Come join others currently navigating treatment in our weekly Zoom Meetup! Register here: Tuesdays, 1pm ET.
Fill Out Your Profile to share more about you. Learn more...

Starting Chemo April 2020

Options

Comments

• LiseC
    LiseC Member Posts: 24
    edited April 2020
    Options

Jess - your pic is super cute! I love that you theme your sessions!

I had taxol #3 today which they have to do at half speed, so 2 hours, because I had a reaction the first time. My iron was low last week so they also gave me an additional medication adding on some more time. It was a long day but overall it was good. My hubby was able to join me for the first time so it was nice having him there with me. Out of nowhere, my 4 year old son said “mommy, your hair is so pretty. I don't want it to fall out". I'm betting I will lose my hair this week some time. My sister-in-law owns a salon so I think I will ask her to buzz my head and let my son help so it's something funny he can do. The hair seems to be the one thing he is fixated on. Every time he brings it up, I tell him that it will grow back and if it bothers him I will wear a hat around the house. Any advice on how to make this easier for him?

Here's me during my infusion 🙂

Have a great weekend!

Lise

• debra1111
    debra1111 Member Posts: 22
    edited April 2020
    Options

Good Morning,

Thanks for all the great posts and feeling like we are all in this together. I have read every one this morning. So Grateful for this page. I have 10 days out from my first treatment and I like many others have this crazy acne showing up all over my face especially nose area ..... ugh. But the worst is my poor mouth. I did not use ice chips during my first infusion but I will absolutely for the remaining ones. I can't seem to get any relief. I'm rinsing with the baking soda water rinse, Oragel for the few areas that are really sore. No spicy foods, lots of water and was up reading early this morning that xylitol helps with helping the PH levels in our mouths and dry mouth after chemo. Ordered some things on Amazon for next time. This is the worst, don't feel like eating anything. My daughter bought me Biotene Mouth Wash and I used that twice yesterday. I know we are all newbies here but any suggestions ? Anybody else dealing with mouth issues ?

I am also getting ready to do the buzz cut before my 2nd infusion. I am so done with this hair that I know I am going to lose. Let's just get on with it. Strength is the only option to get to the other side !! :-)

Heart Debra1111

• BostonGal
    BostonGal Member Posts: 154
    edited April 2020
    Options

Mouth: I am using a 20 percent aloe rinse that is found in the product "The Healthy Dentist." I started using it before cancer because I have a lot of mouth restorations and need to be careful anyway.

Cancer center recommended salt rinse. Etc I have not done that (no salt in house that I can use.)

I bought also Biotene products to use in the future, along with mouth lozenges and moisterizers, but so far am holding my own. I had tacky mouth and taste alteration a few days ago with general depression but ok now. Water. Water. Water is our friend!

• debra1111
    edited April 2020
    Options

Thanks for the tip Allie .... Just looked on Amazon. Is it the Natural Dentist ? I do see a mouth wash that is 20% Aloe Vera Gel that looks like the product your mentioned. I will order as I did read a lot of good things about Aloe Vera Gel this morning. I am drinking tons of water and hopefully the next infusion I won't have a repeat.

• BostonGal
    edited April 2020
    Options

Debra,

Yes that is the name. Here is a link to it so you can see. I have been able to find it via my local grocery store. It's probably all over the place.

I get the "Peppermint Twist" one that is specifically for bleeding gums! But you can browse around and see if something else might fit but I am not sure of the other formulations (if they have aloe or if they are helpful in chemo mouth...)

https://www.bleedinggums.com/

Allie

PS: the above site also features this link which I just discovered that may be of interest to us:

http://rinseforrelief.com/

• BostonGal
    edited April 2020
    Options

I like this overview of treatment with Adriamycin and Cytoxan (my current "cocktail"). Later, I will be switched to Taxol, straight up!

https://www.lbbc.org/learn/treatments-and-research/chemotherapy/common-chemotherapy-regimens/ac-adriamycin-and

I like it because it is easy to understand and doesn't overwhelm me. Explains some differences, in ways I can understand, between how the two drugs work.

I like to know these details this so I can envision and root for them in the battle to take down the cancer!

I am grateful.

Allie

• wahoomama87
    wahoomama87 Member Posts: 194
    edited April 2020
    Options

Sherri - thanks! I'm Day 16 today (if you count infusion day as Day 1) so I'm expecting it something this week! I have Chemo Round #2 on Friday, so that would be Day 22. My biggest thing this week is dry skin, especially my hands, thighs, and face. I'm the moisturizer queen at the moment!

Debra - I was having some really bad dry mouth and also a sore spot on one side of my lower gum. I was doing the baking soda/saltwater rinse, which helped some, and chewing sugar free gum. My sister sent me some products from a company called Oxyfresh and the difference has been amazing. I'm using the toothpaste, which is REALLY mild, the mouth rinse, and the Dental Gel. The Gel has been a game changer - I rub it on the sore spot before bed and in 3 days it's completely gone. The website is here: https://oxyfresh.com/.

Hope everyone is enjoying the weekend!

Kris

• jelloelloello
    jelloelloello Member Posts: 83
    edited April 2020
    Options

Lise- nice to see your pic! I don't have any advice about how to help your son cope with hair loss (or any other visual changes he'll see on you) because I don't have kids myself.

With my nieces and nephews, who are ages 9-15, we've been joking about my hair loss and sending funny pics of people/animals with ridiculous fake eyebrows or funny hair patterns. If we weren't in quarantine lockdown right now, I'd definitely let my nephews shave my head-- they would love it! But not getting to see them in person, and not getting to go to a hair dresser for a fun, last-chance hair style, is just one of the many bummers of the quarantine. Still trying to keep my humor up... thinking of doing a Joe Exotic (Tiger King) bleached mullet today before the final shave! haha we'll see, i guess

Allie- thanks for sharing that link with the AC info. It really is a great site with clear definitions and overviews!

Happy Saturday to all of you!

• Bon43
    Bon43 Member Posts: 14
    edited April 2020
    Options

hi Ladies

It’s been a bit since I have been on so just catching up with everyone’s posts. Welcome to all the new folks. It may seem overwhelming but this group is fabulous for support and knowledge. Others are going through what you’re going through from all over the world.

Sore mouth - when I got my first treatment they didn’t have ice chips for me so I had some of my own when I got home. Chopped regular ice cubes in my Food chopper. My mouth (on roof of mouth) was almost like it was burnt. I bought sugarless candy and Sucked on those after the nice I used 1/4 Tsp baking soda, 1/8 tsp salt and cup of water every hour. Literally every hour. It was annoying to do but helped. I also brushed with sensodyne toothpaste and did the rinse after every time.

Bowel movements - I feel there is no such thing as TMI in this site as I feel we are all going through the same thing and it feels like a close knit family here so don’t worry about expressing these issues. It was horrible for me. In Canada we have something called lax-a-day. I now know to start this tmrw (my 2nd treatment is Monday) and continue using this once a day to help with this issue. My pharmacist also suggested senokot - this is basically to start working after the fact - it worked wonders for me.

Love seeing everyone’s pics!! My hair is now basically half bald and half the part I shaved 😢. It was super depressing the first day but now I’m getting used to it and just sucking it up.

Much love to everyone. I love reading all the advice - stories - hardships and triumphs!

Hugs

Bonnie

• sugar77
    sugar77 Member Posts: 1,328
    edited April 2020
    Options

Lise - when I went through chemo the first time, my daughter was 9, soon to be 10. A little older than your son but still pretty little. She was in grade 5. She was very freaked out when she heard I was going to lose my hair and immediately asked me to promise not to go around bald or let her friends see me like this. I agreed. I brought her to the wig store and she tried on wigs even before me. She had a lot of fun with it. When the time came that I came home with my head shaved and a wig on, she actually asked if I'd take off the wig so she could see the buzz cut. From there I generally wore little hats around the house when I wasn't in a wig and then she asked if she could see my head bald. I always left it to her and she ended up being curious and fine with everything throughout the process. We then took pictures weekly documenting my hair growing back in, which was kind of fun. Now she's just turned 20 and could care less about my hair and just finished 3rd year of university. I hope this helps some.

• wahoomama87
    edited April 2020
    Options

Update - the hubs and I were sitting and watching TV this evening and I was "checking" my hair and huge chunks came off the top when I tugged! So out came the clippers! Thanks to the article someone posted, we did the #2 (as recommended). Here we are! Much love!

Kris

• BostonGal
    edited April 2020
    Options

I love the picture! Beautiful!

Allie

• debra1111
    edited April 2020
    Options

Beautiful picture Kris ~ the guy by your side says it all !! You Can Do This Heart

Today is Day 12 for me. I am giving my daughter a virtual baby shower this Saturday May 2nd. My next infusion is May 6th. Hoping to keep my hair through the baby shower then off by next infusion. I'm going to be doing the same.

You look great !!

Debra

• sugar77
    sugar77 Member Posts: 1,328
    edited April 2020
    Options

Today is my birthday. And, while I'm rocking the Uncle Fester look at the moment, I'm going to give thanks for every birthday and enjoy the day quarantined at home with my immediate family and dog. That is what life is really all about anyway. My sister sent me Michelle Obama's book as a present so I might dig into it today. Hoping everyone has a great day!

• wahoomama87
    edited April 2020
    Options

Happy, happy birthday, Sherri!! I hope you have a lovely day with your family.

Kris

• LiseC
    edited April 2020
    Options

Happy Birthday Sherry! I hope you have a great day!!

• BostonGal
    edited April 2020
    Options

Warmest Sunday greetings to all and happiest birthday wishes to Sherri!!

Allie

• Bon43
    edited April 2020
    Options

Happy Happy Birthday Sherri!! 🎂

• Hurricaneblair
    Hurricaneblair Member Posts: 39
    edited April 2020
    Options

Jess, Lise, and Kris....so great to see pictures of you! Kris...my day is coming very soon...my son’s 17th birthday is on Wednesday, so I am trying to hold out for that. Haven’t washed my hair since Wednesday and have tried to be very gentle in brushing it in the morning and at night.

Happy, Happy Birthday, Sherri!! Hope you and your family have a great day celebrating!

Erin

• jelloelloello
    jelloelloello Member Posts: 83
    edited April 2020
    Options

Happy birthday, Sherri!!! It’s nice to have something to celebrate!

Kris- great pic! :) I’ll be doing the same thing today or tomorrow

• ipenelope
    ipenelope Member Posts: 233
    edited April 2020
    Options

Kris- you look wonderful with the new do!! Great to see your awesome support with you!!

Sherry- Happy birthday!! I hope your birthday iit's fantastic!!

I hope everyone else is doing good, staying safe and continuing to keep up the fight to kick cancer's ass!!🥊🥊

~Katie💗

• wahoomama87
    edited April 2020
    Options

Erin - it was so weird - I had NO sign of any loss at all, and I've been checking multiple times a day. Last night, it started without warning. It was crazy! Rather than wake up this morning with hair all over everywhere, we just buzzed it. Hope you make it through the birthday!

Kris

• armom4
    armom4 Member Posts: 82
    edited April 2020
    Options

🎊Happy Birthday Sherri!🎊

My name is Kelly if you want to add to roll call.

• sunandsea
    sunandsea Member Posts: 28
    edited April 2020
    Options

Hi ladies!

Sorry I haven't checked in for a while. Chemo is scheduled for this Thursday April 30th (just in the knick of time - love this group and now I'm official). Spent last week reading and buying all the chemo prep stuff. I am fully stocked up...even tried on some headwraps today so it wouldn't be such a big shock when the hair loss finally comes. Plus, my boys and husband got to see me in it - trying to normalize my new look ahead of time.

Jess - your positivity is catching. Love the Hawaiian themed chemo sesh.

Kris - rocking that buzz cut I see. I'm glad you took charge and went for it.

Sherri - Happiest of birthdays to you. I know it's not what you envisioned, but I'm happy to celebrate with you nonetheless. Really appreciated your story about your daughter and hair loss during your first battle vs now. Oh! And enjoy Michelle's book - I was so inspired by it. She's already my fave first lady and her book just made me love her all that much more.

• hog_co-pilot
    hog_co-pilot Member Posts: 36
    edited April 2020
    Options
    Hi! I’m completely new to the this whole message board thing. I hope I’m replying to the right thread. I was just diagnosed with Invasive Ductal Carcinoma (ER+, PR+, HER2+). I’ve had some sentinel nodes removed and am waiting on path results. I start chemo on April 30. My onc thinks I’ll have to do 6 rounds. I’m not going to lie, I’m terrified. I’m 41 and this came out of left field. Looking forward to making some friends so that we can go through this together.
  • Bon43
    edited April 2020
    Options

Hi hog_co-pilot,

I’m so sorry that you have to go through this but you came to the right group. These ladies are fantastic. Everyone is going through it together. I am 43, with two teen boys. I was in shock to say the least when i found out as well - I actually said to the girl when she called me back for another mammogram “oh no I already had mine” she said. Um yes but they are calling you back as they saw something. I was floored!! Anything you need we are here!

• LiseC
    edited April 2020
    Options

Hi hog_co-pilot,

This is very much a shocking and scary time! I also felt like this care out of left field. I am 42 years old and my cancer was found after my first screening mammogram. I couldn't and still can't feel the lump but it has spread to the lymph nodes. It's already stage 3 so I'm glad it was found before I felt the lump and had time to grow.

Welcome to the group. There are a lot of amazing, strong, supportive ladies here. Stay strong!

Lise

• ipenelope
    edited April 2020
    Options

Hog_co-pilot- Sadly welcome to the group. Wow multiple of us are about the same age. I was 42 when initially diagnosed, now 44. The board's here are great and are full of a lot of really good info. Just remember though we are all different and are experiences are all going to be different!! Hang in there!!

I hope everyone is staying safe and keep up the fight to kick cancer's ass!!🥊🥊

~Katie💗

• hog_co-pilot
    hog_co-pilot Member Posts: 36
    edited April 2020
    Options

Thank you guys for the kind words! I think right now the fear of the unknown is what’s getting to me, especially as it relates to the chemo. Obviously, I don’t know how I’ll react to it, but I’ve got it in my mind that I’ll suffer every single side effect. What do you guys do to stay mentally tough?

• ipenelope
    edited April 2020
    Options

Hog- you have every right to be where you are and worry. The biggest thing is try not to let it rule your life. When you research things, which helps, go only to reputable sites like this site, American cancer society site. When you are feeling good try and go for walks. See if there is a breast cancer support group by you or offered through your cancer center. Know everything your going through mentally and emotionally is part of the process and all the people on this board are here to help support you!!

~Katie💗