Come join others currently navigating treatment in our weekly Zoom Meetup! Register here: Tuesdays, 1pm ET.
Fill Out Your Profile to share more about you. Learn more...

Starting Radiation October 2019

Options

Comments

• mocame
    mocame Member Posts: 554
    Options

Congrats on 1/3 done! I'm sorry to hear about the nausea. I hear it happens but not fun!. My coworkers husband is having radiation right now for prostate cancer and his is 1/2 done and is now experiencing nausea too. I'm hoping it starts to go away for you. Have you had any fatigue or skin SEs yet? I've been really good about getting plenty of sleep and exercising. But I didn't get as much sleep this weekend while I was away and tonight I am tired. Hoping it's just because I haven't caught up on my sleep yet and not the fatigue setting in.

Hope your treatment goes well tomorrow and you feel better!

• kamboka
    kamboka Member Posts: 1,052
    Options

I'm having radiation to the clavicle area and part of the neck. That is a bit scratchy but the breast is good. The doc today said I could keep using the steroid cream to the neck if I needed. I also had a bit of pain on the left side of my throat--sort of like when I was getting a mouth sore. I hope it's not related to the radiation. I'll watch it to see if it continues. So far, I still have lots of energy but I know that I am going into my third week.

I start my new hours this week. I'll get up at 530 and work from home until 900 then go to the office. I'll leave the office at 200 to go to the hospital for treatment. I don't normally sleep well so am dreading this. I'll just have to make up any hours on the weekend.

Are you working full time?

• mocame
    Options

That's great that you get to work from home part of the day. I hope you can get some sleep because that seems to be making a big difference for me right now. I work full-time. I get up at 4:40AM, exercise, and start work by 7:00. I work until 2:00 and then go right to radiation. In bed by 9:00. Repeat. Over the weekend I didn't get as much sleep, overslept yesterday so I didn't get to exercise. I felt pretty good until about 8:00PM when suddenly I hit a brick wall! I felt so tired. I'm hoping this isn't the start of it and once I get some more sleep and exercise it will be better.

I have heard about some people feeling like they have a sore throat when they are having radiation close to the neck. What is the steroid cream supposed to do?

• kamboka
    Options

mocame: I wish I was an early morning person like you. the early time is definitely quiet and you can get a lot done. I naturally woke up this morning at 5:20 so got up to work. I'll take the shower later.

I am taking Gabapentin for neuropathy and it makes me drowsy. I took it earlier last night so I could wake up this morning. I'll see how I do tonight. Last night I went to bed at 10:00 but didn't fall asleep until almost 11:00.

The steroid cream was what I was using for the first two weeks. The NP said stop after two weeks but the RO said I could still use on my neck if needed. I think because I had some sun exposure a few weeks ago, that area is more sensitive. The cream would just stop the irritation.

I've heard that sometimes people get a sore throat when the rays are too close to the neck. Or maybe, I'm getting a cold. Either way, I hope it goes away.

• suzyqflowers
    suzyqflowers Member Posts: 7
    Options

I started rad in October and am now up to number 11 out of 16 (but who's counting, right??) My nipple is sore and tanned, but so far, so good. I am using the spray kind of Aquaphor-it is wonderful, less greasy, and easy to use. I still use the thick kind at night. I wash the old bras and the two new ones I bought every few days so the grease doesn't transfer, and then in the evenings I go without a bra and just wear an old shirt. One thing I am gong to do is purchase a couple of really soft nightshirts-

My techs and rad doc are great, they figured out a way for me to have the sessions with my right arm down, had serious pain and muscle spasms from an old injury when I tried to put it up in the position they required. So all is ok now. I use the breathing machine and while I thought that would be horrible, it's not. The days they don't do x-rays, the session lasts about 4 minutes. Truly not a problem. X-ray days are a little longer, and they take a lot of them to make sure they are on the target. But still out in less than 10 minutes. I see the doc once a week.

Next Tuesday is bell ringing day! I'll be done! Still every three months visit from both onc and rad docs, so I don't feel abandoned in any way...

Good luck to all of you, you CAN do this!

• spratt5
    spratt5 Member Posts: 14
    Options

I had my x-ray and simulation done today. Tomorrow begins the radiation journey - 25 treatments. Nurse said that I shouldn't put any cream on in the morning and to make sure my underarm and radiated breast were dry before treatment. She said I can put cream on after treatment and at night. Interesting how every center has different protocols. My treatments are during my lunch hour so I'll be sure to carry the cream with me to put on afterwards. Best wishes to you all !

• mocame
    Options

Suzyqflowers - You are almost done! Yay! It doesn't sound like you had many SEs from radiation. That's great! We don't have a bell to ring but I usually see staff giving congratulations and well wishes. One gentleman last week had his "graduation" and was congratulated by the staff. His wife made a point to tell everyone that he has been through several "graduations" and is still THRIVING. :)

spratt5 - Welcome! That's great that you can have it done during your lunch break. Saves a lot of time having to work your radiation in around your job. Does your 25 treatments include boosts or just 25 treatments? I have 30 treatments (25 + 5 boosts), so that's why I asked. I think Kamboka is the same. Like suzyqflowers said, it really doesn't take that long. My daughter came with me today since she was home from college and said how funny it is that we walk back to have the radiation done and come out a few minutes later and people would never guess that we just had radiation.

Best wishes!

• kamboka
    Options

suzyqflowers: Welcome! I'm so glad that you only have a few more to go before ringing the bell. It's even better that you've not had any major problems. Sounds like you have a great radiation team that gives good customer care.

spratt5: Welcome! Tomorrow should seem really easy and fast after going through x-rays and simulation on the same day. I had mine separately. I read somewhere that some cream could be used as long as it was 4 hours ahead but each center has different requirements. I started out at 0800 and would take my cream with me to apply before I left the center. I didn't want to forget and I knew I would get busy and forget.

mocame: I so glad your daughter was able to go with you today. There was a lady before me in the mornings that brought a friend with her. They allowed the friend to come to the dressing room in the back and wait for her. I'm sure that was a great help to the lady having the treatment.

I had my weekly x-rays today. It took longer and my left arm was going numb. The neuropathy has improved in the hands so normally there is no problem. I think my arm was not well positioned in the braces today. They came out and let me put my arm down for a few seconds and that helped. I took the RO the copy of the journal article about nausea and blood type. I see next Monday if he even read it.

• mysticalcity
    mysticalcity Member Posts: 184
    Options

suzyqflowers--with the 16 sessions do they do that five days a week and then one extra day in the 4th week? or do you go 4 days/week for 4 weeks? I meet with my RO tomorrow but wanted to know more about 16 week protocol before I meet with her. Thanks!

• kamboka
    Options

#12/30 done. They did x-rays yesterday and had to repeat them today. Apparently, my tattoos are not where they need to be for the beam. the technician has used markers but I'm allergic to tape so can't have the stickers. I guess he'll have to reapply everyday. That will take longer.

• mocame
    Options

Kamboka - Do you know why the tattoos aren't where they need to be? Bummer that you can't use the stickers. How has your skin been so far? My RO said I may see some color change starting next week. So far I'm okay but I'm very fair skinned and I'm afraid I will turn pink quicker than the average person.

• kamboka
    Options

mocame: Maybe you won't have any major skin problems. It could get a little pink but then go straight to tanned. Did you RO say anything about the fatigue?

I'm thinking that maybe I wasn't in the right position when they first did the simulation and tattoos or that maybe I'm doing better with the breath-holding and it's changing my position. The new marks are very close to the tattoos--maybe 1/8 - 1/4 inch away. I am olive complexed. I had some breast pinkness since surgery in July that never went away. Now it's a little more pink but not bad. Nothing is really irritating except an occasional neck problem when I wear my lanyard at work. I need to ask the RO on Monday why they are doing my nodes so high up. I only had one positive node and it was very near the breast. I moisturize four times a day. Had very mild queasiness in the train today but not as bad as last week. So far, I still have lots of energy and I'm two days into my third week.

• mocame
    Options

Kamboka - Sounds like you are doing great! Maybe there is a normal area of radiation they automatically do for nodes? I'm not having nodes done but the area they are radiating is right under my armpit and toward my back. I think it's just because that's the angle they need to be at to radiate my breast.

I finally got to talk to my RO yesterday. I asked her if the radiation is hitting my lungs or heart since I'm not doing the breathing technique. She said the radiation isn't hitting them at all. That was good to hear! They said I'm doing really well so I hope that continues! I see so many people getting radiation for different things and they are doing well and looking normal so it is encouraging.

Best wishes!

• kamboka
    Options

mocame: I'm glad you got confirmation that you didn't need the breath holding d/t where they are targeting. I know you were concerned.

You are correct that most of the other folks getting treatment seem to be in good spirits and not sick. I've had conversations with many of them as we wait together. That is encouraging.

My node was positive for macromets even after neoadjuvant chemo so maybe that is why they are targeting the nodes above where this one was found. I do worry that this increases my chances for lymphedema. I need all the healthy nodes I can get!

• mocame
    Options

Kamboka - I noticed the girls on the September thread are talking about their armpit area being darker even though they weren't radiating their lymph nodes. Maybe the radiated area for lymph nodes is even higher?

• kamboka
    Options

They are also doing the armpit but I don't notice any discoloration yet. I did have darkening when I did AC but it got back to normal after a few months. My breast is a rosy pink but no pain or anything. They do three angles so I bit they get a wide swath. On Monday, I'll end my third week. I'm still feeling energetic and I so hope that it continues.

Are you having any side effects yet?

• spratt5
    spratt5 Member Posts: 14
    Options

Hello Ladies!

Today I'll be having 3 out of 25. No boosts after the 25 that they made me aware of. My skin feels warm and a very light pink. I immediately put calendula cream on after treatment then an hour later my breast feels soar so I apply arnica gel all over and that takes it away. The best cream I've come across so far is the My Girls brand. I put it on before bed last night and it really felt good. I'm terrified how my skin will feel and look in a few weeks if I'm already feeling symptoms. All I can do is take it day by day.

I am really happy with the technique of the radiation machine for my left side (left breast, clavicle area and underarm). I watch this graphic overhead as I'm lying down and if my breath isn't held enough to turn the graph green then the machine won't turn on. Should I let go of my breath and the graph turns yellow the machine will turn off. Where I live we have three cancer centers all run by different hospitals. I figured the newest cancer center would've had the latest and greatest, boy was I surprised to find that it didn't have the best technique for radiation of the left breast to protect the heart and lungs. It truly pays to do your research and ask your oncologists questions.

All of you ladies are in my thoughts daily as I go through this journey with you. Thank goodness for this thread!

• petite1
    petite1 Member Posts: 2,184
    Options

Hi. I am still waiting for the 22nd to start. I have been doing skin care and ROM exercises. I have Lupus and a little afraid of what radiation will do to my rash. Is anyone else dealing with that?

• kamboka
    Options

spratt5: It would be a nice treat not to have to do more than the 25 so I hope that's it for you. Sounds like you do have sensitive skin. I'm also using calendula oil along with a few other things and I hear it's really good. My breast was a nice pink but today it looks like it's starting to tan.

I had not thought about checking out different Radiology centers for the equipment. I naively thought all places had the kind for breath holding. My center said the machine is only one year old but I don't have a screen showing my breathing. They put a device on my stomach and said that the machine would stop in case I restarted too early.

petite1: Have you had your simulation? If so, did the RO recommend something to use for the rash? Mine gave me a steroid cream to use for the first two weeks. Perhaps that is what they will also do for you. I'm mainly using calendula oil mixed iwth coconut oil. Since I can't have oil on my skin four hours before treatment, I use a less oily calendula mixed with aloe cream.

• mocame
    Options

#10/30 done! Yay! No SEs yet except I think I see a tiny bit of color on the top of my breast on the cancer side. The RO and techs didn't notice it, though. My hospital's radiation department is having renovations going on and I have seen other radiation graduates leave and didn't hear the "bell" so I assumed they didn't have one or not during renovations. Today when I was in, there was a larger group of people in the waiting room than normal and one of the techs came out and called some of them to the back. A group of 6 or so people got up and went back. Then one of the girls from the check-in desk came out hurrying towards the back with pompoms in her hand. After a couple minutes, I heard a bell ring and a loud cheer. It was a woman with her adult children/spouses. They were all happy and said they were "going to celebrate". So fun to see!

• kamboka
    Options

mocame: What a nice treat to be a part of that celebration--even on the periphery. In many developing countries, when it's your birthday or other special occasion, you are the one who throws the party and foots the bill. I'll need to remember that in three weeks and bring my own cake/cupcakes to the radiation team to celebrate. We don't have a bell either.

Congratulation on being a third of the way finished. After Monday, I'm halfway there.

The color you are noticing--is it pink or tanned? I'm starting to tan.

• mocame
    Options

Well, I have some leftover suntan above my left breast (cancer-side) from the summer. The suntan above my cancer-side is darker than the other breast. The non-suntanned part I think is slightly pink. Again, it's very slight discoloration. I would take tan over pink or red but since I'm very fair skinned, I'm thinking I will probably turn more pink.

You should take your own cake/cupcakes! That would be fun and I'm sure they would appreciate them! I also was thinking what I could do for the valet parking crew. They have been battling wind, cold, and rain this week. Not fun but they still smile and ask how I'm doing. I can't pay all of them tips so I'm trying to figure out what to do.

• kamboka
    Options

Let me know what you come up with. The two receptionists are lovely as well. Every few days when I go in, they have new flowers on the check in desk. Apparently, others are thanking them as well.

Isn't it nice to get smiles and kind words from strangers? Being a single women, it means even more to me. I'm sure the valet park folks will be happy that you recognize them. I live in a large city and ended up one day getting an Uber driver that I had used before. We both recognized each other, like old friends. He remembered what had happened on that trip (I ended up getting out and walking for the last block as the road was shut down d/t a march). He said that he so enjoyed our conversation as we waited that he would put me in the top five clients that he has enjoyed driving. I was so touched.

• soul2deep
    soul2deep Member Posts: 3
    Options

Hello, I will be starting radiation on Oct. 28th. I am part of a clinical trial that has me doing only 5 treatments. My treatments will be in the prone position as my cancer is on the left side. Though I am only doing 5 treatments it will be 3x the dose. This is a phase 2 trial and part of Mayo clinic in Jacksonville.

• mocame
    Options

Kamboka - I didn't think of flowers for the receptionists! What a good idea! Aw! That Uber drivers sounds like such a nice guy! I haven't used Uber yet but is there a way to try and request him again? He deserves a high rating! :)

Soul2Deep - Please keep us informed to what is involved and how you do with your radiation treatment. Have they given you any indication as to what SEs they expect you to have from getting just a few treatments at higher dose? Best wishes with your treatments!

• kamboka
    Options

Soul2Deep: I read about the one week treatment before I began this journey and was hoping that I would qualify and be able to do it but no such luck. I will be anxious to hear how it goes for you. I would assume that the SEs would not come until well after the week. Did the RO say what they expect the SEs to be?

BTW, I used to live in Jacksonville and was there when Mayo first opened. I hope they are still provinding great care.

• petite1
    petite1 Member Posts: 2,184
    Options

Hi, Kamboka. I have the simulation on 10/22. The only thing the RO mentioned was the Lupus could be a problem. I may learn more on the 22nd. I have been using Hydrocortisone cream for the rash. I will get the calendula oil and try it. I have the others. I appreciate your help.

• kamboka
    Options

petite1: Good luck on Tuesday. Let us know how it goes.

• soul2deep
    soul2deep Member Posts: 3
    Options

Side effects are typical of regular radiation treatment unless you are not typical. I was told fatigue would start in the third week. They told me there has been hundreds of successful treatments done. We will see....I will let you all know how it goes.

• kamboka
    Options

I'm 50% done. Yah. This weekend, I think I started with some side effects. I had a low grade headache and nausea. It continued into today. Luckily, this was my consult day with the RO. He thinks my nausea is caused from GERD from chemo. I had been taking Zantac until earlier this month when the GI doc told me to stop. That's when my nausea started. He gave me a prescription for high dose Prilosec. I hope he is correct. I did feel 'slower' today so maybe the fatigue is also starting. I hope it doesn't get worse than this.