Come join others currently navigating treatment in our weekly Zoom Meetup! Register here: Tuesdays, 1pm ET.
Fill Out Your Profile to share more about you. Learn more...

June 2020 radiation group

Options

Comments

• toria1212
    toria1212 Member Posts: 71
    Options

@callmegenie, Lol, you're MUCH braver than me. I am, however, fascinated at how succinct they are in getting that radiation to the appropriate places. I am afraid of machines(at stores and restaurants, I won't use the restroom stall with the fan above it haha) I have other quirks too but I'm still pretty cool lol.

It's raining right over my house so there's a temporary cooling. Wish it would last! Tomorrow can't come soon enough....

• cm2020
    cm2020 Member Posts: 530
    Options

I am done! I met with the nurse afterwards for instructions on care now that I am done. She warned me that both my skin and fatigue might continue to get worse before they start getting better. She also gave me a pretty laminated certificate congratulating me on finishing radiation from the medical center cancer hospital and the radiation oncology team. It's funny I kind of feel set adrift like you do the last day of school and you kind of wonder..."hhmm....what do I do now?" It is so nice to be done though. I see my RO again in a couple of weeks for follow up. My skin is definitely getting worse but fatigue seems stable for right now.

So many of you have posted (and i have no brain space left to think) that I am not going to address all of you for fear I miss someone. But welcome to our new members...and I am so sorry you are part of this club that no one wants to be a member of. Read through both this thread and the other ones in the radiation section for what to expect and how things could go. Plus the site itself has a helpful section on radiation.

Most of us are almost done or at least half way through. It is a long slog but we are doing it! For those starting out, we are cheering you on and here for support and encouragement.

You guys have really made this easier than it would have been alone.........thank you.

• grdngrl505
    grdngrl505 Member Posts: 33
    Options

cm2020 and callmegenie…, congratulations on being done! So happy for the both of you! Yay and woohoo! It must be such a relief.

Pjsfaith, I worked the entire time during radiation and I was fatigued for most of it and didn't start getting my energy back until the last week. I work for a health plan so my manager and the team I'm on are understanding if I need to take a break during the day. Towards the last two weeks I couldn't wear a bra or even a bralette so I'm not sure how it would be for you if you have to dress business professional. I'm working from home due to COVID so I can wear casual clothes. One of my coworkers said that she didn't feel fatigue from radiation, but that's a rarity from what I hear. My appointments were at 8:00 am so I could go to treatment and then go home to start my work day.

toria1212, I'll be done on Friday. So happy you're getting A/C tomorrow. It's been a hot week.

cm2020, thanks for starting this topic. It helped me so much during my treatment to read about what everyone was experiencing and to be able to share.

Hugs to all!

• callmegenie
    callmegenie Member Posts: 66
    Options

toria... I’m afraid of many things, lol. Don’t know how I managed to do radiation, I guess God was holding my hand...

cm2020... Congratulations! And you got a laminated certificate, cool! I also want to thank you for creating this group. You guys are great company!

grdngrl... Thank you! It was a great relief not going to the hospital today. But I still have the same restrictions/rules: Apply the cream, no deodorant, no hot shower, etc. For a month... My skin is redder today. One day at a time has been my mantra.

Take care everyone, xo

• toria1212
    Options

I was thinking last night how I hope "our group' can carry on with personal updates, thoughts, suggestions and sharing of info? It is very helpful to be with others with similar(ish) timelines for treatment, etc. The overflowing support and kindness makes me feel as if I know each one of you personally.

I have two to go. @grdngrl505, you beat me by one! Hope your last is uneventful.

My armpit is dark and so sore. I am hoping when AC is on, I will begin to feel like myself again. I have been afraid to go walking for fear my armpit would become too inflamed if I sweat xtra from these high temps and humidity. Will resume my treadmill next week.

I'm super sleepy, but attribute that to poor night's sleep without AC. I had another bout of diarrhea but didn't dare tell anyone as I just want to be DONE.

(((hugs))) to everyone and thank you @cm2020 for getting us all together!

• callmegenie
    Options

toria1212... I agree that we should visit this group at least for one more month, as after we are done we may have worsening of the symptoms or new symptoms :( We need to support each other and share experiences in case it is helpful for others. Hugs. You're almost done :)

• cm2020
    Options

This group has been a lifeline over the course of radiation. I'm glad that you guys got as much out of it as I did. I agree that I would love for us to keep going for at least another month or so. The nurse made it clear that the side effects could get worse before they get better and touching base with each will be so helpful.

For me, the fatigue hit full strength today. I have slept much of the day and still feel so very tired. However It was wonderful to shower without worry about washing off marks or stickers! Plus I used the real deodorant that actually smells good and works (same with my body oil!). My skin is darker and a bit more irritated. My poor breast just hurts so much.

toria1212...I don't blame you one bit for keeping quiet about the diarrhea. You are so close to being done! I hope the ac is now installed and keeping you cool. You have been a trooper to deal with that and radiation. Personally I believe that the diarrhea is radiation related......it is so disruptive and affects far more than just the area being treated (in my personal opinion).

callmegenie....I'm with you....one day at a time. If I think much further out I just want to either cry or sleep so best to stick to today only.

grdngrl505....One more day now!!!! Isn't it exciting!

• callmegenie
    Options

cm2020... The same thing happened to me... The day after my last treatment, I was so exhausted... I could hardly move! I wonder if it's because the emotional part hits you after you have made the effort to go through radiation!

Last night I looked at my breast and I started crying. I'm mourning/grieving (not sure what the difference is) my breast. Sigh... It looks so deformed :(

I'm still having belly aches. The RO says they're not related to radiation but the PCP thinks they are because they started after 3 treatments... They are not severe but still... Anybody else with abdominal issues?

toria1212... I know you have diarrhea and I think I read somewhere that that can be a side effect. Give it some time. I hope it will be gone soon!

So happy not having to go to RT anymore. I woke up today and I forgot that I didn't have to go and then after a few minutes I remembered... Oh, what a nice feeling that was :)

• mac5
    mac5 Member Posts: 85
    Options

cm2020...

There’s a bell to ring at the Radiation Treatment room. But I’m not certain I want to ring it. It’s supposed to be an ending of sorts, but my Treatment isn’t ending...just changing

• cm2020
    Options

callmegenie...That is interesting that the overwhelming fatigue hit you the next day too. It has to be an emotional response as well as physical. I am so sorry about your breast and how you feel looking at it. Did they tell you about massaging it with oil once your skin heals? The nurse told me that doing that will help smooth things out and make it softer and more like the other one. Mine definitely looks different too. Lumpy, hard in places, divots where the tumors were removed. It is kind of a hot mess. But for now it doesn't bother me. I think in part that is because I still really want a bilateral mastectomy and hope that I can get one next year. So I have kind of removed myself from my breasts, if that makes sense. But I will definitely do what the RO nurse told me once my skin heals. If they didn't give you instructions on the massage, let me know, and I will pass on how I was told to do it. Was your fatigue any better today? Oh, I did have some general upset stomach/food revulsion about mid-way through radiation. I just didn't have an appetite for a while and food that I normally liked turned my stomach. I completely blame radiation.

mac5....While you are going on to other treatment, radiation is completed, so ring that bell loud and proud! This is one treatment that is completed and that deserves to be celebrated.

• callmegenie
    Options

mac5... I’m sorry you have to go through so much, but please, ring that bell. It’s a milestone for you and it is your right to ring it. One day at a time, one treatment at a time! Hugs!

cm2020... The nurse didn’t teach me anything about applying oil or massaging. Please tell me about it. The fatigue was so much better today, thank God, but the tummy aches are still there, as well as the bloating. I do think it’s the radiation and/or the stress associated with it. As for you,don’t think about mastectomy for now. They gave you a lumpectomy for a reason. Enjoy being done with radiation!

Today I was an emotional hot mess. It’s like the fears of the cancer and the pandemic hit me.

Hoping tomorrow will be a good day for all of us. xo

• toria1212
    Options

mac5-all of this stirs up so many feelings, doesn't it? I have decided to have a guilt-free weekend before my last treatment on Monday. I have been modifying my diet a LOT and my 14 year old daughter just made us yummy crepes. Pre-celebrating!

I have one more on Monday, but my lower right back is very achy. Of course, I am worried about kidney stones(I've never had) and have decided to treat myself however I like this weekend-the AC out was exhausting and although I kept up with chores and house is clean, I was overwhelmed by the discomfort my kids and I felt for 4 days.

Storms here have refreshed the drout like conditions and it's humide, but not so dang hot.

I am looking forward to Monday. I do wish that I had a day that I didn't think about BC sooooo much. Hopefully, over time, I will be able to mentally move on with my life, and BC is a by-product, NOT the main character!

Love and happy weekend to all xx

• cyathea
    cyathea Member Posts: 330
    Options

Hi everyone, I’m so glad most of you are finished or very near finishing rads.

I’m one week out from my last treatment. With the help of caffeine, the fatigue has been pretty manageable this week. I did need a nap yesterday, but that was the only day this week. The fatigue was worse due to a Herceptin infusion in the morning.

The wounds are healing. The open wound from my skin being pulled off by the tape had an awful smell. I’ve never had that before. I’m glad that is gone now and healing nicely. I’m not sure what helped it heal the most as I used a silver gel, Bacitracin and the Nature’s Gold honey ointment at various times in the day.

My skin is still very red and sore. Camwell cream has helped. I’m very light skinned. I don’t tan, so the redness is no surprise. My nipple is peeling, but I don’t think the graft will be affected.

I wish everyone a good and restful weekend

• grdngrl505
    Options

mac5, I hope you do what's best for you in terms of ringing the bell. Based on your diagnosis, your treatment journey is much more complex than mine. Please reach out if you need encouragement or support. I'm keeping you in my thoughts.

To all,

Yay and woohoo! I finished my radiation treatment today. I was greeted by COVID screener this morning that it's my last day. I was touched that she knew. I brought in Krispy Kremes, a thank you card for all the therapists and some small gifts for the three that I worked with the most the last few weeks to show my appreciation. One of the therapists gave me a hug before I left and few said I hope we don't see you back here. They gave me a certificate of completion that all of them signed and the COVID screener signed it as I was leaving.

I had an exit interview with the nurse and she said to keep doing what I'm doing in terms of moisturizing. She gave some mepilex if the skin under my breast and underarm start to breakdown. I hoping it won't because she said the mepilex would take some of the skin off when I removed the dressing. Eek! She also said no antioxidant vitamins the next two weeks so I can't start taking emergen-c yet.

I feel fortunate that my RO was so compassionate. He answered all of my questions and would do research if he didn't know.

Thank you all for your support. It means so much to me!

• cm2020
    Options

callmegenie...I am typing out exactly what is written on my discharge paper about breast massage. "After skin is healed, massage the radiated area for 10min daily with massage or baby oil, applying gentle pressure to areas that are firmer to break up scar tissue and promote circulation and drainage. This will also help the breast or chest feel softer. You will do this for 2 months or longer". She also showed me how to massage from the nipple out and up to help with drainage.

• callmegenie
    Options

cm2020... Thank you for the breast massage instructions. I'll try to remember "from the nipple out and up" :)

grdngirl505... Congratulations on finishing radiation! Yay!!! I had read something about antioxidants so I have not taken vitamin C in about a month. Did they say why? My team never said anything about antioxidants.

cyathea... I'm glad your skin and wounds are healing. How scary it must have been when you smelled that smell!

toria1212... How exciting that you're finishing radiation on Monday! Hopefully they fixed your A/C!

As for me, I've been tired and my breast and nipple have gotten darker. I still have the belly aches and random back aches. I'm hoping they will subside soon.

Have a restful weekend, everyone!

• redhead403
    redhead403 Member Posts: 65
    Options

pjsfaith, I worked right through radiation. RN work in pre op pacu, Do you work for a provider? in the ER?

• cm2020
    Options

pjsfaith.....You do what is best for you with work. It doesn't matter if others couldn't work, did work, or cut back. Listen to your body and don't push it. If you are able to take a leave of absence, then I would encourage you to keep that in mind. I am an RN (not practicing right now) and can't fathom being able to pull the 12+ hour shifts while undergoing radiation. It wouldn't have been fair to me or to my critically ill patients (i worked in a peds critical care unit...don't want to get more specific than that). In addition to the physically demanding aspect of it, the mental load would be difficult. So do NOT feel like you have to prove anything or push yourself.

toria1212...You are done tomorrow! Yay!!!

It has been a quiet weekend. My fatigue is okay and pain is improving. I have been very down though. Just "blah" and having trouble working up any kind of energy or desire to do anything. How are all of you doing?

• cm2020
    Options

redhead403....I am in awe at your ability to keep working through radiation given that you are an RN! I'm glad that you were able to feel good enough to though.

• grdngrl505
    Options

callmegenie…The RO and onco nurse said not to have antioxidants because it can interfere with the radiation working. He said I could take a multi-vitamin. See below.

https://www.breastcancer.org/treatment/radiation/types/ext...

cyathea, glad your skin is healing. My RO said that the week after is the worst in terms of skin damage. Have been off of caffeine for about 8 months, but had a diet coke this week so I could get through the work day.

• redhead403
    redhead403 Member Posts: 65
    Options

Callmegenie, I would have gone nuts if I hadn't worked. I was tired, but the short days helped.

• callmegenie
    Options

grdngrl505... Thanks for the link about antioxidants. OMG they didn’t tell me to stop vitamin D during treatment

redhead403... That's great that you were able to work through RT.

cm2020... I have been down too and I'm really sensitive these days. Plus I'm anxious about the pandemic again. My skin is getting darker. I get fatigue off and on

• toria1212
    Options

grdngrl505-Woohoo! Big (((hugs))) and congratulations for your completion! I hope the next couple of weeks are healing for you.

My armpit is feeling a teeny bit better, but I am afraid to exercise(sweat) or do much as when it hurts, it hurts a LOT. I really only cream up twice a day, but I do sit topless for awhile. My breast is definitely pink but no blisters or anything. It's my armpit that is so dark and damaged looking. My nipple still hurts like a mutha', even when the shower water hits it-OUCH.

I have little gift bags for my two techs, picking up the bakery treats on the way in, and I have four little bags for the women also receiving radiation around the same time as me-one gal disappeared last week(she wasn't finished but said she was having trouble with her skin splitting open) and a new gal came, but there are two I have seen consistently, so I got them a little something. My two daughters, 32 and 14, have big plans for me tomorrow night. Sweethearts.

I hope everyone had a restful weekend and has a healthy week. I have slept in both days this weekend, and am soo glad. I crash every afternoon and if I get a 15 minute siesta, I am good.

Thanks for the massage tip, cm2020. I will begin that...

Love to everyone xx

• CarolS-60532
    CarolS-60532 Member Posts: 14
    Options

Hello everyone

I just joined this website yesterday as a breast cancer patient, currently going through radiation. Today will be treatment 23 of 33. Your many comments about your radiation experiences are so helpful. Yes, I am getting redder breast and armpit symptoms as each day goes by, and slather myself with Aveeno and Aquaphor multiple times each day. No one told me about stopping anti oxidants and I have continued to take them. Will stop now. I did stop my tamoxifen treatment as the hot flashes were totally awful and debilitating. I am 69 years old and know about real menopause from years ago, but this was side effect intensity is awful. I am not a medical novice and underwent uterine cancer with chemo etc in 2014, so to complain about the these medically induced hot flashes mean they are BAD!

I also have had intestinal or stomach twinges. Sharp stabs then receding slowly. Just a few over the last few days. Never considered it to be part of this treatment but it sure may be.

I will share with you all that I found a great bra which is a mastectomy bra that is very comfortable and is sort of like a sports bra and zips in the front. It is from the manufacturer Luisa-Luisa. I can wear it in comfort. Made of cotton like fabric so it is good with all the creams and ointments. OK support and mild ocmpression so this is a winner brand for me.

Anyway thanks for letting me share and I so appreciate your advice.

Carol

• BCat40
    BCat40 Member Posts: 121
    Options

Carol, welcome to the group and thanks for the bra recommendation.

Has anyone managed to find a bra with very low cut armpits? That's what I really need right now to avoid the fabric touching where my armpit skin is healing. I finally noticed that skin turning a corner for the better today...2 weeks out from final treatment and 3 weeks out from regular treatments (before boosts which did not hit my armpit area). But I had to take a small binder clip and roll back/secure the edge of my bra away from my armpit still. I have become an expert in jerry-rigging things around my breast problems. And yes I still have to wear my nipple shield!

• cm2020
    Options

CarolS-60532...Welcome! The hot flashes are brutal aren't they?! I am so sick and tired of waking up drenched in my own sweat in the middle of the night. It is disgusting. My RO had me stop Letrozole during radiation and for 2 weeks afterwards. But the hot flashes have continued. Several of us have had some intestinal issues (mine was just food aversion for a while) and I am convinced it is radiation related but not sure an RO would agree.

BCat40..I have just been wearing a regular sports bra. Could you just cut the underarm out some to make it more comfortable? Get a cheap one that you don't mind cutting up. Your ingenuity is amazing! I'm glad your skin is improving. Mine is stable but getting super itchy in areas. It is getting darker in areas, esp under my arm.

• callmegenie
    Options

Hi everyone, I've been laying low because the first few days after completion of RT were a little difficult, physically and mentally, but I'm starting to feel better :)

toria1212... Congratulations on being done! Woohoo! So happy for you!

CarolS6053... Welcome to the group! I started having stomach problems (belly aches) since day 3 of RT and they are just starting to subside (I'm on day 7 post RT). I hope yours get better but I had mine for almost four weeks... I am totally convinced that they were related to radiation.

BCat40... I've been looking for a bra with low-cut armpits as well. The bra I've been wearing is the one recommended by the hospital for radiation patients. They recommend it because it's 100% cotton and has front hooks. The brand is Fruit of the Loom and they are $9.99. You have to get 3 sizes bigger because it runs small and it shrinks. Here's the link: https://www.walmart.com/ip/Fruit-of-the-Loom-Women...

cm2020... I took Tamoxifen ten years ago and it gave me hot flashes. It also gave me charlie horses. Supposedly when those medications give you hot flashes it means that they are working.

Wishing everyone a good day!

• wahoomama87
    wahoomama87 Member Posts: 194
    Options

Ladies -

Just found this group. I'm looking at starting radiation in September some time. The RO is saying daily doses for 3 to 4 weeks. Is that a normal course? What can I expect? I'm really nervous about doing it. I had one positive lymph node from the beginning - surgery will be in August. I'm finishing up TCHP right now. One more round to go on the 24th. Thanks.

Kris

• cm2020
    Options

wahoomama87...Welcome! That radiation course sounds right and what many of us have had. Mine was daily for 4 weeks (total of 20 treatments). As for what to expect, read through this thread and the other threads in the radiation section. We all describe in a lot of detail what we go through and it will give you a good idea of what to expect and how things go. I was nervous too....I think most of us were. Good luck to you as you finish up chemo and have surgery.

• grdngrl505
    Options

toria1212, congrats on being done with your treatment. Hope you had lots of fun celebrating with your daughters! Woohoo!!!

CarolS-6053 and wahoomama87…, welcome!

wahoomama87…, these are a couple of links that I found helpful on this site that helped me understand radiation better. Hope they help!

Radiation Tx for Newbies

https://community.breastcancer.org/forum/70/topics...

Radiation Prep Items

https://community.breastcancer.org/forum/70/topics...

callmegenie…, glad you're starting to feel better. I've been struggling the last couple of days, too. Feel so itchy. Can't wear a bra. Tried to buy men's tank tops, but they are slim fit now and I just want something loose that doesn't touch my skin too much.

For everyone who is done with radiation treatment, hope your healing is progressing.