Fill Out Your Profile to share more about you. Learn more...

2020 Running Thread

Options
iwaveatcows
iwaveatcows Member Posts: 38

Hello Pink Runners -- everyone is a runner no matter how far or how fast -- let's talk about our running and our running as it relates to being newly diagnosed, going through surgery, going through treatment, and beyond.

If you would like to share your race schedule please do so -- you don't have to enter any races to be here -- this is a friendly non-judgmental spot to discuss what we love and how to navigate our new journey.

Comments

• iwaveatcows
    Options

My current struggle is starting Tamoxifen 12/9 and a high heart rate -- resting and during a workout -- this is very troublesome inasmuch as I am training for two marathons. Also it makes me feel sluggish but me being me I push on.

If all goes to plan I get my new boob on 1/14 and perk up the other . . . he said it would only be about 2 weeks of not running so it will be the bike trainer and power walking . . .

then back to Boston to Big Sur training!

• edj3
    edj3 Member Posts: 1,579
    Options

Thanks for starting this 2020 running thread!

I've signed up for the Grandma's Marathon on June 20; the training plan I'm using calls for a half on April 18 which just happens to be when the Garmin half will be run this year. So I will be doing that one too!

• moderators
    moderators Posts: 7,911
    Options

Thanks for starting this! We look forward to following!!

• iwaveatcows
    Options

I am always so bad about doing a half before my full -- don't know if it is nerves or the fact that I don't like to pay to run -- or I guess I really like the training better than the racing.

• 2019whatayear
    2019whatayear Member Posts: 464
    Options

Thanks for the thread! I'm running the chicago marathon (will be my 3x) 10/11/2020 as a charity runner for Imerman's Angels. I am thinking I am going to do the Rock and Roll 1/2 this summer and probs the Soldier Field 10 miler on Memorial Day- but I'm not sure. :-)

For now running in the relatively 'mild' January weather.

:-)

• panthrah
    panthrah Member Posts: 140
    Options

yep you did it correctly :) woot woot !! I already have an extensive race calendar planned :p ( had to get in on those black fri/ christmas/ new years sales )

Jan 9-12 Dopey Challenge ( 5k, 10k, 1/2, full=48.6 miles)

Feb 2 Surf City half

March 15th San Diego Half

March 29th Awesome 80s 5k

April 18-19 Star Wars Rival Run ( 10k and half)

May 31 Rock N Roll San Diego half

June 7 Rock N Roll Seattle Half

Oct 11 Chicago Marathon ( EEEEEEEE!)

Nov 7-8 Wine n Dine ( 10k and half)

I think Ill end up signing up for the beach cities challenge ( long beach, orange county) and possible LA Marathon.. but I wanted to get through Dopey first

• iwaveatcows
    Options

Anyone running in Houston next weekend at the half or full marathon?

• edj3
    Options

Not me, although I did look to see if there were any 5K races here in Manila. But there aren't.

• edj3
    Options

OK runners, how did you go about finding a running coach (if you use one)? I'm interested and curious and mostly want to set myself up for success in Grandma's marathon this summer.

I have no problem sticking to a training plan but let's face it, between BC and my broken pelvis, I've had a heck of a couple of years.

• WC3
    WC3 Member Posts: 658
    Options

I'm part of that small percentage of people who just have no running genes and really don't make much progress no matter how I train due to a number of restraints, but I have a front row seat to one of the big marathons every year and I just think the whole concept of it is so exciting, so I just want to cheer you all on. I think you are all amazing!

• panthrah
    Options

I completed the Dopey Challenge ( a 5k, 10k, half, full = 48.6 miles) the weather was NOT in our favor for the full.. 70 degrees and 92% humidity. that was a rough day :p but we made it! WOOT WOOT

annnnnnnnd I got accepted into the Chicago Marathon! * faints *

• iwaveatcows
    Options

Love Love Love the pics!

• edj3
    Options

That's AWESOME!

Also are you wearing a running skirt/skort thingy? If so where do you get yours? I'm interested in them but haven't ever found one where the legs stay put.

• panthrah
    Options

I have like 10 of them now :) they dont move. they pretty much have cargo sized pockets. even with all the fun patterns I already had, i ended up getting just a black one so i could wear it with any top. i also do roller derby and skate in them. I see a lot of people fly with them as well :)

Running skirts

• candilea
    candilea Member Posts: 13
    Options

Hi there!

I'm so glad I found this thread, thank you for starting it! I'm planning to register for the Chicago Rock n' Roll, tomorrow (waiting for payday!). It's been about ten months since I've done any real running, so I feel like I'm starting at square one. This will be my 6th half, have wanted to do this one for a long time, so I'm excited. It's good to have something to look forward to, and be motivated about. It's been a while.

iwaveatcows...my wonderful MIL has a home in Kingwood, and she loves it there! She's in IL during half the year, TX the other half. I often think about visiting her and running a race there at the same time!

Candice

• edj3
    Options

panthrah which style do you get? And how's the sizing?

• iwaveatcows
    Options

I was an ambassador for InkNBurn -- highly recommend their skirts. I'm now an alumni ambassador.

They are the ONLY running skirts I wear -- the pockets hold EVERYTHING for 26.2

Zero chafing

Love their sports bras too

On another note I ran 4 miles outside today :-)

• edj3
    Options

A running blog I follow also highly recommends them. I'm not seeing anything very plain though, and I'm def not a flowery kind of woman (or stars on my butt or what have you).

• panthrah
    Options

I get ex small.. but a small wld prob work.. I do find their sizes fine. I get swing style and i have one flutter ( flat in front, slight ruffle in the back) . I just bought 2 skirts off their clearance sale. I got a solid tealish color and black with "cracking" ( reflective) the first one I bought was in 2013... its been abused.. and looks just as good as the day I bought it.

Ink N Burn is "local" to me. I havent tried their skirts but i find most of the patterns very busy.. but i do check their site fairly often and am waiting to see if anything catches my attention

added another pic to show the " flutter cut" skirt .. less flowy material

• panthrah
    Options

i am NOT a flower person.. however.. when you are going to do a half marathon in Hawaii.. the flowered skirt was "needed " :p

• edj3
    Options

Well YES! When in Hawaii, be Hawaiian!

• dogmomrunner
    dogmomrunner Member Posts: 492
    Options

Nice pics panthrah!

I have to wear long running shorts because my thighs rub no matter how thin my legs are. I wish I could wear the skirts or shorter shorts, they're easier to find.

• panthrah
    Options

i have def wore leggings under the skirts . and they also make the skirt/capri combos . here are their size

• clsmit
    clsmit Member Posts: 1
    Options

Hello everyone! I am stage iv and currently recovering from hip replacement surgery (stupid cancer ate my femur!) but I'm a runner. I love sparkleskirts (boulder athletic) because of their pockets and that they don't ride up. InkNBurn shorts are too short for me for longer runs but good for working out. I'm currently "running" by sitting in a race chair for the Disney races I'd already signed up for, so if you're at Princess or Star Wars look for the decorated chair and that's probably me! I hope to walk a 5K this spring or summer.

• iwaveatcows
    Options

clsmit you are an inspiration!!!

• edj3
    Options

I agree, clsmi, you most definitely are an inspiration.

• dogmomrunner
    dogmomrunner Member Posts: 492
    Options

cismi- have fun at the Disney races! I have friends that run those and I'll tell them to keep an eye out for you. I ran the marathon years ago. First and only.

And I'm struggling to get back into it but now I think I have no excuse. You are an inspiration! Happy

• lorreymom
    lorreymom Member Posts: 9
    Options

I run everyday. I started running after treatments in 2014. It helped with my bone pains from my aromatase inhibitor (on exemestane), so I started running every day. I’m a member of the Streak Runners International. I was running a minimum of 2 km daily. But after my marathon (Twin Cities 2019), the bone pains started to come back. I increased to 3 miles per day minimum. It was working.... but tonight I am awake at 3:00 am with bone pain. I hate the bone pains.

My running plans this year are focused on my husband..., he is running Boston in April. So I signed up for the Boston 5 km. I’m not fast, like him, so the 5 km is likely the closest I’ll get to running Boston. LOL. Otherwise, I want to run our local Kakabeka Falls Legion Marathon this year. And the Xterra Sleeping Giant Trail 22 km run again. That’s a tough, but fun race.

All my best for a fabulous running year for you all!

• lorreymom
    lorreymom Member Posts: 9
    Options

I wear long shorts for this exact reason too! My legs rub together... bad chafing in a skirt... even with glide.

• iwaveatcows
    Options

lorreymom -- i love how you are a streaker and and do your best to run those pains away! I felt I couldn't run while on the hormone blocker--does it ever effect your heart rate?

Hope to see you in Boston -- fingers crossed for good weather and a tailwind this year!