Fill Out Your Profile to share more about you. Learn more...

I say YES. YOU say NO....Numero Tre! Enjoy!

Comments

• illinoislady
    illinoislady Member Posts: 38,258
  • illinoislady
  • illinoislady
  • illinoislady

Inquiring minds wish to know.

• illinoislady
  • illinoislady
  • illinoislady
  • illinoislady
    edited August 19

BREAKING: Donald Trump suffers a major blow as a prominent conservative scholar rips into him for being a threat to democracy — and endorses Kamala Harris for president.

This is sending shockwaves through the Republican Party...

"In the presidential election of 2024 there is only one political party and one candidate for the presidency that can claim the mantle of defender and protector of America’s Democracy, the Constitution, and the Rule of Law," wrote retired federal appeals court Judge J. Michael Luttig in a statement.

"As a result, I will unhesitatingly vote for the Democratic Party’s candidate for the Presidency of the United States, Vice President of the United States, Kamala Harris," he added.

Luttig is a highly respected figure on the right who was appointed by George H.W. Bush. It will be the first time he has ever voted for a Democrat. If Trump is scaring off devoted conservatives like this, his campaign is really in dire straits.

"In voting for Vice President Harris, I assume that her public policy views are vastly different from my own but I am indifferent in this election as to her policy views on any issues other than America’s Democracy, the Constitution, and the Rule of Law, as I believe all Americans should be," wrote Luttig.

He slammed Trump for waging a "war on America’s Democracy.”

"Because of the former president’s continued, knowingly false claims that he won the 2020 election, millions of Americans no longer have faith and confidence in our national elections, and many never will again," he explained. "Many Americans – especially young Americans, tragically – have even begun to question whether constitutional democracy is the best form of self-government for America."

"The time for America’s choosing has come," he went on. "It is time for all Americans to stand and affirm whether they believe in American Democracy, the Constitution, and the Rule of Law, and want for America the same – or whether they do not."

Judge Luttig is absolutely right. This election is bigger than political parties, bigger than left and right. Donald Trump is a convicted felon and blatant fascist. If he wins, American democracy will not survive.

• illinoislady
    edited August 19

BREAKING: Donald Trump gets crushing election news as influential climate advocacy groups devote a staggering $55 million to ad campaigns to help elect Vice President Kamala Harris to the White House.

And it gets even better...

The laser-focused ads will run in the crucial battleground states of Arizona, Georgia, Michigan, Nevada, Pennsylvania, Wisconsin with additional spots in Nebraska's 2nd Congressional District (since the state splits electoral votes).

They'll be paid for by the League of Conservation Voters Victory Fund, Environmental Defense Fund Action Votes, and Climate Power Action in tandem with the Future Forward PAC.

One of the spots explains to voters that a "defining goal" of Harris' presidency will be building up the middle class. Another contrasts her advocacy for average Americans with Trump's refusal to stand up to big banks and oil companies.

Another ad informs voters that Harris will "triple America’s clean energy production" which will in turn saves consumers a great deal of money on electric bills.

If you care about the future of this country, Kamala Harris is the only choice. Donald Trump dismisses climate change as a hoax even as our sea levels rise and cataclysmic weather events plague the globe.

We need leadership that lives in the real world, leadership that is willing to confront this existential threat.

We need Kamala Harris for president.

• illinoislady
    edited August 19
  • illinoislady

Sad how many votes this FG will get and those who do it won't even know this is what he plans to do to them.

• illinoislady
  • illinoislady

All the entries were so good today. Especially enjoyed the views about ethnic communities/enclaves. These are things you grow up with and you learned to accept it and not think about it all that much. Then again, in some ways they really were/could be almost perfect.

As to the convention. I'm so glad it is here and I'm really expecting it to be rather remarkable. They wheeled out Jesse Jackson a little while ago and I was so touched. It was a surprise to me, but I was very fond of Rev. Jackson. I'm glad he is still with us and did participate at this very important time.

While I will worry since there are things that could prove injurious to some degree, I'm yet at least now satisfied that Harris and Walz are confounding FG and the Reps. and that should continue for some time. For one thing — they don't back down. They are taking it on and dishing most of the idiocy right straight to the garbage chute (better known as right where it came from) and walking away with a high five and chuckle. They are supposed to cower and fix the boo-boo. What do you know — they keep refusing to take it. Good for them. If you are not defensive it can't stay with you — so they throw it back over the fence. Gone most of the day and or busy, but I'm thrilled so far with what I've gotten to see.

• miriandra
    miriandra Member Posts: 2,164

Absolutely agree! Our part of Denver is very ethnically diverse with lots of immigrants from all over the world. We have some of the best restaurants in the city because of that. Lots of well-established Korean and Mexican shops, with new North African places opening up more recently.

But for those who see enclaves as festering boils of crime, it's a situation of their own creation. They gave immigrants few options beyond making their own self-contained communities. When the customs of those communities conflict with American culture or laws, right-wingers complain about those conflicts - and they are the very ones who made it more likely for those conflicts to occur.

• ruthbru
    ruthbru Member Posts: 47,504

I am enjoying the positive vibs and the unity at the Democratic Convention. Biden is giving a very gracious speech, so the Republicans can quit talking about a 'coop'.

• divinemrsm
    divinemrsm Member Posts: 6,573

I watched some of the DNC last night; caught most of Hilary’s speech. Gosh, she’s amazing. All the speeches I saw were inspiring. I especially liked Senator Warnock’s speech as he quoted the Bible and as a Baptist preacher, the man knows his stuff. The real deal. Very moving. I also caught Jill and Ashely’s terrific speeches, and part of President Biden’s. By the time he came on, it was pretty late here so I fell asleep. I loved seeing and hearing the crowd hold up we love Joe signs and chanting it, too. How can anyone not see all that he’s done for the U.S.A.!!!

This is the first time dh watched a convention. I think he was impressed. He hate hate hates TFG so so much. He fell asleep earlier than I, but we’ll watch more these next three nights. Dh said he’s looking forward to Buttigeg’s speech.

• divinemrsm
  • divinemrsm
  • betrayal
    betrayal Member Posts: 2,609
  • betrayal
  • betrayal
  • betrayal