Come join others currently navigating treatment in our weekly Zoom Meetup! Register here: Tuesdays, 1pm ET.
Fill Out Your Profile to share more about you. Learn more...

June 2020 Surgery Group

Options

Comments

• LaVue
    LaVue Member Posts: 69
    edited June 2020
    Options

Good luck ๐Ÿ‘ .

• Marmotka
    Marmotka Member Posts: 19
    edited June 2020
    Options

Thanks for your input on pain meds and recovery. Hope everyone will do fine.

Best of luck with the surgery tomorrow!

• morrigan2575
    morrigan2575 Member Posts: 798
    edited June 2020
    Options

I went today to pick up my Thyroid Medication (old issue, not Chemo related) and the pharmacy gave me 3 prescriptions....whaaaattt?

Turns out the Surgeons already submitted my pills for tomorrow. They gave me Oxy for the pain and Antibiotics.

• Tiffin68
    Tiffin68 Member Posts: 14
    edited June 2020
    Options

So glad to hear that everyone is doing so well after surgery.

Prayers to all the ones having surgery today and Monday! Please keep us posted. Having all of you to definitely makes a big difference!!! Thank you for all the great posts!

• PainterLady
    PainterLady Member Posts: 4
    edited June 2020
    Options

morrigan 2575, I am thinking about you this morning as I am sure you are probably still in surgery. I am praying for your best possible outcome. I picked up my post op prescriptions yesterday and the only one that bothers me is the box of 10 syringes prefilled with anti clotting meds. Not sure I can inject myself as I am a weenie when it comes to needles. But my daughter, about to start her clinical year at vet school said she would do it as she has lots of experience giving shots to dogs and cats! I want to thank all of you who have shared your suggestions for things to make recovery more comfortable. My wedge pillow is being delivered today and I have been doing essential cleaning which I hope to finish today. I think I am as ready as I reasonably can be. Scared to death, but reading all the posts of y'all who are on the other side of this surgery has been reassuring. Thank you all for that! I think nana 2-8 and I are up for Monday.

• morrigan2575
    edited June 2020
    Options

I just checked in for surgery. It's so weird, you can't bring people with you, so the waiting room is empty.

I had my radioactive injection for sentinel node biopsy his morning. I'm not nervous (yet) I'm more just let's get this over with, I really want to drink some water and hopefully eat something. ๐Ÿ˜

I'm doing same day surgery. I don't know if I'll be up to posting later today but, I'll try tomorrow to let you know how it went

PainterLady - I had to do that for my mother after her Knee Replacement surgery. Not sure I could do it for myself but, it's easy enough to inject someone else ๐Ÿ˜ƒ

Good Luck!

• morrigan2575
    edited June 2020
    Options

Believe it or not. I am up and posting from the surgical center...I might be addicted to my phone ๐Ÿ˜. I'm waiting for my ride to pick me up.

The couldn't save the right nipple so ended up taking both off. I was prepared for that so I'm OK with it.

I have a nerve block and they sent me home with percocet but I also have a prescription for Oxy. I'll go with the percocet since that's on the discharge papers.

My right side hurts more than the left but it's not too bad, more sore than pain. The bra they have me in is very tight, feels like a vice but, that's OK, helps to keep the swelling down.

I'll let you know how tomorrow goes.

• PainterLady
    edited June 2020
    Options

morrigan 2575 wow! In and out in the same day. That is fast. And it's great that you feel well enough to be posting. Very encouraging for me. They are supposed to try to save my nipples too, but I know there is a chance it won't go that way. Sorry it didn't work for you. Hope your pain subsides and you are able to rest over the weekend. I had a wide excisional biopsy for what my 2nd biopsy said was papilloma. They took out about a golf ball size of tissue. That's when they found the DSIS, but margins were too close. Came home in one of those binders. It was tight, but it kept things from shifting around and causing pain. My plastic surgeon told me he would like me in one for 8 weeks. I know they are uncomfortable, especially to sleep in, but they do a job. Hope you get as comfortable as possible with it.

Hope tomorrow is good.

Lynda

• LaVue
    edited June 2020
    Options

Morrigan! Great news ๐Ÿ‘

• nana2-8
    nana2-8 Member Posts: 29
    edited June 2020
    Options

Oh my goodness.....you guys have been really busy while I've been buzzing around doing all the seemingly necessary things prior to Monday's surgery! So good to hear all the remarkable recoveries. You all give this ole Nana hope! I, too, can conquer this (I hope!). I am of the mind: I've been scheduled and delayed enough times that I can't wait to get this show on the road....and over with. My DH is able to accompany me to the hospital and wait for me.....(he'll bring work with him and be glued to his phone on business). Covid test in the morning, isolate....tie up loose ends and then......DDAY!!! Thanks for keeping us all in the loop...those of you who have paved the road before us.

PainterLady.....I'd like to promise you that I will be thinking of you on Monday.....but I might be distracted! So I am wishing you well now. Let's see which one of us posts first once this is behind us!!

• LaVue
    edited June 2020
    Options

Stool softener. Don't forget the stool softener. Constipation is REAL. Hahaha. The less you eat, the worse it gets. So eat even when you don't feel like.

• LaVue
    edited June 2020
    Options

I only had to wear the vice six days. Now I can wear a tight t-shirt or camisole. Hope it is the same for you.

• morrigan2575
    edited June 2020
    Options

So far I'm still a little sore but, nothing more. but haven't taken any Tylenol or Pain Meds, the nerve block is doing its job. We'll see how long it lasts. Hopefully by the time it wears off I'll only need Tylenol.

I'm sleeping in bed, using a wedge pillow, it's rough since I'm a side sleeper and my body just doesn't like sleeping on my back. Hopefully I'll adjust shortly or it'll be a long month.

My friend sent my mastectomy pillows when I was first diagnosed. They're little V-Shaped pillows that go under the arms. I'm using them when watching TV or playing ony phone. Keeps the pressure/weight off the chest which I think helps.

• emily12
    emily12 Member Posts: 21
    edited June 2020
    Options

Hello Ladies. I am glad everyone is doing well. Good luck to the remaining June surgeries. Some update on me. I had my DMX on June 11th. I have been sleeping in a recliner since. Great help since I am a side sleeper. It is strange how different PS have different preferences. Mine let me take off the surgical wrap/ bra the day after the surgery. That thing was tight!!!

I had my drains out on Friday-8 days after the surgery and I must say that I donโ€™t miss them ๐Ÿ˜€

I have been doing a lot of stretching and stared some lower body workouts.

I had my first shower after the drains were out.

I find it difficult to find light clothes that donโ€™t show my breasts. It is too hot to wear layers, canโ€™t wear bra yet because it irritates my incisions, but a tank top or light t-shirt shows my โ€œbreastsโ€ or I should say the expanders under the skin and the swelling so it doesnโ€™t look like I have natural shape. Any ideas?

• PainterLady
    edited June 2020
    Options

Emily 12, so happy for you that you got the drains out at 8 days. Everyone says that you are so much more comfortable after they come out. I know that first shower felt great! And I think it is great that you are feeling well enough to start some exercise. I too have found it really interesting to see all the differences in the directions from the plastic surgeons. I am no help with the wardrobe issues, hopefully somebody else will chime in.

• LaVue
    edited June 2020
    Options

Emily, it's great to hear you're doing so well!

I am actually caved in so I have the opposite problem you do. I bought soft cotton bras that are three times my size. I only clasp one hook in the front.

I do feel a bit of discomfort but I still have the drains and I expect when the drains are removed all will be okay.

https://www.amazon.com/Fruit-Loom-Womens-Builtup-Sports/dp/B08961DL29

• emily12
    emily12 Member Posts: 21
    edited June 2020
    Options

LaVue ,

I bought 2 no wire bras today bigger size so I hope that would solve the issue for now. I am seeing my PS this week so I hope to get some fill and fix a bit the weird look of my chest

PainterLady, the drains are PITA. Once they are out things are much much better. I have taken on somelong distance walks 5-6 miles a day. Trying to keep the weight off. I used to be so active and now a lot of stuff is not allowed yet

• abigailj
    abigailj Member Posts: 101
    edited June 2020
    Options

I'm having a BMX with immediate DIEP flap tomorrow, still having a very hard time dealing with it was diagnosed February, invasive ductal in one but invasive lobular in the other, originally thought I could have lumpectomies if that was my choice but then the MRI showed the lobular was larger than originally shown...so when all was said and done, I decided to go for an BMX. The surgeon says my odds are good they can preserve skin/nipples and that there is no reason to suspect it has spread to lymph nodes...but how can they know that until pathology is done on them???

Aside from always having been comfortable and happy with my curvy body, I'm 62 years old, I've never had surgery, I haven't even spent a night in a hospital (although family members have spent many), no one in my family or even a close friend has ever had breast cancer, so I've been researching like crazy, reading everything from experiences of other women to scientific papers I know 'm blessed that I have a supportive husband (although he's not in the best of health) and sister (who has stage IV lung cancer which is thankfully being kept under control these past 2 years), the ontological surgeon and plastic surgeon only do breast work (part of a large breast cancer practice a major NYC hospital and I know others on these forums are going through so much worse that I feel like a very shallow person for even writing this but...I'm so scared and dreading having to go through this and the long recovery process. But I decided on DIEP because my understanding is that it's pretty much the only way I have hopes of regaining some reasonable sensation in the reconstructed breasts and I haven't worn a bikini in close to 20 years so couldn't care less about the scar. My immediate concerns are the pathology of the sentinel lymph nodes (I have to go to nuclear medicine today so they can inject isotopes to locate those...yay...) since that will determine if it's chemo or not, and the survival of my skin (I fear necrosis because I am former smoker and only stopped cold turkey from using the nicotine/vape products I had been taking as soon as I was diagnosed in February).

I'm sorry for my rambling and for what I know will seem shallow in light of what others are going through. Bless you all.

• morrigan2575
    edited June 2020
    Options

Home from first office visit. They took the vice/bandage off and I'm in a sports bra, it's so much more comfortable. ๐Ÿ˜

My Dr doesn't let us shower until the drains come out, so I'll be on sponge baths for another few days. ๐Ÿ˜Œ

My nerve block should wear off today so we'll see how it goes but, I've been feeling pretty good so far. I'm hoping I can just go straight to Tylenol.

I don't know about anyone else but, I decided not to look down ๐Ÿ˜ƒ

• RebeccaA
    RebeccaA Member Posts: 11
    edited June 2020
    Options

Dear Abigailj,

There is nothing to feel shallow about! I think we all have some of the same concerns and fears when getting ready for surgery. I am scheduled for mastectomy of the left breast on Wednesday. The right side was removed when I had breast cancer in 2013. I decided to not do a BMX then and, unfortunately, ended up with a new cancer on the left. So, I'll be starting over again and won't know until after surgery whether additional treatment will be needed. I pray not. Last time, I had chemo, radiation, and six months of Herceptin. I've been on Tamoxifen but have still developed another estrogen positive cancer. Go figure. My doctor says it is unusual but not unheard of for that to happen. It is possible that the Tamoxifen may have at least slowed the growth of this new cancer ( and I hope prevented it from getting to the lymph nodes). Anyway, good luck to you and everyone else having surgery and recovering this month!

Rebecca

• LaVue
    edited June 2020
    Options

Abigailj- my surgeon was also convinced my lymph nodes would be fine. I asked her why she was so certain and she said it was because the biopsy had a good size sample. And it didn't appear that the cancer spread beyond the milk duct. So perhaps it is something similar in your case. Where the doctor can tell if the cancer likely would have spread. But of course you're right. Nothing is certain until the pathology.

Morgan - when my plastic surgeon removed two drains he put waterproof tape so I could shower. Hopefully tomorrow the additional two drains will be removed.

I also haven't looked down. My parents have. My mom says I am a bit caved in and have little mosquito bites like a 12 year old girl who is starting to grow breasts. Understandably, my father doesn't comment. Hahaha

Rebecca - sorry to hear about the new diagnosis. Hoping all will go well on Wednesday.

Emily -it's great that you're doing so well. I can walk but have trouble bending down. I can't wait to be up and active like you are. Right now I can only go for walks. But if I inch up to three miles or so my TEs start to hurt. Maybe I'm walking too fast not sure.

Are you following any YouTube stretching videos? Let me know if you can recommend one. I'm one of those runners that never stretches so I don't know where to begin.

Everyone - I just returned from the surgeon's office. I am cancer-free. I do not need radiation, chemo, or hormone therapy. I feel very relieved.

• morrigan2575
    edited June 2020
    Options

Congrats LaVue!

• abigailj
    abigailj Member Posts: 101
    edited June 2020
    Options

RebeccaA thanks for your kind words and pray that you can avoid further treatment after the MX on the left. LaVue, thank you sharing your experience and the fantastic news you got today!

I went for the sentinel lymph node isotope injections today - no pain to speak of from that and blessedly compassionate doctor (shehad same surgery I am having, BMX with DIEP less than a year ago, amazing, young enough to be my daughter at 40, who talked to me about her experience). I will write to the forum again once I'm able to after the BMX tomorrow - it's 11 hours of surgery but they say I'll be home probably Thursday afternoon if there are no complications. In the meanwhile, I wish you all the very best possible outcomes and thanks again for giving me a helping hand.

• morrigan2575
    edited June 2020
    Options

good luck abigailj!

• Marmotka
    Marmotka Member Posts: 19
    edited June 2020
    Options

Hi ladies, I just back home a couple of hours ago from my UMX of the left breast with immediate prepectoral implant reconstruction (even though I'll have radiation). I got a nerve block on the left only therefore my right side, where they did a balancing lift, hurts more. I also had a few lymph nodes removed as I had a 2cm tumor in one before chemo....glad though I escaped the full node dissection.

So far so good, I can walk and move around and it's not that bad. I'm on Tylenol and also got hydromorphone. They made me take one when I woke up from surgery and it really puts you out of it! Emotionally, I'm better than I had thought, or maybe it's the drugs...

Prompt recovery to my fellow warriors out of surgery and those prepping for theirs this week. You got this! Sending good vibes.

• LaVue
    edited June 2020
    Options

Thanks thanks Morgan and Abigail.

Good luck tomorrow Abigail. I'll be thinking of you.

• Marmotka, the pain eases everyday so you're on the right track.

• morrigan2575
    edited June 2020
    Options

Day 3 and the nerve block wore off (or should have). I really don't feel any pain. In fact getting out of that vice/bandage is such a relief. I occasionally have a twing on my sides which seems to be related to the drains.

Good news is I'm down to 45 ml/cc in a 24 hour period. I'm hoping I can get down to 30 by Friday and get these drains out.

I was told that I'd get my first fill on my next check up (not the post op one on Friday). However, I don't know when that next visit happens.

• LaVue
    edited June 2020
    Options

Morrigan I just got back from the plastic surgeon. I was at 45 ml. the plastic surgeon decided to remove the drains because it has been two weeks since the surgery and he didn't want to irritate the skin. He said any additional fluid he can drain when he fills the expanders next week. So don't fret if the number doesn't reduce. Your plastic surgeon may remove the the drains anyway.

• morrigan2575
    edited June 2020
    Options

I was reading and there's a trade off between the drains (removing fluid) and causing an infection. They don't like to leave drains in too long because they can get infected (if people aren't being careful).

• LaVue
    edited June 2020
    Options

My left arm pit is swollen. Surgeon says it's post op swelling. I feel a distinct difference btwn my left and right side. In pain and range of motion. I fear filling my TEs is going to be a nightmare. (In terms of pain on the left side). I go for my first fill next week (50cc). At that time I'll ask the plastic surgeon if I can go for post op swelling massages to bring down the swelling. I hope he says yes.

ETA: Is anyone returning to work soon? I'm thinking of returning on Monday. But I can take more time off if I want.