Fill Out Your Profile to share more about you. Learn more...

Slightly elevated ALT/AST: talk me off the cliff

Options
13»

Comments

• KBeee
    KBeee Member Posts: 695
    Options

I'm totally late to the conversation here, but numbers trending in the right direction sound like a really good thing. I have a good friend who's had major liver issues and transplants, (and he's also a doctor) and anytime I've mentioned concerns about liver numbers, he's said that lab values of normal vary widely and doctors often don't get too concerned unless they continue to trend upwards and/or are sky high...like more than double to triple the norm. And exercise can definitely cause elevation. I remember years ago before he was diagnosed, we were training for an event and he had to stop because his doctors needed to rule that out as a potential cause.

• claireinaz
    claireinaz Member Posts: 679
    Options

Dear all, I thought I'd provide a quick update mostly for others who might search out the same problem as I had/have.

I got a second opinion from a local oncologist (the doc who was overseeing my followup care in May is 3 hours away) this past week. This latest meeting was supposed to be an initial introduction in case I wanted to switch docs to one who was only 3 minutes away :) I have avoided getting tx at the local cancer center due to PTSD from cancer trauma brought on by losing my husband to cancer in 1996, who was tx at the same cancer center, and my own dx/tx trauma. I'm also seeing a therapist who specializes in tx PTSD btw.

Local oncologist said that my labs, even though that one enzyme was .2 elevated, are normal. He said it twice. I asked him if that elevated enzyme indicated cancer, and he said no. Twice. I asked him if the aromasin would elevate an enzyme; he didn't think so, but I've got all my own research that does support some proof that exemestane could have an effect. I'll let it go for now since he told me I can stop taking it in 18 months.

He wants to see me in Jan for a regular check up and labs. I feel comfortable with him but am going to move my follow up appt to November, since that will be 6 mo. from the most recent check up in May.

I also had my annual physical following the second phone call about my labs (June). My PCP is terrific and treats the whole person-she recommended a massage therapist and called her for me to get me an appt. My PCP said not to worry about my slightly elevated enzyme.

I feel pretty brave that I'm willing to even see the local oncologist, but I liked him, am watching diet and alcohol more closely even though Covid craziness continues to trigger my anxiety, and feel like there isn't much else I can do excepttake care of my entire self for now.

• wallycat
    wallycat Member Posts: 1,255
    Options

Good to see you post. I've been thinking about you, wondering how you were doing. Glad to hear things are going well.

• peregrinelady
    peregrinelady Member Posts: 416
    Options
    Thanks for the update, Claire. I understand the PTSD. I had difficulty driving by the hospital where I was with my twin sister when she passed 12 years ago. Recently I was sent there by ambulance for blood pressure/ heart issues and fortunately it did not trigger PTSD as I was in a totally different part of the building and they have remodeled since then. I still do not want to go there ever again if I can help it. I am glad that you got reassurance from both your doctors about your numbers. Also it is nice that you have someone close by to see. My oncologist is now visiting our small town once a month so I do not need to drive an hour and a half anymore. It takes a bit of the stress away and that is what I am all about these days. Take care!