Come join others currently navigating treatment in our weekly Zoom Meetup! Register here: Tuesdays, 1pm ET.
Fill Out Your Profile to share more about you. Learn more...

November 2019 Chemo Club

Options

Comments

• amyhey
    amyhey Member Posts: 42
    Options

radqueen do you take steroids any days other than the day of infusion? After my 2nd infusion, my MO gave me a RX and said I could take them for a few days after because it might help with side effects, but I’m not sure if I want to do it again because, even though I take them early, they still keep me awake at night. Even with Ativan, I can’t sleep. I go for my 5th treatment on Wednesday and then just one more!!!

• Charliebug
    Charliebug Member Posts: 96
    Options

Good morning ladies :)

Eigna- congratulations on your last round of chemo! That is wonderful! Ring that bell loud and strong :)

RadQueen- you rocked AC and it sounds like you're rocking Taxol too- good for you!

I have my second to last round of Taxol tomorrow. I went to the hospital lab on Saturday for my blood work and the results were back within the hour posted on the health portal. Looks like I am good to go! My platelets are great- they've even increased. My white blood cell count is perfect, even with only half the Neulasta shot. I am hoping I will be able to take 1/2 again this time and that will be it for that. I know I will be getting 80% of the Taxol infusion again. My fingertips and toes still have some numbness but they haven't gotten any worse so that's good.

I promised my oncologist I wouldn't lose any more weight. I have been skipping some meals because I wasn't able to taste anything so lost interest in eating. I have lost about 18 lbs since November (pounds that I could definitely afford to lose!) and she doesn't like that. She would prefer I lose weight after my treatment is done so I don't come out of this "like a wet noodle". My taste buds have rebounded to about 80% so I am sure I put a pound or two back on over the past week. Gaining weight is not a problem for me at all lol.

I am still not exercising enough. I am definitely more fatigued with Taxol than i was with AC but I will take that over nausea any day. Today is a holiday in certain parts of Canada (Family Day) so Mark and I are heading out shopping. I will get some walking in for sure.

I hope you're all having a good one today :)

Charlie

• Eigna
    Eigna Member Posts: 256
    Options

Charlie - doctor told me to take the Neulasta even if it’s the last round. I’ve put on a few pounds since traitement 😬 not very proud. I’m home all the time so I keep on baking for the kids. And chips are in the house so I can’t help but eat some too. I told myself I will be more careful after chemo. 🙄!

• amyhey
    Options

Eigna, I have also put on weight with chemo. Part of my problem is not getting any exercise. Just taking a shower wears me out! I’m also eating more than I should. I met with a nutritionist last week and she said now is not the time to diet, so I guess this summer I will have to do bettee

• Charliebug
    Options

Eigna- that is strange your onco still wants you to have Neulasta after your last round but it just goes to show, every treatment seems to be a little different depending on your doctor and whatever protocols are in place where you are. I think a lot of people gain weight during chemo due to the steroids, inactivity, etc. I just happened to lose weight but it was on purpose. I won't lose anymore now until it's done.

My last round will most likely fall on my birthday so I am bringing cupcakes to chemo with me. White cake with white whipped icing and sprinkles :)

• Eigna
    Options

Charliebug- good idea for the cupcakes. Actually today at the clinic there was a lady who was celebrating her birthday and she was giving out cupcakes too ! Regarding the Neulasta, I guess each case is different!

To all the ladies - Today was my last TC chemo treatment!!! Woo hoo! Chemo done ✅! Onto the next step: radiation. Is anybody going onto radiation after this? I don’t have dates yet. Time to recover from chemo. Stay strong everyone! We got this!

• amyhey
    Options

Eigna, Congratulations! I have chemo tomorrow and then again March 11. I have to have 30 radiation treatments when I am done. Please keep us updated on how it goes for you.

• Charliebug
    Options

Eigna- yay for your last chemo!!! Did you ring the bell?

I will have radiation following chemo, yes, 5 days a week for 5 weeks. I have an appt with the radiation oncologist on March 3rd to meet her and get the lay of the land. I am not sure when radiation will start just yet but I assume it will be a few weeks following that.

Amyhey- I hope your infusion goes well today :)

Chemo yesterday was fine. Started off with a bang though when I accidentally scraped the front passenger side of the truck parked next to the stall I was trying to get into. Luckily I have an excellent driving record so this is considered a "freebie" that won't affect my insurance premiums. I left a note on the truck and the man I hit called me back and we exchanged information. I was so relieved he wasn't a dick about it and he was very thankful I left a note. His truck is pretty fancy. I'm sure the paint and repair will cost a few grand- eek. Thank goodness for insurance!

• amyhey
    Options

Thanks charliebug! I just finished number 5 and it was uneventful! One more and I’m done until radiation! My oncologist said she will schedule the port removal for a couple of weeks after my last infusion, so first part of April. I can’t wait to get it out! My liver enzymes were much better today, so it was a good idea to cut back on the Taxotere dose. That sucks about the parking accident but I’m glad the other person wasn’t awful about it.

• Eigna
    Options

Hey Charliebug- no there was no bell to ring at the hospital I go to. But I was happy to say goodbye to all the nurses that were there. They were very nice I cannot complain. But time to move on.

Amy / one more to go. You can do it! 😊.

• Charliebug
    Options

Eigna- No bell?! Oh well, it's nice you were treated well and everything went okay and you can now move on :)

Amyhey- did you get a port because of vein issues or fear or needles, or is that something they do with everyone? I never had a port put in but I understand the insertion isn't fun although it does help some people a lot once they're in. So glad your liver enzymes have improved :)

• amyhey
    Options

Charliebug I have really small, hard to find veins. Getting the port inserted was really hard on me, but they say taking it out is a piece of cake

• Charliebug
    Options

Amyhey- so glad the hard part of the port is over for you! I have had a couple of instances where my veins were hiding but that was apparently because they were "tired" as the nurse told me. I have to have all the needles for chemo and for my blood work done in my right arm as the left arm is off limits due to the lymph node removal on that side and the risk of lymphadema. My right arm has been through some hell lol!

• amyhey
    Options

Charliebug I can’t use my right arm because of lymph node involvement. My friend has lymphedema and it is not fun. I guard my right arm with my life! How are you feeling?

• Charliebug
    Options

Amyhey- I am feeling pretty good today. The steroids haven't quite worn off yet. Tomorrow I will crash after my last (yay!) Neulasta injection and I will likely sleep for a day or so and then should be back in the real world, albeit with varying levels of energy lol!

• Charliebug
    Options

Just gave myself my very last Lapelga (Neulasta) injection. I know I will crash soon but it feels so good that this will soon be over :) It's the final stretch now!!!

• Eigna
    Options

Woo hoo Charliebug! Had my Neulasta injection yesterday and I’m feeling it already. Last stretch definitely! We can do this! 🙌 we got this!

• Charliebug
    Options

Round 3 Day 5 Taxol

Eigna- thanks for your words of encouragement. We definitely "got this"!

I am feeling better today than yesterday but will still be dragging myself through the day for sure. We are expecting some snow today after days of sunshine and melting but I have no plans to go anywhere so it's all good with me. This *should* be the last blast of winter for us hopefully and then we can move on to the joys of spring weather.

I hope everyone is doing well- or as well as can be expected.

Take care

Charlie

• Eigna
    Options

Hey Charliebug - yesterday and before yesterday it was hard! But now I’m feeling better! Tired but better! I’m dragging myself too today but it’s all good. Nice sunny day today. Will try to go outside for a bit and breathe some fresh air.

• RadQueen
    RadQueen Member Posts: 310
    Options

Amyhey,

Sorry it has taken me so long to reply. Have been off my computer for the last week. My MO did not prescribe any additional steroids only the ones I get with the infusions. He is more of a lets see what happens first kinda guy. Like I said he did not even give me Neulasta, he said it causes more problems than it helps with. As long as my WBC didn't tank completely he would not use it. I still think the key is all the water I drink the day of infusion, When I was taking the Adermycen aka Red Devil, by 10 pm that night my urine would be clear, no more red. I really believe that the excess water helped flush the chemo through. I even worry that I kinda pushed it through my stem too fast, my MO said not to worry about that what I did was OK and actually good for me and he wishes all of his patients could do that.

I go for Taxol #8 today so only 5 more weeks WOOWOO. Hopefully in two to three weeks later all my counts will get back to normal and I can get back to work. So here I am starting to drink my first of 2Lt. of water this morning. On the bright side my hair is starting to slowly come back, it is maybe 1/2 inch now. My hair was always very fine so it will take a while for it to come back like it was, but it is growing.

Keep the faith ladies we got this.

• amyhey
    Options

Sounds like everyone is hanging in there. I spent most of the weekend in bed watching British crime shows and feeling pretty rough. I realize that when I’m up, I move around too fast and try to get too many things done, which wears me out, so I’ve learned to move a little slower. I’m looking forward to getting my energy and hair back...I really miss my hair! Thanks for the water reminder radqueen. Off to hydrate myself

• jrnj
    jrnj Member Posts: 407
    Options

I need to catch, got really busy. In addition to my issues, my 12 yo daughter got braces, and has a cyst in her ear and needs surgery. We got cat scans on the same day last week.

Bejeweled, thanks for your concern.

Eigna, Contgrats!!!! I've been asking for Neulasta alternative for weeks, it was killing me, finally got it. More details below. He probably doesn't want to chance delaying port removal and radiation.

Dixie, So sorry!!! Take the meds. Zofran is working for me. They also gave me lorazapem, and Compazine as backup, and I bought pepsid, immodium, pepto bismo, Mylanta, Colace, senakot, probiotics. And of course my fav, Lunesta. Take as needed. I think you are on red devil, it's supposed to be the worst, but the most effective. Glad your not taking Neulasta, my side effects from it were bad.

Margo, good luck with the cough. Hopefully it will get better and just be temporary.

Amy, its ok to take Zofran every day. I took it every day for 8 months during my daughters pregnancy. Is that why shes crazy hyper and ADHD? Nah, its hereditary, she's just like my husband except he's lazy lol. Ativan won't work for me for extended sleep, you need something stronger. I take Lunesta extended release at night, and on really bad days, not that often, I wake up at 4:00 and take an Ativan, and sleep til 9 or 10. I'm done with chemo 3/9.

Charlie, So we both got "reduced' Neulasta in different ways, but hopefully works for both of us. I know neulasta could be reduced in shot form, but to much paperwork for them....... They gave me one shot of zaraxio, ever heard of it? Didn't work great, but enough to get chemo. I'm having no problem gaining weight. I need ice cream now! Going to take a break, lol. And THANKS FOR BEING HONEST. I've been hit and run several times in my life.

RAd Queen, everyone, Does everyone have blood in the nose all the time? Is that normal? I have that consistently and worry about brain damage.

So my update. I skipped Neulasta 2 weeks ago. Felt better. They tested my blood, I was a tiny bit low, they gave me a shot of zaraxio, similar to nuepogen. Anyone heard of it? I also informed my nurse I stopped statins for a few weeks, my primary oked it. I also said I am waking up with numb hands, mostly right, so it may be lymphedema. She says oh no, it's probably a herniated disk. Same thing my inexperienced PA said before bmx!!!, I had chronic arm pain that went away after the cancer was removed, it is cancer or chemo related people!!!!! Then she says Dr. will probably send you to nuerologist. I'm thinking, how will he send me if I'm not seeing him today? I was kind of testing her and she failed. She didn't tell anyone what I told her and I left. Doesn't matter, I don't want to see a neurologist with one more chemo session left. It's only numb when I'm laying down. I am doctoring myself. So although my nurse and Drs. assistant are very rude and inattentive, the head nurse assured me I am well taken care of and if I need the shot, I will get the shot and chemo will not be delayed. Had chemo today and feeling the usual tired, headache, but overall all is well and my last session is in 2 weeks, yah!!! Better not to rock the boat. Telling the Dr. his staff is rude and making mistakes will get me nowhere but more anxiety knowing they all hate me.

I know I complain a lot, but I am grateful for the positive, I love being home from work, dont' want to go back SickTired

I'm bonding more with my daughter and we redid her room. My heart goes out to you all that have severe side effects. I hope you feel better soon!!!! Heart

• amyhey
    Options

JRNJ, yes I also have blood in my nose. I am wondering if the numbness is neuropathy, which is a common side effect of the chemo. Sometimes I get numbing in my hands and feet that comes and goes. So ready for this to be over!

• Charliebug
    Options

Round 3 Day 10 Taxol

JRNJ- I hope your daughter's surgery goes smoothly. Surgery and braces is a lot for a 12 year old- hell, it's a lot no matter how old you are! I haven't heard of Zaraxio, no. Glad it worked enough to get you through chemo.

Amyhey- that is one of the biggest lessons I have learned (or tried to) throughout this ordeal is to pace myself. If I went too hard one day, I sure paid for it the next. Now I try to remember "Spoon Theory". If you're not familiar with it, please Google. People with chronic health issues often use this metaphor but it works great for our situations as well.

RadQueen- Staying hydrated is definitely the way to go with this treatment. I am so glad it's working so well for you! You are the "best case scenario" for this type of aggressive treatment for sure!

Dixie- please update when you can.

Not too much to report for myself. I think I am dealing with a low grade depression of sorts. I am not miserable or sad per se, just blah. I know I should be so excited about my last round of chemo on Monday and hopefully I will feel that excitement soon. Right now it just seems I am finding everything so hum drum. It's probably a case of being sick and tired of being sick and tired (even though I'm not sick really). A relationship with someone who I thought was a good friend has pretty much ended and that is another factor, I'm sure. Cancer/treatment sure has a way of showing you who your friends really are it seems.

Enough of my suckiness. On a lighter note, I took the garbage out this morning wearing my winter boots, unzipped, with capri-style pajama bottoms that showed my bare white legs, a toque, and a lumber jacket...just as the city bus came by. Take a good look people- this is as good as it gets at 7:30 a.m.!! LOL!!!!

• Eigna
    Options

Charliebug - I feel blah today too. We have a major snow storm over here. I’m just waiting to get a date to start radiation treatments but no one is calling yet. Oh and yeah I’m waiting for my hair to grow I know it’s too early yet 😂

On another note I made some oatmeal muffins and did my cardio this morning and some yoga. It feels good. 😊.

• amyhey
    Options

How is everyone doing? I was able to clean my entire house today, but I'm beat! I heard about a service called Cleaning for a Reason. They will clean your house free, 2 times, if you have breast cancer. You can go online and sign up. They ask for a doctor's note, but I forwarded a copy of my diagnosis and they accepted it. I'm just waiting to hear when they can come. Everyone go check it out. We deserve it! Also, I have some peach fuzz growing on my head which is exciting, but worries me that maybe the chemo isn’t working...does that make sense? I still have one more treatment. Anyone else having hair growth

• Charliebug
    Options

Final Round of Chemo

Today's the day folks. I am excited to get this over and done with and celebrate new beginnings along with my birthday today. The cupcakes were much prettier in my mind but it's been years since I've decorated anything lol! If you listen really carefully today, maybe you will hear me ringing that bell!!! Have a great day all

• amyhey
    Options

charliebug congratulations!!! Ring that bell loud!!

• Charliebug
    Options

Thanks Amyhey. It was actually quite nice. The nurses all lined up and sang me happy birthday. I got a little choked up lol. Today, on 4 hours sleep, I am heading to neighbouring city for my radiation consult. I will stop in and visit my Dad and stepmom there before the appt. I wish they could have picked a better day but the next appt wouldn't be until May so that won't work. I'm guessing they do these in groups. Oh well, I'll get through it and then hopefully no more appointments for the rest of March- whoo hoo!!!!

• jrnj
    jrnj Member Posts: 407
    Options

Charliebug, Congrats and Happy Birthday!!! I'm sick and tired of being sick and tired too. And the gross taste buds are really getting me down. But ice cream still taste good lol. I can't wait to taste again and see hair growth.

Amyhey, my chemo is different so I have a little hair left but only like 10 percent.I don't think hair growth means chemo isn't working. I read others say hair grows near end of TC. The hair on my legs is growing very slowly after I shave it.