Come join others currently navigating treatment in our weekly Zoom Meetup! Register here: Tuesdays, 1pm ET.
Fill Out Your Profile to share more about you. Learn more...

Starting Chemo December 2019

Options

Comments

• moderators
    moderators Posts: 7,966
    Options

Welcome Jlpeterson63, Kat333 and all the newbies in this thread! We're so sorry for the circumstances that bring you here, but we're so very glad you've found and joined this group.

Wishing you good luck with treatment! If you're having difficulty with anything around the boards, feel free to get in contact with us anytime.

The Mods

• moderators
    moderators Posts: 7,966
    Options

Welcome Jlpeterson63, Kat333 and all the newbies in this thread! We're so sorry for the circumstances that bring you here, but we're so very glad you've found and joined this group.

Wishing you good luck with treatment! If you're having difficulty with anything around the boards, feel free to get in contact with us anytime.

The Mods

• chelsea1
    chelsea1 Member Posts: 5
    Options

Maryjv, thanks for the tip. I intend to take Zofran the night of my next treatment so maybe I can prevent nausea instead of treating it. I felt 100% better today and I'm wondering if I ate the wrong foods Friday night. I'm going to stick with a very bland diet for the time being.

So sorry you're having such a bad time with the port site. Isn't it amazing how many ways this experience can bring you to your knees???

• chelsea1
    Options

Maryjv, thanks for the tip. I intend to take Zofran the night of my next treatment so maybe I can prevent nausea instead of treating it. I felt 100% better today and I'm wondering if I ate the wrong foods Friday night. I'm going to stick with a very bland diet for the time being.

So sorry you're having such a bad time with the port site. Isn't it amazing how many ways this experience can bring you to your knees???

• chelsea1
    Options

Bejeweled, thanks so much for sharing your experiences. I'm sorry you've had such a hard time with nausea and dehydration. I hope the extra steps you're taking now will result in a better experience for you this week. Please keep me posted.

I need to stay on top of the nausea situation. I'm going to take Zofran when I go to bed on Friday to see if that helps. Also want to do a little better with my diet.

Good luck to both of us!

• Ivana
    Ivana Member Posts: 16
    Options

Great advice by your daughter Halezma! We can all use that advice at different times, especially during this trying time. Thanks for letting us know about your chemo experience.

I get my port put in this coming Friday. Hope it’s not too bad...

• Insideout2
    Insideout2 Member Posts: 108
    Options

Hello Everyone,

I wanted to reach out to let you know you are not alone. I was diagnosed in Dec 2017 and started Chemo in January. You are stronger than you know and this thread offers support to those posting and those reading. I found it helpful to read posts of those one month ahead of me.

Blessings to you.

Insideout2

• kat333
    kat333 Member Posts: 38
    Options

Hi Hmbscit ... Has been a week since your first treatment and I've been hoping side effects are staying at bay. Sending good thoughts your way. I'm starting first of four AC early this am. ho ho ho

• maryjv
    maryjv Member Posts: 269
    Options

good luck Kat!! You got this!!! Port feels a little sore but better today...some redness so the doctor ordered an antibiotic just to be safe!!

Chelsea-so true on this whole new chapter of life we find ourselves in!! I was not concerned about the port at all!

• Eigna
    Eigna Member Posts: 256
    Options

Hello ladies. I have my first chemo tomorrow. I'm nervous 😟 and wondering if I will be ok. One day at a time. Wish megood luck!

• maryjv
    Options

you got this Eigna!! We are here with you on this journey🙏

• Bejeweled
    Bejeweled Member Posts: 22
    Options

Eigna,

Wishing you luck tomorrow - you are going to do great! I will be thinking of you - I hope the day passes quickly and you are back home as soon as possible!

• Ivana
    Options

Hi Eigna,

Sending good thoughts your way, hope the chemo goes smoothly and your side effects aren’t too many!

Be strong, we’re all cheering for you!

• Ivana
    Options

I also meant o add Eigna, your diagnosis at 43 sounds similar to my first round with this beast, in my left breast, 3.7cm tumor. I did chemo first back in 2007, then surgery. Chemo was not too bad once they figured out the right anti nausea meds. I hated losing all my hair though...even my eyebrows were almost gone. Good news is that hair grows back!

Take care, listen to your body’s signals.

• kat333
    kat333 Member Posts: 38
    Options

Thank you Mary! All went well today. And not going to give thoughts to anything short of that. My mom, always insisted that what we think, believe, is what will be. So keeping that in mind and staying positive. It's good they ordered you an antibiotic to be on the safe side. My port was just put in on Friday so was a bit nervous about beginning treatment just two days later. Though very bruised and sore, both port site and small cut neck area, was zero pain when they accessed it. Because grade 3 she's doing strongest dose of TC so ordered hydration and will be going in for that the next two days. Not sure if that will be a regular thing or just being cautious after first treatment.

Eigna Mary is Right... You Got This... my doctor keeps reminding me that it's just a bump in the road. And we're not alone on this journey.

• maryjv
    Options

yes only positive thoughts and strong faith🙏❤️ Went to see my ob yesterday for annual and she told me to keep my head up and research shows a positive mind set saves lives❤️ Today I am on my way for ultrasound of the lymph nodes and biopsy if needed...thinking only positive thoughts ❤️🙏 keeping you all in my thoughts and prayers now and always

• Eigna
    Options

Hello ladies! I did it! Infusion number one down. Three to go. So far so good 😊. No symptoms yet but I'm sure the next few days won't be easy. I'm back home relaxing and drinking my afternoon coffee ☕️!

• maryjv
    Options

great job Eigna!! Relax, destress and think no symptoms!!! ❤️

• maryjv
    Options

went for the lymph node ultrasound and two were biposied 🙏❤️ Go to oncologist on Friday to hopefully find out chemo start date and biopsy results..

• Eigna
    Options

Thanks Maryjv! Wishing good results on Friday and let us know when you start chemo.

• margo53
    margo53 Member Posts: 131
    Options

way to go Eigna! Now you know what to expect as far as the infusion goes. Did you get the On Pro?

So glad it went well.

Maryjv.....hoping and prayers your biopsy shows good results. Let us know when your chemo date is

• Eigna
    Options

Margo - I have Neulasta but not the on pro. Hubby will do the injection as I am a big chicken...lol ...!

• Bejeweled
    Bejeweled Member Posts: 22
    Options

Hi everyone,

I hope all is well for everyone. I go for AC #2 tomorrow. Today was the first day I noticed changes in my hair. Just running my hand through it resulted in a pretty good amount coming out. So I guess we will see what the next couple days bring. How is everyone’s hair

• Eigna
    Options

Good luck Bejeweled for your AC #2 tomorrow! You can do this! Sorry for the hair loss. I guess it’s part of the game. It’s only temporary.

• margo53
    margo53 Member Posts: 131
    Options

Bejeweled... I noticed my hair coming out Sunday( day 14), so yesterday hubby buzzed it all off.... it didn’t bother me much at the time cuz I’ve always had fine thin hair that requires tons of product to look half decent. So maybe it will come back totally different! Who knows!

My taste buds are almost back to normal. Yay!!

Hope everything goes well tomorrow for you! Let us know

• maryjv
    Options

Good luck bejeweled!!! You got this, two down!!! 🙏

• martaj
    martaj Member Posts: 307
    Options

Hi all,

To those of you that don't have a port, get or insist on one. Makes it much easier and less trauma to your veins. I finished up 12 TC infusions and have 1 more AC infusion than surgery. Less stress with a port, less poking around looking for a vein and you should have a port for chemo. Chance of infection less with port, than poking around looking for a vein.

• martaj
    martaj Member Posts: 307
    Options

Halezma,

Hang in there,

AC is tough. I have 1 more infusion and after having 20 TC infusions, AC has knocked me on my ass. No energy, weakness, just plain tired. Of course my blood counts didn't help much. But light at end of tunnel. Only 1 more day after Christmas and will be done with chemo. Surgery to follow 4 weeks later. I had neoadjunctive treatment to shrink tumor which it has. Lymph node enlargement gone also. So I hope this helped. It has been quite a journey, but light is now shining brightly at end of tunnel. Great advice not to play catch up on nausea. Start meds ASAP. Once nausea sets in it is partically impossible to rid of. Taste goes also. I didn't have mouth sores but did have sore throats after. Salt water gargles helped. I've never had a problem with constipation until AC treatment. Very uncomfortable, now started senokot right after infusion and it has been kept at bay. Rest when you can.

• halezma
    halezma Member Posts: 13
    Options

I'm 16 days from my 1st A/C treatment and my hair is starting to shed. I'm trying to keep my hands out of my hair. I put a cute medical grade wig on hold at a local shop and the owner told me to call her when I need her and she will stay late to shave my hair and style the wig for me. I honestly don't know how far I'll let this go before calling her. I know it's all temporary but I'm sad to see the excess shedding.

• Marmotka
    Marmotka Member Posts: 19
    Options

Hi everyone,

Tomorrow is the big day for me, first AC! I'll be thinking about all of you brave women.

I do have a question: Is there a point in icing hands and feet on AC or is it just for taxol?

Martaj; I just got a PICC line installed in my right arm (did not have a choice as vascularity is better) and boy is it ever uncomfortable! I do appreciate that it will help protect my veins but right now I wonder if I'll get used to it. I'll keep it for 4 months minimum...:-( has anyone experience that?

Eigna: glad to hear you are doing ok.

Nice day to all!