Come join others currently navigating treatment in our weekly Zoom Meetup! Register here: Tuesdays, 1pm ET.
Fill Out Your Profile to share more about you. Learn more...

November 2019 Chemo Club

Options

Comments

• Eigna
    Eigna Member Posts: 256
    Options

Hello ladies. I finally made it home. Although my neutrophils are still low but they did increase from yesterday. Doctor wanted me to stay in but since it was Christmas Eve she gave me the option of getting the neupogen injection and go home but will need to go back for a blood test on Friday. So I'm glad to be home but now I have to deal with this horrible back pain. I just took some Claritin and going to bed. hope it helps me out.

Merry Christmas ladies! Happy holidays

• WC3
    WC3 Member Posts: 658
    Options

LisaKPisa:

About the flushed cheeks after your port placement, it might have been from dexamethasone withdrawal. Sometimes they administer it during surgeries.

• LuluB1
    LuluB1 Member Posts: 1
    Options

hi! Sorry for jumping in late, but started chemo on Nov 13. Triple negative breast cancer, I'm starting with Taxol weekly with carboplatin every 3rd week. Next I'll do the other 2 drugs bi-weekly for 8 weeks (4 treatments). So far I feel pretty luckyin the side effects area, but have started to feel like I’ve moved to another country where no one else really speaks the language. I have a great family and support team, and they mean well, but talking to them has become a mind field. I think I’m just looking for people to talk to that won’t over react at crazy questions or suggest I call the doctor at each new side effect.

• margo53
    margo53 Member Posts: 131
    Options

Hi and welcome LuluB to our group. I ( and others ) totally understand where you are. Glad you found this site, I have learned so much here. ...

I have found many outsiders, friends, relatives, etc that don’t know anything about BC and try to tell me they wouldn’t do chemo or have you looked at “ natural” treatments, all kinds of crazy advise people come up with don’t have a clue.... you get my point I’m sure....

I’m glad your SE have been minimal. Mine havnt been too bad, except for bone pain from Neulasta.

Feel free to jump right in with your experiences, I’m sure we can all benefit from encouraging each other as we fight this battle daily together. We get it.

Merry Christmas to all

• Dixie02
    Dixie02 Member Posts: 74
    Options

JRNJ, I went to the bonfires last night, and thought of you. LOL. Between fireworks, and all of the bonfires, there was a lot going into the air.

Eigna, big hugs to you.

Lulu, welcome to our group.

Merry Christmas, Ladies!

• moderators
    moderators Posts: 8,057
    Options

We welcome you Lulu, and wish you all a loving holiday. Knowing this will be a tough year, we are here for you all.

Medicating

• jrnj
    jrnj Member Posts: 407
    Options

Dixie. Enjoy what makes you happy! I’m a real buzz kill at parties with chimeneas when I’m like fire is pollution lol. But I love fireworks and sit front row getting pelted with soot. And I know I should be eating healthier now but I’m like I’m going to eat as much chocolate peppermint bark as I want, I need some enjoyment lol!

• Charliebug
    Charliebug Member Posts: 96
    Options

I hope everyone was able to have a Merry Christmas with their family and/or friends this year

Hug

My nausea carried through the holiday but I just took it in stride and did what I could and ate crackers and drank water and gingerale. I couldn't resist coffee with pumpkin spice Baileys though so had to have that lol. I overcooked the Christmas dinner roast but I couldn't taste it anyhow so was feeling sorry for everyone else. The potatoes and gravy were good though!

I was spoiled rotten with beautiful and fun gifts, one being the game Jenga which we played Christmas morning. So much fun! Everyone else seemed to really enjoy their gifts but it was the music and movies and games and visiting that really brought us the most joy.

Monday is my last round of AC and boy, I can't wait until it's all over and I'm feeling back to my old self again.

Here's looking forward to a healthy and happy 2020 for you. We have to get through a few bumps in the road but we're on the right path and we'll get there.

Take care

Charlie

• Eigna
    Options

Hello everyone!

So I went in today for my follow up and my blood test results were good! The neutrophils went up and are within in a normal level. Now if only I can get rid of this cold before my next chemo... other than that I don’t have any other symptoms!

Charliebug- woo hoo! I’m cheering you on ! Last round must be exciting! You can do it!

• bkerber
    bkerber Member Posts: 37
    Options

I have a question. What determines whether you receive ACT or just CT? I've tried to determine this by looking at your diagnosis but I cant. I will be starting CT in January due to a high mammaprint score. Everything you post helps those of us who are yet to start. I really have learned so much from all of you.
    Thank you!

• Charliebug
    Options

Final AC infusion done! Now when I'm not feeling so hot over the next week or so I will remind myself I am almost done :)

Happy New Year to everyone! I wish you all the best in life in 2020

XO Charlie

• Eigna
    Options

Great stuff Charliebug! Woo hoo! Time to celebrate! Bye bye 2019!

I wish for all of us a better year!!! 2020 must be better than 2019!

Wishing all of you the very best for 2020! Only the best! 😘.

• Eigna
    Options

Day 16 after first round of TC : starting to lose 🙁. The loss is real. I don't know how I feel at this point. I have an appointment on Sunday to shave it off but don't know if I will be ready for this experience.

• margo53
    Options

Eigna.... I totally understand where you are....it’s pretty devastating, esp if you have nice pretty hair. Mine started shedding about Day 14. That day I had it cut about an inch or less all over. That way I didn’t have to look at long hair on my pillow or in my shower drain. I felt more in control. Then I buzzed it all about a week later. There are some cute scarves and caps/ beanies on Amazon. One thing I like, and this sounds crazy.....is I put away all my numerous hair products, hair dryer and can get ready so much faster when I do somewhere....I have always had fine, thin, problem hair that is struggle to be able to make it look decent, so I’m really hoping it comes back different and better than it was. Dunno if this is helpful but I get it and thankful it’s temporary.❤️

• UpstateNYer
    UpstateNYer Member Posts: 331
    Options

Margo53- my hair is coming back slowly and very thick. It has grown back about 1.5 inches to date. Last chemo was July 10th.

• Charliebug
    Options

AC Round 4 Day 6

Howdy!

I've managed to stay on top of the nausea this round. It's still there but very mild and I can "ignore" it for the most part. That means I've been waking up during the night to take the meds but I am happy to do that if it means I'm not feeling pukey the next day. I have noticed some other side effects the past couple of rounds. Does anyone else notice their eyes leaking and stinging and getting gummy at night? Ear wax build up is insane too! Post nasal drip is constant it seems. I guess this stuff comes out everywhere you can think of (eww- sorry). The skin on my face this morning is very bumpy and red- not a rash I don't think, just crappy looking skin. It makes sense that this poison sends your body into hyper drive trying to fight it off any way it can and your skin, eyes, ears and throat will react to that. These side effects are no big deal in the grand scheme of things but it will be nice to see them go away with everything else. Hopefully Taxol doesn't have the same effects.

So I am officially either in the middle of the worst part of round 4 or I have passed it. I am not sure yet since every round seemed to have a surprise for me lol. If I have passed it, yippee!!! I haven't had any major moments of fatigue yet but it's possible I slept through that, not sure.

I hope everyone had a good New Year! I was in bed by 9 but that's no different than any other year for me- morning person here lol!

If I have the energy today, I need to go get some new winter boots. We got blasted with a lot of snow over the past week (it's melting now though) and my old boots just don't cut it anymore. I need to stop spending money though but it's hard when boredom sets in lol!

Send updates please. I hope everyone is coping okay and getting the support they need

XO

Charlie

• Eigna
    Options

Hi Charliebug! Other than my hair loss issue I’m fine. Going back on Monday for blood test and follow up with MO and then second infusion on Tuesday.

As for your eyes, ears I hope you don’t have and infection like conjunctivitis and ear infection. That may be a side effect from your cold. Keep a close eye on it. As for the rash on your face I had it on day 9-10 and it cleared up on it’s own. They say it’s a side effect of chemo but I will confirm it on Monday with MO.

• Charliebug
    Options

Thanks Eigna. I actually don't have a cold and the eyes/ears thing aren't signs of infection, more signs of just leaking chemo lol. I will definitely keep an eye on it but I'm pretty sure it's just par for the course for me with this treatment. It should all be cleared up soon hopefully and then onto Taxol.

Sorry you're having such a hard time with your hair loss. I guess I just didn't think too much about it and it doesn't weigh on me but I had short hair to begin with so I know it will be back before I know it (hopefully). I definitely want it back to a pixie before my wedding in the fall at least :)

• RadQueen
    RadQueen Member Posts: 310
    Options

Just a quick update. My MO gave me the holidays off from the start of Taxol. He said it should not effect my treatment. My WBC is as high as it's ever been, even one point higher than when I started. My lymphocytes are jut below 1000 so that's good the only labs that are bad is my hem. which is just a little low only one point. As my body is constantly making new RBC that's OK.

I start my 12 weeks of Taxol Monday. They say it's not as bad as the AC but the SE look to be even worse than the AC. I guess I will find out next week. My nurse navigator for chemo thinks that I am bionic. She can't believe how my blood counts have rebounded during treatment, and the lack of sever SE. Besides the hair loss and some fatigue that's about all the SE I've had to endure. The nurse said I must be doing something right.

Will probably go to the weekly Taxol page from now on, but will still check in with my peeps.

Wishing everyone a Happy New Year and praying for all of us to get through this and be well.

• amyhey
    amyhey Member Posts: 42
    Options

Hi everyone! Wish I had found you sooner! I started TC chemo on November 26 and am scheduled to have my 3rd infusion this coming Wednesday. I am scheduled for 6 treatments followed by 30 radiation treatments. My first treatment was tough, but I learned many lessons that helped with the second. Drinking tons of water and starting Senna the day of my infusion made a world of difference. The fatigue was worse with the second and I had horrible hot flashes. I also felt like I was starting with a cold and had some eye problems. Claritin and eye drops took care of it pretty quickly. I have been pretty sad since New Year’s Eve. It’s hard to celebrate when I know I’m gonna be feeling sick half the year! I’ll go look at previous posts to get to know everyone a little better. I’ll have plenty of time next week when I can’t get off the couch!

• Eigna
    Options

I finally did it. I shaved it off today and I feel good. I feel liberated. There was hair all over the place. No more mess. I thought I was going to cry but I didn't it. We are stronger than we think we are. 💪

Now I'm facing another problem. My hubby is just starting a cold and I will be doing chemo this week... now what do I do?????

• amyhey
    Options

I know what you mean about feeling liberated. I did have a good cry, but then I was OK. We deserve to have our hair grow back thick and beautiful though!

I hope your hubby recovers quickly. I think I would have to send mine to the guest bedroom if he came down with something! I think having a cold along with chemo recovery would be horrible!

Good luck with chemo this week. I have mine on Wednesday

• Eigna
    Options

All clear for me. Blood test results wgood. Tomorrow is Round 2 TC. Here I come! Ready for it ! 💪 🥊 We can do this ! Just remember all these side effects are temporary. Soon it will be all over.

How are you doing Dixie? Everything good?

• Charliebug
    Options

Round 4 Day 9

Great news Eigna! Good luck on round 2 today!

I am hopefully through the majority of SEs for my last round of AC now. It snowed like crazy over yesterday and this morning and clearing my car off to drive to the store and carrying a few bags back inside when I got home took all the energy I could muster. Hopefully my energy will return very soon.

My Dad (72) called yesterday. He has bladder cancer. We won't know the stage or treatment plan before his surgery and pathology are complete which will happen at some point before the end of the month. The good news is he is in excellent shape. He bikes 50 miles a week! I understand bladder cancer is one of the more treatable ones and his was caught before he showed any symptoms other than just not feeling well in general. I am trying to stay positive still about everything but these shoes keep on dropping it seems.

Good news though- Mark and I set the date for our wedding. I will be Mrs Mark (haha) on September 19th. I am 48 and never married so I am excited to do a little bit of planning but I've never been a huge fan of all the pomp and crap that comes with weddings. Ours will be a back yard wedding with just family- about 12 people in total so nice and intimate. It gives me something to look forward to and a place for my mind to go when things start to get me down.

Would love to see some more updates from everyone. Dixie, where are you? I hope all is well! Or as well as can be expected.

Write soon!

Charlie

• Eigna
    Options

Hi Charliebug- I’m doing good 😊 day 2 of round 2 today. Feel nauseous a bit but it’s under control with medication and some food. Drinking lots of fluids.

As for your father, I’m sorry to hear that but I want to reassure you that he will be okay. My dad was diagnosed also with bladder cancer in his forties and he is still alive thank God and he’s in his 80s. It is very treatable but he needs to be followed and treated accordingly. I’m sending you a big hug 🤗!

Yes I’m also wondering about Dixie02 if she’s doing ok? Also we have a long time to hear from LisaKPisa. She’s the one who started thisthread but we don’t have any news from her in a while. I hope she’s ok.

• amyhey
    Options

Here I am receiving #3 of 6 as I write this, feeling very discouraged. My liver enzymes are elevated so they are reducing the Taxotere dose today and the oncologist said if they don’t come down they will have to continue to give me the lower dose or stop chemo all together. Apparently there is nothing I can do to help the situation either. As much as I hate chemo, I also don’t want to stop before I have to. They don’t have any plans to check my liver either, so I may pay a visit to my family doctor and see what he thinks.

• Charliebug
    Options

I am sorry to hear you're feeling down Amyhey. My understanding of liver enzymes is they can show as elevated in blood tests without there actually being any damage to the liver. Try not to worry too much about stopping treatment just yet. Liver enzymes can change quite a bit between tests! Mine have changed radically between my first chemo treatment and now (4 rounds). Mine have changed for the better actually but this is just to tell you not to count your chickens just yet. Hang in there!

• margo53
    Options

Amyhey.... if it’s any comfort to you, I have been reading ALOT lately about studies showing that less dosage amount does just as well as higher dosages. Sorry I don’t knownore details than that but you could google it. I have been obsessed lately about alternative therapy to do after my chemo is over....also lifestyle changes...amazing reads and stories

• Eigna
    Options

Hello ladies - I'm doing a bit better today. Day 3 and 4 I felt very tired and some body aches and chills. I finally took a Tylenol yesterday night before going to bed. Day 5 today: Feel a bit better this morning. Checking my temperature every now and then. I'm so paranoid from last time Round. So far so good. Hoping to keep it this way.

• Charliebug
    Options

So glad things are going smoothly so far Eigna :)

My first Taxol treatment was supposed to be tomorrow but my blood work shows low hemoglobin and platelets so I am going for a blood transfusion instead. I am told I will feel really good after that so I might get some housework done that has been on the back burner for a while now lol. Imagine a whole week with energy and no nausea? Wow!! I hope I get the blood of a young athlete :)

We are supposed to be hit with a deep freeze here starting tomorrow. Daytime temps of about 7 F! I hope my car starts tomorrow to get me to my appointment but I do have a back up plan if that doesn't work out. Once I get home tomorrow, I will not be sticking my nose out the door for the good part of the week lol!

I am starting to get concerned Lisa and Dixie- please update when you get a chance.

Charlie