Come join others currently navigating treatment in our weekly Zoom Meetup! Register here: Tuesdays, 1pm ET.
Fill Out Your Profile to share more about you. Learn more...

November 2019 Chemo Club

Options

Comments

• amyhey
    amyhey Member Posts: 42
    Options

Charlie, I had a bad rash after my last treatment and they told me to take Benadryl. It cleared it up pretty quickly. It has popped up a couple of times since, but to a much lesser degree. I’m also pretty tired and I think it’s normal and cumulative. Hope you have a great weekend!

Amy

• Charliebug
    Charliebug Member Posts: 96
    Options

Thanks Amy! I will get some Benedryl. You would think taking Claritin every day I wouldn't need another allergy pill but maybe Benedryl is stronger or something. I will meet with an oncologist next Thursday so if the rash is still there, she can prescribe me something. I decided I am going in the hot tub tonight and I don't care if it hurts the rash or makes it worse. Mark doesn't keep it too hot so that won't be a problem. It's just nice to soak and relax :)

• amyhey
    Options

Charlie, they also said I could try Zantac for the rash if you don’t want to take Benadryl

• Charliebug
    Options

I just looked that up Amy. I had no idea Zantac was an H2 histamine blocker! I thought why on earth would I take an antacid for a skin rash? LOL! I am running out soon and will get some. I hope Zantac is back on the shelves now. There was a recall in October but I'm sure they fixed whatever the problem is by now. Thank you SOOO Much for that info Amy!

• jrnj
    jrnj Member Posts: 407
    Options

I think it’s still recalled. I loved it. Pepsid is in the same class of Medicine, histamine blocker. Prilosec is different. Also I don’t like Claritin. My nurse said I could take Allegra.

• Eigna
    Eigna Member Posts: 256
    Options

Good morning ladies! Just wanted to say hi! Hope everyone will have a nice weekend. I’m doing good I just feel blah don’t exactly why but it kinda sucks I’ve gained 3 lbs since the beginning of chemo. I know I’m the one to blame for all this unfortunately. I’ve been eating sweets and chips. I have to stop somehow. I’m seeing the nutritionist today but I kinda feel like canceling my appointment cuz I’m not too proud of this

• Charliebug
    Options

Good morning all :)

Yes, Zantac and all over-the-counter medications containing ranitidine are still recalled. Oh well, I will just talk to the oncologist next week and see what she can do for me if the rash doesn't go away on its own by then.

Eigna- I can gain 3 lbs by looking sideways at a bowl of pasta. Do not skip your appt with the nutritionist because of this! Allow yourself the small pleasures life affords you right now and do NOT worry about the number on the scale. You can worry about that afterward when your body is healthy and working at 100% again. I'm sure your nutritionist will tell you the same thing!

I've decided I am going to "ask" (tell) the oncologist next week that I would like to skip the Lapelga (Neulasta) shot on my next round. It comes with its own set of side effects and I want to see if my body is capable of producing the white blood cells it needs without it. I get why they are recommended and I have taken every one so far but if I can just skip one or two that would be great. We'll see what they say :)

I hope everyone has a good weekend, or at least is able to rest comfortably.

Charlie

• jrnj
    Options

Charlie, You can try Pepsid, it is similar. And I agree on eating habits, from what I read eat what makes you feel better during chemo and don't worry so much about weight gain. And some weight gain is water retention which you can't prevent. And I also have asked twice to skip the Neulasta and didn't get very good responses and decided not to push it. But I think it is really making me sick on day 3 and 4. But I'm not having the bone pain issue. MY WBC has been like 19, very high, but they said that's "normal" for Neulasta. My obnoxious nurse is like, insurance approved it and if you don't take it you need to come back to be monitored and possibly get shots. SO!, that is why I picked you 10 minutes from my house, so I could be treated properly. Now I'm afraid to skip it and get really sick.

• Charliebug
    Options

Thanks JRNJ. Unfortunately, they pulled Pepsid off the shelves as well- at least they did at the pharmacy I go to. I will take a look around for it at other stores though if I get a chance.

Yeah, we'll see if I'm allowed to skip the shot. Looking at my WBC results over the past few months, it looks like my WBC is all over the map so it's likely they won't recommend I skip it but I give myself the injections- they can't actually force me to take them. I won't risk it though unless my next blood test shows a really high WBC. Obviously I don't want an infection but I would really like a couple of weeks with mild side effects instead of the SLAM I get coming down off the steroids and then the effects of the shot.

• jrnj
    Options

I hear ya. It stinks. I have the Onpro attached to my arm and I’ve thought about ripping it off. If I had a shot I would wait a day or two and see if it made a difference. That’s really weird about pepsid. It is not recalled. I’m getting it in my iv and over the counter. FDA recommends it as an alternative. I guess Canada is different

• Eigna
    Options

Charliebug - I don’t know about not doing the Neulasta injection but since you are at your last cycle I guess you can take the chance. You don’t have another chemo lined up so I guess it should be ok.

• Charliebug
    Options

Eigna- I will make an informed decision, not to worry. I will talk to the oncologist and if she strongly recommends I need the shot then I will take the shot.

• Eigna
    Options

Hey ladies - I’m going in for my 3rd TC treatment tomorrow. Wish me good luck 😉!

• margo53
    margo53 Member Posts: 131
    Options

Eigna.... hope all goes well this week for you

• UpstateNYer
    UpstateNYer Member Posts: 331
    Options

charliebug, I was not given neulasta after final chemo infusion. MO said it was not necessary.

• Charliebug
    Options

That makes sense thanks UpstateNYer! I still have 3 more infusions to go so I will most likely do 2 more shots. Better safe than sorry I have decided. It's so tempting to want to skip one or more but I would not be a happy camper if I got an infection or worse!

• UpstateNYer
    UpstateNYer Member Posts: 331
    Options

Charliebug, I so wanted off Neulasta from day one. I was told that the patch was "mandatory", so I did not argue. I took Claritin but still felt it added to my discomfort. Hang tough. I wanted to quit after my second chemo infusion, but glad I toughed it out. Got so much love and support from the BCO threads. That helped immensely. God Bless. Pat😊

• RadQueen
    RadQueen Member Posts: 310
    Options

Greeting all, hearing all the problems with the Neulasta shots I am so glad my MO did not prescribe them for me. My WBC got very low once during the AC part of my chemo but jumped back up 4 days later. That was the week I caught a head cold. In the weeks between my AC and Taxol treatments my WBC was back to pre chemo numbers. I had asked my MO about Neulasta in the beginning and he told me that he feels it causes more problems that it solves. If your numbers are good and jumping back it may not be necessary. He only prescribes it if your numbers get low and stay low.

Am on week 4 of Taxol now only 8 more to go WOOWOO. Am so ready to put this all behind me. Get my counts back to normal and get back to work. My coworkers and doctors in the ER are really missing me. It's nice to be appreciated, too bad they don't realize it till your not there. LOL Something tells me when I get back they will still be just as demanding as when I left. But I have to say they all have been great during all of this with most of them calling to check on me and see if I need anything. They even had Tee shirts made for me during Oct. and wore them on my Chemo days.

Blessings to all keep it up we got this....

• jrnj
    Options

Thanks radqueen. Today is my bad Neulasta day, shot last night. Struggling on whether to push my dr about it or struggle through.

• Charliebug
    Options

Taxol Round 1 Day 13

Good morning all :)

Happy to report the rash has subsided significantly so, unless it returns, I am not going to ask for a prescription or anything for it. I guess it's just another one of those things that can pop up for some people. I am enjoying my second week between rounds so no major SEs. My fingers and, less so, my toes are still feeling a little numb although I am able to ignore that most of the time. I need to get out and exercise. I can talk myself out of that pretty easily but I really do need to make the effort. We have had mild temps here lately and the snow is melting fast. There is no excuse for not going for a walk!

RadQueen- congrats on only 8 weeks to go! That is so amazing of your work to get t-shirts made and wear them in support of you! My work has been amazing too. We are very fortunate to have work places that support us when so many don't.

UpStateNyer- I have decided I will tough it out on the Neulasta. I am so close to being done and, as tempting as it is to skip the SEs, I am just going to do it and deal with it.

Eigna- how is your latest round going?

I was very relieved to learn from a lady on this site, who happens to be local to me, that the drive to and from my radiation appointments in April will be okay and I won't be too tired to drive. I was worried I would have to rely on ride shares or our stupid transit system and my independence is very important to me. Phew! I do have family in the city where I will be commuting to so if I get too tired to drive at any time, I can stop and visit and have a nap.

I hope everyone is getting through this week okay.

Charlie

• Eigna
    Options

Hey Charliebug - I am doing fine. Chemo day went fine yesterday. I feel a bit tired today. Just taking it easy today. Dreading the Neulasta shot due tonight. But will get through it. I see you have already a date set for your rads. Is it about one month after chemo finishes? I am meeting the radio oncologist next week so I guess I will have a date set when rads treatments will begin. You should be ok to drive yourself to appointments and drive back home. I’m planning to do the same.

• Charliebug
    Options

Eigna- I actually don't have a date set to start rads. I am guessing it will be April since my oncologist told me there would be 3-4 weeks between end of chemo and starting radiation. Not sure when I can expect to hear from the radiation clinic.

• amyhey
    Options

Just got home from chemo number 4. 2 more to go! It amazes me how every single one is different! I felt drunk when it was over, like I had drank a bottle of wine...weird! My liver enzymes were even higher this time, but I was still able to get chemo. They are going to do an ultrasound just for peace of mind. Wish I knew some trick to lower the enzymes!

Charlie, my doctor called in a prescription for hydroxyzine for the itching to take as needed.

Hope everyone has a good week!

• margo53
    Options

glad it went well Amy! I was reading the Taxotere insert and it says it has alcohol in it. I was very surprised 😮

Hope your ultrasound turns out ok

• amyhey
    Options

Margo, I didn’t know that! Probably explains why it’s wrecking my liver too!

• margo53
    Options

could be! Scary stuff they give us

Google Taxotere drug insert.

• Dixie02
    Dixie02 Member Posts: 74
    Options

Hi, Ladies! I'm at my infusion for adriamycin and Cisplatin, the nurse said it'll take about 6 hours. I have some fluid build up in my breast, so I was given an appointment tomorrow to have that drained, and then an ultrasound. This is my first time on the new chemo so I hope that I'm in good spirits for all of that tomorrow.

I'm otherwise doing OK. A little bored. I've been working a lot less, so I try not to spend money on entertaining myself. Mardi Gras is starting soon, I like when the city decorates for that.

Hope all of you are doing well.

• Eigna
    Options

Good luck Dixie02 with your new chemo treatment. Hope everything will go well for you. One step at a time. You can do this! How many cycles? Please let us know how you are doing.

• Dixie02
    Dixie02 Member Posts: 74
    Options

Thanks. I'm doing four cycles of this.

• margo53
    Options

hi Dixie.... I had my infusion today too! My LAST one!

Amyhey.....I noticed today too that I felt drunk during the Taxotere infusion! I meant to ask the nurse about the alcohol but I forgot.

My doctor gave me extra fluids today. For some reason my BP likes to bottom out when I go to get chemo....I’m pretty sure I didn’t drink enough yesterday.

For my cough, my Dr gave me IV antibiotics. He really thinks my cough is from the Taxotere....causing pneumonitis.... also getting a chest X-ray tomorrow. He reduced my dosage today by 25%. I can already tell my cough is better! Unbelievable! Could be the steroids in my pre- infusion too