Come join others currently navigating treatment in our weekly Zoom Meetup! Register here: Tuesdays, 1pm ET.
Fill Out Your Profile to share more about you. Learn more...

Starting chemo February 2020

Options

Comments

• ILOVERMONT
    ILOVERMONT Member Posts: 23
    edited January 2020
    Options

Hi I'm from the Starting Chemo in April 2019 group and wanted to share (or re-share) something I found on this board about dealing with hair loss and an option that can greatly reduce the resulting stress. There is something called a halo wig but this is made-- with your own hair! I don't work for Chemo Diva but I have made it my mission to educate patients, physicians, anyone facing this or know someone who is. Turnaround time was 4 days. Covered by insurance. Your hair has to be at least 7 inches in length. I had my hair cut after my first chemo. They have a website Chemodiva.com and are on Facebook. DM me with any questions.

This is what it looks like underneath. Super comfortable!

Halo wig with my hair

• scatteredenergy
    scatteredenergy Member Posts: 320
    edited January 2020
    Options

ILOVERMONT, oh wow. That's a great option for those with longer hair.

• texasmama
    texasmama Member Posts: 129
    edited January 2020
    Options

ScatteredEnergy- I’m glad your port placement went well. I hope your throat feels better soon! I’m getting my port tomorrow.

• scatteredenergy
    edited January 2020
    Options

ILOVERMONT, good luck

• hray1993
    hray1993 Member Posts: 220
    edited January 2020
    Options

Scattered, I’m glad it went well and you are only sore. I’m getting my port on the 7th of feb. I will have twilight anesthesia

• scatteredenergy
    edited January 2020
    Options

hray1993, that's what they used. Surgery was only 15 mins. In and out.

• Rose14
    Rose14 Member Posts: 7
    edited January 2020
    Options

Hello ladies. I'm starting 4 rounds of Taxotere and cytoxan as soon as I get approval from my insurance. Anyone else doing this combination? I have triple negative IDC. Im really nervous.

• dysonsphere
    dysonsphere Member Posts: 134
    edited January 2020
    Options

Hey there guys! I was set to be a January chemo person but I have had some issues with my port. I went in for chemo yesterday and the port had flipped! So I will be having revision surgery today and start chemo on Monday. February 3rd! Honestly, it was such a let down to not start my chemo. I had worked hard to be positive and ready for whatever chemo would bring and instead I spent a day of painful poking and imaging tests and finally the bad news I have to have my 2nd surgery in one week.

I will be having the dose dense AC for 4 rounds and then Taxol for 12 weekly rounds.

• mnsusan
    mnsusan Member Posts: 139
    edited January 2020
    Options

Hi ladies. Just found out yesterday that I'll start chemo on Feb 24. I'll be having Taxotere, Herceptin and Perjeta every three weeks. I really like my oncologist (who is young and has had triple negative breast cancer) and the center where I'll be treated They have service dogs that visit you while you wait! I've been a member of BCO for almost 15 years and have received so much help and support here.

• scatteredenergy
    edited January 2020
    Options

Rose14, I'm not. I know it is easier said than done but try to relax, it is what it is so just "enjoy" the ride. We will get through this shit lol

dysonsphere, that's my fear. My doctor told me, no heavy activity, etc. Nothing that can cause it to flip. Did you feel it flip? I will be doing the same treatment as you.

MNSusan, we need to like your physicians and where you will be spending most of your time. Doggies are a nice plus lol

• morrigan2575
    morrigan2575 Member Posts: 798
    edited January 2020
    Options

Me too! First infusion is 2/5/2020. I'm doing 6 cycles of TC/HP prior to Surgery.

I just had my port put in today. So far, no pain but, I read on the first page it might be sore tomorrow so I'll take some Tylenol and, I have ice packs.

I'm doing the Dignicap as well, I'll keep you posted on how it goes. They said you don't need to cut your hair but, I'm going to cut it to my shoulders since it's pretty long.

My Oncology center says they have a freeze spray that they use on the port, they wanted me to try it out before prescribing the Cream but, I mentioned it to my Surgen today when he did the port and he went ahead and prescribed it for me today so I'm just going to use it. I have a pretty high pain tolerance to take the chance

• dysonsphere
    dysonsphere Member Posts: 134
    edited February 2020
    Options

I did not feel anything unusual and I didn't do anything out of the ordinary between the surgery and chemo infusion that would have dislodged it. I believe it flipped when they tried to insert the needle because the port had not healed in place yet. During the revision they sutured it in place and rescheduled my chemo for 2/6. Hopefully it will have healed properly and there will be no further issues! They said it was not a common issue.

• ajminn3
    ajminn3 Member Posts: 284
    edited February 2020
    Options

Hi everyone, joining this group and starting my chemo on 2/12. I got my port placed today and it was a piece of cake compared to my surgery in early January. I will be doing TCHP every 3 weeks for 6 rounds. Then I continue the HP every 3 weeks until I hit a year. I’ll do also radiation mixed in after those 6 rounds are done. After that’s all done I get the hormone therapy for 5-10 years. It’s going to be a long year...or a long decade, but I’m ready to tackle it

• Maddy83f
    Maddy83f Member Posts: 78
    edited February 2020
    Options

Ajminn - welcome to the group - sorry you have found yourself in the club that no one wants to join - but glad that you found us! I started DD AC/T on Jan 21st so jump back and forth between the January and February groups - my second dose is next Tuesday. I don't have the same treatment as you do and don't know what side effects/preventative measures that are recommended for TCHP - but I can tell you that I have felt really good throughout the last two weeks an the preventative measures recommended to me have worked - I feel very blessed. My priorities are exercise and hydration - with protein as a third priority. I have been taking Claritin every day starting about a week before my first treatment and experienced no side effects, other than a day or two of fatigue after the neulesta shot. I use biotine toothpaste/mouth rinse several times a day - if I forget I do get a mouth sore. I have found that it is sometimes easy to forget the preventative measures when I am feeling so good.

I did get my head shaved last night. One of my closest friends was here with me, as well as my husband and our hairdresser came to my house which was very kind of him. I had assumed that by now (Day 11) that my scalp would have been feeling tender, based on what I have read of others experiences. Honestly, I have a thick head of hair and had been told by several people that I clearly could hold off shaving my hair for a while, but my friend was here visiting and I just went ahead as planned and am very happy that I did. it was going to happen no matter what - and now it is behind me. I found a great selection of hats on headcovers.com and got a halo from the boutique at our breast center so I was all set. I also feel a sense of peace. I have a treatment cycle under my belt so I have a good idea of what to expect for the next three cycles and I have the "hair thing" behind me. So the big unknowns that I was facing two weeks ago - are now known.

Best wishes to everyone -

• mnsusan
    mnsusan Member Posts: 139
    edited February 2020
    Options

Welcome, ajminn3. We spend summers in Minnesota. Well, maybe not this year ... we'll see.

Maddy, thank you for your post. It helps. My cancer center has digicaps available to use at no cost but they add 90-180 minutes to the time in the chair. I'm thinking about it.

• scatteredenergy
    edited February 2020
    Options

morrigan_2575, my MO is prescribing me the numbing cream and if the center has another numbing product, I want it as well. I want it all lol. My port was put in on Thursday and it is still super sore. I cannot imagine the pain of a needle going in now.

dysonsphere, my breast surgeon says she sutures it in place but still I should take it easy for two weeks so it doesn't flip.

ajminn3, welcome. I haven't even researched the hormone therapy thing yet lol. I did tell my MO that I want my ovaries out. She said we will look into it before my breast surgery.

Maddy83f, from everything I have read, I'm assuming I'll be shaving my head by the end of this month. After my 2nd chemo.

• Maddy83f
    edited February 2020
    Options

ScatteredEnergy - I was really happy that I did it at home - I know some women have their husbands shave their heads - but I just know that would have been too hard for my husband. If you haven't gotten any hats/scarves yet, I recommend headcovers.com. They have a great return policy so you can order a variety and then see how they work for you. I used the skin colored hair net that was used during my wig fitting to schmoosh down my hair and try on the hats before my head was shaved. I am sure they have a kind of wig liner or something on headcovers.com that you could use for the same purpose if you want to have a hat /scarf ready. I did not have a mirror when my head was shaved and even just closed my eyes and prayed/took deep breaths at beginning - by end I could open my eyes - but again wasn't ready to look in mirror. My friend put lotion on my scalp - Aveeno Baby Lavendar I think - because I didn't want to feel it right away. Then I put hat on and she help straighten it out. My husband poured champagne to toast a new beginning - I drank ginger ale.....

• Maddy83f
    edited February 2020
    Options

ScatteredEnergy - I was really happy that I did it at home - I know some women have their husbands shave their heads - but I just know that would have been too hard for my husband. If you haven't gotten any hats/scarves yet, I recommend headcovers.com. They have a great return policy so you can order a variety and then see how they work for you. I used the skin colored hair net that was used during my wig fitting to schmoosh down my hair and try on the hats before my head was shaved. I am sure they have a kind of wig liner or something on headcovers.com that you could use for the same purpose if you want to have a hat /scarf ready. I did not have a mirror when my head was shaved and even just closed my eyes and prayed/took deep breaths at beginning - by end I could open my eyes - but again wasn't ready to look in mirror. My friend put lotion on my scalp - Aveeno Baby Lavendar I think - because I didn't want to feel it right away. Then I put hat on and she help straighten it out. My husband poured champagne to toast a new beginning - I drank ginger ale.....

• scatteredenergy
    edited February 2020
    Options

Maddy83f, that sounds like it was very special. I already have scarves and a hat or two. I buy them locally for less than $10. The one in the pic below cost me $7

I'm very picky about having hair on me so I will most probably go to a salon and then go straight home to take a shower lol. And I'll also be looking as they cut. The shock wont be as much lol

• texasmama
    edited February 2020
    Options

Dysonsphere- I’m so sorry about your port. I can imagine that was a physically and emotionally draining experience.

Maddy83f- I’m glad you were able to have your head shaved at with your friend and husband by your side. I’m really happy with headcovers.com also. I’ve ordered several hats and have returned a couple.
    I appreciate their generous return policy

MNSusan- I’m sorry you find yourself back here. I wish you all the best in your treatment.

Rosie14- I am getting the same treatment as you. I start tomorrow. When do you start?

ScatteredEnergy- Nice scarf! You look great!!

I have my first infusion tomorrow. I took my steroid this morning. I was told that I would have a ton of energy, but I’m actually tired. I also thought I steroids made people hungry but I have very little appetite today.

• Rose14
    Rose14 Member Posts: 7
    edited February 2020
    Options

TexasMama, I don't have a date yet. My oncolgist said we will start as soon as my insurance approves it. I'm going to try it without a port since it's only 4 times.

• morrigan2575
    edited February 2020
    Options

TexasMama - I guess every place does it differently, or at least my place does, i thought i'd get the Steroid to take before hand but, they haven't given me any prescriptions (not even the anti-nausea). they said they'd send me home with the prescriptions, which seems dumb to me, i'd rather pick them up today/tomorrow so they're already at my house rather than stopping to pick them up after the Infusion.

• scatteredenergy
    edited February 2020
    Options

morrigan_2575, that's annoying. Maybe you can be a bit more aggressive. I'm getting all my prescriptions today, three days before my 1st chemo.

• texasmama
    edited February 2020
    Options

My chemo is postponed. I had a reaction so my doctor is trying to get my insurance to approve a different drug and we’ll try again Friday.

• scatteredenergy
    edited February 2020
    Options

TexasMama, oh crap. That sucks.

• texasmama
    edited February 2020
    Options

Thank you, ScatteredEnergy. That about sums up my feelings, but oh well.

• morrigan2575
    edited February 2020
    Options

Sorry to hear that TexasMama. Hopefully you'll have better luck with the new drug

• Craftylife61
    Craftylife61 Member Posts: 34
    edited February 2020
    Options

My thoughts are with everyone and their struggles and journeys. I’m having my port placed tomorrow.

Friday I meet with my oncologist for the first time. I’m nervous. I want her to see me as a person, I want her to pick the best treatment for me , I want to feel a connection.

Hubby and I went to Biltmore House today. It was a gorgeous day in a beautiful place.

• scatteredenergy
    edited February 2020
    Options

Craftylife61, good luck tomorrow. And I hope you like your oncologist.

I'm a bit depressed tonight. I hate my natural nails and my MO told me today I needed to remove my fake ones. No nail polish either. I know I'll get over it but I might take a while.

• hray1993
    hray1993 Member Posts: 220
    edited February 2020
    Options

scattered, I was told by a breast cancer survivor to paint fingernails and toenails with clear nail polish. She said it keeps them from turning black