Come join others currently navigating treatment in our weekly Zoom Meetup! Register here: Tuesdays, 1pm ET.
Fill Out Your Profile to share more about you. Learn more...

Starting Chemo April 2020

Options

Comments

• sugar77
    sugar77 Member Posts: 1,328
    edited April 2020
    Options

Authorspot - so sorry to hear you've fallen ill. I'm sending lots of healing vibes and prayers your way. Please keep us posted and take care.

• Hurricaneblair
    Hurricaneblair Member Posts: 39
    edited April 2020
    Options

Stacey....I am so sorry to hear you are in the hospital, but grateful you were monitoring your symptoms and took action in it. Praying that you will be feeling well shortly and be able to go home soon.....Eri

• Hurricaneblair
    edited April 2020
    Options

Saw this on the Triple Positive Group and thought it might be helpful here, too....hope this is okay to do:

• Hurricaneblair
    edited April 2020
    Options

Also, someone posted the following link to the American Cancer Society page....it is a printable to track all the whacky side effects and whatnot...

https://www.cancer.org/content/dam/cancer-org/cancer-control/en/booklets-flyers/phm-tracking-tools.pdf

hope someone finds this useful...Erin

PS...BIG HELLO to our new newbies... kind of feel like we are all newbies!

• hnsquared
    hnsquared Member Posts: 47
    edited April 2020
    Options

oh Authorspot I hate to hear you are going through this. Sending all good thoughts and positive vibes your way. I’m so sorry you have to be alone through this. Hugs!

Lise...I’m glad your PA said if you do well through 3 taxol then you might continue to do well. I did #3 Wednesday and am doing well. I hope it continues this way.

Jess...like you I haven’t had any surgeries, well tonsils as a kid but nothing else. I don’t take any medications and I eat healthy. Surgery terrifies me and I struggle putting all these meds in my body but we do what we have to do to get through this.

So I lost handfuls of hair in the shower on Friday and more today. Not sure how much longer I can stall clipping my hair. I cut it into a bob myself on Friday....thank his I work from home I’m a hit mess😂.

This is me the week I started chemo. How I will miss that hair

• byhisgracetwice
    byhisgracetwice Member Posts: 218
    edited April 2020
    Options

Authorspot — hope you’re feeling better this evening. Thought about you when a post about a class action lawsuit over flushable Charmin baby wipe came up on my FaceBook. Sad though to have lawsuit over flushing baby wipes.

j

• pjb61
    pjb61 Member Posts: 38
    edited April 2020
    Options

Sherri, Thanks for the encouragement. I love the thought of "welcoming chemo into my body." Might as well embrace it. And also, nice to know I may not lose my eyebrows or lashes! That would be wonderful! Although those "eyebrow wigs" do sound intriguing!

Jess, thanks for you encouragement as well. I WILL get through this!

Kris, it's a relief to hear you also have plant allergies but did so well with Taxotere. So sorry you've been feeling so rough. Hope and pray it is getting better.

Erin, thanks for the link to that tracking tool. I'm going to use that!

And Stacey, I'm so sorry you are in the hospital! I hope your test is negative and I hope and pray you are feeling better soon and be released. I see you live in Illinois. What part of IL are you in?

Okay, tomorrow is the big day. I had so many things I wanted to get done today and then we learned late this morning that my mother-in-law passed away quite suddenly. She was 92 and lived life to the fullest. She raised 7 children, had 26 grandchildren and too many great-grands to count. She still hosted holiday meals several times a year for 75 or more family members. She was amazing! She went to bed and died peacefully in her sleep. What a way to go. She was an encourager to me with my breast cancer. She told me I would do just fine. I'm going to do my best to prove her correct. Good night ladies. I'll try to check in tomorrow after its all over.

• sunandsea
    sunandsea Member Posts: 28
    edited April 2020
    Options

Pjb61 - I’m so sorry to hear about your MIL’s passing. She sounds like she lived one incredibly full life. Sending my condolences. Also, I wish you only the best in the start of your treatment tomorrow. Keep us posted!

Hnsquared - love that shot of you. Have faith that your hair will grow back - that’s been my mantra. And know that you’re not alone in this...

AuthorSpot - I’m relieved to hear you’re getting the care that you need. I am sending you good vibes for a discharge on Tuesday. Take care...

• nicolerod
    nicolerod Member Posts: 2,877
    edited April 2020
    Options

Hi ladies..I'm Nicole I usually post in the Stage IV forums but I am starting IV chemo now so decided to come here. I am starting Doxil on Thursday... (I am in that thread as well) If anyone here has ER+ HER2- breast cancer and gets Neulasta can you tell me about that??? I heard it is bad for Hormone Positive Breast Cancer??

Also I was originally suppose to get the infusion once a month but heard it might be better to get lower dose 2 times a month... any opinions??

Thanks, Nicole

• byhisgracetwice
    byhisgracetwice Member Posts: 218
    edited April 2020
    Options

pjb61 — What a grand lady! My wish for you is when you think of your mother-in-law soon first will appear a smile instead of a tear. I wish your husband strength as he learns how to live his life without his mom. :>(

Authorspot — hope you got some restful sleep last night and are feeling better this morning.

Nichole — I can't answer your Neulasta question but wanted to say welcome.

j

• BostonGal
    BostonGal Member Posts: 154
    edited April 2020
    Options

Hello all,

Just catching up.

Stacey: I am so sorry for the problems. My best wishes are with you and I will say a little prayer and light a candle.

Heather: your photo is beautiful As I've said before, when I see bald people (or any people actually...) I look for and appreciate their beauty. I feel that without hair, the beauty is actually magnified. You can really see the eyes and other facial features then. . I am looking forward to looking at myself in new ways. I dealt with the mastectomy scar in the way I had envisioned: It is a thing of beauty and strength. And oh boy, let me tell you the soreness and tightness really seems to be lessening now at somewhat over the six-week out mark!

pjb61: I add my condolences on the passing of your remarkable mother in law. Her story lives and inspires. God bless you and all who loved her. I will be thinking of you today in chemo...

To all, my continued best wishes, blessings, and gratitude,

Allie

• ipenelope
    ipenelope Member Posts: 233
    edited April 2020
    Options

Authorspot- sending healing vibes your way and prayers for quick healing!!

pjb61- very sorry for your loss!! She sounds like she was a very supportive, wonderful person!! Thoughts and prayers to you and your family during this sad time!

Nicolerod- the first time around for me I received Neulasta bi-weekly, day after in fusion, while receiving the AC part of my treatment. I was estrogen positive at that time. I am not sure what you mean by increased risk for hormone positive tumors. The injection did not seem to affect any aspect of my treatment.

I hope you ladies are staying safe and keep kicking cancer's ass.

~Katie 💗

• AuthorSpot
    AuthorSpot Member Posts: 15
    edited April 2020
    Options

Hey all! Still in the hospital. Covid was negative, so that’s a plus. I do have pneumonia in the left lung and very low white count. They are hoping the Neulasta shot I had Wednesday will kick in soon. Some other blood levels are off too, so I’m looking at a couple more days in here on IV antibiotics. I don’t feel too bad, just very tired. I managed a shower today. But mostly I sleep. I’m still spiking fevers every time the Tylenol wears off and those make me achey and miserable. But this too shall pass. Unfortunately, they may have to move my next chemo out a week. Although, I’m not sure I mind so much.

I did start losing my hair on my scalp today. When I dried my head after my shower I noticed a ton of little hairs on the towel and my chest. Not too concerned, but I was kind of rocking the buzz cut.

Pgb61–I’m so sorry for your loss, but what a remarkable woman. Hugs to your family. I live about 30 minutes north of Quincy, IL, which is where I am right now. Where are you located? Good luck today!

Love to all, and for gosh sakes, don’t flush wipes! 😂🤣

• ipenelope
    edited April 2020
    Options

Stacey- Yay no COVID!!! I hope the antibiotics kick in soon and get you feeling better quickly!! Sleeping all the time sucks but it's what your body needs to help you recover!! Keep up the great attitude!!

~Katie💗

• jelloelloello
    jelloelloello Member Posts: 83
    edited April 2020
    Options

Quick shout out to Katie (ipenelope) and pjb61 who are starting chemo today! Congrats on the big day! Hope it goes well! We are all with you on this journey :)

• ipenelope
    edited April 2020
    Options

Jess- thank you!! It all went well, no negative side effects though a little fatigued, but sadly like most side effects tend to show the more chemo you recieve.

Ladies please stay safe on your journeys to kick cancer's ass!!🥊🥊

~Katie💗

• sugar77
    sugar77 Member Posts: 1,328
    edited April 2020
    Options

Authorspot - I'm three days behind you so I suspect my hair will fall out in the next few days. I, too, am rocking the buzzed cut.

pjb61- so sorry for your loss. I extend my deepest condolences. Sounds like she had a wonderful, long life and for that I'm sure you can be grateful. It hurst just the same though. Good luck with chemo today!

Katie - regarding Neulasta did your oncologist say something about it's use with ER+ tumours? Or, did you read something? I had it before when I was triple negative and was prescribed it again now and I'm ER+. Nothing out of the ordinary was mentioned to me. Please let me know and all the best for chemo to go smoothly today. Thanks!

I'm feeling like my old self and have been since Good Friday. Got my hair buzzed the other day and wore my good wig for a walk last night and the wind picked up as got the furthest from home. I thought I was going to lose it. I'll pull out a cheap, fun wig from last time for windy walks. To my daughter's surprise, her boyfriend is now rocking the same buzz cut as me. I guess he got tired of his during quarantine and shaved it off. Hmm, he's a copycat. LOL

My next treatment is on Friday, assuming my blood counts are good during my Thursday appt with oncologist. Fingers crossed because I want to get this done and over with.

• ipenelope
    edited April 2020
    Options

Sugar77- regarding the Neulasta, Nicolerod head posted a question about it with hormone positive tumors. Chemo went good today, no issues, thank you!!

~Katie💗

• pennythepest
    pennythepest Member Posts: 9
    edited April 2020
    Options

OK, I jumped the gun because I started chemo on Jan. 3rd. This is my third try to get it right. I had breast cancer in 1997 (DCIS) and had a lumpectomy. Then in 2004 they found another DCIS in the same place so I opted to have a bi-lateral mastectomy. Fast forward to November of 2019. I had a CT scan of my abdomen for an entirely unrelated problem and they found suspicious spots on my pelvis, did a biopsy and the spots were metastatic breast cancer.

My oncologist thought that Ibrance would take care of it and my insurance company started trying to get an affordable prescription because the standard cost is $1,700/per month which I definitely can't afford. On Dec.27th I saw my oncologist again and the lab work showed that my tumor markers had almost tripled so the oncologist switched me to chemo. My tumor markers are still high and I've been having chemo for four months now with all the nasty side effects. Plus, in late January I slipped off the bed and landed on my backside. It fractured my pelvis and I ended up in a wheelchair.

I'm supposed to start radiation next week for five days which is not easy with the wheelchair. But... Yesterday the nurse mentioned that sometimes one radiation would do the trick which would make life a lot easier. But... then she mentioned that sometimes it took ten sessions. They're supposed to call me back - I hope to hear from them today.

BTW, I'm eighty years old. I sometimes get the feeling that my (very young) oncologist can't believe that anyone my age is having this problem.

Good news. The radiologist called and said they had decided that one radiation would do it. That will be tomorrow, April 24th. I'm a happy camper.

• AuthorSpot
    AuthorSpot Member Posts: 15
    edited April 2020
    Options

Good news/bad news today. Good news: I get to go home! I’ve been fever free for 24 hours (well, less than 100.5) and my white count climbed back to 2.7. So switching to oral antibiotics and sending me home. Super yay. I’m exhausted still, but will get more rest at home.

Bad news: they did a CT scan to look at the pneumonia and found that my lung nodules had grown and sprouted a few more. Also my breast tumor has not shrunk any. Obviously, these results will have to be discussed with my oncologist, but they don’t sound promising. Anyone with lung mets experiences to share?

Also, I have a scaly rash on the back of my neck, into my scalp. Anyone else? Not really itchy, just feels weird. Trying not to keep rubbing it so I don’t make it worse.

And, here is a link to all the possible Neulasta side effects for anyone interested. I was definitely not fully informed about them. I think some of what I’ve attributed to chemo is actually from the shot. And I’m the lucky 1% who gets a severe sore throat. But the consulting oncologist also told me this is the cause of my severe back pain. I honestly thought I had another kidney stone!

https://www.drugs.com/sfx/neulasta-side-effects.html

Love to all!

• wahoomama87
    wahoomama87 Member Posts: 194
    edited April 2020
    Options

Sherry - so glad you are going home, but I'm sorry about the lung news. Hang in there - we are all pulling and praying for you.

Heather - I saw your question a few days ago about the mastectomy/reconstruction. The same procedure has been recommended to me and I'm on the fence, honestly. I'm definitely doing the bi-lateral mastectomy, regardless. My friend had the surgery with reconstruction and was happy she did it that way. My issue issue is that I have cancer in at least 1 or 2 lymph nodes, and if the chemo doesn't erase that, they will probably recommend radiation. In which case, I can't have the reconstruction at the same time as the mastectomy. They would put in expanders to "hold" the space, do the mastectomy, then I would have radiation, and THEN reconstruction. The thought of having TWO major surgeries is just not what I want to do. So I'm leaning towards just going flat if they insist on radiation. I'm still exploring my options, but that's what I'm thinking.

• mudstick
    mudstick Member Posts: 53
    edited April 2020
    Options

Hello Everyone :-)

I'm finally jumping in after confirming my start date is tomorrow (ack!!!) for 4 rounds of TC to treat a local recurrence. My initial tumour had a low oncotype (14) and I did not do chemo or radiation. I was on Tamoxifen for about a year before I felt a small bb or pea in my scar just after Christmas, which turned out to be a recurrence once all was said and done.

I'm feeling alright right now about the whole thing and have been in general over the last several months of testing and imaging. In someways, I'm calmer than the first go around (fall 2018) and guess I'm more mentally prepared.

I have two children (Grade 6 & Grade 3) and an amazing, very supportive and helpful husband. I'm appreciative of my entire support network and I'm very very grateful. The kids are handling everything as well as I could hope. They are excited to have a chance to cut Mum's hair and play hair dresser once the time comes! I'm going to try to donate my hair though...it is super long. Short hair and then baldness is going to be shock to my self-image. I have caps and wigs on the ready and just trying to take things day to day right now.

However, trying to work full-time, teach or monitor the kids school work, stay isolated because of Covid and now facing down Chemotherapy has been a challenge. Good thing I like challenges!

I've been slowly reading through everyone's posts and look forward to getting to know this group as we go through these tough times together. I'm jotting down everyone's recommendations too and they are very helpful :-)

• BostonGal
    edited April 2020
    Options

Welcome Mudstick!

Best wishes for tomorrow!

Allie

• debra1111
    debra1111 Member Posts: 22
    edited April 2020
    Options

Hello Everyone, I am new to the forums. I have lived on them for the past week trying to wrap my head around my diagnosis and treatment plan. Reading so many threads and stories of individuals going through this along side with me has brought so much comfort and knowledge. Thank You All !!

I am 10 years out of initial diagnosis. Only had to do lumpectomy and radiation and five years on Arimidex the first time. Fast forward exactly ten years. I had a mammogram on 2/14/2020 that was clean !! Two weeks later I find a small pea size lump in my same breast that was involved before. Was able to see a surgeon in the midst of all this Coronovirus Pandemic and with the help of Radiology Services had three separate biopsies, MRI, and Pet Scan to determine that it is a different cancer this time and it had not spread so I know that I can beat this thing !! This Invasive Lobular my Oncologist said is often missed on Mammograms ?? There is so much to get to the other side this time. I had my first round of TCHP on 4/15. Handled the Chemo fine and very little side effects except mouth issues. I hate the thought of losing my hair but then that seems to be how we all feel. The hair is the least of our issues, right ? After treatment ends I think my best option is to have a double mastectomy. How long do i need to wait after I finish treatment ? Its so overwhelming.

I just turned 60 but feel I am a young 60. I hope to get back to my physical self after this is all done. I am married 35 years to a great husband and have three children. Both of my daughters are nurses so they help me so much with understanding this new treatment plan I am on. I feel HER2 positive is a beast that has been unleashed on me. So glad I am in treatment only 3 weeks after diagnosis. I knew this time was different and it was taking over my body. Walking still and drinking a gallon of water a day. So hard to stay positive some days. Feels comforting to know so many women are on this emotional roller coaster with me.

• BostonGal
    edited April 2020
    Options

Welcome Debra1111!

Allie

• CCGirl
    CCGirl Member Posts: 86
    edited April 2020
    Options

Hi Allie,

I read about you being antsy before you started treatment and totally related to it. I've been waiting for 4 weeks since my surgery to find out what my chemo is going to be. Since there were no lymph nodes to test, I told I'm an unusual case. We're hoping the oncotype test will be back early next week. Then they can decide what to do. Has anyone else had this problem?

Luckily, the oncologist says that it's not usually a problem to wait to start chemo and that the optimum window is 3-6 weeks. I'm trying to look at this time as the honeymoon phase where I'm healed up from surgery but not yet sick from chemo. It's disconcerting not having any control over life right now. I just keep knitting :) I'm on my second sweater since being diagnosed. The picture is me wearing the first one. image

Sending best wishes and virtual hugs, and hope you’re feeling better

Nan

• ipenelope
    edited April 2020
    Options

Stacey- I was dx recently with lung Mets and have gone through surgery for it and just started chemo and immunotherapy for it. Feel free to message me with any questions and I'll try to help!! Yay about being able to go home and very sorry you got bad news about your cancer and it not improving!! Thoughts are definitely with you right now!!

Debra- for my exchange surgery my surgeon wanted me to wait about a month after chemo to allow my body to recover some.

I hope everyone is staying safe with the COVID19 crap and keep up the fight to kick cancer's ass!🥊🥊

~Katie💗

• zee72
    zee72 Member Posts: 21
    edited April 2020
    Options

Wow! I have been away for 4 days form this forum and so much has happened! Our lives are constantly changing and evolving. We all already know the obvious...like positivity, staying strong etc etc. It’s the putting into practice...that is the hard part. But certainly with all the support and positive vibes out there we will all get through this. Each time I log on, I pick up so many good bits of useful information that I may not have found elsewhere. So thank you everyone!

I just got done with my third week of weekly taxol and carboplatin. But it seems I was reacting very strongly to the steroids that I had been getting. So this time they reduced the dose of the steroids. Last few weeks I was getting a rash all over my body, very low energy on day 3 and 4 after the session, red face with acne... So hopefully this week it will be better.

My scalp has been quite tender so my oncologist suggested that I shave my head now, since hairfall will be expected after week 4 or 5. So I took the plunge last evening. My dear husband did the honours.

Stay well everyone! Good luck to everyone with their upcoming cycle.

Zarin

• BostonGal
    edited April 2020
    Options

Nan,

Thank you.

Your thoughts lift me up and inspire.

Bless you.

Keep knitting!

What lovely work you do!

Allie