Come join others currently navigating treatment in our weekly Zoom Meetup! Register here: Tuesdays, 1pm ET.
Fill Out Your Profile to share more about you. Learn more...

Starting chemo February 2020

Options

Comments

• hray1993
    hray1993 Member Posts: 220
    edited February 2020
    Options

prayers for you scattered! Post a pic when you’re done and we will tell you how great you look rocking that bald! I keep trying to flatten my hair down to kinda see how I’ll look bald but you can’t really tell

• Sweettalker52
    Sweettalker52 Member Posts: 58
    edited February 2020
    Options

Scattered, just saw that Great Clips offers free clipper cuts for people in our situation, if you have one close by. I believe that the safe clipper setting is 2, not totally short to avoid ingrown hairs.

Hang in there!

• texasmama
    texasmama Member Posts: 129
    edited February 2020
    Options

Hray1993- How scary! I’m sorry you had a reaction.

ScatteredEnergy- Hugs and high fives as you make the plunge and clip off your hair.

I’ve been wearing my head coverings for a few minutes around the house to help me get used to them.

My bone pain is decreasing. Hallelujah! It’s the only major side effect that I’ve had so far

• scatteredenergy
    scatteredenergy Member Posts: 320
    edited February 2020
    Options

it is done. It still keeps falling and my scalp still hurts a bit but I'm glad it is off.

• morrigan2575
    morrigan2575 Member Posts: 799
    edited February 2020
    Options

you look good!

Wish I was where you live, way too cold here 😁

• Sweettalker52
    edited February 2020
    Options

Very nice, Scattered! ThumbsUp

• scatteredenergy
    edited February 2020
    Options

Thanks ladies. I live in sunny South Florida.

• hray1993
    edited February 2020
    Options

scattered, you have such a glow to your skin It’s beautiful and the hair being gone really highlights that! Looks great!

• Maddy83f
    Maddy83f Member Posts: 78
    edited February 2020
    Options

Scattered - you look beautiful! I had my hair cut really short/shaved like yours and last Monday night my scalp started to feel irritated. I found that putting some lotion on my scalp really helped - and as I rubbed in the lotion I realized all the little hairs were coming out. My scalp felt so much better once I was done. The next morning I took a warm shower and used the baby shampoo I had purchased for my scalp. I took a soft washcloth and rubbed my scalp again and more hairs fell out. I no longer have any scalp irritation and I have to say - it is amazing how easy it is to get ready with no hair to dry/style.

• scatteredenergy
    edited February 2020
    Options

Maddy83f, that's what I want. I tried using a scarf but it bothered me with the short hair. The only thing I was able to tolerate was a baseball cap. I bought a bunch of them different colors from Amazon.

• texasmama
    edited February 2020
    Options

Looking great ScatteredEnergy! I hope you get the last hairs off soon!

• ajminn3
    ajminn3 Member Posts: 284
    edited February 2020
    Options

Looking great ScatteredEnergy!

My household continues battling illness. All 3 boys are at Grandma’s house being cared for and today my 5 year old tests positive for influenza A...so now we all get tamiflu and I pray my other 2 boys don’t get it. They were supposed to come home Monday since I thought I’d be in the clear with my immune system and now I just don’t know. It’s so depressing not being able to care for you own kids. I feel absolutelyterrible.

• texasmama
    edited February 2020
    Options

ajminn3- I’m so sorry. Hugs and prayers for you.

• Maddy83f
    Maddy83f Member Posts: 78
    edited February 2020
    Options

I have found some comfortable hats on headcovers.com.

• hray1993
    edited February 2020
    Options

anyone have neuropathy? I’m on taxol first. Had my second treatment of it on the 20th and my toes started tingling last night and still tingling today. They had told me it would start around week 6 but online it says that it can start 24-72 hours after infusion

• Fab4mom
    Fab4mom Member Posts: 190
    edited February 2020
    Options

scatteredenergy - I love the hair

ajminn3 - I'm so sorry that you are suffering. I was on tamiful the week of my first infusion, and was able to stay flu safe while living in the house with my son with influenza B, because we don't have anyone to take him. All the rest of us have managed to stay healthy on tamiflu, but it's rampant at school still, so I don't feel safe. I'm keeping them home as much as possible, just school and important activities. Today in IL the weather is gorgeous, so we will get outside for fresh air finally!

texasmama - I kind of like slippery, creamy type foods. Plain noodles with butter or olive oil seem to be my favorite.

I haven't been on since I posted feeling so down last week. I totally turned a corner on day 9 of my first treatment, and resumed my regular life. I went to my favorite cardio kickboxing, ran errands, etc. It felt so good. Yesterday I got out with some friends, and did family activities, and really feel like myself. I'm trying to appreciate it all so much while it's here and I still have more than a week until my next treatment. I did get pretty bad chemo acne, which has been disheartening, because it's hard to cover up, but I already got antibiotics and a topical cream from the dermatologist, so hopefully that will help. My hair is shedding alot today (Day 12) and I didn't sleep well thinking about it. I have had long hair my entire life, never once cut short, so it's such a huge thing to shave it/lose it. I think I'm ready, so I'm contemplating my shaving party with my kids and husband today, before the chunks come out. It's the last part of the process that is still really giving my anxiety, and at this point, I think I might just want it over with. But my kids want me to wait until I'm really losing it, because they are more stressed about it than even I am. Also, I got my period yesterday, which I wasn't expecting, so I think I had some PMS added to everything last week. I was told I wouldn't get it on chemo, but I'm assuming this is just me adjusting based on where I was in my cycle. It was early and it's pretty light, so I bet it's my last one until chemo is done (or hopefully forever according to my onco, it's better if I go to permenant menopause).

Good luck to everyone who's heading into another round of chemo or just struggling right now!

• Sweettalker52
    edited February 2020
    Options

ajminn3 - hang in there, my dear. The sun will come out tomorrow, bet your bottom dollar, there'll be sun...

Fab4mom - so glad you have had some really good days to balance the awful ones. The chemo is like a marathon that I was totally unprepared for, but I will make it across the finish line!

Some new side effects from Round 2 of 4 (TC+Neulasta) Today is Day 5 of my 21 day cycle. Concerned about tomorrow, that was the worst day last round. Fingers crossed. Hair still not totally gone, but emotionally I'm dealing better with that issue. No tears for several days!

• morrigan2575
    edited February 2020
    Options

SweetTalker - What were your new SEs in round 2?

• Sweettalker52
    edited February 2020
    Options

morrigan_2575 - New symptoms, Round 2: swelling of feet and ankles, acne on my face, red angry rash on the top of my feet and just in the last two hours, also breaking out of the top to my hands. Headaches continue. No nausea! And I was able to sleep almost 8 hours last night. So not all bad!

Best Wishes, everyone!

• morrigan2575
    edited February 2020
    Options

Hopefully those SE calm down soon. Best of luck!

• texasmama
    edited February 2020
    Options

Sweettalker- I’m sorry to hear about the rashes. Are you having a reaction to the meds or is this an expected se? Hugs and prayers for strength for tomorrow.

Fab4mom- Big hugs to you! I hope you’re able to get your shaving party out of the way and you find relief.

My darn bone pain is back today. I had a great day yesterday and I was able to get stuff done. Today I’m back to soaking in the tub and sitting around with hot pads. Unfortunately, I can’t take the pain meds my doctor gave me. When I took them on Friday my heart was racing. I had been lying still in bed, but my pulse was 154 beats per minute. Now I’m sticking with ibuprofen.

• morrigan2575
    edited February 2020
    Options

I just started taking Daily Claritin. I didn't have bone issues with the Nuelasta shot last time but, I figured it couldn't hurt. Plus I've been getting runny/stuffy nose and someone mentioned this could help

• texasmama
    edited February 2020
    Options

Yes, I take a daily Claritin for allergies. I hoped that would help prevent the bone pain, but it didn’t help me. I saw that someone in the September chemo group took two doses of allergy meds. I’m going to give that a try.

• Sweettalker52
    edited February 2020
    Options

I've been on Zyrtec daily for years for allergies, and it was expected to help with the bone pain and back spasms from Neulasta, but it wasn't effective. I've switched to Claritin this round. Another doctor said that it's okay to use two doses of allergy meds occasionally. I also asked a pharmacist if it's okay to take Zyrtec and Claritin if needed. She said yes, but not routinely.

I have some muscle relaxers on hand and will start Ibuprofen tomorrow to try to get ahead of the back spasms and bone pain before it hits me. For an injection that costs over $6,000 Neulasta works great, but I wish it didn't have the side effect.

TexasMama - the rashes are an expected S.E.of Cytoxen, I believe. I remember that the oncology team told me that it might happen. I've been slathering it with Eucerin cream, which is thicker than Cisco shortening! Seems to help some. Might switch to Aloe Vera tonight.

Take it easy, you guys. Time to get my feet up.

• texasmama
    edited February 2020
    Options

Thanks Sweettalker. It’s good to know that doctors are okay with occasionally doubling up on antihistamines. I think I’ll buy some Zyrtec tomorrow and take Claritin in the morning and Zyrtec in the evening.

• mnsusan
    mnsusan Member Posts: 139
    edited February 2020
    Options

I'm plugged in for the first time and so far, so good. A sweet friend of mine knit me a prayer shawl and I feel surrounded with hugs, prayers and love. And here's the view out my window. It's a beautiful day here. I’ll put on the Dignicap in a few hours image

• morrigan2575
    edited February 2020
    Options

good luck MNSusan!

That's a nice view and nice chair LOL

• mnsusan
    mnsusan Member Posts: 139
    edited February 2020
    Options

Thanks morrigan. This is a nice location. Now I’ve got the cap on. Hoo-ey it’s cold! Starting Taxotere soon, then when that’s done, two more hours with the cap. image

• ajminn3
    ajminn3 Member Posts: 284
    edited February 2020
    Options

MNSusan- oh my! looking great and what a beautiful view! Prayers and well wishes for an easy first round. It’s going to reach 40 here in MN and here I though I was lucky with that “heat wave” haha

I went back in for bloodwork today and while my neutrophils are still low, they’re on their way up! We survived the influenza madness and my kids will probably be able to come home tonight or tomorrow, so I’m feeling a little more up than over the weekend. I have Round 2 on 3/4. I’m feeling physically so good besides some minor GI issues...hard to think about going back in and plummeting to blah status again. 5 more rounds. End of May. I can do this.

• morrigan2575
    edited February 2020
    Options

Thanks morrigan. This is a nice location. Now I’ve got the cap on. Hoo-ey it’s cold! Starting Taxotere soon, then when that’s done, two more hours with the cap.

You'll adjust to the cold pretty quickly. Good luck!