Fill Out Your Profile to share more about you. Learn more...

Covid-19?

123457»

Comments

• marijen
    marijen Member Posts: 2,181
    edited May 2020

hmm, they want me to take it down but there is no place to delete.

• exbrnxgrl
    exbrnxgrl Member Posts: 4,690
    edited May 2020

marijen,

If you are logged in you should see two options at the bottom of your post. They read Edit/Delete. I am well aware of Kennedy’s stance on vaccines. I am also aware of the fact that some people will have adverse reactions to vaccines. However, I was Peace Corps volunteer in a country with limited vaccine availability. I was there a year or two before smallpox was declared eradicated. Once you see many people in a given population crippled by polio, scarred or killed by smallpox, and on and on for vaccine preventable diseases, the anti-vaccine movement makes little sense.

Update: post has been removed by community

• divinemrsm
    divinemrsm Member Posts: 5,973
    edited May 2020

marijen, as stated, I was already aware of the stance RFK Jr. has taken on vaccines. It is not new news, so your post wasn't revealing anything to me I hadn't already known. I have read quite a few biographies and autobiographies on the Kennedys, from Jackie, of course, to Ethel and Ted, Maria, Caroline, John Jr., Patrick, and more, as well as numerous compilation books on various family members. So it is natural that I read up on them when one of them is in the news. I had already known about RFK Jr.'s views on vaccines as it's been written up about the past few years.

I worked as an aide at an elementary, and our school district, like many, did not permit students to attend school without the proper vaccinations. I do not agree with RFK Jr.s opinion. I've heard quite a few stories like the one exbrnxgrl above mentions, where people have seen the effects first hand on what the absence of vaccines can do to a population. I've had nurses tell me about the tragedy of children dying from a childhood illness unnecessarily because a vaccine could have saved the children's lives.

The anti vaxxers love having someone so recognizable as their poster spokesperson for their cause, but as much as I admire the Kennedy family, RFK Jr.s celebrity status doesn't sway me.

• marijen
    edited May 2020

It's NOT about anti-vaxing as I said before. Therefore I think your follow up posts are not necessary but I would take it down if I could since it upsets you. There is no edit option under that and other posts that I can see. It must be a website glitch as most posts do have edit options which I have used for years.

I am not an anti- vaxer to be clear.

Edited to say that RFK jr said he justs wants the vaccines to be SAFE! And he has seen the data on them all.

• SerenitySTAT
    SerenitySTAT Member Posts: 3,534
    edited May 2020

Kennedy is a well-known anti-vaxxer.

Most people want safe vaccines. I do agree with Kennedy that "Operation Warp Speed" to have a vaccine available by year end is dangerous.

Once a well-tested vaccine is ready, I'll mask up and get in line.

• marijen
    edited May 2020

From Wikipedia

He is a prominent anti-vaccine activist and believes in pseudoscientificspeculation of a link between vaccines and autism.[4][5] Kennedy has denied such characterization.[6][7]

Yes Serenity, please no Warp Speed which now I understand. I haven’t been a follower of the anti- vax movement. I just happened upon the Interview that I had to watch to the end. 2 1/2 hours. It would be nice if people watched it before comments. It gives so much food for thought on many issues.

RFK Jr himself says in it, he tried to get the mercury out of fish for over thirty years and he was never labeled anti-fish. He’s also against Monsanto etc. but has not been called anti-food.

After watching I will not hold my breath for a vaccine and the only thing I can do is strengthen my immune system. And live cautiously until it’s safe. I have only been out three times in the last month and only because I stupidly broke my wrist. But I did get to see how Urgent care, Er and my Hospital are handling the pandemic. It has been very reassuring. I even got a covid test before surgery.

Yes exbrngirl, some people have bad reactions. Another itme he covers.

Anyways I feel no need to convince anyone, I was just sharing.

• sadiesservant
    sadiesservant Member Posts: 1,875
    edited May 2020

Hi All, can we move on please? Given everything we have to deal with?

I, for one, sincerely hope that an effective and safe vaccine is coming as soon as is feasible. While I have no immediate plans for travel, I do feel this is impacting the precious time that I and other stage IV gals have. (And what I would give for a haircut!)

Stay safe everyone!

• marijen
    edited May 2020

This is a very slow thread Sadie, I don’t think any discussion here is getting in your way of moving on. But I’m sorry you fear you don’t have much time. I think you meant to go to another coronvirus thread anyways, the one for Stage IVs that the rest of us us of were left out of.

• marijen
    edited May 2020

Defense minister claims Israel's biological institute developed virus antibody

Naftali Bennett hails 'amazing achievement'; his office says shadowy defense research facility moving to patent treatment, approaching international companies to mass produce it

5 May 2020, 1:06 am

Illustration of a man receiving a vaccine. November 06, 2018. (David Cohen/FLASH90)

Defense Minister Naftali Bennett on Monday said he witnessed a "significant breakthrough" by Israel's defense biological research institute in developing an antibody to COVID-19, as the researchers wrapped up the development phase and moved to patent and mass produce the potential treatment.

Bennett visited the labs of the Israel Institute for Biological Research (IIBR), a secretive unit that works under the Prime Minister's Office, in Ness Ziona and was shown the "antibody that attacks the virus in a monoclonal way and can neutralize it within the bodies of those ill," according to a statement from his office.

More at
    https://www.timesofisrael.com/defense-minister-cla...

• sadiesservant
    sadiesservant Member Posts: 1,875
    edited May 2020

Ha! You're really something. What a shame to be left out of stage IV. How sad for you... Bawling

• marijen
    edited May 2020

Touché

• moderators
    moderators Posts: 7,815
    edited May 2020

Two interview opportunities:

NPR in DC would like to interview someone who has had to delay their breast cancer surgery because of COVID-19 and how that has affected their care.

AND

O, The Oprah Magazine would like to interview a woman who developed (and recovered from) COVID-19 while also dealing with breast cancer.

If you're interested in participating in either interview, please email Ella Chick at echick@breastcancer.org by Monday May 11, 2020. Please specify which interview you'd like to participate in. Thank you!