Come join others currently navigating treatment in our weekly Zoom Meetup! Register here: Tuesdays, 1pm ET.
Fill Out Your Profile to share more about you. Learn more...

Starting Radiation October 2019

Options

Comments

• mocame
    mocame Member Posts: 554
    Options

petite1 - I had the Oncotype testing and mine came out to 18. I wonder what the difference is in testing?

suzyqflower - Congratulations on being done! I hope you continue to heal well!

Kamboka - Ugh! You are doing great considering you aren't getting solid sleep! I hope you can get some solid sleep soon.

Has anyone experienced problems with your shoulder or arms from radiation? I noticed the past couple of days that I was getting tingling, and the funny feeling you get like when you hit your funny bone, in my left arm (cancer side). I thought that maybe my back was out of alignment or I slept wrong or something. Well today during rads, my shoulder felt like it was almost going to spasm. Then when I was done and got out of that position, my arm felt like I hit my funny bone and almost numb and weak. Now I'm wondering if it's from the position they put my shoulder and arm during radiation. Does anyone do exercises for their shoulder/arms?

• kamboka
    kamboka Member Posts: 1,052
    Options

mocame: Sorry about the shoulder/arm pain. I only have problems when they keep me on the table in the arm stirrups too long during x-rays. It's understandable since I have hand and foot neuropathy from the taxol. How long does your arm take to get 'normal' again after you get off the table? It sounds like you could have some nerve impingement from positioning or maybe some radiation that is affecting some nerves in that arm. Definitely ask your RO the next time you see him/her.

• kamboka
    Options

mocame: I forgot to mention that I started OT/PT about six weeks before radiation. I do exercises everyday. I was doing them to keep the cording away that I got after surgery. I think it's helping me with my mobility during radiation. That is what the OT lady said. Do you do the exercises?

• mocame
    Options

No, I had my reconstruction surgery 11 years ago and I did exercises then but haven't needed anything since. My RO didn't mention anything about having to do exercises now. It slowly got better over a hour or so. I started stretching my arms out and shaking my hands right away after getting off the table. I still get a twinge of that funny bone feeling off and on since then.

• kamboka
    Options

That is a long time to get back to your 'norm'. I would definitely see what the RO thinks is causing this. My RO day is on Mondays. I forgot when yours is but keep me updated.

I'm trying to stay up until 1030. Not sure how long that plan will last. :)

• mocame
    Options

I meet with my RO on Wednesdays. One of the ladies on the September rads thread posted some exercises so I will try those this weekend but will mention it to my techs on Monday too. Hopefully it will recover some over the weekend.

Good luck staying up until 10:30. I'm already past my 9:00 bedtime and getting sleepy. :)

• suzyqflowers
    suzyqflowers Member Posts: 7
    Options

Kamboka, thanks! I will save the thread!

• petite1
    petite1 Member Posts: 2,184
    Options

Kamboka, The oncologist didn't expect it. Day 2 of radiation slowly went bad. I had a lot of pain in my in my arm pit, I started running a fever, and slept 15 hours. I got up to have coffee and nearly passed out. My husband had to put me back to bed. Still in my p-jays.

• mocame
    Options

Petite1 - I'm so sorry your 2nd day didn't go well. I hope you can get plenty of rest this weekend and get back to feeling normal. You should talk to your RO on Monday about the pain and fever.

• kamboka
    Options

petite1: Wow, so sorry to hear that. Since it's so early in radiation, wonder what could be causing the pain and fever. Did you have chemo? Maybe your immune system is still fragile. If the fever gets too high, make sure to seek medical assistance this weekend. It always seems that 'bad' things happen over the weekend when there are fewer people to contact. Getting the extra sleep probably is a good thing.

mocame: I hope the light exercising will help. Although it does sound like some kind of nerve involvement. I'm sure you can't wait till Monday to ask.

• petite1
    Options

Kamboka, I think I had a reaction to something. It is red just above my scar. It was hot and swollen, but that has gone away. I will talk to RO on Monday. Thanks

Mocame, I have been resting. I don't think I could do anything else. LOL

• kamboka
    Options

petite1: Glad that some of the symptoms have gone. Hope you have a decent rest of the weekend and Monday they can figure out what was happening.

• glo61449
    glo61449 Member Posts: 2
    Options

I have finished seven radiation treatments and appear to be having a systemic allergic reaction. It is not confined to my breast but is in my upper chest neck and seems to be appearing on my abdomen and upper arms. Feels like hives. Any one else have an allergic reaction right away. It started after only 2 treatments.

• moderators
    moderators Posts: 7,966
    Options

We're not sure this is helpful glo61449, but here is a page on systemic allergic reactions to radiation from our site on side effects. https://www.breastcancer.org/treatment/radiation/s...

If you haven't already, of course share the side effects with your radiation oncologist. It sounds very uncomfotable and perhaps they need to make adjustments.

Hang in there, and welcome to our community.

• kamboka
    Options

glo61449: I'm so sorry to hear that you are having such a widespread reaction. If the RO is continuing with treatments, did they give you any thing, like steroids, to take? I hope that you can find someting useful in the thread suggested by the moderators to help ease the discomfort.

• petite1
    Options

glo61449, It sounds like an allergic reaction. Check with your RO on Monday. I am having difficulty after my 2nd treatment, but different symptoms. Good Luck

• glo61449
    glo61449 Member Posts: 2
    Options

Thanks all. I will see my RO today and find out what he suggests, but I can't continue on like this. Rash worsened over the weekend even without treatments.

• petite1
    Options

Kamboka, Mocame - It seems I am dehydrated and have a UTI. I was sleeping and not drinking. I skipped Radiation today and will resume tomorrow.

glo61449 - How did it go for you today?

• mocame
    Options

glo61449 - Ugh! Let us know what your RO says.

petite1 - Not fun! I hope you start to feel better soon and glad you can continue your treatment.

Hoping everyone has a good treatment day tomorrow with no SEs!

• kamboka
    Options

Today is #20/30. Two thirds finished. I am keeping my fingers crossed that I can finish this without any major problems. I think I had enough during chemo for this year.

petite1: So glad that this was not radiation related. I think when the weather gets cooler (if you are in a cooler place), we forget to drink. The antibiotics will help in a day or two.

glo61449: Sounds like your really had a rough weekend. I hope they can give you something for immediate relief. Off topic: I think we might share something in common, if I'm reading your username correctly. If so, such a small world.

• Jcscbrown
    Jcscbrown Member Posts: 6
    Options

I'm sorry I have been away for a few days. The bone scan came back fine with no signs of anything. I had not had a been scan before, my doctor said because my cancer was so small they didn't see it necessary. But after my bone density test they wanted to double check a few things. However everything came out just fine and there were no signs. It looks like I have arthritis in my neck so I have to go for A CT scan. They said they are pretty sure it is arthritis but just want to double check everything. I finished radiation just fine, my last day was Friday. There was no bell to ring but they did give me a certificate and a whole bunch of high fives and thumbs ups. I am doing well! I do have some fatigue and I'm sleepy all the time but the radiologist said that would last for probably 2 more weeks. I have redness under my breast and under my arm but other than that just a little bit of pink elsewhere. Please say prayers or think of me Tuesday afternoon when I go for the CT scan. How is everyone else holding up? I am praying for you all!

• mocame
    Options

Jcscbrown - Yay! I'm so happy that not only are you done with radiation but also there was no cancer! What a relief! Will be praying for you Tuesday afternoon when you have your CT scan.

I had #16/30 today and things are going well. No fatigue so far and my skin is just slightly pink. Only had a couple times of feeling like I was getting sick but then didn't and now problem with my arm which could be from the position they have me in during radiation. Another person on the Sept radiation board gave me simple basic exercises to do for shoulder/arm so I'm doing those to help with that.

Thank you for keeping up-to-date on what was happening with you.

• kamboka
    Options

Jcscbrown: Congrats on finishing on Friday. Have you already started the AI? It sounds like your fatigue is manageable, which is good to hear. I had both the bone density and scan and CT. I also have arthritis in the neck and back. Hopefully, that's all you will have as well. Although, arthritis is no fun but it's better than what it could be. You will be in my thoughts and prayers tomorrow.

mocame: Congrats on being over half done. It's good to hear that your skin is holding up well considering your worries at the beginning. My RO today said he was very pleased with my skin condition. I also asked him about how many boosts I would get. He asked me how I knew about boosts and I said it was my BC Forum. He just smiled. Anyways, I've got five whole breast and then five boosts left.

I hope the exercises are helping. When do you talk to your RO about it?

• mocame
    Options

Kamboka - I wasn't worried about my skin but I just know that I never go right to tan. Always pink first. I noticed I now have a bright pink spot on the bottom of my armpit area. I need to remember to keep my arm out from my body more. It is at a spot that rubs when I move my arm or from clothing (although I've been wearing the looser soft cotton camis.) We will see.

I talk to my RO on Wednesday but I did talk to my techs about it yesterday. They can't do anything about the position of my body, of course (I'm at a little bit to one side), but they did change the way my hand grips the grip. Not such a hard grip and more relaxed. It didn't bother me as much yesterday and since I started doing those exercises.

• kamboka
    Options

mocame: I'm glad the re-positioning helped. Sometimes we tense up too much along with our awkward positioning. I had a small crease under my arm that was tingling. I started using my steroid cream and it helped. It's not in the tan zone so wasn't being directly zapped. The RO said that even though areas are not directly zapped, inflammation can move outside of that zone.

Today is my x-ray day. I don't like those days as it takes much longer and I have to hold my breath much more. The room is like a freezer so I'm cold as well. At least I only have two x-ray days left, I hope.

• petite1
    Options

Kamboka. LOL 5'2" trying to stay over 100#'s. Heading out for radiation. Will let you know how it goes.

• mocame
    Options

Kamboka - I'm surprised your x-rays take so long. Mine only take a minute or two but I don't hold my breath so maybe that is the difference? On the days I don't have x-rays, I have the bolus put on. It's been taking longer for that because over time the bolus loses it's stickiness and now they have to tape it down onto me and the table to make it work. They literally wrap tape around my boob and the bolus to keep it down and touching my skin. I always feel like a mummy.

Petite1 - I'm 5'1" but I'm over 100#s. LOL! My husband is 6' and when he walks, he doesn't understand why I can't keep up with him...while my little legs are moving fast just trying and not succeeding to catch up. :) I hope your treatment goes well today!

• petite1
    Options

So far so good after treatment today. Hoping it continues. LOL mocame, my husband is just under 6'4". I know wat you mean.

• kamboka
    Options

petite1 and mocame: I'm envious. The last time I was 5'2" and 100 was when I was five years old. :)

Treatment and x-rays went faster today than last week. I had two lady technicians, so that's probably why--more efficient than my guys. I have my MO appointment tomorrow so I asked the techs if I could come earlier. They are so accommodating.

• mocame
    Options

Petite1 - I'm glad your treatment went well today and hoping that the rest of them go the same.

Kamboka - I'm glad today's treatment and x-rays went faster. Yay! I have a better experience with the all girl tech crew than when the guy is there...And I have had him for 2 1/2 weeks. Nice guy but...just not like the all girl crew.

Well, I think I might know what is causing at least some of my issues with my arm and shoulder. Yesterday's treatment went well and I didn't have any issues during or after treatment. I assumed it was because of the new hand positioning. Today was bolus day and because the bolus has lost it's stickiness, they tape it onto me and to the table. When they pull the tape tight and tape it to the table, it pushes down on me and when they did that today, I got a little tingling sensation in my shoulders and arms. I think I will talk to my RO about that when I see her tomorrow.