Come join others currently navigating treatment in our weekly Zoom Meetup! Register here: Tuesdays, 1pm ET.
Fill Out Your Profile to share more about you. Learn more...

June 2020 Surgery Group

Options

Comments

• morrigan2575
    morrigan2575 Member Posts: 798
    edited July 2020
    Options

2 week post op with BS went well. He's handed me off to the PS, I won't see my BS again until I need my port removed.

Everything is going well. They gave me a booklet with exercises but, I can't start until my PS signs off. I got for my first fill a week from today. I'll let your guys know how it goes.

All things considered everything is going well. I started working on Monday because I was feeling so well, didn't see the point in taking 2 weeks off when I could save the PTO for my exchange surgery (if needed).

• abigailj
    abigailj Member Posts: 101
    edited July 2020
    Options

Hi Morrigan - Glad to hear your BS visit went well and must say I’m really impressed with your strength in recovery, going back to work so soon. I can barely read my work emails let alone do anything more with them than flag big deal ones for colleagues to deal with.
    I had last visit with BS today (her PA actually) who examined me via video and all is healing properly thankfully. Next for me is the first recon revision next Wednesday. Hope you and everyone else on this thread have a relaxing holiday weekend!

• LaVue
    LaVue Member Posts: 69
    edited July 2020
    Options

Morrigan, it's terrific that you are feeling so well. I will return to work on Monday.

I got my first fill today. 50 cc's. So far so good. I don't feel any pain and I don't feel a lot of pressure on my chest. Let's see how I feel tomorrow. I felt a bit of a sting when the plastic surgeon injected numbing solution into my muscle. But it was bearable. Sort of like when they withdraw blood but they put the needle in wrong. It's uncomfortable but okay.

I set another appointment for next week for another fill. I told the plastic surgeon that I may reschedule for the following week depending on how I feel from this week's fill.

• LaVue
    edited July 2020
    Options

Well that didn't last long. Hahaha I woke up a quarter to 6 this morning with pain or rather feeling pressure on my chest. It's uncomfortable. Tylenol has not reduced the pain. The doctor says this feeling should go away within 1 to 2 days. Crossing fingers that is the case.

• emily12
    emily12 Member Posts: 21
    edited July 2020
    Options

Hello Ladies,

I have been MIA for a week obsessing over DCIS reoccurrence with close margins. What can I say I am that person who has to obsessively research anything and everything.

So here is my update: after my PS removed my drains on the 8th day of the surgery I still have not had any fill. Originally he put 200 mls during the surgery and won’t fill the TE until 7/7, which is almost a month after.

I have been adjusting ok to the TE. My PS saw me on the 2nd week post surgery and sign my “permission slip” to go work out. He seems to be pretty relaxed about exercising. I saw a PT once and she provided some guidance on what I should and shouldn’t do.

The gyms in my state opened as of last week and I have been going religiously every day. I started some upper body exercises this week mostly bicep and tricep, I am doing my stretches but I noticed that I have developed some cording in the armpit where I had the SLNB ( sigh ). I still have some hardening and slight swelling where the SLN were removed. Not sure if that ever goes away.

Now on the implants. My PS prefers to put them under the pectoral muscles. However I am very active and I am concerned with the deformity and animation. He said if I really hate it he would switch to over the muscle when we do the exchange.

My latest concern however is that the pathology report came with clean but very close margins (1mm) to the chest wall and an implant over the muscle will make it difficult to see an chest wall reoccurrence.

I had DCIS and I am going to see a RO to figure out if I need any additional treatment. My BS insists that I don’t but I am considering the close margins and will be seeing the RO in 2 weeks.

I am glad you all are doing well and recovering from the surgeries. This has been a trying summer and I am thankful for this group and the support we get here.

• LaVue
    edited July 2020
    Options

It's great to hear from you, Emily. It's a good idea that you are getting a second opinion from a RO I would do the same in your situation.

it's also fantastic that you are able to participate in strength training already. All I'm allowed to do is finger walks on the wall.

--

Today I am feeling much better. The TEs are not as annoying today. Based on how I'm feeling I am going to go for my second fill next week. Think I'll ask him to try 75 cc's to see how I handle it. I know he wants to try 100 cc's but that seems like too much.

So no worries ladies. Getting the fills is actually not as bad as I've read. And to be frank I am a little delicate flower when it comes to pain. So if I find the situation more than bearable I am sure you all will farewell.

• Ekojio
    Ekojio Member Posts: 20
    edited July 2020
    Options

Hello Maggie007

I'm having a double mastectomy with immediate diep reconstruction hopefully this month. BS is calling PS on Monday to get it going since both know I want this surgery asap. Just wondering if you still had anything you were giving away for free? I could really appreciate it. Thank you.

• emily12
    emily12 Member Posts: 21
    edited July 2020
    Options

LaVue,

I noticed that I get tighter around my chest and I feel my TE more if I skip workouts. I also feel my arm getting heavy and tired if I don’t move and workout. It is so strange how different doctors have different rules for patients undergoing similar surgeries. I am going my first fill this weekend. My PS only puts 50ml at a time. So we shall see I hope not too bad.

• Vandysue
    Vandysue Member Posts: 1
    edited July 2020
    Options

Hello, I had surgery on the 26th. Mastectomy with SLND. I didn’t go for the reconstruction. My recovery has actually been really good. I was given a nerve block prior and highly recommend asking if your hospital practices this procedure. I’m not sure of my treatment yet. Should find out next week. Cut my hair into a bob. Figured I would try to bring back the bob to replace the boob. It was really helpful having it shorter for sure. I also thought, if I have to go through chemo it might be less traumatic if my hair begins to fall out. If anyone has any questions on my experience please feel free to reach out. Stay positive and choose humor.

• Crazycookie19
    Crazycookie19 Member Posts: 1
    edited July 2020
    Options

I had my lumpectomy on the 10th in Laconia NH. My nerve pain in my arm is starting to fade finally. Cannot wait to not need a pillow to keep my arm above my heart as my hand swells on & off. Miss being able to wear my engagement ring & wedding band. How are you holding up?

• abigailj
    abigailj Member Posts: 101
    edited July 2020
    Options

Hi Vandysue - glad your recovery time has been quick and will be keeping my fingers crossed the pathology on your sentinel lymph nodes comes back clean too and chemo can be avoided I have a televisit with my MO Monday afternoon and will learn what she’s recommending for me and will consider that carefully as I am sure you will do as well after meeting with yours

Hi Crazycookie - I had a BMX with immediate DIEP recon on the 23rd and will be having my first revision procedure this coming Wednesday so haven’t tried putting my wedding ring back on - definitely sill some fluid retention in my hands as well as elsewhere. Pain manageable with Tylenol at this point at least. I don’t have nerve pain but do have muscle soreness at sentinel lymph node removal sites and of course abdominal tightness. I’ve been following a low sodium diet and keeping hydrated (my beverage of choice these days is cool, weak ginger or other herb tea) both ofwhich my PS and others say helps the fluid retention resolve.

• morrigan2575
    edited July 2020
    Options

sleeping on my back sucks. I hate it 😃

2 more weeks, 2 more weeks

• LaVue
    edited July 2020
    Options

Emily, you are so right about every plastic surgeon having their own guidelines. I have been walking and took a page from Morrigan. I am also doing leg exercises.

Truth be told, even if I received the go-ahead 2 strength train, I am not sure I'm able to. My range of motion in my left arm is not as great as my right arm.

Vandysue, my normal haircut is a bob. Hahaha I'm sure it looks adorable on you.

Crazycookie, my legs are swollen from the surgery. Also my armpit. Totally sucks. Hope you can wear your wedding band soon.

Morrigan, I am still sleeping on the recliner. I just can't wait to get back into my own bed and sleep on my side.

• morrigan2575
    edited July 2020
    Options

I'm sleeping in my bed with the wedge pillow but, I'm not happy about it 🤣.

Anyone (possibly only those with TEs) get a weird feeling in your boob when you lean forward or bend over slightly? I also get it if I make certain arm motions (pumping soap from a dispenser). It feels like something is moving or popping about. It's not painful so I don't think I'm pulling anything it's just an odd feeling.

• kmom57
    kmom57 Member Posts: 153
    edited July 2020
    Options

Morrigan, I don’t have TEs but yes I get that feeling on one side. Most noticeable when I pump hand soap. It’s like I can feel the pec muscle moving under the skin of my chest. It’s not painful but disconcerting.

• morrigan2575
    edited July 2020
    Options

OK cool, so it's normal. That's all I need to know 😀

Thanks!

• kmom57
    kmom57 Member Posts: 153
    edited July 2020
    Options
    I haven’t asked my BS about it yet, so don’t know what it is. My suspicion is it’s nerve related or range of motion related as it’s on the side where I had the ALND and where I’m still having a lot of tightness and limited shoulder movement. The other side is pretty normal, functionally, and I don’t have the weird pec movement/ popping there. I had a lot of random muscle spasms on the ALND side, which are getting better so maybe the weird popping will too.
  • morrigan2575
    edited July 2020
    Options

OK I have a weird one. Anyone else with TE or Saline Implants feel cold (in the chest/boob area) when drinking something cold?

• morrigan2575
    edited July 2020
    Options

Just got back from my first fill. I felt a little pinch (like a blood draw) in my left boob, I didn't feel anything I'm my right (cancer side) boob.

He was only going to do 60cc in each but, ended up doing 120cc in each boob. I wanted to watch them inflate but, couldn't see anything with the stupid mask. Next time I'm recording the balloons filling up. 😁

As of right now I don't feel sore but, I will let you know if that changes.

I wanted to take pictures of each step, I have pre-surgery and now first fill but, I forgot to take a picture of post surgery boobs. So, I'm missing a step.

I pointed out that my right/cancer side had a flap over the incision (extra skin) he looked and said there was extra skin under the boob as well. He said that he would fix/tighten the skin up during the exchange surgery 🤞🏻

So far I'm fine with how they look but, I can see that the right boob is slightly smaller. Hopefully when we get to the end (it is a work in progress) they'll look the same.

• LaVue
    edited July 2020
    Options

I don't have sensitivity in my TEs or chest. I have heard other women do. on a side note, I was afraid I wouldn't have sensation on my chest. I'm glad to report that I do feel my chest.

I received my second fill yesterday. 50 cc's. That is the route I'm going to take. Every week 50 CC's as long as I can tolerate it. If I keep on schedule then I can have my exchange surgery sometime in October.

I am still sleeping on my recliner. Although I also have a wedge pillow, I feel a lot of pressure in my chest when I lay down.

Everyday I'm feeling better. So that's the bright side.

• morrigan2575
    edited July 2020
    Options

laVue - after your fill where did you feel sore? Today I have a little pain/soreness on my right breast (underneath).

I can't tell if its because of the fill (more weight) or because I had my bra off yesterday while I washed them all and, jumped off the couch to run to the kitchen because my grilled cheese was burning.

It's not constant just when I move a certain way

• LaVue
    edited July 2020
    Options

After my first fill I felt a lot of pressure on my chest just like I did with the mastectomy. Although the chest pressure was not as intense. I did not take any Tylenol after my first fill.

This time however I did take ibuprofen to avoid feeling any pressure.

I know everyone is different and plastic surgeons provide different guidelines. But I haven't worn a bra since the mastectomy even though I did buy a few thinking the plastic surgeon would recommend that I do so. He said all I had to put on was a t-shirt or camisole so that's what I've been doing. Before the cancer diagnosis the last time I wore bra, besides a sports bra for running, was when I was 13 years old. I am 47 now. So I am used to being without a bra. I was a double a before hence the no bra thing. I had nothing that needed support!

• morrigan2575
    edited July 2020
    Options

im always amazed how different doctors have different rules.

I have feeling/sensation in my breasts too more my left than right but, I'll take anything. I can also feel those little zings meaning the nerves are trying to grow.

ETA: I took the bra off and I feel better. There's marks around my sides from the bra. I guess it got too tight.

• DiveCat
    DiveCat Member Posts: 290
    edited July 2020
    Options

Emily12:

I am popping in from July group but I saw your post and just wanted to respond as I have sub-pectoral implants and am very active. Back in 2014 with my original surgery (I did direct to implant though) pre-pectoral was not common and sub-pectoral was often recommended for less rippling, less risk of capsular contracture, more warmth, and for easier ability to manually check for changes in tissue (as the implant pushed it out to front rather than had it under). The latter was a big thing for me at time as I also was trying to get away from continuing intense screening. I know they have improved many things but that was how it was recommended at time.

So anyway, I have kept them sub-pec even with a couple exchanges. I am very active and while the first few months after initial surgery I noticed the animation and tightness, the muscles did relax and the tightness went away and the animation issue is rare enough that I don’t even notice. Since 2014 I have continued to do yoga, lift weights, do all sorts of aerobics/cardio, run, HIIT, etc. I did get fat grafting last week to soften a couple divots and ripple areas but as I am quite thin I know the ripples would have been worse if they were over the muscle. I had pretty dense breasts so the BMX left me with rather thin skin as there was not much fat to leave behind I guess!

I do take comfort in knowing my implants are under not just the muscle but also under any remnants of breast tissue that may have escaped the BS (though he was aggressive) as well so perhaps any changes (if any) can be recognized quickly.

My sister is a similar frame to me and did get pre-pectoral in December 2019 as that does seem to be more popular preference now but she does have more issues with rippling and they are colder as she does not have the muscle over them (despite Alloderm). I found my 410s tended to run colder but my original smooth rounds and my new ones (Inspira SSM 485g) both are warmer. My sister is happy though as she lifts very heavy and was concerned about limitations; her PS plans to put in larger implants and so far grafting to address her ripping. So there is no wrong or right, just what’s best for your body and your concerns as well.

After my original surgery my PS had more limitations for me (though he allowed me to start doing long walks within a couple days) but every one since his guidelines have just been “if it hurts, don’t do it”. Ha. I find walking and moving have helped me tremendously after each surgery even if I am incredibly slow initially

• DiveCat
    edited July 2020
    Options

sleeping on my back sucks. I hate it 😃

2 more weeks, 2 more weeks

Before my surgery in 2014 I was a lifelong stomach-only sleeper. Slept in recliner initially then on back in bed and it was hard at first. However, funnily enough after 6 weeks of that I turned into a dedicated back sleeper and have never gone back. At home I use a body pillow (one of those pregnancy noodles, as I saw them recommended) and still sleep somewhat reclined with pillows.

On the plus side, sleeping on back is better for your facial skin - does not add pressure or lead to tugging so better for preventing wrinkles. Winking

• LaVue
    edited July 2020
    Options

Divecat, thank you for your informative post on implants. May I ask why you had several surgeries within 6 years? Is it normal for us to go through more than one surgery.

There's a YouTuber named Jen rosenbaum who is going for her third surgery in what seems like 4 years.

I find this trend quite upsetting. Are there any tips you can provide for us so when we speak to the plastic surgeon that will make our transition a little more seamless.

• DiveCat
    edited July 2020
    Options

LaVue:

Revisions are not uncommon, though are dependent on the surgery/reconstruction (if any), whether you have complications, and your desired cosmetic results as well.

My first surgery in 2014 was my prophylactic BMX with immediate reconstruction (implants with Alloderm). A year later in 2015 I chose to go in for surgery again as I was not happy with the implants I had as I had quite a bit of rippling, particularly on the exterior sides and at time fat grafting was not best option for me. I am thinner and my breast surgeon was aggressive in removing tissue leaving my skin quite thin so the rippling bothered me. I was quite happy with those results for 4 1/2 years but I opted to go back for an exchange in November 2019 as I had the recalled implants (Allergan 410s) and I was not comfortable leaving them in my body as my original surgery was prophylactic and even if risk was rare, I was not happy with seeing the connection. My husband, my doctor, and my plastic surgeon were all very supportive of me doing that exchange. For me, the pros of removing them outweighed the risks of another surgery, but that is a personal decision for every one, that depends on many factors as other women have opted to keep them as they are happy with them and for them risks of removal outweigh risks of keeping them. My most recent surgery (last Thursday) was for fat grafting to address some of the rippling and divots that I have with the new implants.

Each of my surgeries subsequent to my first was entirely by my choice, keep in mind, for both cosmetics and because of having the Allergan 410s that I wanted to replace. I did not have complications after any requiring more surgery and have recovered well and very smoothly from each of my surgeries, which has factored into my own decision to have surgery again. I am three days post-op from the fat grafting and feel very good today for example - did a nice long walk today and am going back to work - office job - tomorrow for at least part of the day (did some work from home today even, though only a few emails etc).

Some women get one surgery and are done, some do two (initial then a revision) and are done, some women end up with complications like necrosis and go through several. There is no way to necessarily predict but you can't really rule out never needing another surgery. If you go flat, the need of subsequent surgery is lessened however I do know some who went flat who had to go in to remove painful scar tissue, had to go back in for margins, etc. So again, no guarantee. My sister had her prophylactic BMX in November 2019 as well and was supposed to be direct to implant but the PS could not put in the implants right away as a result of her tissues at time so she had to go back in three weeks later, to get her implants, and will be going back in a couple months again for larger implants (now that her tissues are better healed) and fat grafting. At time they could not predict they could not put implants in right away and she would need at least one extra surgery, but it is always of course a risk.

I think with your plastic surgeon you just need to discuss with them what their experience is, be honest with your desired results, and know what their preferences are. For example, my PS does not like to do fat grafting at same time as an exchange, and wants to space out by at least 3-5 months, so that necessitates two surgeries if you want fat grafting. Other PS in practice will do fat grafting at the same time as an exchange. Sometimes you just have no way of knowing - until your body heals, swelling goes down, your body has had time - if you are going to be happy with the results or not. Some women are okay with different levels of cosmetic results than others, as well. My reconstructed breasts are never going to be "perfect" of course (my natural ones weren't either!) but there were things I could accept and other things I was not happy to just live with. It's very personal.

I will have to see how the fat grafting takes but I am hoping it is a long time before I need any more surgery, if ever (realistically, I am 40 so it is likely at some point I may need to replace my implants again, but I am hoping that won't be for 15-20 years down the road...I did not expect to replace my 410s within 5 years of getting them but then things changed *for me* based on the links to BIA-ACL).

• morrigan2575
    edited July 2020
    Options

@DiveCat - thank for the tip, I will ask my surgeon about Fat grafting at times of exchange. I didn't realize that was an option

I figured we'd have to see the results before determining next step

• DiveCat
    edited July 2020
    Options

No problem. Like I said, some PS like to wait. Both my PS and my sister’s PS prefer to wait to not only for healing from exchange but for swelling go down to see where they may need to target, but as they have seen better results with waiting. Meaning they have seen better fat retention if they postpone fat grafting until a few months after exchange.

But some PS I know are willing to do at same time. Mine would have if I really wanted to but I was more concerned with better retention than avoiding another surgery. My fat grafting surgery and recovery has been relatively smooth so far. I walked a few miles this morning and am going back to work today (4 days post op).

• LaVue
    edited July 2020
    Options

Thanks again, Divecat. Your posts were informative.

I went for my third expansion today I'm at 250 ccs. More than halfway finished.