Come join others currently navigating treatment in our weekly Zoom Meetup! Register here: Tuesdays, 1pm ET.
Fill Out Your Profile to share more about you. Learn more...

Starting Radiation October 2019

Options

Comments

• kamboka
    kamboka Member Posts: 1,053
    Options

Togethertolearn: Sorry that you are having a hard time getting rid of the cold. I know the easy answer is for those folks who have chemo as those drugs do destroy everything in it's way. I would assume that you could have a slightly decreased immune system from the cancer, the surgery and radiation. If it takes up to a year for the surgery scars to fully heal, I would assume your system could not be 100% yet either. The same with radiation. There is also the stress from going through all these things this year that could also be the culprit. I'm not sure your age, but as we get older, it's also harder to fight off infections. Your diet could also be suspect. Are you getting enough of the foods with the vitamins and minerals that we need? I started taking some mega doses of Vitamin C about two months ago. I'm hoping that will help me with the viruses and bacteria this winter.

• mocame
    mocame Member Posts: 554
    Options

Togethertolearn - I have heard that some people still have side effects months after radiation ends so I think it's possible. Especially since your body has gone through a lot in the past few months. That being said, you probably should go to your family doctor and get checked out just in case. I hope you get plenty of rest and get over your cold quickly! You need a break! Best wishes!

• petite1
    petite1 Member Posts: 2,191
    Options

Good morning. After today 3 more full breast treatment. The rash looks the same, but after radiation, yesterday the entire breast was pink. It has faded this morning.

mocame, I glad the underarm is doing better. I hope it continues.

Kamboka, I think the gift was a wonderful idea. The cancer center that I go to is so big. It would be difficult to reach everyone that helped me on this journey, but my Rad Techs and the Rad nurse have been the best. I might do little gifts for them. I have sometime to come up with an idea.

• kamboka
    Options

petite1: I only got gifts for the Rads unit. I have mixed reviews for the others but Rads was consistently good.

Today, I noticed that my skin is peeling a little around my neck. I'll have to wear turtle necks for awhile if it gets worse. One of my spots on top of my breast had some pus around the edges. I'm using the antibiotic cream so hope that stops any infection.

I came home today instead of the clinic and didn't know what to do with myself. I was talking to my OT on Monday and we were discussing the fact that we are all so busy with appointments and treatments for almost a year, then it's all over and we don't know what to do next. We do eventually get used to this new norm.

• mocame
    Options

Kamboka - I hope your spot doesn't get infected. I'm concerned about that with the area under my arm since it gets bumped, rubbed, and never gets as much air even though I try and have it out in the open air for at least a couple hours a day and then try to overnight. Other sections under my arm are starting to get sore so I expect them to peel soon too. I see my RO tomorrow so I will see what they say.

I remember from my first dx that it took a little bit to get back to "normal" and not talking about or doing something about the cancer all the time. And I didn't even have chemo, radiation, or drugs that time. You have been through so much and deserve a much needed break from it. Hopefully you will do well on the meds too and life will return to some resemblance of "normal".

• kamboka
    Options

mocame: Thanks to you. petite1 and others in this thread that have been so kind and inspirational to me. This has really helped me get through these six weeks.

I really hope that your area can heal soon. I sympathize with you as under the arm is harder to keep dry and aired out. Do you have something covering it when you are at work? I'm using some non-stick pads under my bra since I can't tape them. I don't always like to cover wounds but don't want to rub them too much.

My job is international and I told a colleague I would be available to go in late March/early April. I've had a few more hot flashes over the last weeks and am thinking if I really want to go back overseas. That's all I've done for the last 18 years but I would miss the conveniences of the USA. Something I'll have to think about later. No need to stress now. :)

• Togethertolearn
    Togethertolearn Member Posts: 224
    Options

Kamboka, I'm 2 months removed from radiation and I feel like I'm watching myself live. It's an eerie feeling. Not good or bad. I don't feel 'settled'. There's so much more in my mind In general, not specifically about cancer, but a whole lot more thoughts in general. Also the loom of a follow up test is really on my mind, Ive tried to tuck it away but the fear is still there. Also I feel apprehension because I've started tamoxifen and I'm not confident in how i will feel everyday, I've had some fleeting but bad side effects. I've found myself talking to myself as well!! That's my new normal so far! :) more worry, more just feeling out of place in life

• petite1
    Options

Good morning. The rash was very uncomfortable last night and my nipple has turned red and is overly sensitive. Mocame & Kamboka, Thank you both for your advice and support. No one understands better than some that is going through it. My life has not been normal since surgery. Only one of my close friends acts just the same as she always does. We go to lunch, shopping, etc. My other close friend bailed on me. Strange, when she had surgery I got groceries, took her places, checked on her everyday. She just faded out and doesn't even respond to my texts. My husband is a little different, too. We use to have a date night each week. We had one since surgery. Hopefully, life resumes after radiation ends.

• Togethertolearn
    Options

petite1 I am so sorry to hear about your friend keeping her distance. There's another thread on here about that very thing - how people in our life have dealt with us since our diagnosis. I hope you have others step up in amazing and unexpected ways.

What saved my skin with radiation is I used Cetaphil and put it on thick so it was sitting on my skin, then covered it all with plastic wrap and slept that way all night (I started doing that right after each radiation the last two weeks of radiation too). My surgeon said she's going to tell other patients about that, but I only did it because I hate hate hate touching lotion!! Haha! This way I just squirted it on and covered it. Who says being odd can't be a good thing ;)

• kamboka
    Options

Ladies: I just came from the bathroom after having a small setback. I lifted up my blouse to look at the one spot that looks like it wants to get infected. When I did that, I think it torn away from my t-shirt and started to bleed. I had blood running down my breast, hands, cabinet and had to put lots of pressure to stop it. I am on a blood thinner and this is the first time I've had a problem that made me remember I'm taking it. I'm allergic to tape so can't use a bandaid. As I was reading the post by Togethertolearn about the plastic wrap, I was just reminded that I have some sticky plastic wrap that I used to keep my lidocaine on the port to numb it before infusion. I'm going to use that to keep the non stick pad in place.

petite1: So sorry you are having such problems. You said it was uncomfortable--in what way-- Itchy, pain? I agree with Togethertolearn that some people will go out of your life and others will come in. One of my angels was a young man who was my colleague at work. We weren't that close but when I got cancer he always asked about me and brought me goodies. He came to visit me in the hospital and even helped me with my 80 yo mother. Two of my best girlfriends didn't call or email me but a few times but I'm okay with that. I still want to be their friends in the ways that we can be. Everyone is not meant to be the same or have the same reaction.

Togethertolearn: What tests or scans will you be doing? I do understand about not being 'settled'. I'm literally not settled as I've been living in a work apartment for the last 10 months. I don't even have a home to go to. I am hoping to start my overseas work again in April but I, too, worry about the side effects of my AI.

mocame: Hope your boosts are going well. Only a few more.

• mocame
    Options

Petite1 - I'm so sorry your rash is uncomfortable. Is it itchy? I have gotten really itchy and it is driving me crazy! I'm so sorry your friend isn't responding to you and keep their distance. I can't say I understand it. My guess is they just don't know what to do or say, so they just don't do anything. During each of my diagnosis and treatments, my husband and I didn't spend as much time with each other. He was busy working and bringing in the money and doing more around the house, while I was off or sick and I was busy with appointments, surgery, recovery, radiation, etc. We used to do date nights too and haven't done them much. Tonight I had asked him if we could go out this weekend. Maybe you could ask him to go out or do something special for him?

Togethertolearn - I like your idea about using plastic wrap. I use Aquaphor at night and it is so thick and messy. I'm always afraid of getting it on my good clothes or sheets/blankets.

Kamboka - I'm so sorry that the spot came off like that! Ouch! Are you okay? I hope it stops bleeding and you can get it stable and start to heal. What a great guy your colleague is! I think instances like these can shape a relationship. There have been friends that I hardly ever hear from now and then other people, that I barely knew, did things for me and my family that still brings tears to my eyes 11 years later.

I have 2 boosts to go! Under my arm is still sore and itchy but slightly better today. Yesterday it drove me crazy all day and today the other areas are now really itchy too. I just want to scratch all over. I met with my RO today for the last time this year. She said my skin looks good and thinks by this weekend the area under my arm should be better and the rest should get better in another week. She wasn't even sure the other areas would even peel, but we will see. I don't know if I told you but my PCP said that my bloodwork shows I have thyroiditis, at the beginning stages. Doesn't want to put me on medication and will check it again in 6 months. I think that is a good idea not to go on medication yet because I was wondering if it's from the radiation. I woke up this morning and was dizzy again but not as bad as last week. Also had some hot flashes and my blood pressure continues to be higher than normal. I talked to the RO nurse today and told her what I have been experiencing since I started radiation and she agreed that it could be from the stress on my body by the radiation. I just don't get the normal fatigue. She said I need to keep an eye on my symptoms and see if they get better by the time I get my skin checked at my one month appointment. Then I see her again in 9 months and then every year for 5 years.

• kamboka
    Options

mocame: Did they not give you a systemic or local antihistamine for the itching? Not sure if that works on radiation itchiness. I think it's a good idea to wait on the thyroid meds. You might be back to normal in six months. What did your PCP say about the blood pressure problem. Maybe the elevation is causing the dizziness. Not sure why it's high though. I meet with my RO on 12/16 but not sure when or if I meet with them again.

I think I might have mentioned that I got a second opinion MO lined up for 12/6. I should have done this in February but alas I'm here now. I think I didn't want to have lots of appointments and treatments so far from where I live. It has been convenient being close by.

I think when I pull this non-stick pad off my sore, it will start to bleed again. Ugh. I found some medicinal honey pads that I will try next to sleep with. If it works, I'll have to go buy some more tomorrow to use.

• mocame
    Options

Kamboka - I do put on hydrocortison cream but it only lasts for a little bit before it becomes itchy again. Both the PCP and RO nurse indicated that all my symptoms were probably linked together. Either thyroid or radiation was causing them and the other symptoms because they all started about the same time.

No, I don't remember you mentioning getting a 2nd opinion. Why did you decide to do that? I hope your spot doesn't start to bleed again. Can you call your RO nurse and see what they recommend?

I hope everyone has a good treatment day and, Kamboka, a good recovery day!

• kamboka
    Options

On my way to work but wanted to mention that the wound is weeping still but at least it's not bleeding. I slept with a non-stick pad on it with a small square of plastic wrap to keep it in place. I noticed that the skin on my areola is coming off. It's lighter and pink in some spots. I'm not sure if the plastic wrap caused this or not--as it didn't stay on too well because I had my oils on the skin. I don't really see skin on the wrap. I might just have rubbed off on my clothes. At least it's still not painful

I have sympathy for both you mocame and petite1 with the itching and the discomfort. Hoping it improves quickly.

My second opinion is basically to see if I need to switch MOs to get one that will do some scans or lab work sometimes. My current MO sounds like she will never scan. For example, my unaffected breast has not had a mammogram for almost a year and it will be 1 1/2 years before I have one. None of my docs have even done a manual exam.

• petite1
    Options

Good morning. I saw the RO yesterday. When he saw the rash said "OOOOOOOOOOOOO..., hang in there it is only 2 more treatments." It is still red and itchy. My MIA friend called about 7:30 this morning and we talked along time. I feel better about that. Today is my husband's birthday and I will forced him to go out. I gained 8/10 of a pound since last week. Yay

Komboka, I hope is gets better soon. I think I will try some plastic wrap and see what happens. I have been putting all the creams and ointments on and covering it with an old cotton T-shirt, before bed time. I manage to sleep through the night.

mocame, I have Hashimoto's thyroiditis. The immune system gets confused and starts killing off thyroid hormone. It does cause dry itchy skin, hair loss and weight gain. I have been taking thyroid medication since I was about 24. It might be a temporary thing, due to radiation and the affects on the immune system.

• Togethertolearn
    Options

petite1 glad you had an MIA friend you talked to! I would love to know what people think when their friends are diagnosed, what keeps some away and some closer.

Kamboka I have to start getting full mammos every six months after surgery, I cant believe you haven't been examined on your left at all!! Good call to get a second opinion! And they sure do a Manuel exam every time they see me, it's not pleasant, but needed. I don't think my breast will be fully healed for my mammogram , I'm expecting pain. But it's worth it. Hang in there. You know what's best for you.

• kamboka
    Options

Togethertolearn: I'm not always the best communicator so I think that some of our friends just get busy and don't communicate. It doesn't always mean they don't care. I had a relative that hated hospitals. My mom got upset because he didn't come to visit my dad. I told her it didn't mean he didn't care, he just couldn't stomach being around the prospect of death/dying.

Yes, I'm looking forward to the second opinion. I think I'm more worried about mets than a new localized tumor. I was kind of scared with the grade 3 large tumor. I hope that you don't have any pain for your next mammo. In the past, I've not had much pain so hoping it stays that way. I have till May or so before I have to do one.

petite1: I'm so glad your friend was able to call and you got to talk a long time. Sometimes time and/or distance doesn't matter when we reconnect. It's like you just talked yesterday. At least that is how it is for me.

Too bad the only consolation the RO could offer was "OOOO". I was hoping they could give you something. Even after the end of the treatments, we have a week or more that we get worse. I'm praying that yours gets better soon.

I've gained back 22 pounds in 3 1/2 months. Ugh. I need to lose 70! Sounds like you are dealing with a few other health issues that are not kind to normal weight.

• mocame
    Options

Kamboka - I would be seeking a second opinion too if my MO wouldn't do scans, exams or bloodwork. That's ridiculous. Even though I have had a dmx and reconstruction done, they still exam me at least once a year. My RO nurse said that if I have an open spot, to call them and get a prescription cream that gets put on just the open area, not any closed skin. Supposed to help in healing. Did your RO give you that as an option?

Petite1 - I understand the itchy. I just want to scratch but can't! I'm so glad you got to talk to your friend. Yay! Hopefully your relationship will get back to what it was. A birthday sounds like the perfect occasion to go out to eat! At least maybe that will feel like normal and you can get back into the swing of it again. You are almost done! Yay!

Second to last boost today! My husband came for this one but it is really short so he wasn't there long. The skin under my arm is a gradual progression of peeling and the part that peeled is red but doesn't bother me as much. Now the area under my breast and just above are also starting to peel but isn't as red. I can't wait until tomorrow!

• kamboka
    Options

mocame: Did you decide on any goodies for tomorrow? Is your hubby going with you? I'm so happy that you will be graduating. It was bitter sweet so I look forward to seeing how it goes for you.

You'll have to let me know the name of the script that you are getting. I only have the steroid cream and the Skintegrity. I've used neosporin just because it's the only thing I have to try to stop a bacterial infection. I really need to let it air out but I'd have to go naked. First, it's too cold and second, I think people can see through my window shades. I don't want the police coming for me for indecent exposure. :)

petite1: How did the birthday dinner go?

• petite1
    Options

My husband and I had a wonderful prime rib. I don't eat much red meat, so it was a great treat. We have leftovers. We got to visit with some friends and had a good time. I even had a glass of red wine. Hydrating to make up for it. The rash is still intact. Just one more visit.

• kamboka
    Options

Your night out sounds like fun. The prime rib sounds good too. I don't eat much red meat either so a good prime rib or porterhouse is like heaven.

I didn't realize that you were graduating tomorrow as well as mocame. What a happy Friday for both of you!

• AnnC2019
    AnnC2019 Member Posts: 93
    Options

I am in the November group. Today was my 7th treatment and during rads I had a strong burning sensation right through the center of my breast. It felt like my tissue expander was deflating and a pool of lava was inside. It went away after about a minute. The staff said radiation doesn't do this but I know what I felt. Has anyone had this happen

• petite1
    Options

Good morning. Today is the last day of full breast radiation. Next week is the spot radiation for 5 days. I will be so glad when this is over.

• mocame
    Options

Well, I'm done! Today was a little anticlimactic. I decided not to bring anything in and just send them a card with everyone's name on it. It worked out for the best. They were short-staffed today so there was no bell to ring today and I only got to see 3 of the techs. The one receptionist did wave pom poms at me when I checked in. That was sweet. The boost went quick and that was it. I did see the one valet attendant that I made the biggest connection with and tipped him. He didn't want to take it but I told him it was my last day so he did. I didn't realize until later that they didn't say anything about the stickers I still had on. When I was done with my full treatments, they took them off. I guess they will eventually come off, especially if I lotion them up a lot. My peeling is progressing around the area. The peeling areas don't hurt but still very itchy and I think will be for awhile.

Kamboka - I didn't get the prescription since my skin decided to peel and not just open up. They did tell me what it was but I forget. I know it had the word silver in it. Sorry! I know what you mean about being naked. I just put a cami and to get air to the area but even that was too cold so I would wear a fleece sweatshirt unzipped over top. Not as good but at least it got some air and I was warmer.

Petite1 - Congratulations on getting to the boosts. It is so much easier than the full treatments. I'm glad you had a great dinner with your husband and spend time with your friends. I think we all need some time to relax and have fun without thinking of the cancer all the time. I'm hoping your rash will go away soon! Do you have peeling with the rash?

AnnC2019 - I have implants and haven't had that feeling. Maybe since you have expanders and because they are filled with saline you could get that feeling? I'm not really sure.

• kamboka
    Options

mocame: Congratulations!! It's finally over. Now, on Monday you get to experience my feelings of 'what am I to do now'. I'm glad it's over but now my work is overworking me and expecting me to be at 100%. Ugh. At least you got some pom poms. I wasn't expecting a gong so it was a nice surprise. I can't believe your stickers are still on. With my allergy to tape, I'm sure I'd have blisters all over the place and permanent scars.

My one spot is still raw. I can't keep it uncovered with my camis since it will glue to the shirt and pull off again like it did the last time I had the bleed. I have to wait till it starts to scab over. I don't like covering with the telfa but I can't think of what else to do. I think the prescription you are thinking of might be silverdene cream. It's usually used for burns.

petite1: I was thinking you were finished today. I forgot about the boosts. For me, tt actually felt just like the regular ones since they still did the three angles and it took the same amount of time. At least it's not worse.

AnnC2019: You didn't say how many sessions you are scheduled for? I think mocame probably has more experience than I do since I don't have the expanders. I hope that the feeling goes away and that it's not anything to worry about. We have enough on our plates to worry about.

• Togethertolearn
    Options

mocame Yay for the last one!!! I didn't ring the bell or say goodbye, I think I just wanted to get the heck out of there. I wanted to sneak out unnoticed. We all react different. I hope though that you get fabulous deep sleep tonight and wake up with joy from being done! May tomorrow be the first day of never ever having to go back for radiation!

• mocame
    Options

Togethertolearn - I didn't think I wanted to ring the bell but when I was actually there, I kind of wanted to. I was a little emotional too, which is weird because I haven't been emotional the whole time.

The peeling is picking up and I think today has been my itchiest so far. The areas that have already peeled are a lighter red underneath and they don't hurt like they did before. Progress.

• kamboka
    Options

The plastic wrap pulled off the top layer of some of my breast so I stopped using it. Luckily, I was able to go today without the telfa pad on my open skin. I think it's finally starting to heal.

Last week, I missed not having anywhere to go. This week, I have acupuncture and my counseling so something to look forward to.

mocame: Sorry your skin is so itchy. I'm happy I don't have that side effect with my peeling skin.

• blue22
    blue22 Member Posts: 172
    Options

Hi Everyone!

I also started rads in October, but haven't posted. I loosely followed the group, but I had other BC drama going on - so haven't followed too closely and didn't post.

I finished my initial treatment (25 rounds) and am now getting a boost to the scar line. My armpit is really red and blistered, and it hurts to move. I am also really red and loosing skin on a spot on my chest above a lymph node they were specifically targeting that was found on my initial PET scan but not removed during surgery. The remaining area that was targeted is quite red, but more annoying than painful. I am also having weird phantom sensations in my chest which I guess are from nerves regenerating. It feels like I still have a nipple.

The 25 treatments went really fast. I can't wait to be done with the boosts!

• petite1
    Options

Today is the first boost day. The weekend was painful. My nipple is so sensitive, it woke me up several times last night. The rash is terrible and a couple places have opened up. I am not sure my skin can make it through the boosts. Top it all off, my 98 year old mother is in the hospital. She is 2 hours away. I will go down there after treatment today.