Come join others currently navigating treatment in our weekly Zoom Meetup! Register here: Tuesdays, 1pm ET.
Fill Out Your Profile to share more about you. Learn more...

Cannabis Basics

Options

Comments

• exbrnxgrl
    exbrnxgrl Member Posts: 4,775
    edited December 2019
    Options

I live off of Santa Clara St., east of city hall. We’re practically neighbors!

• coraleliz
    coraleliz Member Posts: 158
    edited December 2019
    Options

Spark1975

You mentioned surrendering constitutional rights when you get a medical card. Other than the 2nd amendment, has this been an issue? My reason for asking is that I live in California. I purchased my son a medical card when he turned 18. He can't legally use recreational until he turns 21. He was busted twice in HS for weed. His 2nd offense cost me $3500 in attorney fees. It seemed like a good idea at the time to get him a card. (Save money if he got caught again). My husband also has a card & medical is cheaper in California.

• Scott1975
    Scott1975 Member Posts: 19
    edited December 2019
    Options

I don't know for sure if California has implemented any statutes for keeping 4th and 11h amendments in place. (Probable not.) But in Nevada. A medical card allows law enforcement to use the medical status as a means to inquiry deeper into illicit activity without judicial approval. Kind of like buying cigarettes or alcohol for minors. They can use the admission like a warrant. Due process is out the door since a med card holder is admitted to the purchase and consumption of a controlled substance. It is a slippery slope that comes with the medical card. Here we don't have statutes that hold constitutional right intact. Specifically the 2nd. Our legislators are being lobbied hard for these rights to stay In place. Fortunately a blind eye is turned to the cannabis crowd. But remember the chicken hawk pretends to not be looking!

There are a lot of instances of LE encroachment due because of those few jack wagons that abuse the medical card. As Rec becomes more of a norm and states keep legalizing it the federal government gets pressed to change its ways. Just like prohibition in the 20's.

Statutes should be available in CA state website.

Hope that helps.

• Scott1975
    edited December 2019
    Options

I really should have noticed the auto correct. 11th and the 4th. Not the fourteenth that is for citizenship.

• fifthyear
    fifthyear Member Posts: 29
    edited January 2020
    Options

Yes we are closed, thanks for this post, we need this type of data.

• moderators
    moderators Posts: 7,966
    edited January 2020
    Options

Would you mind sharing your thoughts on Medical Cannabis? We are looking for people to take our Survey. Only for those living in the US, and who have been diagnosed less than 5 years ago. Will take 10-15 minutes to complete. Thank you, thank you!!

• LoveFromPhilly
    LoveFromPhilly Member Posts: 1,019
    edited January 2020
    Options

I love medical cannabis and have been using it pretty regularly since my diagnosis (and it becoming medically legal in the state of Pennsylvania yay!).

The medical strains are stronger as mentioned previously. I tend to use indica at night for sleep. That’s my biggest issue. Sometimes for pain, sometimes for nausea. It works pretty well for all three for me.

I do not enjoy the anxiety/paranoia aspect of it. I am a more anxious person in general and so I can get realllly paranoid. On NYE I was walking home from a party with a friend and we shared a joint I had rolled of a medical strain called Chronald (very very high thc indica strain) and I could barely hold a conversation. I felt nauseated and anxious and came home and had a big bowel purge (I had also eaten quite a bit...sorry if too much TMI). But it does do a number on my vagas nerve throwing me between fight or flight and rest and digest modes.

I also one time got talked into trying the RSO and it was a high thc amount. I ended up needing a Valium because I was so anxious. The combo was lovely but I don’t want to get into that habit.

My biggest advice is take it slow. Take low doses. Don’t overdue.

It is strong MEDICINE and some of us are more prone to the side effects than others. I am one of them.

• thisiknow
    thisiknow Member Posts: 88
    edited January 2020
    Options

Scott1975 ... after I got my Med card I was disappointed to find I couldn't buy the new Glock 42 (.380...14oz...6+1) I wanted for portability. In Colorado....

.....Recreational Cannabis = you MAY buy a/another gun

.....Medical Cannabis = you MAY NOT buy a/another gun

In other words, if you're using Cannabis for health reasons you can't buy a gun but if you're using Cannabis just to get high...you can buy all the guns you want.

Makes sense, right?

Wrong.

So I was going to let my license expire, buy the gun, and all would be well. Until I was told they'd still know I had had a Med card. Anyway I believed whoever told me that and gave up. I have enough guns I guess.

I do scratch my head over why they just cannot get all this Cannabis legalization worked out in short order.

At least the Cannabis is cheap here. And getting cheaper every day. One Budtender told me that if you want to buy an ounce of bud, if they don't have the strain on the Med side, you can buy it for 40% cheaper on the Rec side. That's nice to know.

LoveFromPhilly ... Medical Marijuana is NO different from Recreational Marijuana. One dispensary just shares crops between their Med and Rec side. Nothing is added to Marijuana to make it "Medical." It's all Cannabis.

• exbrnxgrl
    edited January 2020
    Options

Well, in CA cannabis keeps getting more expensive because the taxes are very high. So much so that many people choose to buy illegally. Never having touched a gun, that’s not an issue for me.

Remember if you take too much THC, CBD will bring you down

• Scott1975
    edited January 2020
    Options

thisiknow

I am with you. It makes as much sense as breathing under water.

When Rec passed in NV. The same year UBGC’s passed. The reasoning behind these regs are circular and don’t solve anything. Our laws state that medical cards automatically suspend our right to purchase a firearm. It also voids the ccw until two years after the medical card is surrendered or expires. But we can petition the court to reinstate our ccw and ability to purchase for a small tax, I mean fee. We can still carry under the laws we have and they treat it the same as alcohol. But the federal government might see things differently.

USCCA has great information about cannabis and firearms.

I don’t use it, so I don’t really worry about anything pot related. But I know several people that have been trapped in the net of nonsense.

• thisiknow
    thisiknow Member Posts: 88
    edited January 2020
    Options

"Cannabis and Cannabinoids (PDQ®) Patient Version)"

You can see the "Professional Version" of this article by clicking the blue link under the Title after you get there.... https://www.cancer.gov/about-cancer/treatment/cam/hp/cannabis-pdq#section/all?redirect=true

Some very good/elementary facts about Marijuana.
    Click on underlined words to see the definitions.

• breaktheice
    breaktheice Member Posts: 1
    edited January 2020
    Options

Thanks for sharing.

I think it's important to add that Marijuana is not meant to be a magical cure all for cancer. How badly do I wish it could, but cancer is not that simple.

What's really going on is seeing how we can use Marijuana as complementary medicine, rather than a cure. It's benefits are used in conjunction with other therapies such as chemo and radiation. Along with battling the demoralizing effects such as nausea, no sleep, lack of appetite, etc. It's a way of stacking the deck.

I think those just goes to show how beneficial Marijuana can be to the medical industry, but also how much research is needed to understand complicated diseases such as cancer. Hopefully with more legalization it can lead to more research.

• exbrnxgrl
    edited February 2020
    Options

breaktheice,

I agree that cannabis has been useful for control of unpleasant symptoms and side effects, However, until it is legalized federally and is not longer classified as a schedule I drug (meaning of little to no medical value) Then research will remain scarce

• Yogatyme
    Yogatyme Member Posts: 1,793
    edited February 2020
    Options

SIL sent this to me yesterday....a good laughimage

• jessie123
    jessie123 Member Posts: 134
    edited February 2020
    Options

It sure would calm my nerves -- I smoked it years ago in the early 70's when I was in college. Then we moved to a conservative town and the college crowd was no longer around so I've never had it since then. I would never buy it off the streets today as I've heard it's not the same pure stuff we had 50 yrs ago. I'll be dead before Alabama ever legalizes it.

• exbrnxgrl
    edited February 2020
    Options

Sorry about that jessie. I can’t see AL going legal anytime soon either. I will say that I have really enjoyed having legal access in my state. I know nothing about illegal sales as CA has had legal access, medical, for years. Interestingly, the legal stuff is often far more potent than what was available on the streets in the 60’s and 70’s. Some estimates state that street weed of an earlier time was under 20% THC . In legal dispensaries, the THC and CBD percentages are always clearly labeled. Many products contain well over 20% THC and people are often surprised by the potency. I still wish there was more exact dosing info, but even when I experiment with a new product, I have enough experience behind me to know how much to use, though I’ve had a few unpleasant experiences (not too awful, I just needed to lay down)

• purple32
    purple32 Member Posts: 1,767
    edited February 2020
    Options

Here in MA Both med and rec are legal.

I have pain issues (NOT BC related) and have tried edibles . REALLY help with sleep more than anything else.

As an aside, I would not vape if you paid me. Maybe I don't know enough,but NO VAPING for *me* thanks!

I personally won't smoker either but that is due to lung damage from being a former smoker.

At this point, I am due for a surgery so I won't even be taking edibles/ just not enough info on BP and heart rate for my liking and my ' normal' LOW LOW BP is high ( stress and episodic but the heart does not care what's causing it!

Use caution in all things.

Best wishes !

• motu53
    motu53 Member Posts: 3
    edited February 2020
    Options

Great Post Scott 1975...Very Interesting & Informative too. Thanks a lot..Keep them coming !!

• edj3
    edj3 Member Posts: 1,579
    edited February 2020
    Options

This entire thread has been very helpful to me. I'm dealing with some pain that I'm pretty confident is from radiation (fibrosis in the left pec, a weird rib pain on the same side and my sternum is just off), I'm also training for my first marathon. So I pulled the trigger on CBD cream to help with that. Has to be THC free b/c I live in Kansas.

• anotherone
    anotherone Member Posts: 545
    edited February 2020
    Options

btw when they say "CBD is free from thc" it is not necessarily so. I have got stoned quite a few times on CBD which I bought from the internet claiming it had no THC ( I live in Britain where THC is illegal).

I know the feeling as I have used cannabis recreationally a few times in my life. I was astounded to notice unmistakable effects of THC as I did not expect it at all .

Not that I am complaining- getting legal high is great - I just have to remember just in case not take it too late or not to feel tempted to take it if I need to drive /work/have important events after. Great for sex !

• edj3
    edited February 2020
    Options

Well I've done what I can to order non-THC product. The website spelled out the difference between isolate and full spectrum. Aside from any illegality in my state, I'd still prefer not to feel stoned. When I tried pot in the past, I generally barfed.

• edj3
    edited March 2020
    Options

Another question for you all. A friend gave me her CBD gummies for insomnia (they did nothing for her). They seem to be working for me, or at least helping a bit. Do any of you use these, and where do you order them?

• exbrnxgrl
    edited March 2020
    Options

edj3,

I like a little THC with my CBD, so I usually buy 1:1 or 2:1 formulas. I live in a legal state so I buy mine at one of my local dispensaries. They sell pure CBD products as well, but the high quality, quality controlled and well labeled, is pricey. I realize that this is not much help if you're not in a legal state

ETA: Cannabis Sativa derived CBD is highly regulated and that is what is sold in legal dispensaries. CBD products sold online or in other general outlets are hemp derived. Different plants, same family

• moth
    moth Member Posts: 3,293
    edited November 2020
    Options

thank you for this thread.

Im.having a no good, very bad day and even though I live in Vancouver, I can't even begin to figure out where to buy and what to ask for. I've at least got some ideas now.

I have a growing lung met so smoking or vaping are not gonna happen. I'm looking at oils. Saw something which is 30:1 (Sun Oil) so maybe something like that to start? 1mg thc/drop for this cannabis naive girl might be good place to start

Anyway, thanks for the bud 101

• exbrnxgrl
    edited November 2020
    Options

Hi moth,

One thing that really helped me was to find a dispensary that has bud tenders who are experienced with medical patients. California was originally medical only so the bud tenders only worked with medical clients. I found their knowledge very helpful. Call around to dispensaries in your area and/or check out online reviews. Tinctures and sub-lingual drops are a good way to consume and don’t have the sugar and calories of some of the delicious edibles

• gailmary
    gailmary Member Posts: 428
    edited May 2021
    Options

Hi exbrngrl,

Kinda a newbie here with pot and anxious to use once it's legal here. Please clarify for me, you say you like a little thc in the mix like 1:1. That's like half the contents. That's not so little to me. 20 parts cbd to one part thc would be weaker. But still isn't it alot to do with how much you consume, thus start low, go slow.?

Have you tried thca for less if a high?

I have high school experience 40 yrs ago and wonder how I will tolerate it. Tried CBD from hemp and found it helps a bit for pain. A sleep aid would be nice too. Didn't help there.

• exbrnxgrl
    edited May 2021
    Options

Hi gailmary,

Yes, 1:1 is a ratio only for the experienced and if you don't mind feeling high but I have a very high tolerance to THC and I don't mind the high feeling. For those new to cannabis, look for 24:1 formulas or something in that range in general, but remember we have different tolerances. If your CBD to THC ratio is greater than 5:1 you won't feel high. Yes, how much you consume makes a difference but edibles, tinctures, capsules etc. specify dosing which allows you to control your consumption. For example, I take a high THC tincture with added magnesium and melatonin (It's called Lights Out 😂). Each dropper full contains 33 mg of THC. Even though that's the recommended dose it would be too intense for those new to cannabis. So it's not about the quantity but rather how much THC and CBD a dose/serving contains. So consider not only total cannabinoids in the product but how much THC/CBD per dose. Also, if it's been 40 years since you tried cannabis, you will have no residual tolerance. As a matter of fact if I find that my response to cannabis is not what I want, I stop using it for 5-7 days so the cannabinoid receptors in my brain do a bit of a reset. This is a common practice for those who use regularly.

Since I don't mind the high, I've not focused on THCa but have had it in some of the products I've bought. I also want to be clear that I don't work, drive or do anything that requires one to be sober when I use. Unfortunately, when it became legal more than a few people forgot that driving or doing other important things when high is just as bad as doing those things when drunk!

• GoKale4320
    GoKale4320 Member Posts: 580
    edited June 2021
    Options

Hi

I am intrigued by the potential benefits of CBD oil. Does anyone have an opinion on whether this product in the link, a full-spectrum CBD, is similar to what I should look for in a product?

https://cltcbd.com/products/hemplucid-usda-organic...

It's expensive so I'm thinking it might be a legit full-spectrum CBD. The only thing is that I can see exactly what's in it. I am just at a loss at trying to find a good product to try.

Thanks!

• exbrnxgrl
    edited June 2021
    Options

Go Kale,

You are looking at a hemp derived CBD product. CBD can be extracted from both hemp and cannabis plants. Hemp is a kissing cousin of cannabis but contains a trace amount of THC. I believe the THC content is less than .03 %. CBD derived from cannabis can also contain trace amounts of THC or it can be produced to contain almost any amount of CBD:THC.I have only used cannabis derived products because I have always purchased from a legal dispensary but I am told that whether hemp derived or cannabis derived, the effects are the same. Yes, it is expensive, the cannabis derived products are usually more expensive than the hemp derived (but this may be due to the fact that in my state hemp derived products can be sold almost anywhere whereas cannabis derived products can only be sold in legal dispensaries). I should mention that I also only buy from a dispensary because I feel CBD works best for me with some THC . So while I can’t speak to the specific product you’re looking at, I would consider going to a dispensary, if you’re in a legal state, to start your CBD exploration with a quality product. Hope this helps!

• GoKale4320
    GoKale4320 Member Posts: 580
    edited June 2021
    Options

I have read online that full-spectrum CBD that includes THC has some cancer-killing properties. I am not sure if I should believe this, and I am not asking anyone to confirm this, but if there's a tiny chance that this could be true, then I want to try it. Currently, pain is controlled with Alleve and Tramodol, but one day I may need CBD oil for pain. Unfortunately, I don't live in a legal state, and I have pondered traveling to one. We are flying this summer to a couple places, but I fear getting caught by TSA with my THC (lol). So I am limited to buying online. The price doesn't bother me if it's the best product available to me. Should I look for something with a little more THC? Or should the first bottle I buy be low THC and then graduate to a higher level of THC?

Thank you!