. Is your OT and PT because of rads? Preventative?

I hope everyone has a great day!

• mpv459
    Options

Has anyone had to get a petscan between chemo and rads to restage?? No symptoms but petscan scares me.

• mocame
    Options

mpv459 - I just had a pet scan done after my latest dx. I didn't have chemo so I didn't have another one for restaging. Sorry, I can't help! I thought the actual pet scan itself was easier than an MRI but it's the waiting game of wondering about the results that made me the most anxious. Luckily I got the results within a day.

• kamboka
    Options

mpv459: My MO doesn't seem to be big on scans. I asked if I needed on after my neoadjuvant chemo and she said no. She said something about symptoms but I have chronic back and neck pain so not sure if I could tell that something was different. My normal pain changes all the time. I'll meet with her at the end of this month and see when I can scan again. I only had a CT scan in January. I've never had an MRI or PET.

mocame: Yeh for being a quarter finished. I have made plans to change to a 2:30 time. My work involves dealing with folks overseas so I was just switched to a portfolio where they are five hours ahead. I told my supervisor today that my hours would change to 6:00 - 2:00. I'll still go to the office at 9:00 but leave at 2:00 for the clinic. I am glad to get home early. I use the subway system so it won't be too crowded at that time. This morning I had a Gastro appointment at 7:45. The radiation tech took me in at 7:15 so I could be on time for my other appointment. They are really a nice group of folks.

• mpv459
    Options

Thank you for the replys… Kamboka My oc didn't think I needed to do scans but the radiologist wants them.. Mocame.. the waiting is the worst part.

• Trinny38
    Trinny38 Member Posts: 1
    Options

how did radiation go I really don't want to get it but was told I should because of 1 positive lymph node everything's happening so fast

• kamboka
    Options

Trinny38: It sounds like you are newly diagnosed. You are correct that everything seems to be happening so fast--since I'm sure it is for you. I remember first thinking I wanted double mastectomy, then I changed to unilateral and finally ended up with a lumpectomy. As you get more infromation, you will make better decisions. My understanding is that if you do a mastectomy, you might not need radiation. If you have a lumpectomy, it is highly recommended and most people do have radiation. I had to have chemo and so far, radiation is so much easier. Both chemo and radiation take some weeks/months and everyone reacts differently to them. I would suggest that you talk to your doctors and discuss options. Also, read some of the threads from this site as they have great information. I've learned a lot from reading this forum.

I see this is your first post. If you could fill out your profile, it will appear below your posts and help others who will be responding to your comments. Everyone is here to help each other.

• Jcscbrown
    Jcscbrown Member Posts: 6
    Options

Dove makes a 0 percent aluminum deodorant and its new. Thats what I was told to use. I can only find it at Target. You might ask about it. Also, i dont have to hold my breath during rads, i feel so bad for you. Mine is right side. Today marks the end of 2 weeks for me. Halfway there! Fatigue has set in pretty bad. I am sleepy by 11am and i watch my two year old granddaughter all day, thank heavens she naps so I can too! Skin is a little pink, but sore inderneath. We've got this. My husband calls me princess warrior, so you all are also!

• kamboka
    Options

Jcscbrown: Glad you have completed two weeks. How many total weeks or sessions do you have? My technicians laughed at me today when I told them that after Monday's treatment, I would be 33% done.

Sorry to hear that you are getting fatigued. So far, so good for me. My skin is a little pink but nothing major.

I like what your husband calls you. We are all warriors, for sure!

• mocame
    Options

Jcscbrown - I will have to check for that deodorant. I haven't heard of that. I'm glad I don't have to hold my breath too but am concerned that it may effect my heart and lungs. I just finished week #5/30 and so far no side effects. Yay! I'm hoping I don't have to deal with the side effects for another week or so.

It sounds like you have a great and supportive husband!

• petite1
    petite1 Member Posts: 2,184
    Options

Hi. I am new at this. I am scheduled for my first appointment for Radiation on 10/22/19. I had surgery on 8/23 and popped a stitch a week later, which made for slow healing. I still have pain in my arm pit, but too much in my breast. I will be glad when radiation is over (6 weeks).

• kamboka
    Options

petite1: Welcome! Sorry to hear about the complication after surgery. It's good to take the time to heal before beginning radiation treatment. I've done 9/30 and so far no major problems. I see that you, too, have to do six weeks. This forum is great to get helpful tips from the many women who have been through this. If you haven't already done so, read some of the other radiation threads to see how people have coped.

• mocame
    Options

Well, I had #6/30 today. Still no side effects yet. They said the SEs should start this week or next. I'm keeping up my exercising to hopefully help with the fatigue I might get in the future. My marks and stickers are coming off already. They replaced 2 of them today because they were almost off. I'm not scrubbing them or anything but the one is at a place that my clothes and my arm rubs it. I thought the stickers were supposed to last the whole 6+ weeks but the techs said its common for them to come off.

Every year, this past weekend is the weekend I go to the beach with friends. I take off of work and we go from Friday through Monday. This year, because of rads, I couldn't go the whole weekend but was able to go for about a day and a half. What a great time of relaxing, enjoying friends, laughing, sit on the boardwalk, and enjoy watching people and watching the ocean. I think everyone during their cancer journey needs to get out and enjoy life and nature. It's very rejuvenating.

• kamboka
    Options

mocame: Slowly but surely, you are getting there. I'm glad there are no SEs yet. Last week, I had three episodes of nausea. Today, it happened again but not bad. When I mentioned to the radiologist that I had read a journal article about blood type and nausea, he laughed. I'm going to copy the report and take to him tomorrow. Today was my first day at 2:30 and, of course, they were running 45 minutes late. The technicians apologized and I jokingly told them we would see how this week goes and I might switch back to 7:30 am.

I think I'm happy that they did the tattoos so I don't have to worry about the stickers. Besides, I'm sometimes allergic to adhesive.

Your beach trip with friends sounds fun. Water is so relaxing. A few weeks ago, I did the fly fishing retreat sponsored by Casting for Recovery. I found out about it from someone on this forum. It was so nice to share with 13 other women and to learn how to fly fish. It's a really great organization that sponsors this.

Finishing my session today gets me at a third finished--only two thirds to go.