Come join others currently navigating treatment in our weekly Zoom Meetup! Register here: Tuesdays, 1pm ET.
Fill Out Your Profile to share more about you. Learn more...

Starting Chemo April 2020

Options

Comments

• debra1111
    debra1111 Member Posts: 22
    edited April 2020
    Options

Thanks Allie and Katie !! Love the pics Zarin and Nan :) Zarin, that will be me soon :) Nan, not having any control over life anymore is not a good feeling. I woke up and put my shoes on and soaked up the morning sun taking a short walk. Trying to start a new morning routine of a few minutes outside with Nature and God before I start my day. This is Day 2. It felt empowering to break away from the usual morning routine. Felt like Fall out this morning.

• LiseC
    LiseC Member Posts: 24
    edited April 2020
    Options

Stacy - so glad to hear you are negative for COVID and get to go home. I am really sorry about the lung mets. I hope your docs can get some answers for you.

Mudstick - good luck starting your chemo! I am also working full time, have a 4 year old son, and am isolating. It has not been easy! My son's daycare has been closed since mid March and all Florida public schools are continuing remote learning through the end of the year so I assume our daycare will not open until the end of May. I try to stay positive but I am getting more and more bitter that I received this diagnosis amidst a pandemic. I feel like it would be easier to navigate if I had some time to myself during the day (my hubby is "essential personnel" and works 7am - 7pm) or if I could go to groups and activities that are typically offered to women in our position. Like you, I enjoy a challenge so I just need to suck it up and play the hand I was dealt.

Zarin - you look amazing! Your hubby did a great job!

Stay strong ladies!

Lise

• ipenelope
    ipenelope Member Posts: 233
    edited April 2020
    Options

Zarin- you look great with the buzzed look!

• sugar77
    sugar77 Member Posts: 1,328
    edited April 2020
    Options

Nan and Zarin - love the pics. It's so great to see everyone's faces!

I'll be picking up my prescriptions today and will start steroids tomorrow for round two. I see the oncologist tomorrow morning and for bloodwork. If all is good then I'll have chemo on Friday. My scalp was getting tingly so I had my hair buzzed into a GI Jane cut. It hasn't fallen out yet. I assume it will soon since I'm three weeks out from the first treatment on Friday. My energy is good and I'm trying to take as many daily long walks as possible on the days when I feel up to it and the weather is good. Here I am yesterday on a walk. It was very nippy and there was even a bit of snow but I managed to log 6,300 steps. Due to the wind, I pulled out a cheap wig as I didn't want to risk my good one blowing in the wind. LOL Hope everyone has a great day!

• Hurricaneblair
    Hurricaneblair Member Posts: 39
    edited April 2020
    Options

Penny...I just saw your first post...what a journey you have been on! Your last couple of months have been quite the adventure, too! I hope your pelvis is feeling better and better each day. Have you heard back from the radiation place? Will they be able to accommodate you in your wheelchair?? We are so glad you are here in this group!! Chin up, PennyThePest!! 😁

MudStick, jelloelloello, ipenelope...praying all went well with your treatments this week and anyone else who is starting or already moved on to the next round!

Debra1111...glad your first round went fine....you are right this is all so overwhelming...processing the diagnosis, meeting doctors, getting scans, and then we have to think about the treatment options and research and oh, not feel super great from time to time as well!! But from your post, you sound like a trooper, just like the rest of us...putting one foot in front of the other. I think I was told surgery would happen about a month after the last chemo.

Nan...love the sweaters you are making! It is definitely a productive use of your time!

Zarin...you are definitely rocking the buzz cut! Looking like a Valiant Warrior Princess!!!

Sherri...it is great seeing your beautiful face! Great job getting out even though it was windy and cold!! I have definitely found getting a walk in most days has felt great and drinking a lot of water!

I am on Day 14 post first treatment...feeling kinda like myself with the exception of a few minor side effects. I am kinda on the edge of my seat wondering when my hair might start falling out. Next Wednesday is my son's 17th birthday and I would kinda like to still have my hair, but I suppose that is truly out of my hands. I will post my Valiant Warrior Princess photo like Zarin did when I decide to have my hubby buzz it. I heard that term...Valiant Warrior Princess in a Bible Study by Priscilla Shirer a couple of years ago and thought that was an appropriate term for us right now!

Go Take on the Day...Erin

• pjb61
    pjb61 Member Posts: 38
    edited April 2020
    Options

Hi ladies. Thanks for all of the condolences and thoughts with the loss of my mother-in-law. I appreciate it!

I'm day 3 after my 1st chemo infusion. Also got the Neulasta Onpro last night. Felt great first two days. Couldn't even tell I'd had chemo. Not so lucky today. It's not awful, but getting a little worse as the day goes on. Tired, a little achy here and there, mild headache, slight nausea, no appetite and some mild epigastric pain. But I've still done things around the house and made dinner. I just took my first zofran pill so hoping that kicks in and I can eat what I made! And hoping it doesn't get worse over the next couple of days. Time will tell, I guess.

Stacey, that's wonderful that you got to go home. Hope you are resting better there. I'm so sorry to learn about your lungs. Praying your medical care will be effective against it.

Welcome to pennythepest, mudstick and Debra1111. Sorry you all have to be here but it's a great group of ladies! And welcome to Nan as well. I love your sweater!

Zarin, you are beautiful. It's inspiring!

How is everyone else getting along?

• Hurricaneblair
    Hurricaneblair Member Posts: 39
    edited April 2020
    Options

So I feel like over the past 24 hours my face has erupted in blemishes! Anyone else experiencing this? I don’t normally break out like this....is Chemo to blame?

From Pizza face in Southern Illinois....Erin 🍕😉

• shellyrm
    shellyrm Member Posts: 4
    edited April 2020
    Options

please add me to the roll call.

ShellyRM (Shelly), San Jose, California. Started chemo today , April 22nd.

I started chemo today.
    Taxotere
    And cytoxan

Neulasya Onpro delivered the following day via a timed onbody injector

4 sessions 3 weeks apart.

So far I'm feeling okay👌🏼. I came home after Chemo and worked half a day on the computer. There seems to be a common theme that i will likely feel more effects on day 3 ish.

Thanks for adding me in the thread.

✌🏼

• ipenelope
    edited April 2020
    Options

Welcome Shelly! Glad your feeling ok still. Sadly you will likely start feeling negatively after about 24 hrs from end of session as steroids start to wear off. My initial was AC and late day 2- day 5 were my worst days!! I hope you don't suffer too many negative side effects!!

I hope everyone is staying safe and keep up the fight to kick cancer's ass!🥊🥊

~Katie💗

• zee72
    zee72 Member Posts: 21
    edited April 2020
    Options

Erin - last week I too had breakouts on my face. My oncologist told me it is due to the high dose of steroids given in the premeds. This week the steroid dose was halved, from 20mg to 10mg. So the breakouts have all subsided. But have been feeling other stuff like, stomach cramps, mild constant nausea and general uneasiness. Not sure if all this related to the reduction in the steroids.

Zarin

• pjb61
    edited April 2020
    Options

Shelly - Welcome to the group. I am on the exact same treatment plan as you and I'm two days ahead of you. I felt perfectly normal on Day 1 and Day 2. Woke up on Day 3 (yesterday) with some mild epigastric pressure (?heartburn/reflux?) and mild shortness of breath. Also had intermittent side effects throughout the day like headache, nausea, lethargy...but all pretty mild.

I'm also on Claritin, Pepcid, Dexamethasone and Naproxyn once a day each (for 3 days) and have Zofran I can take prn. Took it before supper for the first time last night and also took it this morning. I think those have all helped with some of the side effects. I'm also not sleeping well which could be from the Dexamethasone. I took all of those for the last time this morning. I kinda think they help with the Neulasta side effects more than anything. But who knows?!

This morning (Day 4) I woke up with some leg pain and hip pain but no shortness of breath or epigastric pressure. We shall see how it goes. Overall, I don't feel great, but I don't feel terrible. But we are all different! I wish you the best. Let us know how you're doing!

• BostonGal
    BostonGal Member Posts: 154
    edited April 2020
    Options

Shelly,

Welcome!

I love your term "common themes." It says so much to me personally. Yes. We will each find our "common themes" I suspect. The medical team says I will find my new normal.

It occurred to me: I found the first week of chemo distressing - even tho I had relatively mild symptoms...but then I thought: "I now know what I might expect, what it is going to feel like, and perhaps I will not be surprised/distressed by it...next time..." Perhaps I will be better prepared to deal with them. I now know how to take Colace! I've learned that Rolaids helped my indigestion. I've learned that day or so of perplexing depression was transient. And more!

We are navigating completely new terrain. We are learning about ourselves - past, present, future. I will force myself to look for the sunshine, the beauty and learn how to handle the rainy days and see the beauty in them as well...

I love reading hiking memoirs. There are some fantastic terms used in hiking lingo that are applicable here.

"Zero Days" when you get off the trail and do what you have to in order to regroup.

"Trail Magic" - when someone leaves treats on the trail for hikers or does some such good deed to help.

Blessings.

Allie

P.S. Don't let this woman cut your hair! I did a blunt cut to remove about 12 inches of hair in preparation for losing it as the medical team says I likely will. Boo hoo. But...but...I feel that without hair, people's facial features and personalities become even more wonderfully present.

• byhisgracetwice
    byhisgracetwice Member Posts: 218
    edited April 2020
    Options

Thank you everybody for your kind words of encouragement and support.

Met with new MO today. What a class act — his recommendation is the real Herceptin. He wants me to consider 12 rounds of weeklyTaxol. He also wants to get a palliative oncologist on our team who can help with pain management as needed.

I'm grateful you've shared your Taxol journeys; gives me great insight into the reality of what it will be if I choose to do it. I have some thinking to do.

j

• sugar77
    edited April 2020
    Options

Hi ladies,

This might fall under the category of "TMI" but I'm trying to figure when to take something that will help with constipation. Tomorrow on chemo day, I will be given a Zofron 30 minutes before first medicine is infused and then I will take another at home before bed. It's very constipating and last time I wished I had taken something but can't remember what to take for it and when to take it. Night before ( tonight) or night of chemo (tomorrow)? I also can't remember what exactly to take? I have something that was recommended along with the Percocet when I had the mastectomy so I could probably use that. Please let me know and thanks in advance!

Sherri

• sugar77
    edited April 2020
    Options

ByHisGraceTwice - so happy to hear you have a great new oncologist. Sounds like things are off to a really great start. All the best with your treatment :)

Welcome to Shelley - so glad you found us!

• ipenelope
    edited April 2020
    Options

Sherry- you could try prunes or prune juice for a more natural effect. Otherwise there is sennoside with docusate, sorry spelling might be off, that will soften and assist with bowel movements. There are powders to mix with liquids but they tend to cause bloating pressure. You can also do sennoside or docusate by themselves though they work better together. Senna-S is what the conbo is frequently known as. I hope this helps!!

Try, if your able, to increase intake of liquids Ann's high fiber foods like apples (with skin), grapes, avocados, popcorn, brocolli in your diet especially a couple days before through a couple day's after too see if that helps. I know energy is a big issue for all of us on treatment but increased movement can assist with bowel movements.

I hope everyone is staying safe and keep up the fight to kick cancer's ass!🥊🥊

~Katie💗

• armom4
    armom4 Member Posts: 82
    edited April 2020
    Options

My face is breaking out too! Theres little pimples all around my nose. Also, I feel like the skin on my nose is thickening. There's little sore bumps all over my scalp too. I think my hair will fall out soon.

• armom4
    armom4 Member Posts: 82
    edited April 2020
    Options

Zofran also makes me constipated. I start 2 days before chemo taking a full cap of Miralax everyday until a few days after chemo when I don't need the zofran. I learned after my first infusion. Miralax doesn't help instantly so taking it a few days before will help keep you going. Well, it does for me anyway!

• pjb61
    edited April 2020
    Options

Sherri - I don't have any great ideas for you but I do have sympathy. I'm in the same boat. And I only took the zofran twice. I think a lot of the meds they give are constipating and the cumulative effect is huge. I started taking colace. Took it once on Wednesday, twice yesterday and going to take it three times today. Also going to eat prunes today. And take magnesium. And keep eating plenty of fiber. I might try to get my hands on some Miralax for next time. Thanks for that suggestion, ARmom4.

• sugar77
    edited April 2020
    Options

Katie and pbj61 - thanks for your tips. I found the bottle of what was recommended after my mastectomy and it's called Docusate sodium. Not sure if there's a more recognized name for it because I bought the a generic store brand version. I'll take it picture of it and show the oncology pharmacist today just to be sure before I take it. It's a fine line because the constipation last time was only for a couple of days and then the continuum moves to needing Immodium. It's a fine line. Again, sorry for TMI but I know this is the group to ask. I've been tracking my water intake since last chemo three weeks ago and I average 15 cups per day. I'm also walking a lot. I try to do at least 7,500 steps per day but did over 12,000 steps yesterday and 10,000 the day before. It's a good way to burn off some energy from the Dexamethasone. LOL

• pjb61
    edited April 2020
    Options

Sherri, yes, the Docusate sodium is the same thing as the colace. Let's hope it helps! And I hear ya. Don't want to go too far with it or we will have the other problem! Darned if you do, and darned if you don't!

• BostonGal
    edited April 2020
    Options

ok. Glad the convo is about the belly and diet. Someone help me and reassure me to be able to eat fruit! I am afraid that I won't wash it well enough to get rid of bugs on it! I would like to have a baked potato too!

Am I worrying too much? I think so!

I have had alternating constipation and some loose stools since chemo. Not bad..but not "me"! I definitely need more fruits and vegetables! Ran out of vegetables but have ordered more.

Allie

Update just washed and devoured a big Fuji apple! So delicious! Fruit from heaven!

• wahoomama87
    wahoomama87 Member Posts: 194
    edited April 2020
    Options

Erin - I'm day 14 today too and still have no sign of hair loss. But I'm waiting every day to get the scalp tingling! I've already cut it short and my husband will also buzz me when the time comes.

Zarin - you look BEAUTIFUL! You are giving me hope/courage for when I shave mine! Thanks for sharing that awesome photo!

pjb61 - Day 3 was when I started feeling really fatigued and that lasted about 3 days, and then I started feeling much better. I'm at the end of week 2 (I'm every 3 weeks for chemo) and I feel mostly completely normal now. A few lingering things like dry skin and a sensitive spot on my gums, but otherwise, my energy level and appetite are normal.

Allie - I've had the exact same conversation with myself. I've documented each and every side effect and symptom daily, so now I feel better prepared for Round 2.

• jelloelloello
    jelloelloello Member Posts: 83
    edited April 2020
    Options

Big welcome to our new peeps: Debra (Debra1111), Nicole (NicoleRod), Mudstick, Shelly (ShellyRM) and ARmom4! I've added you all to our Roll Call list at the top. By now, all three of you have started your treatments—we look forward to hearing how it's going.

Nan (CCgirl): Saw that your doing radiation first and chemo might be delayed. Hang in there! I hope you stick with us regardless because I feel like we're all a nice little family already :)

Thought I'd also check in with one of us who didn't have a start date yet, the last I heard:

Vilija (sunandsea): Any news? Did I miss a post? How are you feeling?

• shellyrm
    shellyrm Member Posts: 4
    edited April 2020
    Options

Thanks for the kind words everyone.

This group is so helpful. I keep reading everyone’s notes over and over. It makes me feel not so lonely.

Have a peaceful weekend. ✌🏼💕✌🏼

• sugar77
    edited April 2020
    Options

Wahoomama - I thought mine would have started falling out by day 14 too but it didn't. Today is day 21 and it started falling out a bit yesterday and heaps of it today in the shower. At this rate, it'll all be gone in the next few days. I had it buzzed last week at day 14.

• jelloelloello
    edited April 2020
    Options

hey everyone! I’m loving the pics- it’s so good to see all of you, Heather, Sherri, Nan, Zarin, and Allie! I’m adding pics from yesterday’s chemo session #4, which I themed as Hawaii Day. Even though you can’t tell in pics, I’ve already lost over half of my hair. For reference, I’m on Taxol only (and an experimental immunotherapy drug called Libtayo) and my scalp first started tingling and some clumps started coming out on Day 14 (right before my 3rd session), but it really started falling out like crazy on Day 21, right before my 4th session. Will cut or shave it tonight or tomorrow!

Also wanted to add for any newbies that the reality of chemo is not this happy and fun the whole time, though I’m really working hard to keep my spirits up. It’s like 50% super boring waiting around for your meds, 10% netflix/crossword puzzles/snacks/photo shoots (in my case, haha), and 40% laying there covered up and passed out from the pre-meds. Also, squeeze in 2% silent prayers that you don't have any bad reactions to any of the drugs and 1000% appreciating the nurse team who take care of you.

• jelloelloello
    edited April 2020
    Options

Hey the non-mask-covered pic didn’t post so I’m trying again:

• BostonGal
    edited April 2020
    Options

Fabulous to hear from so many today!

God bless you all.

Allie

• hnsquared
    hnsquared Member Posts: 47
    edited April 2020
    Options

I love it Jess! None of the infusion nurses at my center have a sense of humor. I get side eyed for icing my hands and feet and they tell me it won’t help. I’m a little jealous when I hear people talk about how much they love their nurses and how helpful they are. I had my 4th taxol this week too. I don’t expect my hair will make it through the weekend😂.