Come join others currently navigating treatment in our weekly Zoom Meetup! Register here: Tuesdays, 1pm ET.
Fill Out Your Profile to share more about you. Learn more...

June 2020 radiation group

Options

Comments

• cm2020
    cm2020 Member Posts: 530
    Options

callmegenie...I had both whole breast and boosts. I am very interested to hear what this appointment is. The only thing I can figure is that it is possibly the same thing mine is but your place does it prior to the boosts for some reason. I can't imagine what it is though. Hopefully someone else here knows and tell us. You are getting so close to being done too. Isn't it a great feeling?!

• callmegenie
    callmegenie Member Posts: 66
    Options

cm2020... I will let you all know what this appointment is about! Yes, it is a great feeling to have only 7 more treatments to go ;) You are much closer than me to being done, good luck with your last three treatments

• toria1212
    toria1212 Member Posts: 71
    Options

Does anyone have a sore underarm area? My integrative oncologist saw me on Friday, looked at it and said it was likely irritated from the deoderant I've used(non aluminum, Tom's prebiotic something or other) and it's quite sore. She recommended antifungal creme and I am trying to simply keep my right arm up so that it 'airs' out. Any suggestions? I am afraid to go into my boost week with this soreness.

Hope everyone had a nice Fourth of July weekend-we have sweltering heat here in Michigan, but a bit of a breeze but weekend days, so we could at least enjoy Saturday evening outdoors. Love and prayers to everyone xx

• cm2020
    Options

toria1212.....I don't have that kind of soreness under my arm, but just beside my underarm it is swollen and so so so sore. I am worried about the level of swelling and pain. Wed. is my last treatment and I will see the nurse so I plan to ask her about it. I saw the RO Thursday and he said all was good, but the swelling and pain has increased since then. I'm using Tom's deod too (no aluminum) and I hate that stuff! It doesn't work and it stinks. I will be happy to go back to my regular deod. when this is over. I hope the anti-fungal cream works. Depending on where your tumor was, the boosts won't be getting that underarm area.

It was nice to have a 3 day break from radiation. Back to it today though! Happy Monday everyone. I hope you are all doing okay.

• callmegenie
    Options

toria1212 and cm2020...

My underarm is sore and I need to put a small pillow underneath while watching TV. Also I have not used deodorant since June 15, lol. Some days I’m stinky but I want to avoid anything that might interfere with RT.

I hope you both feel better soon

• callmegenie
    Options

Exit Exam:

The Exit Exam is a quick appointment with the nurses after your treatment when they take one more look at your skin and give you discharge instructions.

The reason I’m having it tomorrow is because the RO decided not to give me boosts. She said that because I’ve had three surgeries, my breast has changed a lot and there is no way to find the tumor bed, therefore she cannot give me boosts. I’m happy to be done sooner but wonder why she didn’t know this from the very beginning...

Anyway, tomorrow I get to ring that bell, lo

• cm2020
    Options

callmegenie....Thanks for letting us know your underarm hurts too. I am sorry you are in pain but it is reassuring to know that several of us are having this symptom so it is more than likely normal. Today I put on the lumpectomy bra that the hospital put on me. It is tight compression and my breast does feel better in it. I had gotten so uncomfortable that something had to be done and this seems to be the answer for right now. It is rubbing my underarm some and is kind of uncomfortable, but not enough to make me take the bra off.

Congratulations on almost being done with radiation! That appointment is exactly what the nurse described mine would be like Wed. It is odd they wouldn't know this at the beginning but I am happy for you that you are so close to being done.

• toria1212
    Options

I am sitting here on the couch, watching Hallmark Christmas movie, of course! with a tissue in my armpit. Last night I held my arm UP and yes, it became so tired but trying to let air in there...I even positioned the air conditioning vent in the car to hit my pit lol

side note: Our air conditioner died last night. House is 18 years old, so now investing 10K this week into a new AC/furnace installation. I've decided not to cry, as it seems that the devil is chasing me, hard. Last week was a 500 dollar car repair, and well, I could go on, but you all know what this feels like, to go through bc treatment and then life on top of it....

Praying for all of us! Stay cool, my friends

xx

• BCat40
    BCat40 Member Posts: 121
    Options

Add me to the sore armpit club. Generalized low level throbbing pain and tightness. I think it's just inflammation from the treatment. And it's the only area I developed dermatitis, other than the skin peeling off my nipple. I use one of those heart mastectomy pillows under my arm to keep the arm away from the side of my body and allow the area to air out and not touch.

For perspiration I was told to use pure cornstarch to absorb it. You can get it at any grocery store in the baking aisle. Works better than natural deodorant which does not stop sweat.

I am in a general state of ridiculousness right now. Because my nipple is so sensitive from the skin peeling off and I can't tolerate it touching clothes, I had to go get those nipple shields they make for breastfeeding mothers.

https://www.medela.com/breastfeeding/products/breast-care/breast-shells

Then I used a roll of gauze to make myself a "breast sling" to air out the skin under the breast crease. So I'm here with my nipple shells, mastectomy pillow and breast sling while I heal.

I was given triamcinolone ointment for the armpit dermatitis by my dermatologist and it helps. Toria, you might want to see a dermatologist as you more likely have dermatitis rather than a fungal infection.

• cm2020
    Options

BCat40...Your set up sounds awesome. Yes, you described the pain perfectly.....throbbing and tight. My breast is so firm and heavy. I can't even touch my nipple to put cream on it. It makes me wonder if it is going to peel like yours. Getting a mastectomy pillow was a good idea. I wish I had thought of it.

toria1212....I am sorry about the ac and your car repair bill. 2020 is truly the nightmare that keeps on giving, isn't it? Hugs...

2 more days.......just 2 more days. It feels like these last few treatments are just dragging soooooooooooo slowly.

• BCat40
    Options

cm2020, if you don't have a pillow i recommend taking a bath towel, folding it in thirds the long way and then rolling it into a cylinder and then using that under your arm.

i definitely recommend the nipple shields if you can't tolerate anything touching your nipple! I got mine from Buy Buy Baby.

• cm2020
    Options

BCat40...That is a great idea! Thank you very much. If my nipple gets any more sore I will definitely be getting nipple shields. I would have never thought of those....you are brilliant!

• redhead403
    redhead403 Member Posts: 65
    Options

Hi Callmegenie,

Same thing happened to me and the RO told me that they had known from the beginning that I was having 25 no boosts. I casually asked her, if she knew from the beginning, why hadn't she told me. I was Pi$ed.. I didn't care for the radiation oncologist from the beginning. She was not forthcoming and didn't answer my questions directly..

Congratulations on being almost finished!

• callmegenie
    Options

Armpit pain: I apply extra cream there.

Nipple pain: I have it too. It is extremely tender to the touch.

Abdominal pain: Is anybody else having belly aches and bloating? This is really bothering me.

redhead: About the change in plans, I'm happy and pi$ed at the same time. She said she plans the boosts towards the end of the treatment, but she gave me the news today and tomorrow is the last day? Don't get me wrong, I'm happy, but it gives me an uneasy feeling... It's like, did I receive a good treatment?

Thanks everyone, we're all getting there!

• toria1212
    Options

Add me to the ouchy nipple club! Mine has hurt BADLY since surgery, but wow can't really wash it or creme it(I do, but it's awful)

My armpit is peeling and splitting open so now it burns. BCat40-I'm going to roll the towel and use that this evening. It hurts to keep my arm above my head all of the time, although when driving, I reach over to the passenger side and try and let the air conditioning vent hit it. Dear lawd, what have I come to?

cm2020-so happy for you! We were on the same schedule, and I will finish on Monday, God willing. I hope your finish is anticlimatic and recovery swift. I stopped at the bakery and ordered pink donuts, red velvet muffins, cherry donuts, and strawberry muffins for next Monday to take in to the radiation staff. I have gifts for my two techs- soy candles and gift cards.

The heat is killing me. I told my children this is how I grew up(poor-ish and without central air). It's only 3 days but boy oh boy, it's so hot and humide. So uncomfortable and they have not complained.

Hoping everyone does well tomorrow! Love to all xx

• BCat40
    Options

Ugh Toria I am so sorry you have to put up with lack of air conditioning on top of the rads discomfort. So sorry about your armpit skin peeling...mine is just basic dermatitis and it's bad enough. I can't believe the medical profession has not come up with something to protect our skin during rads other than cream.

• BCat40
    Options

callmegenie and redhead, my RO told me she couldn't specifically identify the surgical field anymore either so the boosts I had were practically to my whole breast. It was basically like 4 more treatments except my armpit area was mercifully spared.

• grdngrl505
    grdngrl505 Member Posts: 33
    Options

Finished treatment 22 of 25. Only 3 more to go. Yay! Also feeling soreness in my underarm and tightness on my left side. My PT gave me some stretches to do and has been doing lymph drainage on me. She suggested that I wear my compression sleeve throughout the day. I've been wearing it for a couple of hours a day. Started having trouble swallowing. Will ask the RO about it when I see him tomorrow.

BCat40, thanks for the suggestion about the mastectomy pillow. Mine has two semi-circular cutouts for under my arms.

toria1212, I've had 7 radiation therapists so I'm not sure what to get them as thank you gift. My last day is Friday so I better come up with something soon. I was thinking maybe gift cards and baked goods, but my favorite bakery doesn't open until 8:30 and my appt is at 8.

• callmegenie
    Options

I rang the bell today! Yay! It may sound silly, but that bell is what kept me going because it was a tangible goal. So early in the treatment I took a photo of it and made it my incentive!

So if they have a bell at your hospital, picture yourself ringing it!

I’m exhausted today, so hopefully I can sleep well tonight, something I have not been able to do in a long time.

Good luck to all

• cm2020
    Options

callmegenie...Congratulations! WOOHOOO!!!! I am so happy for you. I wish my place had a bell, but it doesn't.

toria1212.....You are SO close to being done. I am really sorry about the heat and hope you can get the ac fixed soon. My arm pit is starting to look like it is going to peel. I put extra cream on it last night in hope it will help. The nipple pain caught me off guard but ouch! You are sweet to take in treats to the techs. They will appreciate it.

grdngrl505... You are also SO close to finishing! I have been making sure I stretch daily. If I am even late on stretching I can feel the difference and am tight. I have had at least 5 different techs too.

Do all of you take gifts/treats on the last day? Today is my last day and I don't plan on taking anything. I just plan on thanking them profusely (which I do every day as well).

I am so excited about today being my last day that I couldn't sleep last night. I kept waking up and counting down the hours until I am done. Needless to say I feel really rough this morning. But today is it! I am glad I meet with the nurse afterwards because there are several hard areas in my breast and under my arm. I'm sure it is normal but it is concerning me.

• ajminn3
    ajminn3 Member Posts: 284
    Options

I’m about halfway done with my rads. Today is round 17 of 33. My skin is starting to get red and irritated and fatigue has set in. I’m lucky to have made it so far before side effects really kicked in. The fatigue is probably a combination of catching up from a weekend of family camping as well as a crabby teething 18 month old at home. I’m also just tired of going everyday...I’m fortunate to live close to the clinic, but I’m over the daily interruption of going. I know he could be worse, but today I’m throwing myself a little pity party.

I’ve debated bringing something for my treatment team, but it’s hard to know what exactly

• callmegenie
    Options

cm2020... You made it! Congratulations!!! :)

About gifts, I didn’t bring anything. I read the posts after I was done! I had no idea as I’ve always heard that doctors, etc are not allowed to accept gifts. It’s very thoughtful of you ladies, though.

I didn’t sleep much but I don’t have to make that trip today! I’ll catch up on the laundry, cleaning, etc. but will take it easy today and continue babying my breast for a month like I was instructed.

Hope everyone has a good day

• vidal1993
    vidal1993 Member Posts: 60
    Options

Hello Everyone:

My wife will start radiation treatment later this month for her breast cancer and thyroid cancer.

What will it be like for her? What will the treatment itself be like, and how will she feel afterward? Luckily we will have my family to help.

I thank in advance anyone who can share their experience(s) with radiation generally, and how I might help her as a husband.

To date, she has undergone a lumpectomy and full axillary dissection, as well as a round of chemotherapy. She is ER/PR positive, Her-2 Negative.

• callmegenie
    Options

Hi Vidal, I’m sorry your wife is going through this. Radiation treatment experience is different for everyone, that is what I have been told. Most women receiving RT for breast cancer feel tired and get some degree of burn to the treated breast. She has to apply a cream that the hospital will recommend everyday. She will be given instructions on what to do and what not to do (or use). Also the duration of the treatment is different for every person. Tell her to take it one day at a time (and you too!). Best of luck

• Pjsfaith
    Pjsfaith Member Posts: 1
    Options

Hello to all...prayers for everyone!

I am getting my tat tomorrow in preparation for RT. I was SO fortunate to have caught my breast cancer early, therefore required only a lumpectomy in combo with Tamoxifen and RT. I have NOT been tolerating the Tamox very well though desperately trying to return to work. I understand the RT has a cumulative effect if, in fact, side effects are experienced at all. Can anyone offer advice/opinions on how long to wait into RT before deciding about work. I am a nurse practitioner required to wear full face mask, eye shield, business professional dress and work 10 hour shifts seven days in a row. My sweats alone have kept me from doing this so far but looking to "guess" how the RT will play into all this. Any suggestions?

• vidal1993
    vidal1993 Member Posts: 60
    Options

Thank you for your reply. Much appreciated.

• callmegenie
    Options

Pjsfaith... Since the side effects are different for every patient, how about waiting until you're done with RT to decide when to go back? Some women work during treatment, some women don't, so if you have the choice, I would say wait. Even the RO told me that there is no way to predict how somebody's skin will react or how much fatigue they will get. Some people get fatigue early on in the treatment, some at the very end, some never (or very little). Tamoxifen can contribute to tiredness also, so really, it's impossible to predict (my RO's words, not mine). Best of luck to you! And take it one day at a time :)

• callmegenie
    Options

vidal1993, you are most welcome.

• toria1212
    Options

@cm2020 and @callmegenie-(((hugs))) and HUGE congrats at being finished. Woot woot! I hope you both use the next days/weeks to fully heal from the gawdawfulness of it all. I have been praying daily for both of you xx

@grdngrl505 Do you finish treatment next Monday? We can celebrate together!!! (I will have only had 20 total though)

@vidal1993 Welcome and warm, healing (((hugs))) to your precious wife. I am certain she appreciates your support more than you know! Everyone is so different, depending on length of treatment, etc. And her RO(radiology oncologist) will see her weekly and determine if changes need to be made(different cremes, etc). I had fatigue sometimes, sometimes not at all. Some days I came home and wanted to lay the rest of the day. LOTS of water, to stay hydrated.

@Pjsfaith, welcome and like others said, I'd wait until treatment completed to determine how you are feeling about returning to work. Often said that post-treatment is tougher as effects are cumulative. I will be praying for you!

@ajminn3 God bless you, having a toddler at home! Try and rest when you can. I have had mostly good days, but some felt completely wiped out and laid low the rest of the day(as much as I could with three kids in the house-but BIG kids) You're halfway there. Sending (((hugs)) and prayers

I have THREE to go-am so grateful. But.....I make it a practice to close my eyes TIGHT as they are moving the table/bed/whatever it's called back towards the machine. They had to take films and they came back in after a few minutes. My eyes are still shut tight until they say "Done" and pull the table forward. But...she started talking to me, and I peeked just a little as the room was bright and lit. I barely saw but the machine was directly over my face(a foot above, or a little more, I don't know) I just know that I panicked for a quick second...my armpit is sore but have washcloth tucked up in there while I am sitting here sweating to death. New AC tomorrow!

I hope everyone has a good rest of the day. (((hugs))) everyone xx

• callmegenie
    Options

toria1212... Thank you so much for your prayers and for the hugs! Will you be done this Friday? Or Monday? Prayers and hugs to you, glad you are getting the A/C fixed! Yay! I always closed my eyes too but the last few days I was less nervous and I peaked and I saw this green line of light kind of marking my body. Hang in there, you're almost done :)