Come join others currently navigating treatment in our weekly Zoom Meetup! Register here: Tuesdays, 1pm ET.
Fill Out Your Profile to share more about you. Learn more...

Starting chemo February 2020

Options

Comments

• ajminn3
    ajminn3 Member Posts: 284
    edited February 2020
    Options

My port was placed on my right side. My cancer was on the left and I had a bi lateral mastectomy with direct to implants. I was sedated/out while they placed the port. A quick 30 minute “nap” and it was done! I have to say my surgeon is wonderful...one week out and my port spot is just slightly bruised and looks like I got a paper cut. Barely noticeable! I start chemo Wednesday

• scatteredenergy
    scatteredenergy Member Posts: 320
    edited February 2020
    Options

voncloft, I was told that they prefer to put it opposite to the cancer side, between your collar bone and breast.

• mamamoose
    mamamoose Member Posts: 6
    edited February 2020
    Options

Hi there! Just wanted to say welcome to the club. I’m from Valparaiso, Indiana. So sorry you’re going through this. Getting my port put in in a few weeks. Maybe we can be cycle buddies thru this bullshit...

• scatteredenergy
    edited February 2020
    Options

mamamoose, welcome

• morrigan2575
    morrigan2575 Member Posts: 798
    edited February 2020
    Options

i actually wanted to be awake because I hate general anesthesia but, my doctor does ports under general. I guess in the long run that's better I just get freaked out about general.

My port is on the left because my cancer is in the right breast

• texasmama
    texasmama Member Posts: 129
    edited February 2020
    Options

Does anyone know why they put the port on the opposite side as the cancer? I had tumors in both breasts.

• Maddy83f
    Maddy83f Member Posts: 78
    edited February 2020
    Options

Texasmama - i also had cancer in both breasts. They placed the port on my left side. Given that the purpose of the port is to provide an 'easy' access for chemo and blood draws I don't think the location of the cancer is part of the determination.

My MO/Breast center requires that the port be placed at least 10 days prior to the first chemo. Right after the port was placed, I did find it uncomfortable to have a seatbelt over the port side when I was driving - but now I no longer even notice the port. I have been very happy with having the port during the 2 treatments I have had so far and with the numbing cream haven't experienced any pain at all.

• morrigan2575
    edited February 2020
    Options

i thought they'd wait 10 days from port placement until chemo but, they did it 5 days later. Thankfully with the cream, I didn't feel anything.

So far the Claritin and Aleve seem to counter the Neulasta shot, I haven't had any issues with bone/joint paint since the shot on Friday.

Also not really having issues with nausea (so far). Food does taste funny although sweet stuff still tastes good.

• voncloft
    voncloft Member Posts: 13
    edited February 2020
    Options

My chemo starts one day after the port is put in.

Thursday the port is put in, Friday my first day of chemo starts.

I had a walkthrough of the facility and education of what to expect.....atleast I get a "first class" suite. Its a big cubicle where they do my infusion. Covered by insurance thankfully. I get my own tv, a nice comfy chair....and "possibly" a window (depends on the day).

3 hours to do one infusion.....I wanted this to be over last week!!!!!! I want all of my treatment to have been done one hour ago!!!! ... but no they have to drag their knuckles.

My surgery they literally closed me up before even sending my tissue to the lab. Really!!? I wish they would have just taken the tissue to the lab, realized I needed the port.....and put it in while I was under at that time....nope they botched the damn process.

• scatteredenergy
    edited February 2020
    Options

I'm not doing good. My 1st AC was this past Thursday and I have been down since then. I can't barely eat or drink anything. Everything makes me nauseous, even my own saliva. I'm scared now for the other treatments if this is how I fel with my first.

• dysonsphere
    dysonsphere Member Posts: 134
    edited February 2020
    Options

Scattered, I feel the same. Sat and Sun were hell. This is my first time being able to even get off the couch. I have not thrown up, but I just feel like I want to throw up all the time. I think the worst is the fatigue. I cannot get up to do anything. I feel a little bit better today, not much, but a little bit. I was thinking yesterday that I don't know how I will get through so many rounds of chemo if this is what I can expect. I've just been praying to get through it.

• morrigan2575
    edited February 2020
    Options

are you both doing A/C + Taxol?

• texasmama
    edited February 2020
    Options

Hugs and prayers for ScatteredEnergy and Dysonsphere. I’m so sorry you’re not doing well. Praying you’ll find relief soon.

• Fab4mom
    Fab4mom Member Posts: 190
    edited February 2020
    Options

I'm new here, starting TCHP chemo on 2/12 and mom to 4 kids, grades 2-8. I'm so ready to get started and find out how this treatment is going to affect me. I was diagnosed less than a month ago, and I still feel like I've been waiting forever to get started. I'm going to pick up my meds now from the pharmacy so i'm ready to start the steroids and pepcid and stuff tomorrow morning. I almost never take medicine, so this feels pretty overwhelming to me! I'm glad to have found this board, it's helpful to have people going through the same thing as me.

• ajminn3
    edited February 2020
    Options

Scatteredenergy and Dysonspere, sorry to hear it’s been rough :( hoping you two get some relief soon.

Fab4mom- I start TCHP on 2/12 too! I have 3 kids (13 months-5) and also have never really had to tackle much medicine wise some I’m very curious how this will go for me. Praying it’s not horrible. I need to remember to take my steroid starting tomorrow

• Maddy83f
    Maddy83f Member Posts: 78
    edited February 2020
    Options

Scattered and Dyson - so sorry to hear you are both not feeling well. Have you reached out to your doctor about feeling nauseous? I was told by my doctor that if I felt nauseous I should call because there is a lot of options to help relieve that. My stomach is very picky about what I eat - and I have to eat something small (like a single portion yogurt) about every three hours to keep queasiness away. I was given a prescription for anti nausea that I take even at the first hint of queasiness.

• morrigan2575
    edited February 2020
    Options

I'm on TCHP as well, started 2/5. Good Luck!

So far I'm mostly fine. I feel like I have a mild cold (sore throat). I don't have fatigue, I've done a slow walk (treadmill) every day except Chamo day. I am taking naps or just going to bed early (like 8:30pm)

Dysonsphere/ScatteredEnergy - I'm sorry you're starting off on such a rough note.

• Craftylife61
    Craftylife61 Member Posts: 34
    edited February 2020
    Options

So I finally met with my oncologist today and he gave me a choice between what I did last time (2014) which was 4 rounds of Cytoxan and Taxotere or doing 4 rounds of AC and 12 of taxol with the possibility of Carboplation thrown in every third treatment.

My tumor was stage 1, grade 3. I’ve already had my lumpectomy.

He says there’s no right answer. There are no statistical differences in the treatments right now.

Knowing that the Adriamycin can possibly hurt my heart and the Carbo could hurt my liver, I’m feeling like I want to do what i did before. I had five years survivorship on that side and this current cancer is a new primary. It is a hard decision. Sigh.

Dysonsphere and ScatteredEnergy, my heart goes out to your rough beginning and I pray there is relief soon.

• ajminn3
    edited February 2020
    Options

morrigan- happy to hear about minima side effects so far! Especially since I’ll be on the same treatment. I’m hoping the same for me in terms of side effects. I have read (I know, I know I should prob stop) about diarrhea as a common side effect and am nervous about it since I’d really like to go back to work during treatment. I guess I won’t know until I know in terms of side effects!

Craftylife61- sorry to hear about a secondary for you. Making decisions is so hard...there’s so many pros and cons to weigh.

• morrigan2575
    edited February 2020
    Options

"about diarrhea as a common side effect and am nervous"

This hit me yesterday and today, don't know how long it will last. I've taken Immodium and eating some binding foods.

• Fab4mom
    Fab4mom Member Posts: 190
    edited February 2020
    Options

ajminn3, we'll be chemo buddies. Yes, steroid starts tomorrow morning, and pepcid for me too. morrigan 275, I'm so happy to hear your side effects are so mild. My 7 year old son came off the bus today and immediately spiked a fever. Sure enough, infulenza B, even though we have all had flu shots. A rush to the pediatrician, calls to my onco and long trip to the pharamcy, now my entire family of 6 is on tamiflu, in efforts to stop the flu in its tracks. Now I'm not sure if my hubby is going to be able to go with me for chemo on Wednesday, he may have to stay home with a sick kid. Ugh!!

• texasmama
    edited February 2020
    Options

Craftylife- My Doctor gave me the same choice as yours. She also told me that there’s no evidence that the AC&T would reduce my chance of recurrence anymore than the tc. She said it came down to how I would feel if I had a future recurrence. Would I regret not trying the AC&T? I decided that I would rather not take the longer treatment with more risk if they couldn’t tell me that there would be any extra benefit. I agree that it is a hard decision. I hope you are able to find peace in whatever decision you make.

Fab4mom- Welcome! I’m sorry about your son’s illness. and really sorry to hear that your husband may not be able to go to your first infusion. I hope nobody else in your family gets sick.

• texasmama
    edited February 2020
    Options

I called my insurance today to check on the approval. It has been assigned to a technician. If my doctor has submitted all the correct documentation, I should have an answer in 24-72 hours. I’m really hoping to start this week.

• hray1993
    hray1993 Member Posts: 220
    edited February 2020
    Options

I start chemo on Thursday. I'll do 12 rounds of taxol then 4 rounds of AC. The taxol is first. With the taxol I'll also have clinical trial study drugs administered as well so Along with my taxol I'll also get pembrolizumab and SD-101. The SD-101 will be injected by needle directly into my tumor and the other one and the taxol will both go in my port. I'm pretty nervous

• scatteredenergy
    edited February 2020
    Options

Another complaint, I'm about to go back to my regular chemical full deodorant if I don't find one that works. I hate the way my armpit smell with the aluminum free one. Has anyone found a good one?

• morrigan2575
    edited February 2020
    Options

i was reading the radiation thread and they recommend Toms of Maine

Curious, why did you have to change deodorant? No one has mentioned that before

Welcome Hray1993. Sorry you had to join our community. Best of luck with your treatment

• scatteredenergy
    edited February 2020
    Options

morrigan_2575, I forgot why lol but I was one of the many things I had in a list. But I will ask my MO next week and see what she says.

• morrigan2575
    edited February 2020
    Options

I'm going to see my MO tomorrow. I will add the deodorant to my list of questions. I had already added a question about Vitamins and Suppliments. I told them I took a Multivitamin, Calcium+D and Iron Supplement daily. They never told me to stop but, I see comments here that other MOs advised against it. So I want to check on that as well.

ETA: i actually did end up with a weird side effect. I have Thrush, i noticed a couple of people with TCHP on the other threads mentioned it. i wondered why my throat was sore and i was having a hard time swallowing. They sent me a prescription to counter the issue, i asked if it could happen every infusion and they mentioned that for some patients it does happen. So we're going to see what happens after the next infusion and i may have to go on some pill for after each infusion.

All in all, still not feeling that bad. i know it gets worse and that each infusion will kick my ass just a little bit more but, hopefully i can make it through 5 more cycles.

• dysonsphere
    dysonsphere Member Posts: 134
    edited February 2020
    Options

I thought I was doing better but suddenly got diarrhea on day 6. ;-( . I have visit with my MO tomorrow so I guess I will see if it's normal to be this out of it for so many days. I am on my first round of AC and so far days 3 and 4 were the worst. 5 and 6 a bit more bearable but have diarrhea and feel some mouth sores coming on.

• ajminn3
    edited February 2020
    Options

Texasmama- I’ll be crossing my fingers that you get your approval so you can get started!

Hray1993- You got this! I haven’t heard of injecting into a tumor, but then again this is all new to me. I’ll cross my fingers that your round goes well and your nerves calm. It’s all so overwhelming.

Morrigan- thanks for the side effect updates. I’m glad they can give you some meds to relieve the thrush. I also need to ask about vitamins and supplements at my Appt tomorrow. You can make it through 5 more. I just keep telling myself, “it’s only X months...I can get through anything in X months.” Or at least I hope I can...

Dysonsphere- so to hear about the diarrhea. It’s something I feel all but sure I’ll get as a side effect. Did they give you anything to help with it? I hope you get some relief soon.

I start my first round tomorrow. As of now I feel okay about it. I’m not happy, but I understand it’s a necessary evil. We will see if I’m as level headed about it tomorrow once the infusion starts or after the SE’s kick in. Let’s get this Fab4mom! (My chemo buddy starting on the same day)