Fill Out Your Profile to share more about you. Learn more...

Wine?

Options
2»

Comments

• beesy_the_other_one
    beesy_the_other_one Member Posts: 170
    edited August 2020
    Options

MinusTwo, the vitamin is Methylfolate (not folic acid), 800 micrograms per day (no more), according to Kristi Funk, M.D.

• melissadallas
    melissadallas Member Posts: 929
    edited August 2020
    Options

And any vitamin like metylfolate is available all over. It certainly is available elsewhere (and cheaper) than through Pink Lotus.

• beesie.is.out-of-office
    beesie.is.out-of-office Member Posts: 1,435
    edited August 2020
    Options

While not consistent across all studies, numerous studies have found that folic acid supplementation (not specific to metylfolate) reduces breast cancer risk.

I recall reading the following on Dr. Susan Love's breast cancer back when I was diagnosed in 2005, and I just checked and find that it's still there:

• "Take a multivitamin and make sure it includes adequate folic acid."
    • "Drink alcohol in moderation and make sure you take folic acid when you do drink."

https://drsusanloveresearch.org/risk-prevention/

A caution however is that while too little folic acid can be concerning, too much folic acid can problematic. I don't know if that applies to metylfolate as well.

• beesy_the_other_one
    beesy_the_other_one Member Posts: 170
    edited August 2020
    Options

Yes, Beesie, Funk is clear about the "more not being better" part, at the top of the third page I attached above--no more than 800 micrograms a day. On the bottom of the second page, she recommends going "straight to the active form your DNA needs, methylfolate (not folic acid)."

One of the most interesting parts of the pages I attached is in the middle of the second page (95), where she says: "In the Iowa Women's Health Study, over 34,000 women were followed for thirteen years. An increase in breast cancer correlated to low-folate/high-alcohol intake, and interestingly, the cancers were primarily estrogen receptor-negative tumors, so folate deficiency seems more important than the estrogen increase when it comes to alcohol."

• Susiemommy
    Susiemommy Member Posts: 46
    edited August 2020
    Options

Traveltext, Oh how I miss my wine! So, are you currently in treatment and able to drink it? I've just finished 4 rounds of AC, and everytime I even have a little sip my head POUNDS like thunder the next day. I've even tried de-alcoholized wines (which are all rubbish).

• traveltext
    traveltext Member Posts: 1,051
    edited August 2020
    Options

Sorry about that SM. I’m six years post treatment. Yep, remember chemo playing up with tastebuds, and so went off wine for a few months. Good luck with the rest of your treatment. Better times are ahead.

• MarieBernice6234
    MarieBernice6234 Member Posts: 125
    edited August 2020
    Options

Hi -

I don't have a response to this topic, but a question. I am taking Anaestrazole and had a recent estrogen level done which was 55.That is quite a bit higher than thre last one that was done three years ago. I like white wine. Could that be the only thing that is raising my estrogen level? I am definitely post menopausal and have had clean mammograms for the past 5 years. I am not due for another one until Dec, Jan or February of 2021. Currently, on a drug holiday until I see my medical oncologist in September.

MarieBernice6234

• norcals
    norcals Member Posts: 206
    edited September 2020
    Options

Cindimay77,

I hope you’re doing well and that your appointment with Dr. Funk went well. We’re having a serious heat wave in CA, so hope you’re staying cool. Let us know if your appointment with Dr. Funk was useful.

Have a great weekend

• Cindimay77
    Cindimay77 Member Posts: 8
    edited September 2020
    Options

Hello NorCalS and everyone else on this post. My Dr. Appointment with Dr. Funk was SO GOOD! But I got some bad news :(

I was Stage 1A with a negative Sentinal node and was healing all since January 2 this year was my diagnosis, 3-3 was my surgery - finished rads 5-1, but I kept feeling this lump on my breast - I had my surgeon, my radiation oncologist, and my oncologist feel it at my check ups, and they reassured me it was just scar tissue - but I had this horrible feeling about it. Dr. Funk did a thorough breast exam and I pointed it out to her, and she as an ultrasound machine right there - and she found it - and it is a lymph node that does not look good. She said I need to get it out ASAP and that I should be okay - so this thursday I have ANOTHER biopsy on it with my other team of docs - I am very sad and this time thinking how could they have missed this? Even before my lumpectomy - I had my surgeon feel it - it flared up after my needle biopsy, and she said she would check it out. But it's still there. This node showed up on my breast MRI, and they biopsied it and it came back negative - but Dr. funk found that node they biopsied because it had the marker in it - and this one is different. Maybe it's nothing? Dr. Funk didn't like it because it's enlarged, round, and dark in the middle. I am hoping since it's been sitting in my body that the radiation would have killed cancer in it, and dr. funk said the tamaxofin would stop if from spreading and with my onco score it would take years to spread...I'm scared all over again.

But let me tell you about how awesome this appointment was! 2 hours long. Breast exam compared to all of my MRI/mammo/ultrasound images.

then we had a meeting to discuss reasons because I was diagnosed at 42 (she thought mine could be given by stress - I have a very high stress life) We talked about diet, alcohol, exercise, EVERYTHING else! She was very thourough and VERY VERY understanding and nice.

It was well worth the hour trip to get there - for all of the nutritional and healing reasons, but also because I caught this node earlier than if I would have waited for my 3d mammo coming up in November.

• norcals
    norcals Member Posts: 206
    edited September 2020
    Options

Cindimay77,

I’m so sorry to hear about the lymph node. It sounds like Dr. Funk did a much more thorough exam. I hope the biopsy turns out negative. I’m crossing my fingers and toes for you

I am reading Dr. Funk’s book now (thanks for the tip) and my partner wants me to make an appointment with her right away after I told him about your experience. It’s a long drive for me, but we have family in LA, so I’ll be contacting her office soon and hopefully she can see me.

• mountainlover
    mountainlover Member Posts: 59
    edited September 2020
    Options

CindyMay,

I have just joined but I read of your forthcoming biopsy, so fingers crossed from my side , too. .

Regarding wine, my Belgian MO said 1 glass of red per day would be fine. I asked about beer or white wine and he said no more than twice a week. I expected him to be stricter and I was relieved, as I enjoy a glass with my evening meals.

As for food he said to stick to a mediterranean / reasonably healthy diet. I am slim and originally from Italy so he assumed I ate healthy - he actually stated this to my amazement! He just said to keep an eye on sweets as AI lead to weight gain and sweet cravings.

• wallycat
    wallycat Member Posts: 1,252
    edited September 2020
    Options

My oncologist also said wine with dinner was fine. I think they simply don't know because a lot of the studies make a blanket statement about alcohol/wine/beer and we now know that epigenetics and genetics plays a bigger role than scientists can figure out at the moment.

I took folic acid/folate in my 20s/30s because I drank wine with dinner plus the occasional partying. Then I read that sometimes, that can increase risk of cancer instead of curbing it. Sure, it depends on your genetics but back in my 30s, they just didn't know or say much about that. I stopped taking it.

I've got my own opinion on some of these studies, but I'll spare you from reading them.

Life is short. Work on what you can and enjoy what you can. I used to ask my patients if any changes they made would affect how they felt a year or 5 down the road should those changes prove not to be helpful....decide based on that (for the most part).

• lillyishere
    lillyishere Member Posts: 770
    edited September 2020
    Options

I have always been a clean eater, I love fruit and veggies, vegetarian for many years, never smoked and a glass of good wine here and there with friends. My PCP told me last year that I will live a long and healthy life and two months later I was diagnosed with BC!!! I have stopped wine since my MO said it increases estrogen and I am ER+ 90%. In my extended family, the heavy drinkers and smokers lived in mid 90s and the healthy and sporty types died early so I am considering a glass of wine here and there with lots of water to flush it down (this advise is from my french friend :)).

• Phoenixrose8
    Phoenixrose8 Member Posts: 68
    edited April 2021
    Options

I am also very confused about alcohol after breast cancer. I drank wine/beer to help relax my muscles from severe muscle tension and pain caused by mental health problems. The only thing that dulled the pain was wine. That was the only thing that relaxed my muscles and the pain went away for a couple of hours.

My MO said only 1-2 glasses a week which is fine (I stopped drinking completely because I'm so scared) but what do cancer patients do on vacation? Can we have a little more? Will the alcohol inhibit the Tamoxifen from working?