Come join others currently navigating treatment in our weekly Zoom Meetup! Register here: Tuesdays, 1pm ET.
Fill Out Your Profile to share more about you. Learn more...

Starting Chemo December 2019

Options

Comments

• margo53
    margo53 Member Posts: 131
    Options

maddy.... we all wish you the best as you prepare.....waiting and the unknown is the worst part! We are here for you.

• Maddy83f
    Maddy83f Member Posts: 78
    Options

Thank you Margo - feel blessed to have a community to share with. I have wonderful family and friends but don't want every conversation to be about my BC. BC was found during a routine mammogram - all of a sudden MRI seemed to fill up with doctors and my calendar filled up with doctor appointments. I still have some drains in from surgery earlier this month.... they weren't expecting any nodes to be positive so its been quite the roller coaster. I had the chemo class yesterday - my family and I came away with confidence that I will be well taken care of.

• maryjv
    maryjv Member Posts: 269
    Options

we are here with you Maddy...this is our battle, together, and we will get thought this, never alone...we are gonna kick this cancers butt!!! ❤️ Happy holidays to all of my new family, this year is almost over and may 2020 be our year of health and well being!!!!
  • gearup52
    gearup52 Member Posts: 12
    Options

Hello Marmotka,

My nutritionist recommended again most of what the suppliments you are taking. She only reccommends calcium, vitD, B6(help prevent neuropathy) and L-glutamine(neuropathy prevention). I also found this article (not sure how credible) but it seem to support her views.

• gearup52
    gearup52 Member Posts: 12
    Options

MERRY CHRISTMAS EVERYONE!!!!!!!!!!!!

• maryjv
    Options
    Happy Holidays!! Gearup..please share the article regarding supplements...I found this article on yahoo regarding supplements and reoccurrence...I am only gonna take calcium and vitamin d and will look at the neuropathy prevention vitamins.,.but this article definitely says avoid omega 3, iron, vitamins a, c, e, B12 and antioxidants because they appear to protect the cancer cells during chemo (good for prevention but not during treatment), hope this research helps!

https://www.yahoo.com/news/taking-certain-vitamins-during-breast-212802391.html
  • margo53
    Options

Hmbscit.... did you get your port placed? and any chemo start dates? I got my port almost a week ago and it is still sore and bruised, but it was used for treatment on Monday... so that’s a plus. No painful sticks or ruined veins!

Hope you able to have a Merry Christmas today

• jrnj
    jrnj Member Posts: 407
    Options

Thanks Maryjv. B12 coq10 and omegas are new news to me. The only supplement I was taking was a b complex because I thought the bs were ok and good for hair. But I need to separate the bs. I used to take a lot of stuff for cholesterol but have stopped a lot since dx except for statin. They also have me freaked out now on what to eat. I'm like can I eat that if it's high in vitamin c? Should I eat those oranges?

• maryjv
    Options
    JRNJ-I was just thinking the same...I’m about to start chemo on 12/30, have cut out omega3, turmeric, mvi and am only taking calcium and vitamin d...but now I wonder should I also be cutting down on antioxidants (green tea, berries) and my vitamin a and c intake??? This is very confusing!!! Trying to eat healthy but so many things to consider...
  • jrnj
    Options

I know. I read that eating healthy with those vitamins is ok but the supplements are a problem. I don’t eat that great anyway. I’m just eating what I feel like eating at this point. Including too much sugar. I’m worried you included iron though. I’m eating a lot of meat. I have third chemo 12/30. Hope you make out ok.

• kat333
    kat333 Member Posts: 38
    Options

My oncologist was adamant about listing everything taken, including supplements, which I did. She said zinc and a multivitamin were fine. Maybe a Post, for this single issue, would be good. It would seem many, here, may have information to share.

• maryjv
    Options
    Great idea Kat! At this point, just gonna focus on getting through treatments one day at a time 🙏❤️ Right now I’m purchasing all the rec medications and snack foods to try and have on hand for treatments...port finally feeling better just in time to start treatment
  • kat333
    kat333 Member Posts: 38
    Options

I'll be thinking of you and sending positive thoughts that your experience will be far less stressful than we imagine beforehand. Am 10 days out from second treatment. Side effects from the first were minimal. The worst was being wide awake night before, day of, and day after due to the steroids. She is having them left out of the next infusion and (day after) hydration as I didn't experience any nausea. But will still take the four tabs day before and after.

Try to drink as much water as possible. My "normal" is to drink 100 oz daily and have made sure to maintain that. I think it may be a factor in helping to avoid/alleviate side effects. You've Got This and we're here cheering you on.

• maryjv
    Options
    Thanks for the great tips!! Hydration seems key, and yikes had not even considered insomnia 🤦🏽‍♀️, will stay positive and hope for the best!
  • Eigna
    Eigna Member Posts: 256
    Options

Hello ladies,

Just to give you an update. I had posted my story on the November chemo thread but not on the December chemo thread.

A few days after my first round of chemo TC I had muscle pain and chills which led to low grade fever. I was also congested. I ended up at the ER. They took me right away since I told them I was doing chemo. I had an infection because my neutrophils were dangerously low and my cold did not help. So I ended up staying in a couple of days and happy they discharged me on Christmas Eve ... my poor kids were anxious to see me back home. I had a neupogen injection before leaving the hospital and today went back in to check my CBC and ANC and my results are normal. Yeah ! I feel better but I hope I can get rid of this cold before my next round!

• maryjv
    Options
    Oh Eigna! I’m so sorry to hear you were in the hospital...I’m glad you got to be home for Christmas and hopeful you can kick this cold before your next infusion! ❤️Sending all my love and prayers for a speedy recovery and better infusion round 2!
  • jrnj
    Options

eigna. So sorry you were in the hospital on Xmas eve. Hope you weren't too sick On Xmas. I'm so glad I didn't have treatment 'this week. Going Monday will be sick for New Years. Never have plans anyway lol. I almost missed Halloween due to surgical infection so glad I was released day before

Kat I had bad insomnia too. They refused to eliminate steroid. But they eliminated Aloxi and that helped. I also take lunesta, have been for years, which really helps me sleep.

• bkerber
    bkerber Member Posts: 37
    Options

I have a question. What determines whether you receive ACT or just CT? I've tried to determine this by looking at your diagnosis but I cant. I will be starting CT in January due to a high mammaprint score. Everything you post helps those of us who are yet to start. I really have learned so much from all of you.
    Thank you!

• margo53
    Options

hi bkerber... that’s a great question. I don’t know the answer but I also had a high mammaprint and getting TC. I have had 2 treatments and have two more to go. I would ask my oncologist your question. I think it’s probably a matter of protocol. I can answer other questions about side effects so feel free to ask anything

• mac5
    mac5 Member Posts: 85
    Options

Bejeweled...

Just wanted to say my MO has suggested a medication called Tigan for nausea if the Compazine doesn’t work. It’s used for nausea from Surgery and now they are using it for the flu.

Just something you might want to talk to your Oncologist about.

• Bejeweled
    Bejeweled Member Posts: 22
    Options

Mac5 - thank you so much. I am really struggling, so I appreciate the additional info. I will ask when I go back this week. My next infusion is 1/2. Today, which is day 10 post last infusion was the first day I didn't take any nausea medication.

Eigna - I am so sorry you had to be in the hospital, but so very glad you got the care you needed and are feeling better.

Everyone - I haven't been posting too much, just out of being sick, but please know that I am reading your stories, and cheering you all on!

• maryjv
    Options
    question for everyone-I have compazine and zofran for n/v...do I take them tomorrow before chemo? Or do I wait since I’m getting iv meds with chemo?
  • jrnj
    Options

I'm not your dr so of course you should ask them but if they didn't tell you to take them I would wait. I had more issues first treatment from overmedication than chemo. I'm taking zofran and pepsid pretty regular and Compazine only if I feel nausea coming on after iv meds wear off. But they may suggest taking it to get ahead of nausea and I felt a little sicker on second treatment so I may take it sooner too.

• maryjv
    Options

ok thank you very much

• havefaithtoday
    havefaithtoday Member Posts: 88
    Options

Hello, this is my very first post on this website, so bare with me. But I'm struggling and could really use the support and encouragement of a community like this.

I started my first round of TC chemo a week ago. I was SO incredibly scared. Mainly because I suffer from a lot of gastrointestinal porblems (IBS, leaky gut, SIBO and a previous round of C-Diff Colitis). When I met with my Oncologist she said she wasn't worried about anything else with me except my stomach. So we knew going in to Chemo, this was going to be a challenge.

- Are there any others out there that also have a lot of gastro issues prior to Chemo?

I'm happy to report that most of the other side effects have been manageable (bone pain, fatigue, taste changes, etc), BUT by day 3 my stomach was in so much pain. The only way I can describe it is like someone punched you repeatedly really hard in the pit of your stomach and it just won't let up.

I finally called the on call Oncologist yesterday and he told me to go to Urgent Care. There was nothing they could find indicating a major problem, but they checked my blood levels. The Urgent care Dr put the fear of everything in me when he looked at how low my levels were, he said my Netrophils were so low he wanted to admit me to the hospital. But since I didn't have a fever, they would let me go home. I called the on call Oncologist back when I got home and he said it is normal for them to be low...but mine did seem a little lower than normal (I even had done the Neulasta). I have a follow up apt today to see the Oncologist. Gosh....this has been so anxiety producing. Has anyone else been through something similar?

• havefaithtoday
    Options

Hi Eigna,

Sorry to hear you had to be in the hospital but glad you were home by Christmas Eve. Had they given you the Neulasta originally? I had that but then my blood work yesterday showed my Netrophils extremely low to. How quickly did the injection raise tjem?

• margo53
    Options

hi havefaithtoday..... so sorry you are having so many TC issues....I had two of four a week ago and have had more GI issues than the first cycle. I have no history of GI issues, I just think I have been eating the wrong things, thus causing some diarrhea. My taste buds are so messed up, I just eat whatever to try to find anything that tastes half decent and feels good in my mouth. Lol.

Maybe your stomach pain was pelvic pain.... I had a lot of menstrual type cramping and I think it was pelvic bone pain from Neulasta. I seem to be more fatigued this cycle, I guess that’s from the cumulative effect....

I’ll be so glad when I’m all done! Glad you found us and posted😄

• havefaithtoday
    Options

Thanks Margo. I previously suffered a lot of female pain with endometriosis (I've had 5 female surgeries and ultimately a hysterectomy. So this pain isn't anything like that. This is all in the heart of my stomach, definitely related to gastrointestinal problems. I wish it would go away. It's so uncomfortable and really effecting my spirits right now.

Also, these low Netrophils levels are getting me concerned as well.
  • margo53
    Options
    • havefaithtoday....stomach pain is the Pitts.... mine constantly feels like I need to run to the bathroom .....

Your neutrophils will get back to normal, just frequently hand wash and stay way from sick people. If I know I'm going to be in a crowd, I wear a mask

• HP_Fan
    HP_Fan Member Posts: 4
    Options

Hello all and Happy New Year!

First, HavingFaith, I'm in San Diego County too :) I hope your symptoms improve and your Oncologist is able to help. I'm new to this forum, but it seems like it's an amazing community and I just know they are thinking of you! On the bright side, we don't have to worry about going out into the cold and snow for treatment. I'm whining about the 56 degree temp as it is.

My first AC treatment is today. I'm not really nervous, and hopeful that my side effects will be minimal. So far, my recovery from surgery has been smooth so I'm keeping my fingers crossed for that trend to continue with treatment. Now, I seem to have random questions.

Does anyone have any tips or favorite things they like to bring to treatment?
    Should I bring my own comfy blanket, or rely on the heated ones they have?
    Is bringing my laptop to watch movies a waste of time? My attention span while in the hospital after surgery was SHORT, so don't know about being in an infusion lab for 3+ hours.
    I'm actually having fun looking at different options for head coverings. Any recommended brands or brands to absolutely avoid?

Sending good thoughts to you all today!